My CCW got discovered

PDA

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 16, 2006, 06:14 AM
The other day I was in my apartment managers office checking my mail, and it just so happens to be the same place in the office that the employees go to smoke, well as I was finished checking my mail and started to walk back through the doors to the lobby so i could go home, my apartment manager stumble or something and when she did she caught herself right on right hip, where my 45xd just happened to be not visible and under my shirt of course.
She new what it was when it happened her whole hand was on it pretty good when she caught herself on my hip. I helped her up and explained that I am licesened to carry it it is completely legal (there are no postings on the building about ccw either.) She did look kinda startled and has not really spoken to me since, but nothing has been said, and no cops have come around questioning. So I guess all is well, but I am pretty sure I could not get into any trouble for this anyhow.

Thoughts.

If you enjoyed reading about "My CCW got discovered" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psyopspec
June 16, 2006, 06:17 AM
You man not be in the clear yet, but hopefully you're right and nothing ever comes up regarding it again.

I'm assuming this was IWB, possibly tucked? If there was an untucked t-shirt over it a casual look with a simple "Cell phone" might have been enough to throw her off.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 16, 2006, 06:21 AM
It was IWB and tucked with another shirt open in the front over it dont think she would have bought the cell phone bit.:o

Maser
June 16, 2006, 07:10 AM
Sounds to me she just caught you off guard. I wouldn't exactly worry or lose any sleep over it. So what if the cops get called on you. As long as your CCW permit is legit then you have no worries. Might want to think about getting a holster though.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 16, 2006, 07:32 AM
It is holstered in a leather IWB holster. The only reason why Im losing sleep is because Im at work. I hate night shift!:cuss:

Majic
June 16, 2006, 08:39 AM
The handgun was still concealed meaning not in plain sight so nothing can happen. Even if it prints it still isn't seen. Just because someone becomes aware of it if it wasn't seen then it's still concealed.

Don't Tread On Me
June 16, 2006, 09:09 AM
Majic is correct.

As concealed carriers, we are so law-abiding and careful, we over-worry too much. It would be beyond unreasonable for you to have legal problems because someone else grabbed onto your body.

Just read what the law says. In Florida, it describes being concealed and out of sight..ie - not detectable by sight. Doesn't say it has to be undetectable while being felt up. This is unreasonable, and I doubt any language in any shall-issue state law would punish detection via being bumped into or grabbed as brandishing a firearm.

SteveS
June 16, 2006, 10:05 AM
It was IWB and tucked with another shirt open in the front over it dont think she would have bought the cell phone bit.

I honestly don't know if she would have, but you would be surprised at how unobservant most people are. Additionally, despite an increase of the number of people carrying, most people don't expect that others are carrying. Therefore, they are likely to think it is something else, like a phone or a Leatherman.

AirForceShooter
June 16, 2006, 10:06 AM
so what!
you would think she found out you're gay.
You have a ccw and carry.
No worry's.

AFS

the naked prophet
June 16, 2006, 10:16 AM
I have had unexpected hugs, kidney punches, bumps, one lady got her purse strap caught on it in the line at Ted Drewe's frozen custard, and not once did anybody say anything or even give me a weird look. I even had my manager at Kroger (with a no-carry policy, but not posted) come up behind me and pat me on the back - a little low and to the right - and get a handful of gun, and he didn't even bat an eye. It's possible she didn't assume it was a gun until you said it was.

Just smile and continue to be friendly and courteous to her. She has nothing to worry about, and neither do you.

ball3006
June 16, 2006, 11:01 AM
People that touch me while I am carrying, are putting themselves in jepardy........chris3

quazi
June 16, 2006, 11:17 AM
I don't think it would have been a good idea to tell her that it was a cell phone. Lying generally isn't a good policy. If BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE had told her it was a cell phone, and she knew it to be a handgun by feel, at best she would have thought of him as a liar, at worst she might start wondering why he lied and call the police.

armedcitizen
June 16, 2006, 12:59 PM
What am I missing here? Why did you feel the need to tell her anything?

The lady falls into you, you ask her if she's alright and go on about your business. It's not her business about anything you have under your clothes.

Zundfolge
June 16, 2006, 01:07 PM
I understand the need for discretion, but frankly if we ever want to win the war as far as public opinion of CCW then the people need to know that honest, good people are the ones with CCW.

Most people who know me know I carry ... I often use response to my carrying as a barometer for whether I want to associate with someone.

But there have been many people who are fence sitters that once they find out that I carry they are curious, they ask questions and they learn.

CCW is not like a subscription to Juggs Magazine ... its not something we should hide in shame.

thumper723
June 16, 2006, 01:12 PM
That is supposed to be hidden!

Man, the Skippers wife is going to be PISSED when his "Birthday Present" from the Wardroom shows up.

psyopspec
June 16, 2006, 01:23 PM
I didn't mean to imply that there was a danger of you getting in legal trouble personally, just that with the wrong reaction from her, it may take a couple day's for signs to go up at your apartment manager's office.

Zen21Tao
June 16, 2006, 02:12 PM
I went to a Denny's one night at 2am with my carry gun IWB on my might hip. I ordered food to go, took of my jacket and sat at the counter with a cup of coffee waiting for my food to cook. What I didn't realize is that when I took my jacket off my shirt came up over my gun and fell over the gun between my side and the grip leaving it clearly visible. While I didn't notice it a table with about four police officers behind me did.

An officer walked up to my left side and put his hand on my sholder and another walked up on my right side and put his hand over the grip of my gun and leaned down and wispered to that my gun was showing. He asked my if I had a CCW to show him. I appologized for the gun showing and told him my CCW was in my wallet. He had me show it to him. After he saw my CCW he sat down next to me and began to give me tips on holsters and carry options. He handled the situation very respectfully without making an embarrising scene (which he would have been justified in making if he chose to).

I love Florida.

KMBRTAC45
June 16, 2006, 02:30 PM
CCW is not like a subscription to Juggs Magazine ... its not something we should hide in shame

I agree! Almost everyone I associate with knows I carry. I don't think we need to be paranoid about keeping it a secret.

Mannlicher
June 16, 2006, 02:46 PM
If you are concealed, and some one brushes up against you, its not a violation on your part. What she thinks of it is nothing you can control, nor should you worry about it. Frankly, I would not have said anything to her about it at all.
Hey, you are legal, and within your rights. Why are you feeling guilty?

Leanwolf
June 16, 2006, 03:13 PM
Let's see now. In an outta-the-way room, a babe just happens to "stumble" against you, starts feeling around your waist, maybe heading toward the front of your pants .......

Maybe she wanted a date??

Was she hot?? :)

L.W.

Nortonics
June 16, 2006, 03:54 PM
http://www.msnusers.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nFwAAAHoGAzyKCvi6gtG1iPXymDZHCquwkE8q5o2zAKZFT0Rua22ptQ

"Is that a gun or are you just..."

:D

bamawrx
June 16, 2006, 05:05 PM
This is normal. Kind of like when you first start CCW you are parnoid that everyone can tell. Well, its hard to learn how to handle being made.

I have had, we all have had, those side hugs, taps, pats, etc.. that give the unknowing person a handful of gun. I use the approach of not saying anything and playing it off completely. Pretend nothing happened, and they might think it was nothing. They will have to mention it to get any comment from me. So far, no one has said anything.

My predetermined answer for being asked if I'm CCW is that the item under my clothing is a life saving medical device, and I'd rather not discuss it.

That does two things: First its true. Second people don't get real personal with medical questions because it could be something embarassing.

Mizzle187
June 16, 2006, 05:11 PM
I know you dont want to be treated differently becuase she knows you carry or anything like that and it sucks that there are people that think you are a hitman if you carry but who gives a rats ass what she thinks or does. If she calls the cops she looks like a dummy. You never know she could call the cops get a lesson in the rights of most americans and start carrying herself! Now if you dont have a permit then thats a different story!

CSA 357
June 16, 2006, 08:17 PM
WITH A NAME LIKE ....BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE......HOW COULD SHE KEEP HER HANDS OFF OF YOU?:) :) *CSA*

Vern Humphrey
June 16, 2006, 08:23 PM
I don't worry about printing, or someone brushing up against me. I carry, I carry legally, and I ain't ashamed of it.

But if you're worried she might make trouble, the thing to do is say, "You might wanna wash your hands, Ma'am. You just grabbed my colostomy device.":p

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 16, 2006, 11:47 PM
Thank you all for your advice, and I do have a permit the only reason that I thought anything was this is my apartment manager and she does live on sight, so I did not want to lie to her or be dishonest in any way. I normally do see her often around the apartments or when I work out it has 24 hour gym on sight, I couldnt just walk away when I normally would have spoken to her she might have thought I was being rude, and she is attractive, but It would do her no good to hit on me since I AM MARRIED to a beautifull woman. But seeing how she is my manager I did not want her to try to make my life any harder. Still getting used to Washington, I moved here from a small town in Texas nobody cared if I had a gun there.

ExtremeDooty
June 16, 2006, 11:51 PM
Nortronics, thanks for the picture of my favorite witch. I almost cried when they canceled that show.

You just grabbed my colostomy device."

I've got to admit, I hadn't thought of that line before. And I'm not sure I want to use it either. The reaction could be hilarious though.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 17, 2006, 02:34 AM
I wouldnt be able to keep a strait face while saying colostomy device.:eek:

CPLofMARINES
June 17, 2006, 11:14 PM
BigDaddy, the only thing I would be concerned with is your company's policy regarding firearms.

Semper Fi!

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 17, 2006, 11:19 PM
Well the thing is I dont work here I live here.

CraigJS
June 18, 2006, 01:35 AM
Don't know what Washington law is, but in Minnesota they can't restrict you or your guests from carrying if you live there..(if you have a permit)

halfgone
June 18, 2006, 02:16 AM
Big Daddy,

I'm a WA rez, so here it is. You are cool. The state can't restrict you in your rez, so you can carry w/ or w/o permit (unimportant in this particular situation, but I thought I would tell you anyway). Second, little known, but WA is an Open carry state. I emailed the Dept. of Lic. to find out and can forward the email to you if you wish. Not that I would, because you would surely get dragged down town (especially in your area), but this means you have a little bit of leeway in case you get made or your shirt comes up or something like that. It's not like what I heard (unsubstantiated) that in TX if you get exposed there can be quite a (legal) hassle.

Welcome to WA, probably one of the best liberal states out there... not good enough for me to live here for the rest of my life, but good enough for now.

HG

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 18, 2006, 02:28 AM
Thank you all for the info, and Halfgone Im not sure about Texas I did not have a concealed carry license when I lived there.

jlh26oo
June 18, 2006, 05:56 AM
CCW is not like a subscription to Juggs Magazine ... its not something we should hide in shame.

And just *** is wrong with Juggs?!

jhco50
June 18, 2006, 08:04 PM
Some of you fellas worry too much and are all appoligetic about being a gun toting American. It seems even the gun fraturnity is knuckling under to the steriotyping of us. I don't have a CCW permit because in Colorado it is legal to carry openly. If this upsets some treehugger or sniveling nincompoop, I really don't care anymore. If the cops want to push it, I'm willing to go to court. I have just had it with the whole situation. I am an American and I have Constitutional rights and I'm tired of being politically correct.

KMBRTAC45
June 19, 2006, 04:53 PM
jhco50, +1

Web
June 19, 2006, 06:39 PM
When she looked at you strangely, you should have said, "No, it's not a gun, I'm just happy to see you.":o

JuryRig
June 19, 2006, 07:49 PM
The only law in WA that you would have to worry about is:
Washington Rev. Code 9.41.270 makes it unlawful for "any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner . . .that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

This is an strange law since it makes an action illegal if someone finds it intimidating or warrants alarm. So it is not what you do, but how someone else interprets what you are doing. There are enough hoplophobes out there that I make sure the gun stays out of sight, but if I'm ever charged with this breaking this law, I would fight it as it is unconstitutional IMHO.

The WA constitution states very clearly you have the right to carry:
"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..."

Manedwolf
June 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
This is why I like my state.

If you have a CCW permit:

1. If it's concealed, it's legal.
2. If it's revealed by accident, still legal.
3. If it's worn openly, still legal.

:D

one-shot-one
June 20, 2006, 02:06 PM
1. she has not spoken to you because she is embarassed that she is such a clutz.
2. if she does cause any trouble ask her about the sexual harasment? she did grab you right?

v8fbird
June 22, 2006, 10:20 PM
I am guessing from your story that some states don't allow open carry?

In VA, if your shirt is down, you're carrying concealed, if your shirt is up, you're open carrying. Either way, so what.

If you enjoyed reading about "My CCW got discovered" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!