308 handi rifle questions

PDA

Eat Beef
June 16, 2006, 12:18 PM
I've been thinking about grabbing a handi rifle (or other brand of el cheapo heavy barrel breakdown), mainly as a cheap, accurate 308 eater.

What's the word on them? Will I be happy at the range (1/4 MOA) with one?

I've heard that the triggers aren't all that great. Are they that bad? Can they be tuned, and how hard/expensive is it?

How hard does it kick/how loud is it in 308?

I shot a friend's 223, but it was several years ago and I really don't remember much about it, other than I hit what I was aiming at. Anyone know any differences between this gun in 223 and 308 (other than the obvious)?

Lastly, would I be better off just waiting until I can buy/build a nice bolt gun?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "308 handi rifle questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
June 16, 2006, 01:20 PM
To be honest if you want a consistant 1/4 MOA rifle you need to go for an F Class bench gun. There is no factory rifle that will consistantly shoot 1/4 MOA, and very few full custom rifles will do that.

But in my experience the Handi rifles are pretty accurate, I had a .35 Whelen for a while that was usually a 1 MOA gun (when you could stand the recoil for 5 shots). And I have shot a couple of the .223's that were consistant MOA rifles. The .308's should be reasonably accurate also, MOA or thereabouts, and shouldn't be too bad on recoil. Mine had around a 5 lb. trigger pull but was consistant and creep free, that made it a decent shooter.

For just a few dollars more you could get a Savage with Accutrigger which is a fine shooting rifle, although not pretty they have a very good reputation for consistant accuracy. I don't think I would let that stop me from getting a Handi rifle though, it just depends on whether you want single shot or a bolt gun.

Eat Beef
June 16, 2006, 03:21 PM
I got to thinking about that 1/4 MOA comment..........I prolly can't keep 'em that tight.

I guess I really meant sub MOA. I was thinking about a buddy's Rem 700 Varmint Special in 22-250 that I used to shoot a lot. I could make about as many as I wanted to shoot touch at 100. I guess it would shoot .5-.75 MOA on avg. for 5 rounds.

Still ticked that not only would he not sell it to me, but he moved to New Mexico, and rebarreled it to 7 '08.:fire:

Anyway, are these things as accurate as a good commercial heavy barrel (I'm thinking Rem 700), with a chance at better?

Brian Williams
June 16, 2006, 04:56 PM
Handi-Rifles are just that, Handy. I had one in 243 and my son has another. They were/are MOA guns. His was just under and mine hovered around MOA.

Get one they get you shooting in a caliber quickly and cheaply. Then as funds or desire builds you can upgrade.

PS do not skimp on a scope.

Brian Williams
June 16, 2006, 05:01 PM
Handi-Rifles are just that, Handy. I had one in 243 and my son has another. They were/are MOA guns. His was just under and mine hovered around MOA.

Get one they get you shooting in a caliber quickly and cheaply. Then as funds or desire builds you can upgrade.

PS do not skimp on a scope.

NEF/H&R will do a trigger job for a small fee. look at hr1871.com

Also get a rubber O ring the diameter of the forearm screw and put it between the forearm and the barrel

If you enjoyed reading about "308 handi rifle questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!