Has anyone ordered or received an order from Eric at HBE leather?

PDA

Fat_46
June 16, 2006, 01:18 PM
I can't seem to get in touch with the guy to check on status of my holster. Is everything OK with him?

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone ordered or received an order from Eric at HBE leather?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jashobeam
June 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
I was trying to be patient while waiting for my holster from HBE. I figured he was perhaps a little behind schedule. The real problem is that I don't remember how long he said I would have to wait to receive it. His website said 4-8 weeks, but I think he told me 8-12 weeks (he definitely didn't give me an ETA of longer than 16 weeks).

Anyway, I placed my order on March 2nd. I paid by credit card, and my records show that he did in fact draw payment from my card. I called him about three weeks ago and left a message inquiring about the status of my order. I then called him again about two weeks ago and left a similar message. I have not heard back from him. I did not try emailing him yet though. It's been about 14 or 15 weeks since I placed my order, which is still close enough to the time frame to not be unduly concerned. My only concern (until now) was my fear that perhaps my order had been misplaced or forgotten, which is why I had called Mr. Larsen to check my order's status. I hope he is all right. Maybe he is on a wonderful vacation somewhere. At this point, if everything works out, I would continue to do business with HBE Leatherworks. I am not angry, but I am growing nervous.

rustymaggot
June 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
out of curiosity i googled the name and found the website. his name is the same as my first grade teachers name was. makes me wonder if its the same guy.

sorry, my post is very pointless.

Fat_46
June 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
I placed my order January 3. At that time he said 12-16 weeks. At 14 I e-mailed him and got a "pretty soon answer". At 18 I called him, got a "yours is almost to the top of the list" answer, and I have now sent e-mails 2 weeks ago and today with no response. I'm REALLY nervous now (especially in light of the fact that I told the wife that the custom made holster would be soooo much better than anything I could buy in a store in order to get the pursestrings loosened...)

jashobeam
June 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
I just sent an email to Eric Larsen at HBE Leatherworks expressing my concerns and notifying him of this thread at THR. Hopefully I get a response soon.

jashobeam
June 16, 2006, 02:48 PM
Fat 46,

That is not comforting news. Why on earth would someone so behind as that continue to take on more orders without at least being up front about the time line? Well, maybe he's optimistic about his efficiency. He did tell me that it would be longer than the 8 weeks stated on his website. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he truly believed he could do it in 16 weeks. Perhaps he has had some bad health or urgent family business that required much of his recent attention. If at some point he realized that he would be missing his deadlines it would have been a nice courtesy for him to have taken the time to notify his customers.

roo_ster
June 16, 2006, 04:54 PM
I ordered leather from Eric a while back and I would say that what y'all describe is out of character.

I hope the fellow is alright. Maybe he has more work than he can satisfy.

Langenator
June 16, 2006, 07:19 PM
I bought a holster from HBE a couple of years ago. I did have to wait quite a while (around 12 weeks, IIRC) to get my holster. This was, to the best of my recollection, right around when Eric started his business. You'd hope he would have improved his turnaround time.

It's a great holster, though.

Sven
June 16, 2006, 09:09 PM
I run HBE's site, he had me update the welcome message on his site earlier this year, to say:

Dear Customers,

Good day and hope the New Year has been a blessed for you as it has for me. This is a brief letter to let you know the *how the hell?* is the shop and HBE Specialty LeatherWorks. I know some of you are concerned about me being behind. Let your heart not be troubled*.K? I do apologize humbly and professionally. During the month of Dec. I had bronchitis, my first time like this, and the fumes literally made me sick while in my shop. I*ve done my best to answer emails with you having questions, I believe my spam filter may have killed some of the replies*not sure.

I am moving my shop again at the end of this month. This will help me in a situation to get caught up more quickly as Ill have less distractions to deal with on a daily basis and can concentrate more on my business.

My apologies to those whom are late/past there speculated ship date. If you contact me and we can work out a realistic ship date*Ill throw in a free mag holster for your patience or give you 25% off of your next order. It*s the least I can do.

All of my clients who trust me with their leather work, I am humbled by all of the business I*ve gotten lately. Sincerely, Im so blessed*and look forward to getting you your stuff. Please be patient and call me if you have any questions of any kind.

Sincerely,

Eric Larsen
H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks.

His Cell: 801-916-9248 10AM to 8PM Mountain Time

Snagglepuss
June 16, 2006, 09:13 PM
Fat 46, I am in the same situation as you. Ordered the first week of January. 4-5 weeks ago I got an email stating I would get my holster in "a couple of weeks" Oh well, it better be as good as I have heard. He told me his spam filter is holding a lot of his mail back, Hmmmm. Well I will just keep waiting. When I talked to him at order time he was very helpful and seemed like a great guy.

VWTim
June 18, 2006, 12:37 AM
FWIW, Eric had posted on hipowersandhandguns recently about his delays. IIRC it had to do with moving and some other family issues. But someone on the Makarov forum over on Gunboards posted this same type of thread the other day and his just arrived, so Eric is indeed still shipping holsters.

XDTOM40
June 18, 2006, 07:56 PM
I just received mine the end of March. I ordered Spt 1st, 2005 and was quoted 14 weeks. It was well over that. It was worth the wait though, it is one beautiful holster. I got the COM3 with shark trim and loops.

I know he has had health and personal issues that have interfered. It happens to all of us. He'll take good care of you, I am sure. I would order again, but will prepare for a long wait. It feels good to have a quality custom holster, no doubt. Something I will treasure for sure.

Good Luck!
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4411/dsc017778yj.th.jpg (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc017778yj.jpg)

Snagglepuss
June 18, 2006, 08:03 PM
Hey XD, that is my holster. Not really but I ordered the same one only for a 1911 commander. It is a different color holster but same trim. It looks great just as I had been hoping. Thanks for the post, it is very encouraging. :rolleyes:

Fat_46
June 19, 2006, 12:11 PM
Actually, that looks like the one I'm waiting on too, but mine is for a Commander length 1911, in Cordovan, with sharskin accents.

Snagglepuss
June 19, 2006, 12:57 PM
Fat, I wasn't as specific but the one you ordered is exactly what I ordered. Hope you get yours soon.

Snag

PCRCCW
June 19, 2006, 05:00 PM
Hey guys.....its been months since I checked out THR.....sorry for that!

Heres a letter thats going on my website for all of you....hope this explains everything............

Shoot well and god bless!

"This is to let you all know where Im at currently and frankly this is probably one of the hardest things Ive done.
I am behind by a fair amount. I have some holsters that are as far out as 7-8months due to circumstances in my shop, mold rework, materials that are just not that easy to get anymore etc. That happens in the world of holster making from time to time.

But thats isnt the reason for most of the tardiness. I dont want to sound like Im making excuses for anything because I feel like thats a cop out and dont want to come across that way! Frankly, Im not like that, most of you who know me know that to be fact! Anyway, on that note.... here goes.

Things have happened in my life lately that have frankly, blindsided me. My beautiful, sweet wife and kids are now no longer in my life, at least not as they were. I recently got divorced, like many of you have and it has taken its tole on me in a way I didnt and couldnt expect. Its screwed up my production times and the communication with my customers. I cannot apologize for this enough....you all have my personal and professional "IM SO SORRY!" For what its worth, its from the heart!

It pains me greatly to come on the internet and say....."Ive been screwed up because of this, but Im getting better!" I dont air my dirty laundry....but when I took on this job, which I love more than anything Ive ever done, I became a "more public" figure than I had been in the past. Now, where I got my business started and kept it going, on the internet, is where I must state the facts of my situation.

Please, please dont take this as Im making excuses for my being late with your leather and being slow to answer email....that is simply not the case. I am simply letting you know what is going on in my life and business and asking for you patience, faith and most importantly your on going support. I want to keep making holsters for a living and giving you guys some of the best leather I can make!

I am still making holsters/leather to the best of my ability! Im averaging 12-15 a week and will get my back log caught up within 2-3 months. At that time, I should be back to my quoted production time......

If you have leather that is behind....please contact me...Id love to talk with you.
Emails are getting caught up slowly so if you want a quick answer, please call me.

Thank you for your patience, support and understanding and God Bless you all.

Sincerely,
Eric Larsen/HBE"

Snagglepuss
June 19, 2006, 05:40 PM
Eric, you have my support. I am in the same situation right now and I know how priorities seem to change even when you try to do the opposite. Take your time. I would rather have a true HBE holster rather than one that was made on the catch up. Take care.

jashobeam
June 20, 2006, 01:04 PM
Mr. Larsen,

Thank you for your honesty. I am terribly sorry to learn of your present family situation. You have my condolences as well as my ongoing support for your business. Take your time. I will wait patiently for an HBE cordovan with shark skin trim holster for my CZ P-01 with matching magazine holster.

Fat_46
June 20, 2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the update. It must have been extraordinarily difficult to write. I, too, will be waiting (not sure how patiently...I'm like a kid on Christmas morning when it comes to new toys).

Good luck

rbernie
June 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
Eric's good people. Moreover, I have a HBE ComII and it's my favorite rig. Well worth the wait.

Eric - sorry to hear this. Seems like just yesterday I was reading about your upcoming nuptials on the CZ forum. Been there, done that, buddy, and it sucks. Take care....

PCRCCW
July 1, 2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words and this too shall pass, just not soon enough!
Shoot well and god bless

maclean
July 2, 2006, 09:27 AM
Eric:
I received your email response last night, sincere thanks for your understanding. All things considered, the status of my order isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned - just get to it when you're able and I'm sure it'll turn out fine. With a bit of luck, my financial situation will improve in time and I'll be able to place a few more orders with you for all that C&R stuff I'm drooling over... how about a tuckable COM 3 for a .303 Enfield? :D

Hope you find the strength and faith to guide you through this difficult time in life. Best wishes and a prayer for your well being.
Jack

armoredman
July 2, 2006, 10:18 AM
Eric, I'm sorry. Hope things work out, even though under the black cloud it can seem so far away.
I still need to get a COMIII from ya, when I get my pennies together!
Guys, if you need good gunleather, and can wait for quality, buy HBE - we have a few here, and they are awesome rigs. My wife won't wear any other rig than her HBE COMIII for her RAMI.

kart racer
July 6, 2006, 05:13 PM
I have 4 holsters from Eric,he's a good guy and you will be pleased with the holster.I waited longer than stated on all of them,except one he had already built and had for sale.Best wishes for ya Eric.Joe

usp_fan
July 10, 2006, 09:01 AM
Eric,

I'm sorry about your current situation. My wife read your post and expressed her sympathy. She still appreciates your excellent customer service in getting that Christmas present (COM III) built and shipped so quickly. Take care,

--usp_fan

nomadboi
July 10, 2006, 09:39 PM
Not dirty laundry, just full disclosure... I know I was a bit worried and annoyed last year, not knowing what was going on with my Steyr holster when it was about four months past when I was told to expect it. Did get it though.

Fat_46
August 16, 2006, 08:40 AM
Just wanted to update everyone. Its now been over 36 weeks (next Monday, August 21 will be 37 weeks) since I ordered and paid for my holster. So far, no joy. No contact with Eric, either. Not sure what hours he answers his phone, but I know its not between 10am and 7pm Central time.

Anyone else hear anything lately?

Northwet
August 27, 2006, 08:01 PM
I have an order with Eric, placed January 16, now 7 months and waiting. Like others, he has not responded to my emails for more than two months.

Caveat Emptor on orders folks,
North"wet"

LiquidTension
August 29, 2006, 06:10 AM
My order was about a month or two late, but when it arrived he also sent a mag carrier. I'd talked to Eric a few times and knew that he was having troubles so I wasn't too upset about it. I like the mag carrier better than the Andrews carrier I already had, and the holster is excellent. I'll do business with him again after he gets caught up.

nomadboi
August 29, 2006, 12:46 PM
Hm, yeah- I don't think I would have minded if I'd gotten a mag carrier either. That's the problem with these chat boards- those who don't get the extra goodies feel left out.

lance22
August 29, 2006, 09:00 PM
I wish I had a nickel for every time I've posted on a forum about HBE Leatherworks. He is a craftsman par excellence. I have at least one holster from all of the illuminaries of the trade ... every one of them made by craftsman and my HBE stands out as a star in a great collection.

I have holsters - from TOP names - that are too tight, too bulky, some evidentally made on Friday by a Jr. Apprentice. Not so with my HBE. Perfect balance of retention and presentation. The quality of the finish if flawless. The smallest detail obviously given great attention and well thought out.

I'm not in the "cult of leather". I think very highly of BearClaw Holsters and Dan Hillsman, both of whom make top quality custom Kydex. In fact I prefer kydex. But when I go leather, Eric's holster seems to be the one I grab.

Eric ... good luck with everything and keep pluggin' away.

Fat_46
August 30, 2006, 07:19 AM
I wish I had a nickle for every unanswered e-mail I have sent Eric.

I'm happy that those who actually received an HBE holster are happy with theirs. Some people got free stuff as well. Good for you.

For the rest of us who have plunked down hard earned money and have seen dates and promises slip away, the glowing reports on HBE seem to be of a different holster maker, at a different time.

I understand personal turmoil. I understand priorities. I don't understand a man breaking his word repeatedly.

I have given up hope of ever seeing my holster, and hope Eric can put the money he took from me to good use, because it is the last of my money he will ever see.

jashobeam
August 31, 2006, 09:04 PM
Here's my latest update.

About three weeks ago I became extremely annoyed (after having called him several times over the preceding weeks without receiving a response) and sent Eric Larsen an email explaining my frustration. I will hold off posting the contents of my email. Eric replied by email on August 16, apologized, and guaranteed that my order would be shipped the following week (which was last week--week ending August 26). Today is Thursday, August 31. I do not know how long it takes to ship a holster but I am willing to allow up to three weeks. On September 16 (which I believe allows for a very generous shipping time) I will post on this thread and update everyone as to whether or not my order arrived.

My order consists of a holster for a P-01 and a double magazine holster, both with shark trim. My order was originally placed on March 2, 2006. I hope that Mr. Larsen is doing well.

lance22
September 2, 2006, 10:37 AM
>both with shark trim.

You've GOTTA post pics of that when it comes in!

jashobeam
September 10, 2006, 04:41 AM
I just received my order today! It came USPS Priority Mail. Mr. Larsen left me a voicemail today asking if I'd received my order. I had to work until 9:30pm and couldn't wait to get home and check my mail. Here are some pics of my holster and mag holder from Eric Larsen at HBE Leatherworks. They are cordovan with black shark trim. I am not much of a photographer and my "camera" is a Canon digital video camcorder that is only 1.3 Megapixels.

Frontside

Backside

Empty

The fit is excellent. I had been worried about not having a retention strap, but when I holstered the gun and shook the holster upside down the gun remained holstered and gave me confidence. I am very pleased with my holster and magazine holder. They look great. I have no experience with a pancake holster and so will have to experiment a little to find out exactly where it is "supposed" to go. The Dickies pants I am wearing seem to possibly have belt loops in places that are less than ideal for wearing a belt holster. Nevertheless, I was impressed with my initial dress-rehearsal. I wore it around my apartment underneath a Hawaiian shirt (of course). It's late and I'm tired but I wanted to share with everyone my joy at having received something for which I have been patiently waiting. Thank you Eric! You do beautiful work.

Jashobeam

Snagglepuss
September 10, 2006, 09:55 AM
When did you order your holster, date wise. I have been waiting for 8 months. Your pics are beautiful and just make me all the more excited for mine to arrive.

Car Knocker
September 10, 2006, 03:05 PM
The Dickies pants I am wearing seem to possibly have belt loops in places that are less than ideal for wearing a belt holster.

Belt loops can be easily moved and resewn.

jashobeam
September 10, 2006, 04:14 PM
I placed my order on March 2, 2006. Eric's voicemail is ofen full and therefore unusable. Try PMing him here on THR. That worked well for me. I hope you get your order soon.

Good idea about resewing belt loops.

Northwet
September 15, 2006, 07:16 PM
It would be nice if orders were actually on a 'first in-first out' basis, but apparently they're not.
My order was place on Jan. 16 and paid for on Jan. 20. No holster yet. Mine was a LH tuckable Pro out of horsehide for a High-Power. And still no replies from Eric.

Caveat Emptor

North"wet"

PCRCCW
September 19, 2006, 09:07 AM
Hey guys......I just want you all to know that if you call me, I can take care of any and all of this. My number is 801-916-9248. Please dont leave a message, my voice mail says its full...because TMobile isnt letting me delete old messages.
For those of you who are emailing me and my spam filter is eating your stuff...just call me.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
Shoot well and god bless

armoredman
September 19, 2006, 10:05 AM
I have/had three HBE holsters, outstanding stuff. One goes with me to and from work everyday, and the other is on my wife's belt. The first was sold with my old Witness when I was scrabbling for cash, or it would never have gone anywhere!

Fat_46
September 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
My new holster finally arrived. The fit, finish, and worksmanship are top notch. The black sharksin against the cordovan leather look incredible.

Northwet
September 29, 2006, 10:40 PM
My LH tuckable Pro arrived yesterday :) . Finely made product and a nice, tight fit for my Hi-Power.
I ordered a Pro as I'm in civil service and could see having to unclip the firearm and lock it up one or more times a day.
FYI, there are now two clip types available. I went with the one that will optionally grasp a waistline without using a belt, if desired.
North"wet"

Jordan
December 17, 2006, 04:24 PM
Well it would appear that belly-aching here on THR might get your holster "gotten to".

I don't doubt that the quality of the product is top notch.. however, most top notch vendors realize that "quality" is a big word that encompasses more than just the finished product. Customer care, honesty, and follow through, if ignored, can derail a vendor's "quality" reputation.

Any of you who deal with Dillon Precision, for example, know what I mean. They make pretty good reloading equipment.. why don't they just stop there? Why bother keeping their word or at least communicating when they can't? Why bother returning messages or emails?

What thoughts go through one's head as they scroll through a full email/voicemail box saying, "Not gonna' answer that one... or that one... no, not that one either... ... .. OH! Here's one for a new order! I'll have to get right back to him!"

Well I haven't waited six+ months beyond the outside estimated time for my order so I may as well settle in for the long haul.

PCRCCW
December 30, 2006, 03:26 PM
Hey to all.
This is the slow bastard in question. My shop flooded and my computer fried itself...but Im still here. My lead times have been alot more than I could have anticipated at times....and I wont make excuses. Im dancing as fast as I can....
If anyone has questions....PLEASE DONT EMAIL ME! I lost over 6000 emails when my computer fried and YES, from now on I will back them up. But just call me and we can go from there.
God bless, happy holidays and shoot well.
Eric

armoredman
December 30, 2006, 04:44 PM
I lost the $ I had saved, to medical bills, but I will get my rig as soon as I can save the pennies again. Eric's work is worth waiting for, in my humble opinion.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0447.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/JoPCR2.jpg

PCRCCW
December 31, 2006, 02:43 PM
Dave,
Your comments are humbling.....I appreciate it. You should see what I do now....the pics are great but are years ago and everything has gotten SO MUCH BETTER!........
Happy holidays and god bless

bass806
December 31, 2006, 03:54 PM
Eric,
I've tried your phone and am unable to leave a message. Please contact me. I've left voice mails and emails concerning my PCR holster,many before your little flooding incident-and all were unanswered.. If you recall, you sent a holster to me and it was not for the PCR and you told me you were having mold problems. My patience are about up sir.

Randy

jessegpresley
January 2, 2007, 06:05 AM
duplicate post

jessegpresley
January 2, 2007, 06:06 AM
My sympathies for Mr. L, as HBE must be the unluckiest holster maker around. Bronchitis, computer frying, T-Mobile not letting him access his voicemails, spam filter erasing emails, a divorce adding to his backlog, a plumbing leak, and when I finally spoke to him, problems with his landlord (if I remember one of the reasons for my holster which was purchased out of inventory and advertised to ship within 3 days took over a month to arrive). Sounds like the email problem must be fixed, because even though I didn't get a response to 3 emails (not including a PM sent through THR), he later used one of them to reply to me saying my holster was finally in the mail. Lets hope 07 is more kind to him and his.

sportsterguy
February 16, 2007, 04:23 PM
I too ordered a holster from Eric some 7 months ago. His website is still up but both e-mail addresses are inactive. I have sent numerous e-mails and made multiple phone call with absolutely 0 replies. My last conversation with him he made the excuse that he was out of the leather required for my order. If you call his number you will get his voice mail box which is full and he will not answer the phone. I sent $75.00 for an HBE Askins holster in good faith and he has definately not kept up his part of the bargain. My next step is to call the BBB of North Salt Lake City to explain the horrible service I've received.

If you google HBE on one of the links he apoligizes for his tardiness due to marital problems. I feel sorry for the gent but I just want my money back to purchase a Galco IWB.

If you are reading this Eric just give me my har earned money back!!

Sportsterguy

As they say buyer beware. In this case I recommend that you take your business elsewhere and if you havent received your holster like me call the BBB

roo_ster
February 16, 2007, 04:41 PM
A buddy of mine, to whom I recommended HBE, tried to contact Eric to no avail.

HBE did me right when I ordered a couple years back, though.

It is too bad. I can't suggest HBE in good faith, anymore, to folks who are seeking a holster.

PCRCCW
February 16, 2007, 05:15 PM
Ok....Im very very confused. First off.....My email seems to be working just fine.....I dont get that? For anyone who has an order with me, call me or if you have left me a voice mail Ill get back with you very soon. My mail box got full when I had a funeral to attend out of state.

Im still here....and Im back on the net. Yes...last year was very um, er...interesting to say the least. If Ive ever had a year when everything I touched turned to )#$#_$( that was it. But Im still cranking out holsters and they are getting better and better.

Please get in touch with me....thanks.
Good bless and shoot well.

Jordan
February 17, 2007, 12:48 AM
I too have seen a couple of projected completion dates come and go. Hey, if you're slow as damn molasses.. that's fine. I understand you're not a big factory with a bunch of Mexicans slaving away on my holster.

But I'd prefer HONESTY over OPTIMISM. Don't tell me 3-5 months when you know damn well it's going to be more like 10. I'd be happier if you told me 12 months and then delivered in 10.

Running a good business takes more than just a good product.

scalhoun
February 17, 2007, 04:11 PM
Like others have already voiced, I too have an order outstanding. Placed the order back in Oct had several emails back and forth with Eric at that time. Since then however he has not returned a phone call or email. Had I read this thread prior to Oct I never would have placed the order.

sportsterguy
February 17, 2007, 10:47 PM
After I posted my comments last night I received a call from Mr. Larson concerning my order. He assured me that my holster will be completed no later than 3 weeks from last night. I truly hope that that is the case. If it arrives on time I will repost on this and other web sites that Eric is a man of his word.

Eric if you read this please hold true to your completion date and I will positively help you out financially in the future by placing another order.

Sportsterguy

steveracer
February 17, 2007, 11:42 PM
Not as long of a wait as Milt Sparks, and very, very nice. You'll like his stuff. I feel very badly for him. My divorce rocked me to the foundation.

bass806
February 18, 2007, 01:31 PM
I wasn't going to air my experience with HBE until I read some of the negative posts on THR and numerous other sites. I ordered a Com 3 from him last April, paid in full over the phone. He quoted a delivery time of 10-12 weeks. After 4 months and no contact I began emailing and calling him. I got all the standard excuses or no reply at all. I finally caught him on his cell phone and was told my CZ PCR holster would be on the way within a week. It did indeed arrive approx. one week later. However, it was for the wrong gun!!! it was made for a full size CZ and not the PCR. I immediately called Eric and he told me he made it that way on purpose-the holster had about 1.5" of extra room in the muzzle area. I told him I thought it was for a full size and I would look at it more closely and call him back. I phoned him back and he admitted that it was not for the PCR, his PCR mold was not usable and he wasn't sure when it would be available or even if it could be fixed to make a new holster. He offered to make me a different holster for a different gun. I requested a refund and was told to ship it back and he would refund my money. I finally just decided to keep the holster and sell it myself instead of messing with return postage and such. I will never use or recommend his business. I know some people have had good experiences with him and his product appears sound, but there are other things that go with running a good business just as there are other holster makers that I will now call on. Attached is a list of excuses I've received from him directly or quotes from Eric pulled from various sites.

PCRCCW
February 21, 2007, 11:11 AM
Bass, Im sorry if things went to hell and back with your order. You can post anything you want...personally, it seems your out to save the world from me...and thats fine.

Everything I posted on the net and told you is fact.......Ive never had a year like the last one.

Sport....your holster shipped today. Let me know what you think and thanks for your patience.

I wish you all the best.......

Shoot well and god bless

scalhoun
February 21, 2007, 04:36 PM
I also received a call from Eric after my post. Seems my order wasn't lost afterall, as I had feared, just a little late. Hope to see a holster for my UT II Kimber making it's way to my house in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll post a follow up upon receipt.

kart racer
February 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
I have three holsters and a belt from Eric.All took a little longer than the quoted times,but the workmanship was worth the wait.

I'm not gonna make excuses for him,I know things happen,but I do believe he tries to be true to his word and will get my next order.Hopefully,this year will bring a great new start and many others can experience his fine work.

lance22
February 22, 2007, 02:36 PM
One might be the greatest craftsman on the planet, but if the business end of the enterprise isn't in good order, what good is it?

PCRCCW
February 22, 2007, 05:40 PM
Lance, Good point and very true.
Shoot well and god bless

sportsterguy
February 24, 2007, 05:55 PM
Eric comes though!! I would like to thank Eric for making good on his word and delivering my COM III 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Tried it out today and the holster is the cats meow for carrying my SA1911. Looks Great, Feels Great and my LEO daughter and hubby could not tell I was packing with just a H-D t-shirt on!! Was worth the wait.

Eric I'll give you some time to catch up and then place my next order for my CZ75 SP-01.

I wish you the best of luck in the future Eric, just don't work yourself to death.

God bless ya and thanks again,

Roger (Sportsterguy)

roo_ster
February 25, 2007, 12:51 AM
The best treatment for a battered reputation is a glut of satisfied customers.

I hope Eric comes through for lotsa customers & those customers tell us about it.

If not, well, I still count myself fortunate to own one of his creations.

Jordan
February 25, 2007, 05:14 PM
Eric: I'd like to be the next one to gush your praises.

You last stated, at the beginning of January (at which time this holster was already overdue), that it would be here by the first week of Feb... Well we're coming up on March here real quick.

Send Josh Holloway in Eagle River, AK a holster for his P-01 and I'll come on THR to say how you're a holster-making hero and all that.

Again: It's not being a SLOW custom holster maker that's the problem. It's missed delivery projections that frustrate and worry people.

PCRCCW
February 25, 2007, 06:45 PM
Josh.....give me a call, if you can.
Shoot well and god bless

Jordan
March 16, 2007, 02:29 AM
Josh.....give me a call, if you can.

I called. Were you going to return my message??

PCRCCW
March 17, 2007, 10:37 AM
Josh...I just got it...Ill call you later today.
Shoot well and god bless

Jordan
March 20, 2007, 12:56 AM
A week has past since I left my message. No return call/message.

Please return my call. If you are thinking about posting here on THR about how you are GOING to return it.. just actually return it instead. If you don't get me when you call that's okay. Just leave a message with the REAL delivery date of my holster.

I look forward to hearing from you Eric. Thank you.

Jordan
April 8, 2007, 02:43 PM
Another promised delivery date come and gone.

Eric finally returned my phone message... two weeks later... and told me in no uncertain terms that this holster would be in my hand by the end of this last week.

Why wasn't I even suprised as Thursday, Friday, Saturday passed with no package? Maybe because this was the THIRD deadline promise broken?

Unbelievable... really.

clifford3355
April 10, 2007, 01:11 PM
I waited for 8 months to get a holster I was promised would be ready in 12 weeks.I was treated the same way my email and calls were not returned.I went on COMBAT CARRY and made a post about HBE to get my money back that seemed the only way to get in touch with him.I have a problem with people taking my money and not doing what they promise.

scalhoun
April 10, 2007, 05:42 PM
Just when I was about to give up on ole Eric, the holster has arrived!

Looks good, I'll post up a pic when I get a chance.

Jordan
April 11, 2007, 12:06 AM
Scalhoan: Glad to hear of your good fortune. Can you tell us what you ordered and your approximate order date to give the rest of us an idea what REAL delivery times are running?

It's frustrating to talk to the guy and have a real "come-to-Jesus" understanding of when you will DEFINATELY have your new holster..................... and then the day comes/goes and you realize: No, that was just more BS.
We've had a couple of those now.

scalhoun
April 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
For me the delivery was about 24 weeks vs the 6 to 8 quoted. Ordered on Oct 26th, received yesterday. No idea if his deliveries are any better now or not.

Diverdave
April 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
I have two of his holsters and a mag holder. Definitley worth the wait.

Jordan
April 12, 2007, 02:37 AM
Diver-- Yeah it's not the wait that I'm complaining about. It's the dishonest projections.
Like I said in an earlier post-- I'd prefer HONESTY over OPTIMISM. Don't tell me 3-5 months when you know damn well it's going to be more like 10. I'd be happier if you told me 12 months and then delivered in 10.

So Scalhoun ordered late October and just got his holster-- I ordered early August and am still waiting, being led on and let down.

Don't take me wrong.. I'm not sore at Scalhoun.. I'm happy for him.. but what gives?

Jordan
May 10, 2007, 12:46 AM
Eric: I'd have loved to vent my frustration to you directly on this but I’ve already left another unreturned message and now your voice mail is full.

Man, the lies and the BS have just gone on long enough. I've been pretty patient and pretty civil considering.

I meant to get on here this evening and list out all the promised delivery dates that have come and effin gone... but, to be honest, I've lost track.

Here's his latest claim--

After several coversations saying stuff like, "Oh yeah, your order's coming up." Then he comes out with, "Oh, I actually mailed that out to you 6 weeks ago".

Well, whatever. Just please hurry along the "replacement".
Really, what I said to myself was I'd give him the advatage of the doubt regarding the "lost in the mail" thing based on his honesty regarding this next promise-->

Eric gave me his word-- he said "you have my word.."-- That the holster would be in my hands by late last week. We're at over TWO weeks now and... I don't know.. maybe this one’s lost in the mail too.

And you can't tell me that the Postal Service is just slow because I've ordered several things since then via USPS and they all arrived within a couple of days.

At this point just return my money. I regret having tried to do business with you. I've never experienced anything like this in my life and I'm done with it. Just send me a refund check please... and make sure it has a tracking number.

ftfd622
May 16, 2007, 10:03 PM
I also have not been able to get a hold of Eric. Ordered a new holster in October 2006 but no answer to e-mails and Voicemail is always full. I would really like to know status of order.

Jordan
May 17, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm going to post every week that nothing happens with this as an update to those who may be waiting for an order, and as a warning to anyone considering placing an order. A diary of sorts.

Order placed first part of August '06--

17May... no word. Hasn't returned voice mail, voice mail "full" for the last two weeks. Hasn't returned email. Hasn't returned THR PM. Last word from Eric was a drop dead PROMISE that the holster would be in my hands three weeks ago.

Currently awaiting requested refund check.

Jordan
May 24, 2007, 10:21 PM
another week passed with n o t h i n g ...

None of my many messages, emails, PMs, etc. have been returned. Voice mail box remains full. No holster or refund check have arrived.

What recourse does one have?

Cowbiker
May 26, 2007, 12:43 AM
My intial order dates back to late April/early May of 06, and I was charged a reasonable price about the same time. Many months have passed since then; being a craftsman of sorts myself, I'm willing to wait for quality and attention to detail all of which is VERY evident in the sample pictures on the HBE site and the glowing reviews HBE Leather wearers typically offer.

I too have been unsucessful in recent attempts to contact HBE. Voice mailbox has been full for two weeks, voice message weeks prior have gone unanswered, yet the website was updated to say 1yr wait from the 6-7 month wait during the time I was able to get a voice mail message in.

Previously I've spoken to Eric and recieved return calls; the lack of response/feedback has been within the past two months. I resorted to a snail mail letter over a week ago that has yet to get a response either.

Does anyone know what's going on with Eric/HBE?

kingpin008
May 26, 2007, 02:43 AM
Good lord.

Jordan, thank you for keeping your "vigil", as it were. I've heard of Eric and his craftsmanship, and when I buy my first holster he would have been a front-runner for my dollars...but this thread is absolutely unreal.

I don't know Eric, other than seeing his work (which is amazing) and hearing of HBE on various forums..but there's something else going on here, and I'd be damn suprised if it got better anytime soon.

Good luck to ya'll still waiting for leather, and good luck to Eric when it comes to restoring your rep.

Cowbiker
May 31, 2007, 12:39 AM
http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

hbeleatherworks.com expired on 05/21/2007 and is pending renewal or deletion.

Has anyone local to the shop been able to speak w/ Eric as of late?

maclean
May 31, 2007, 12:46 AM
Uhhhhh, that doesn't look too promising.

Jordan
May 31, 2007, 06:49 PM
Time for my weekly sitrep:

Eric's voice mail box finally became available a few days ago. I left (another) message reminding him that I wished to be refunded. I called again the next day in hopes of reaching him for confirmation that he got the message. He didn't pick up so I left another message to that effect.

What I can't understand at this point-- I know it may take a long time to make a holster... but it doesn't take much time at all to drop a refund check in the mail. It takes even less time to dial a phone to explain why the check hasn't reached me weeks ago.
Is there a backlog of checks to write and mail out too? Is that what's taking so long? I have to wait my turn? C'mon.

HorseSoldier
June 1, 2007, 01:31 PM
I've also been waiting on one of his holsters that should have been ready, per his quote, last October. I'm leaning towards thinking that money is just gone down the drain, with the delivery date being eight months past due at this point.

JimChapman
June 5, 2007, 08:32 PM
I decided to join this forum and jump in since I too have been waiting a very long time. Good things are usually worth the wait but this is getting out of hand. My order was not that complex. I placed it on April 10, 2006. I ordered a right hand, classic style pancake holster for an EAA Witness P Compact in .45 ACP, open top, medium ride hight, FBI cant in a cordovan finish with 1 1/2" belt slots. Pistol carried in condition 1. I also ordered a single and double mag holster. Paid $164 on my Visa (which I did see the charge on my statement) and quoted 16 weeks. I talked to him a few times after the 16 weeks and it was always the same 2 weeks. I finally got a different line last April where Eric did ask my address and said that mine was one of the orders that flooded. At that time he said I would get it in a week. Of course that was 6 weeks ago.
The pistol is a great shooter, better then my SA 1911A1 and Browning HP and I wanted it to be my daily carry pistol. I ended up using a Fobus designed for a Sig 226. Not ideal but functionable (at least I can carry the pistol).
If anyone has any idea of a different holster maker that makes holsters for CZ and CZ clones please let me know. Eric, if you read this, I've left voicemail and would like to know if I will ever see the holster.

Jordan
June 6, 2007, 02:32 AM
Here's an interesting exercise for anyone who imagines that Eric Larsen is an honest guy who just has a lot of bad luck.

I've spent time searching around forums, chat sites, what-have-yous, looking for anything to do with HBE (should have done this before sending him any money, but anyway..) and have found a bunch of people who waited an extrodanarily long time for their holster because the first holster he sent out to them was "lost in the mail". I know. Mine was one of them(see post #78 this thread).

Now we all know that the USPS sucks but, in truth, they really don't "lose" things very often at all. Usually if they do it's only because the address was really screwed up and even then only if there's no return address to fall back on.

I've done quite of bit of sending and recieving mail in my life and can honestly say that USPS has never lost anything of mine. I thought for sure they did once (a $500 McMillan stock with Badger bottom metal) but that turned out to be my fault and I got it right back when I corrected my mistake. Maybe some of you haven't enjoyed my kind of luck but if you were losing the kind of volume Eric claims to you probably wouldn't keep leaving it to "luck".

I can't go back and find all the posts that I've come across on these different boards where folks have said Eric's first attempt to fill their order was "lost in the mail", but an honest, un-exagerated estimate is about 6 people me included. Not too many but consider this only represents the percentage of his customers who a) post on the internet and b) care to comment on the HBE topic.

We might conclude that there are many times this number of customers who get treated to this story but aren't posting about it on the WWW.

Well, so what? Except then all the excuses that seem to pop up early and often start looking pretty thin... Flooding, computer frying, copied down your number wrong, deathly ill, moving, phone company locking down cell phone, out of materials, mold reworking, spam filter on email, divorce, computer "offline", stolen phone, too many government contracts (really!?), funerals..

Wow.

Some of these may very well be true but there are some real looloo's in there too. And in light of the dubious and well-worn "lost in the mail" story one might reasonably suspect Eric's honesty.

I want my money back. Now. Eric and I had a verbal contract. He took the money up front. I trusted him. He's broken the contract and is now avoiding me. I've been asking (via phone, bbs, PM, email, smoke signal) for a refund for the last month. It may take 12+ months to get a holster out... but it doesn't take a month to mail a check. That's crooked. It shows bad faith and that's where "excuses" become "lies".

clifford3355
June 8, 2007, 01:59 PM
Seems like u can only scam people so long.To me some one who takes my money and lies to me is nothing but a theif.Seems like he is running out of excuses. Signs his email "Shoot Well and God Bless" WHAT A JOKE

st_albert
June 8, 2007, 06:02 PM

Has anyone local to the shop been able to speak w/ Eric as of late?

Can't say I've communicated to him for quite a while, but this site still works:

http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/

and has a link to an April 25, 2007 letter wherein he proposes to do the right thing: Accept no more orders until his backlog is down to manageable proportions.

Time will tell...

Albert

kingpin008
June 10, 2007, 12:05 AM
Seems to me that time has told. :rolleyes:

james2133
June 10, 2007, 01:37 AM
i ordered a holster from eric and was trying to give him a call to chack status and what not, but his site is gone it sends me to a page where it tells me it expired so if anyone knows how to get a hold of him or if you(Eric) read this please let me know. but from reading all the other post i think that this dream of a good carry holster has come to an end and i lost some money on it too

Air,Land&Sea
June 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
Ordered and paid in November of 2005. No holster, no response, no ****. Could have used the $90 for my kid's surgery that wasn't covered. Guess we all have problems. Now I'm gonna have to stuff my gun down my pants. No, I'm not happy to see you. If it ever comes in I'll donate it to Goodwill just to keep the positive waves going. Glad I could help.

Homer45
June 12, 2007, 10:08 AM
Make that one more person who's had problems with HBE Leatherworks. I ordered a holster and mag carrier in October, 2006, sent the check for 134.00 (it cleared my bank a week later), and was told by Mr. Larsen that I would have the goods within 6 months. I haven't heard a word since then despite REPEATED voice mail messages I've left and e-mails I've sent. His voice mail has been full for the past several days, so there's not even a way to leave a message. I guess the only consolation is that I'm part of a growing club...

Jordan
June 13, 2007, 12:15 AM
So how many of us need to sign petition or notice sent to his local PD for them to take an interest? Here's a guy who took our money based on a verbal contract, didn't do what he said he would, now cannot be reached.

Is there any recourse? I, for one, am not willing just to say "Oh well".

Homer45
June 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
I'm not fond of the idea or just writing it off either. Someone at another website suggested calling the Utah state attorney general, but I have no idea as to how that would help.

dr_cmg
June 13, 2007, 08:27 PM
My order was placed October 30, 2006 and my card charge cleared November 6, 2006. I was told to expect my holster in 4 months or so. March 9, 2007 I sent a message to Eric asking about changing the order and got a reply that he would call me the next day. When he did not I called and left a message on March 12. I have gotten no response from Eric since.

I don't want to kick a man when he is down, but enough is enough. It costs nothing to send an email. There are some who have managed to make contact with Eric and get promises, but unfortunately the promises have not been fulfilled.

I would like to compile a list of names, addresses, phone numbers, order dates, charges etc of all members here who have ordered holsters from Eric, but who have not received them. I have created an email account for just at purpose. If you would email me at this address hbeproblems at bellsouth.net and provide as much info as you want I will compile a list and present it to Utah AG's Office and to any other office that we think can help.

I am sure that some may wonder about someone with 1 post making a post like this. I plan to make this offer on a number of boards and have joined today to make it here. I am sure that I will be by frequently to check in on THR. Anyone wanting more info on me can stop by DefensiveCarry.com (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/index.php) and determine that I am a moderator there under the same username.

maclean
June 13, 2007, 10:07 PM
Dr cmg is well known on DefensiveCarry.Com and a Moderator there. Never known him to "blow Smoke" so to speak, he's always been a dependable, stand up kind of guy.

George, I don't envy you the work this may entail but if anyone can pull something like this together I'm sure it's you. My own order came in last year after nearly a year of waiting (it was promised in 10 to 12 weeks). Not sure I'd be of much help to your list.
Jack

Jordan
June 14, 2007, 12:31 AM
Hats off to Dr CMG!! What a generous service he has offered!

Look for an email, sir, and thank you very much.

RNB65
June 14, 2007, 12:48 AM
Can I suggest the following?

http://www.miltsparks.com/

The current wait time is about 6 months.

But you WILL get your holster.

And it WILL be perfect.

MJZZZ
June 14, 2007, 12:47 PM
I post on 6 gun forums and everyone of them has a running thread on HBE's broken promises. I cannot believe anyone would still order anything from a company like this no matter how good the quality is. I've had it happen once with Ranger Gunleather and will not order from anyone who wants your money months before the projected delivery day. Luckily I was able to call my CC company to reverse the charges. Mike

dr_cmg
June 14, 2007, 01:08 PM
Late last night Eric Larsen posted a message on DefensiveCarry.com (formerly CombatCarry.com). Because of his internet troubles he may not have been able to get on to THR, so I am taking the liberty of posting his comments in full.

Well....Ill keep this as short and sweet as I can. Bumper and the rest of you.....
Well guys this sucks...my past has caught up with me. Due to medical bills with my son and not being able to afford medical insurance, being self employed for so long......
Ive had a quandry going on with my morals and my head.
I had to file bankruptcy.
I had to add my business since Im a Sole Proprietership according to my attorney.
I didnt want to do this and still dont want to...

The simple truth is my finances are so beyond SCREWED because of this that I dont know what to do.

My website is NOT down because Im out of business and Im still not able to get my email like I stated months ago. My site will be back up next week after we fix a problem...........ok.

As far as my cell phone goes....my daughter has had my phone for a while and has called me with #'s and I return them as I can. I will get back with most of you by this weekend. So please forgive my lack of communication. Ive had to shuffle things around lately and its taken its tole.

Im working a full time job trying to pay the bills and not lose what Ive got left and am still making holsters in the evenings and such.

I will get back with all of you...please be patient. Because of my cell not being with me, my site being down and so on....ALOT or MOST of you are saying "What the F@*K As@#*le? Or you think Im a bonifed thief?! No...just an idiot! Ive never been or will be a thief! You will all get your leather!

This is as simple as I can tell you guys. I ended up owing over 250,000$ in medical bills due to a lack of medical insurance, that I COULD NOT afford! They wanted more than I actually made some months, for it. It bit me.......HUGE!

Lack of planning, poor business sense! Or what ever you want to call it......I guess so. Hind sight is better than.

Heres the situation as of today. Due to my finances Im working fulltime doing something I never thought Id do...but its paying the bills..at least I hope it is. I got my phone back from my daughter and will be in touch with all who have called and left messages by this weekend. I AM NOT TAKING ORDERS and am just working on existing stuff until its done.

Please bare with me...........if you want to call me. Please do so...I will answer the phone or call you back! Just dont call me until after 5pm mountain time.

This bankruptcy thing has left me morally, spiritually and physically ill.

My lack of communication with the world can be taken as me running away from all of this and YOU! Well..that is partly true. Ive never been in this situation and havent done all that I could to keep you all abreast of the situation.

But I will be in touch with those of you who have tried to get in touch with me.

Again, please call me in the evening or even write me. And once again.....Im sorry and Im dancing as fast as I can.

My prayers go out to all of you..........thanks for all of your support over the years.

Eric Larsen........................

ADDITIONAL INFO

Unfortunately my internet has been down all morning so that I could not post the latest news. Eric called me this morning at about 7:30 Central time. We had a lengthy conversation about his situation. Here is what he proposes to do: 1) He will call each customer who is owed holsters or other equipment. 2) He will supply each customer with the items that the customer has paid for. Please keep us informed as to whether you get a phone call and concerning whether you get your holsters.

Because the personal finances the owner of a sole proprietorship and the business finances of a sole proprietorship are legally entangled there are things that cannot be done due to the bankruptcy. The owner and the business are protected from creditors and all payments have to be in accordance with the bankruptcy proceedings. To make a refund would violate the agreement. Under these circumstances Eric has no choice as to whether to give a refund or not. He cannot.

Again please keep us informed of any contact you have with Eric so that others here can know what is going on.

My personal position on this is wait and see. Eric has a history of failing to follow through on his promises. I fervently hope that he will come through this time, but I have to see evidence first. Feel free to continue to send me information at hbeproblems at bellsouth.net and I will retain the info should the unfortunate time arise that it is needed. Thanks.

RNB65
June 14, 2007, 01:10 PM
I've had it happen once with Ranger Gunleather and will not order from anyone who wants your money months before the projected delivery day.

Milt Sparks doesn't charge your credit card until your holster is finished and ready to be shipped.

:)

p.s. No, I don't work for Milt Sparks. I'm just a satisfied customer.

buzz_knox
June 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
Because the personal finances the owner of a sole proprietorship and the business finances of a sole proprietorship are legally entangled there are things that cannot be done due to the bankruptcy. The owner and the business are protected from creditors and all payments have to be in accordance with the bankruptcy proceedings. To make a refund would violate the agreement. Under these circumstances Eric has no choice as to whether to give a refund or not. He cannot.

I didn't think one could dispose of any property during a bankruptcy, particularly the goods upon which an involved business is based. So, wouldn't the same agreement that barred refunds bar his sending holsters, etc?

dr_cmg
June 14, 2007, 02:24 PM
Buzz, I'm not an expert on bankruptcy, but I don't see how a business could ever come out of bankruptcy without being able to do business. I would think that the agreement would have to allow the business to continue to produce and sell it's products in order for anyone to have any hope of recovering their money. When an airline files for bankruptcy they keep flying. When Chrysler went bankrupt in the '80s they kept making and selling cars. I think that the business could not dispose of assets without court approval and I understand that to mean to dispose of them in any way other than as manufactured products. Maybe someone else here is more knowledgeable about bankruptcy procedures than I am.

Mr. 16 gauge
June 14, 2007, 03:17 PM
Oh, Boohoo.....first, it was because he was moving his shop; then, it was because of his divorce; now, it's because of medical bills.........

Please.:mad: Pick a story and stick with it......it will at least make you sound more credible. What next? he was abducted by aliens?

I do have one of his holsters; I had to wait close to 9 months to get it and threaten calling the A.G. of Utah and the BBB. After I did that, I finally got a response.:fire: He asks that we please be patient.......some of you have been waiting almost 2 years for your holsters! How much more patient should you be?

It's a nice sob story, but thats about is as far as I am concerned.......:barf:

buzz_knox
June 14, 2007, 03:32 PM
Buzz, I'm not an expert on bankruptcy, but I don't see how a business could ever come out of bankruptcy without being able to do business.

Some have structures put in place that allow them to do business in order to get out of bankruptcy. Others go into bankruptcy and end up being sold off to pay the creditors. It all depends on the nature of the business, how the creditors want to handle things, and what the court decides to do.

Homer45
June 14, 2007, 04:26 PM
After reading his explanation on defensivecarry.com, I posted a response agreeing to wait for Mr. Larsen to contact me; but I had forgotten about those who have waited nearly two years for their gear. Was he going bankrupt then? It leaves me inclined to agree with Mr. 16 Gauge. Mr. Larsen has had a plethora of excuses, all lined with self-deprecating commentary that seems like an effort to evoke pity and to stall. I guess all any of us can do for the time being is wait and see if he gets in touch and offers to do something substantial to rectify the matter. Truth is, however, I'm not optimistic...

asknight
June 14, 2007, 04:45 PM
I see this problem increasing at an alarming rate. Master craftsmen of all trades are going under because of a lack of business management education...

RNB365: Everyone knows of Milt Sparks. Your constant plugging of that company in a thread pertaining to HBE Leatherworks has went far past simply annoying.

lance22
June 14, 2007, 04:59 PM
He has protection from reasonable debts which will probably include your orders. What you have is a word of mouth promise from him which he will not be law-bound to keep, and if he has filed he is not law-bound to send you a check. Personally, I'd just let go and consider it a charitable contribution.

I feel sorry for his debts and his son's illness, but I also feel angry hearing that he wants to get his website back up and running. If you have a website selling your products, doesn't that mean you are taking orders? And if they place orders you know they won't recieve what they paid for ... which would mean that his website is fraudulent ... and gun-related fraudulent sites are something I really hate.

None of my business, I suppose ... but I feel for the poor schmucks who will be finding his site and placing orders.

PCRCCW
June 14, 2007, 07:24 PM
Well now. Mr 16 Guage....yep, its all bull****! Just more excuses from me.....say what you want. Scream it from the highest rooftops if you want. It doesnt matter anymore. Nothing I say or do will change your point of view and I know that....so tear it up.

Lance...The simple truth is HBE is pretty much done for now and I dont know if it will ever be back! I will get everyone there leather and I AM NOT TAKING NEW ORDERS! Im leaving my website up so I can pass on information to my customers and frankly it took me years to acquire all of the pics and dont want to lose them either. If in the future it gets to the point that I cannot or dont want to salvage HBE....I will pull the website.

ask.....hell yes! I should have taken a remedial business course from the git go...
I started this years ago and if I new then what I know now....this thread wouldnt exist!
Im the first to admit that my managment skills are being found wanting! I suspect that around 200 of my customers are feeling the same way.

As far as being 2 years out.....I sincerely hope not! The farthest order I have out right now is coming up on a year.

There will no orders taken until I get caught up with current orders...and thats gonna be a bloody while. If I take anymore in the future is very much up in the air right now.

Shoot well and god bless

JimChapman
June 14, 2007, 07:52 PM
Hello Mr. Larson.

This is Jim Chapman and I would like to remind you that I placed my order on April 10, 2006 and that is over 14 months ago. When we last spoke in April 2007 you said I would get my order in 1 week. Repeated attempts to get a hold of you have come up with absolutely nothing but an unanswered voice mail or a full voice mail box.
I hope you get your problems worked out but I would like you to live up to your agreement.
Thank you.

Mr. 16 gauge
June 14, 2007, 10:12 PM
Well, Eric, the fact of the matter is you didn't return my emails or calls until I made mention of looking for legal action on another website, so that kinda makes me wonder....I'm not the one with angry people on a half dozen gun websites looking for my head on a platter. And once again, it took someone to threaten legal action with the Utah A.G. in order to get YOU to respond to people that have been bitching about YOU not returning phone calls/emails

As far as being 2 years out.....I sincerely hope not! The farthest order I have out right now is coming up on a year.

I would like to remind you that I placed my order on April 10, 2006 and that is over 14 months ago. When we last spoke in April 2007 you said I would get my order in 1 week. Repeated attempts to get a hold of you have come up with absolutly nothing but an unanswered voice mail or a full voice mail box.

Hmmmm....guess that kinda speaks volumes now, doesn't it. You've had many, many opportunities to make this right and haven't done so, and now you have bankruptcy protection on your side. I'm willing to bet that these threads will continue into the future. Until such time as I see that everyone has been satisfied and either received their holster or a refund, you can keep your pity party to yourself.

Cowbiker
June 14, 2007, 10:49 PM
Good to see you back Eric.

I am sorry to learn of your continued difficulties, and more so, so that you've had them scrutinized publicly. Needless to say, I hope your son's well now too.

As for my order, I am content continuing to wait for your craftsmanship.

JerryM
June 14, 2007, 11:53 PM
Hi Eric,
I do not have a holster on order, but wanted to say a couple of things.

It is obvious that you are not a good business man, and have made some serious mistakes that will take you years to recover from, if ever.

Other than outright dishonesty, which I do not think you are guilty of, the one thing that will ruin a business is for the owner to fail to do that which he has promised. For whatever reason you have also failed in this area. It always catches up with you it just a matter of when.

Now is a time to recover if you have the character, and although it will take time you can do it.
One should always remember that everything you have can be taken from you, except your integrity. You have to give that up.

There are some skeptics (with good cause) on the forums who have ordered from you. But it is up to you whether you build a future with a good reputation or not.

I sincerely hope you will recover and be able to rebuild your business, and gain a reputation for both great work, and integrity. It is in your hands.

Best,
Jerry

Jordan
June 15, 2007, 02:27 AM
It is remarkable how quickly Eric surfaced when folks started talking seriously about legal recourse.

I still have one burning question: Why are there some people that placed orders well after me (and others) and have received their holster months ago??

Sadly, Eric Larsen will always be known more as a man of a million excuses than for his leather. Is this another one? Probably. I just want him to redeem himself.. his integrity.. and then go away.

Air,Land&Sea
June 15, 2007, 04:32 PM
Not to hit anyone while they're down, but November 2005 here and no holster, response or refund. You can keep it if it helps you work out your personal issues. I raised myself and persevered through challenges that I wish on no one (that would obviously make you sh*t in your pants). So, now that you have my money to do with as you wish, get some integrity and move forward. Maybe my compassion will help you out since it's rare and the little bit that I got when I needed it was invaluable. Please don't feel it necessary to contact me - it isn't.

st_albert
June 15, 2007, 10:01 PM
well, I shouldn't jump into this, but here I go...

I have purchased several holsters from Eric Larson. This was a couple of years ago, before the blessing/curse of fame struck HBE Leatherworks. I must testify that in my experience, Mr. Eric Larsen has been friendly, helpful, and has done what he agreed to do, and when he agreed to do it. His leatherwork has been of absolutely outstanding quality, and were I to order more holsters, he would be the first one I would turn to...

Were it not for current developments.

I have been following the saga of HBE leatherworks over the last couple of years with great sadness. I have seen a pattern I understand all too well from my own experience. I do hope Mr. Larsen eventually deals with his daemons, and can in time continue to produce his excellent leatherwork. In the mean time, he appears to have dug himself a rather large hole, and to have realized that the first thing to do in that situation is to stop digging (i.e. stop taking new orders).

So, don't be too hard on Mr. Larsen. There, but for the grace of God go you or I. Trust me, it ain't that simple!

My gut feeling is that those of you who have ordered holsters will eventually get them, albiet not on time by a long shot. I still have hope that Eric will do the right thing eventually. When and as he can. To this day I believe he is basically a moral person.

And that's all I'm going to say.

Albert

Homer45
June 16, 2007, 02:43 AM
Well, so much for pessimism. Mr. Larsen did in fact phone me Thursday night and left a message. I phoned him back yesterday evening and spoke with him at length. As I've already posted on other forums, I truly believe he's had a really bad turn of luck; I also am convinced he intends to make things right. I base that impression on how sincere he sounded and how people who know him much better than I do write so positively about him. And the truth of it is, despite the presumptuous and sometimes unflattering things I've thought and written about the man, my gut tells me that he naturally possesses the impulse to "do the right thing" even if it did require a lot of bad press to motivate him. I think that if Mr. Larsen so chooses, HBE Leatherworks will eventually be back and stronger than ever. I think it would be a shame if it weren't.

PCRCCW
June 16, 2007, 08:41 PM
Well....let me explain something. Bankruptcy or not...I have no choice but to do my business this way as of now. Yes, Ive made ALOT of excuses for being late in the past. Seriously...

Ive stated in the past that most of the problems I have encountered were my fault to one extent or another.

I dont want a pitty party....the matter of fact is "**** happens" and Ive reached a point where I choose to quit doing what Ive been doing, the way Ive done it! There are those of you who wont respect that and think Im just full of it....well, who the hell am I to say I dont deserve that point of view! I wont try and change you minds.

Guys....I lost my professionalism and integrity a while ago. Bankruptcy just helped me pull my head out of my ass and realize what I had been doing....
Im not proud of it....and I dont want your sympathy nor do I deserve it.

So tear me up...threaten me with law suits/beatings/beat my pets...none of it matters to me anymore. But you will all get your leather.

DONT EMAIL ME...but if you have an order with me that you are concerned about....please call me. 801-916-9248

Shoot well and god bless

Snagglepuss
June 16, 2007, 09:10 PM
I agree with st albert. When Eric lets us know he is back in the saddle I intend to order from him. No other holster I have seen equals his quality. I waited 10 months for mine and it was worth it, not that I wasn't frustrated. I give him my support that he will be back.

God Bless

Jordan
June 17, 2007, 03:54 AM
Credit where credit is due: Eric did what he said he was going to do!

He called today and left a message explaining the situation... amazing how that little bit of communication made me feel so much better.

JimChapman
June 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
He contacted me as well. I guess I'll see where it goes from there.

micglin
June 21, 2007, 06:07 PM
Wow, this is a little annoying. I see this thread, and start reading it. The further I get in, the more I get a feeling of "Well, I shouldn't expect it to arrive on any particular date, but it sounds like this guy makes a heck of a holster if I'm willing to wait." Then, I get to these last 2 pages, and I find out I can't order one! Well, it's probably for the better...less frustrating at least!

Air,Land&Sea
June 21, 2007, 06:53 PM
I ordered from another maker since I don't expect a response from HBE even though he took my money in November of 2005. I'm glad I made my mistakes in life early on so as to avoid this kind of thing.

dr_cmg
June 21, 2007, 11:59 PM
On June 13, 2007 I posted a message asking for info from members of this forum who were waiting for holsters from Mr. Larsen. On June 14 I posted a copy of a message that Mr. Larsen had posted on DefensiveCarry.com. Below is a copy of a message that I just posted on DefensiveCarry. I believe that members here deserve to know the facts as much as members on DefensiveCarry do.

I have a contact who knows quite a bit about bankruptcy and he has provided me with some information that I believe our members need to know.

After reading the 12 pages he sent to me I think that I can say that Mr. Larsen's post on June 14 contained a couple of true statements, some half truths and some false statements. The truths are that Mr. Larsen filed bankruptcy and that he has medical expenses. I will provide some facts now and you can determine what fits in the other categories.

On 05/17/2005 Eric Larsen dba H.B.E. Specialty Leatherworks filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Utah. The Bankruptcy Petition # is 05-27934. On 05/27/2005 a Statement of Financial Affairs and Schedules was filed. Schedule F (Creditors Holding Unsecured Nonpriority Claims) lists total medical expenses as $6,841. The total amount of Schedule F and Schedule D (Creditors Holding Secured Claims) is either $31,448 or $27,948 depending on whether you take the total on Schedule D or only the unsecured portion. In the two years since the initial filing the court appointed Trustee has three times filed a Motion to Dismiss - meaning remove the bankruptcy protection. Each time Mr. Larsen and his lawyer have been able to respond and get the motion either withdrawn or not accepted. The most recent action was on 05/07/2007 when Amended Schedules I and J were filed. This is a new payment plan based on Mr. Larsen's change of employment.

I may be wrong, but I think there is a big difference between $250,000 in medical expenses and $6,841 in medical expenses. I realize that there could have been medical expenses since the filling of the Schedule F, but it seems to me that additional medical expenses in an amount that big would somewhere be reflected on the docket text which lists every action taken by the parties in the case. It is not there.

Back when this thread was started I asked individuals who are still owed holsters send me information at hbeproblems at bellsouth.net. I again ask that anyone who wants to provide this time of info send it by email the the above address. There has been a change in what will be done with the information. Based on contact with some people more knowledgeable than me, I have determined that the proper venues for me to send the info to are: 1) Trustee appointed by the court for the bankruptcy and 2) the US Attorney for the state of Utah in Salt Lake City. It is my intention to provide the information to them before July 4, 2007 so send me your information as soon as possible.

As stated in the message quoted above I am again asking for information so that I can provide it to the two venues listed. Thank you.

PCRCCW
June 22, 2007, 12:59 AM
Dr and the forum....

Everything the Dr stated above is quite true... Or it was over 2 years ago! I am in a Chptr 13....anyone who knows me personally knows that situation and Ill tell anyone who wants to know.

Years ago I got into trouble, mainly with past due taxes that I couldnt pay after I got laid off from my sales job.. Its also when I started doing holsters full time and had 0 income.

The last change/court date you bring up wasnt for a change in employment. Its because I wasnt making enough money to make my bankruptcy payments and they dont like it when you cant pay for it...and want to dismiss it. I hope this makes sense to you guys....I stopped taking orders because I was so far behind...thus had no income and couldnt make the payments on time. Thus looking for a job. Ive been employed for just over 4 weeks....well over a month after my last court date, just for the record.

If you look more into bankruptcy law...you will find that I cannot add onto a bankruptcy past a certain point....typically 90 days after the date of filing. That being the fact...I cannot add anything to my current bankruptcy and that brings me to my CURRENT situation.

Im in the process of is converting the present 13 to a Chptr 7. This takes time to compile the necessary documents and information my attorney needs from me and it has substantial attornies fees, court costs etc..for the conversion. Ive had 2 mtg's with my attorney and have a couple more left before he can submit the final paperwork to the courts.

Dr.... Im not a thief and like Ive stated before...just ran my business like an idiot! Ive not committed a crime, not in the past, not now and not in the future.

I havent lied to you guys about anything. The only thing Im guilty of is making bad business decisions and admittedly....making a hell of alot of excuses for those bad decisions in the past. That is NOT the case anymore....Ive admitted final defeat! No excuses or BS. Ive promised Id call everyone back who calls me and Ive done that.
Ive also promised everyone will get there leather and I will do that to.

Look...simply put guys. Nope I havent been honest with you guys all of the time in the past! My ability to make some leather you guys like...doesnt mean I know how to run a business and not screw it up. I did screw it up and made alot of excuses for it.
With that history...maybe I wouldnt trust me anymore either. I dont know.

In the meantime....you can submit whatever you want to whomever you want. Its completely up to you. Regardless...I wish you the best.

Shoot well and god bless
Eric

dr_cmg
June 22, 2007, 01:50 AM
Eric, I stated that I could be wrong on the medical bills, because I don't know much about bankruptcy. It also seems to me that since you told me on the phone that you had taken a job and that coincided with the change by the court that change of employment was the way to express it.

Now let me ask a couple of questions. You state: I havent lied to you guys about anything. While this may be technically true, you certainly haven't been forthcoming. In your post on June 14 you state that you had to file bankruptcy. No explanations or qualifications attached. Of course everyone assumes that you meant recently. I doubt that anyone reading your comments would think that you had filed more than a few months prior to June 14. Why when you stated then that you were telling us everything did you manage to leave out the fact that the bankruptcy filing was over two years old?

Second question. Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. According to the website for the US Bankruptcy Court page entitled: Chapter 7 - Liquidation Under the Bankruptcy Code (http://www.uscourts.gov/bankruptcycourts/bankruptcybasics/chapter7.html) - One of the primary purposes of bankruptcy is to discharge certain debts to give an honest individual debtor a "fresh start." The debtor has no liability for discharged debts. Why should we, after your "making a hell of alot of excuses", believe that your are going to live up to your promises? "Ive also promised everyone will get there leather and I will do that to." Chapter 7 Bankruptcy takes your assets and has the Trustee sell them and use to money as far as it goes toward payment of debts. When the money is gone all other debts are discharged and you have no liability for them. What assets are there for the Trustee to sell? Your holster making equipment? If these are sold how do you propose to make this leather you are promising to deliver?

I am not on a witchhunt, Mr. Larsen. I am simply a man who finding that I am not the only one in my position have tried to gather information that should have been provided to us long ago. After getting the information and digesting it I felt it my duty to provide it to those who needed to know. If I have erred in that you have my humble apology. I have not intentionally misrepresented you or your case as far as I know. If I have please let me know where and I will endeavor to correct any error.

PCRCCW
June 22, 2007, 09:09 AM
Dr...no worries. Ill answer your questions..briefly if thats ok.

My past tax debt and other affairs werent part of the equation. Its like the rule of argueing with your spouse or kids. Dont bring up the past and stick to the matter at hand. My disclosure with all of you and other customers was honest and to the point with "the situation that Im facing currently that has to do with HBE, gun leather and their involvment"...nothing more.

I could have brought up the older Bankruptcy but why? Not being a smart ass...so please dont take it that way. I could have brought up any and all problems that Ive had over the last 20 years that may have led to this or contributed to it in even a minor way...but its just not relavent.

Like you Im not a bankruptcy expert...but what you call a liquidation doesnt pertain to this. It may be for LLC's or business only situations...I cant say.
I know this isnt the case for my situation.

And finally....I really stated earlier that I may not trust me either after all of this. But all I can do is what Im doing....making leather, not taking orders and communicating with my customers. What else is there to do?

Shoot well and god bless.........

K-Man
June 25, 2007, 06:42 AM
Mr. Larsen:

You might want to consult with your attorney again about what you can or cannot do with your current bankruptcy case. You can amend the schedules, add creditors, up to the point that the case is closed.

If you choose to convert to a Chapter 7, whether personal or for a sole proprietorship business, it is a liquidation. No company will emerge on the other side. You would have to surrender all but $2,000 worth of personal belongings (this includes your clothes, furniture, etc.) and anything otherwise exempt (like 401k savings). The trustee will then sell off, i.e., liquidate, your assets and pay creditors pro rata. Secured creditors and the government get paid first, unsecured creditors get paid pro rata what is left.

Customers are unsecured non-priority creditors. Of course, they are also unknown to the trustee unless they timely filed a proof of claim. If these debts were not listed in the bankrutpcy (and no notice provided to the customers), such debts are not going to be discharged by the bankruptcy. Small consolation though, since the business normally would come to an end.

Also, FYI, the documentation that you've filed with this current case, i.e., schedules, amended schedules, list of creditors, etc., etc., is available for public viewing.

jeepmor
June 25, 2007, 08:34 AM
Had the same issues. I did end up with a nice holster, but I had to be a pill to get and start a thread just like this. Where's the popcorn.

I'm a UBG guy now, good quality, excellent communcation. He worked with me to build an IWB for my compact S&W CS40 Auto. His billing was not done until he started making my product. Highly recommended. Nate could easily take Eric's business and rightfully should.

I won't be ordering from Eric again, as much as I like his holsters, the frustration was not worth it. His business practices are unethical and I won't encourage those actions any more. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I have worked with people like this before, and I can say with all honesty, it's always a joy to see them get what they deserve. Story this story that, you work so hard, blah, blah, blah. Suck it up and get it done and quit wasting my time trying to make me feel sorry for you. You run a business, act like it. If not, don't be surprised when it fails.

HBE is getting the respect (or notably, the lack) it deserves.

jeepmor

dr_cmg
June 29, 2007, 12:48 AM
Today I got my holster and mag carrier from Eric. Right now it is sitting with a friend's Colt 80 series wrapped in wax paper resting in it. I cannot do a good review on it until I can get where the pistol will come out with a reasonable pull and will reholster without having to take the holster off. Eric's boning is such that the holster will have to loosen up a little before I can draw and holster without major effort. Photos Attached.

I am glad to have the holster, but at the same time I feel a little guilty because I know there are others who have been waiting longer. I guess the guilt is the reason that I am not really that excited about receiving the holster. Having to work so hard to get what was mine sort of takes the luster off. I think I would have been ecstatic if the holster had come in Feb., Mar., or April. I would have been excited if it had come in May. Getting it in June and posting as post 133 in a thread entitled "Has anyone ordered or received an order from Eric at HBE leather?" sort of puts a damper on the excitement.

I am not going to spend time discussing Eric's problems, customer service, or any other thing that have already been covered in this thread. I just ask others who are members here to be sure to post if you get a phone call from Eric about your order or if you receive your leather. We want to know about both.

Thanks.

Jordan
July 7, 2007, 12:35 AM
Is anyone else getting their holsters? Or did Eric satisfy dr_cmg, his most active prosecuter, then fade away? Do I need to go back to my message leaving campaign?

Jordan
July 12, 2007, 01:53 AM
Well, it's been about a week since I asked if anyone else got their holster.. I take it not. Not at least who post here.

Eric, I'm going to start tomorrow morning trying to get ahold of you. I know you can get my holster out if you want to... You wanted to get dr_cmg's out in hopes he would go away and that's just what you did.. you said you'd cut it out that night and he had it a few days later... whaddya' know. Nevermind that, as he stated, many of us have waited much longer than he.

I want my holster. I know you can do it just like you did it for him. Fricken' do it.

Jordan
July 14, 2007, 11:40 PM
Eric returned my call! Maybe he has reformed--?? I

hope to see him keep his word in getting my holster out first thing this week. I'll keep you all updated-

Jordan
July 26, 2007, 12:45 AM
Holster arrived today! It is really nice. I sincerely hope that one day Eric can get his #$%^ in one sock because he really does have a great product here.

I called twice recently to get things going and-- wonder of wonders-- he returned each call... pretty promptly too! Way to go Eric!

Good luck to those waiting. Don't give up.

Jordan
July 28, 2007, 12:41 AM
I got a friendly follow-up call from Eric today to confirm that my holster arrived and make sure I liked it. That's good service.

It is a great holster and I have to say, Eric is a very friendly guy to talk to. It does seem he's interested in mending his bruised reputation.

Good luck to him and to those looking forward to their holsters.

dr_cmg
July 29, 2007, 08:21 PM
Congratulations, Jordan. That makes two of us.

JimChapman
July 30, 2007, 07:23 PM
Talked to Eric a few times since this thread started and he hasn't come through yet. The last time I talked to him was about 19 days ago. I've been waiting now for 15 months 3 weeks and 2 days.
Maybe the only way for me to get my order is to keep this thread going aka Jorden?

JimChapman
August 2, 2007, 10:33 PM
It's been 3 days since I left a voice mail and no answer and I just left another. I'd love to hear if anyone else is still out there who hasn't gotten their order filled.
At this point I'm weighing options to take to make sure that this never happens to anyone else again. My thoughts include a complaint of interstate fraud to Minnesota and Utah's AG (I know Minnesota would investigate and if cause is found prosecute since they are required by Minnesota law). Bankruptcy would not protect him here since I have an email from him with a fraudulent claim of delivery time plus "filling orders for our boys in Iraq". Both of which were BS. Also since he filled orders after supposedly filing bankruptcy from people who placed them months and what looks like possibly a year after I placed mine, it is clear he had no intent of filling my order. I’m also thinking of putting up and maintaining a website dedicated to his fraudulent claims, calling Visa and informing them of his fraud (preventing him from being able to accept Visa if he starts again), etc.
I think I've been more then patient but my patience does have its limits. Especially after 1 year 3 months, 3 weeks and 5 days of “your order will be ready in 2 weeks”.

Cowbiker
August 4, 2007, 09:39 AM
I suspect all posters here would understand your frustration. I'm still in the que too, and keeping the faith.

I will definitely follow up with a received report on this thread when the time comes.

Regards,

JimChapman
August 4, 2007, 02:13 PM
Well after a third message Eric did call back and said my order will be shipped by Monday so I guess I'll see how it goes.

staudacher
August 4, 2007, 05:38 PM
here I joined THR trying to find out info on this guy (I have been waiting for over a year for some stuff from HBE) and much to my dismay......I found about what I had expected. Today, for the first time in a long time, I managed to get Eric on the phone. Of course I was greeted with more excuses...he brought up the bankruptcy this time. The times before it was, his daughter helped him move and misplaced some of his orders...and then after that is was his house got flooded...well, you guys know the deal. At this point I don't want the items that I ordered (not that it looks like I will ever get them) but it also looks like I am out of luck on any chance of getting my money back as well. :mad:

I wish my first post on the board was a happier one.

JimChapman
August 6, 2007, 07:36 PM
Eric did call on Sat. morning and said he had sent my order. He then called later in the afternoon for some hints on breaking it in and such. I got my order in the mail today and he made things right by me. The holster and mag pouches look great. Eric does very nice work. I hope he works out his business issues as there will always be a market for his quality.

Those of you who are waiting, hang in there and call him. His product is worth it.

Jim

dr_cmg
August 10, 2007, 12:49 AM
Congratulations, Jim. That makes three. But I have to disagree with you on one thing. The product is not worth the wait. And especially if you have to go through we went through to get it. Six months if told that up front maybe, but 8 months or 10 months or 16 months after being told 4 months max and being told over and over that it would be done in another two weeks. No way! Nobody makes stuff worth that.

Having said that; Eric does make great holsters and if he gets to the point where he can provide them in a timely manner, 4 months or so, he will again be one of the top holster artists. He can stay that as long as he maintains good customer service and doesn't let his backlog get to long.

randyman_ar
August 10, 2007, 10:50 PM
Eric contacted me tonight around 7 to say my holster and mag pouch were ready and would ship Monday. After our conversation I do believe he is sincerely trying to make things right with his customers. If you have an order pending and haven't contacted Eric you need to do so.
I will post back with pics when they arrive.

CNate
August 11, 2007, 06:17 AM
I absolutly can not wait until Eric is able to take new orders someday. Belive it or not I found THR doing a google search for holsters, it directed me to this very thread!

After reading it I said "Man, I'd never order from that dude." But over time keeping up with the thread and reading the posts from Eric himself I saw a huge change.

Again, here's to the hope that Eric will begin taking orders from new customers sometime soon. Until then, enjoy that leather, I'll be jealous!

Bowwave
August 12, 2007, 05:49 AM
Hello All,
I'm serving in Iraq and just recently joined this forum. I've rarely seen a man called to account so thoroughly (and publicly) for his business failings and felt a strong need to provide another data point, however tardy. Please just accept this as my experience and not as an attempt to exonerate HBE. In October of 2005 (in Iraq then, also) I ordered a holster/belt from Eric and received it in February 2006. I had hoped it would be available in January 2006 when I returned stateside but it was delayed. Eric was good about keeping me informed and I took the delay in stride. The product was excellent.
Anyway, Eric, when you've met (and I hope exceeded) your obligations and are ready to hang your shingle again, send me a PM and I'll place another order. I'm rooting for you.
Thanks/Bowwave

NCLivingBrit
August 14, 2007, 11:07 AM
I've not ordered anything from HBE (nor would I, ever, after reading his collection of excuses) but it seems to me he's taken orders from a great many people and then fulfilled a small fraction of them, namely those who shout the loudest and most effectively.

Interesting business model, to fulfill the (vastly reduced) expectations of the small, vocal minority while keeping -everyones- money.

And notice, the glowing response as to the product received, sure sucker bait for those who hold out hope that HBE will deliver eventually and the product is so much better than anything else they might buy.

From where I sit, this Eric is a crook, using a few fulfilled orders, a decent product, hope and a litany of sob stories to keep bilking suckers. If I had any money in this mess, I'd be pressing fraud charges through the SAG's office right now.

asknight
August 14, 2007, 11:25 AM
NCLivingBrit said:
From where I sit, this Eric is a crook, using a few fulfilled orders, a decent product, hope and a litany of sob stories to keep bilking suckers. If I had any money in this mess, I'd be pressing fraud charges through the SAG's office right now.

And how is he doing what you propose? He isn't "still bilking suckers" as you said, because he isn't taking new orders, he is focusing on filling the orders that have already been placed!

NCLivingBrit
August 14, 2007, 11:32 AM
He -says- he isn't taking any new orders.

He also said he'd deliver within certain deadlines, return calls and generally carry on his business in a legitimate fashion. Until threatened with legal action and repeatedly exposed publicly, he didn't do any of those things as promised.

Benefit of the doubt is one thing, swallowing this story is another. When each and every customer has received their order (preferably before it becomes an item of their estate rather than something they can use) -maybe- HBE could be considered a legitimate enterprise. Until then, it's merely a provider of broken promises for hard earned money.

BobCat
August 14, 2007, 11:58 AM
I don't think Eric is a crook. He is a very poor businessman. His work is excellent.

I've been staying out of this thread because my experience is out-of-date, but have to respond to this "crook" label.

I ordered a holster from Eric in about 2004 or so. Instead of the 5 weeks promised, it took 5 months - and an e-mail to cancel the order and return my check. Then I got the holster. It is extremely well made. I would not care to do business with Eric again, but he is not a crook.

A crook is a thief, someone who takes your money with no intention of seeing to it that you get the merchandise. I think Eric means to see that everyone gets their holster, he is simply unrealistic about how long it will take him to make all those holsters.

Regards,
Andew

asknight
August 14, 2007, 12:21 PM
NCLivingBrit, if you would go ahead and try to place an order for one of his holsters, you'll find out real quick that he isn't just saying that he isn't accepting orders... he really isn't taking orders!

randyman_ar
August 15, 2007, 03:54 PM
Hey Guys,
My holster and mag pouch arrived today. They look and feel fantastic. Will get my daughter to take some pics and post later this week. I'd do it myself but once technology progresses past the 'Etch-a-Sketch' things get a little complicated for me.:o

st_albert
August 15, 2007, 09:28 PM
Look, folks, don't call this guy a crook. There is no evidence for that charge.

As an artisan, he is top notch. Not only the workmanship, but the design of the holsters I've seen (and bought) is among the best.

As a businessman, he... shall I say... sucks. But it seems he is doing his level best to make things right in that area. What more can you ask?

Being a "people pleaser," being a "poor businessman" does NOT equal being a "crook"!

I'm not saying you don't have a beef if your order was delayed WAY
TOO LONG. I'm not saying you should not complain, and complain loudly.

Just be careful what terms you use in your complaint.

I myself have purchased three holsters from Mr. Larsen. I am entirely satisfied with what I got.

Would I purcase another? Not until things get straightened out, and have been demonstrated to be so. After that? You bet I would!

Just my $0.02, and worth what you paid :-)

Albert

staudacher
August 17, 2007, 09:54 PM
Well...I got my stuff. Part of what he sent was wrong so it is going back.
Hopefully he will get things back on track.

WINGBIRD
August 19, 2007, 04:06 PM
Well after reading some of the concerns and some of the reasons people have recieved instead of their holsters, I dont think I will be ordering a IWB pro 2 shark shin trimed one for my new Sig 229, I think I will resort to a Uncle Mikes before I put myself thru. that much heart ache. JIM

asknight
August 19, 2007, 04:55 PM
Wingbird, even if you did order it, you wouldn't receive it as Eric isn't accepting new orders. He is focusing on filling existing orders at this time.

There are a good number of folks, myself included, hoping that Eric is able to turn his ship around and get back to accepting orders.

staudacher
September 4, 2007, 11:01 PM
Well, I finally got all my stuff!!!! And I must say that it is all very nice!!

dgg9
October 2, 2007, 08:46 PM
I ordered a holster last November (06); CC was promptly charged. No product in all this time, and no returned phone calls.

Today's update: got a letter from US Bankruptcy Court, wrt HBE going Chapter 7.

So my money is gone unless he chooses to fulfill outstanding orders. I guess I'll find out.

elkhuntingfool
October 2, 2007, 09:16 PM
He's local to me and I almost dropped off my PT145 to him to make me a holster. Glad I didn't do that. Wonder if I would have gotten my holster - and my 45?

buzz_knox
October 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
Today's update: got a letter from US Bankruptcy Court, wrt HBE going Chapter 7.

Does the letter indicate when the bankruptcy petition was filed or when proceedings began?

Went back through the thread and found the answer. He's been in bankruptcy for two years and converted to a Chapter 7 this year apparently.

dgg9
October 3, 2007, 11:03 AM
Ok, so maybe that doesn't change the previous status quo there? I.e., completed orders continue to slowly dribble out. OTOH, still no holster....

buzz_knox
October 3, 2007, 11:11 AM
Ok, so maybe that doesn't change the previous status quo there? I.e., completed orders continue to slowly dribble out. OTOH, still no holster....

It may change things a bit as it shows orders were still being taken long after this blew up and the issues were public. Maybe I'd missed something, but I think yours is the latest order we are aware of. That's not a strike against you as you weren't aware of what's going on, but does indicate that money is still changing hands even though holsters aren't as likely to.

mattk
October 3, 2007, 09:41 PM
The debacle with HBE is really a shame. Especially since Eric was on of the few internet start holster makers to actually give credit to holster makers of the past or current designers.
So many of the "new" holster makers have copied designs from Lou Alessi, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, et al and not given any credit at all.

flyboyldb
October 3, 2007, 11:26 PM
Here is an update from Eric on another forum. Mod - feel free to remove if this post is against any rules.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27146&page=14

dgg9
October 4, 2007, 08:51 AM
Here is an update from Eric on another forum. Mod - feel free to remove if this post is against any rules.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...=27146&page=14

Registration required -- can't view.

buzz_knox
October 4, 2007, 09:48 AM
Registration required -- can't view.

It's worth signing up for. If that's where he is currently explaining his actions, then it's important for you to get your story on that thread.

asknight
October 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
It's not a valid HTML link, please use the link button to make a correct link.

Cowbiker
November 25, 2007, 08:33 PM
This thread and the above referenced one:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27146&page=17&highlight=HBE

have both been quiet for a while, anyone heard from HBE as of late?

The site is still up with the 04/07 update message.

Season's Greetings All.

dgg9
November 25, 2007, 08:38 PM
have both been quiet for a while, anyone heard from HBE as of late?

Based on that other board's thread activity, I did get a call from Eric maybe 6 weeks ago and he said my holster would be done in 2 weeks (i.e., 4 weeks ago). Now I've been calling and leaving messages, to no avail...as the 1 year anniversary of my original order and CC charge passed by last week.

Cowbiker
November 26, 2007, 08:33 PM
1.5yrs on mine.

james2133
January 16, 2008, 01:32 AM
So my last post was 9 June 2007 and I haven’t heard anything so…… Eric if you do happen to check this any more enjoy the charitable contribution I made to you I have no expectation on you coming through on this and to tell the truth I completely forgot about it because UBG made me a great holster and I love it hope all is going better for you and enjoy my contribution

dgg9
January 16, 2008, 09:47 AM
I did get my HBE belt scabbard just recently.

Cowbiker
March 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
Just got my pair of TL's this evening, haven't had any time to break them in yet, but wanted people to see Eric's fine work.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2330589854_42449dab52.jpg?v=0

PCRCCW
March 13, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ok...to all of you who think Im a crook...so be it! I cant change your minds nor do I want to, but If you have leather outstanding with me..regardless of how old it is..........CALL ME!

Things are going very well guys........Ive got a gentleman helping me out in the shop so I can get more stuff out.

Im the first to admit........I had no idea how to run this company! And yes I SUCK! But Im getting better, I am taking new orders to pay for the old ones.

Leather is better than ever thats getting made........and lots of new stuff.

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone, and if you have a beef with me........call me! You can either just piss and moan on the net, which in my opinion is worthless or call me which will actually get something done.

Shoot well and god bless..........

NCLivingBrit
March 13, 2008, 11:10 PM
I am taking new orders to pay for the old ones.

Ok, so you freely admit you've got orders so outstanding -you- don't even know what they are and you swear blind you're on the level.... but you're still taking money for orders.

Seems to be you shouldn't need to take more peoples money to pay for the orders you already got paid for one or two years back down the line.

In fact, it seems to me I'm glad I'm one of those folks "who just piss and moan on the internet" and not one of the folks who got suckered into sending you money and waiting patiently during the last couple of sets of "everything is going to be fine folks!" proclamations.

But hey, what would I know... I'm just a cynic who considers ethical business practices from a seller more important than possibly getting some admittedly beautiful leather goods at some point in the future. Maybe. Unless something happens again.

roo_ster
March 14, 2008, 08:34 AM
I am taking new orders to pay for the old ones.

A re-phrasing might be helpful, here. As it is, it sounds like a leather-wrapped pyramid scheme. It leads one to think, "Well, the today's 'new' orders will have to be financed with tomorrow's 'new' orders."

Good luck.

shdwfx
March 14, 2008, 03:23 PM
@nclivingbrit
Ok, so you freely admit you've got orders so outstanding -you- don't even know what they are and you swear blind you're on the level.... but you're still taking money for orders.

In Eric's defense, he is not taking money for new orders until he is ready to cut the leather. I have a holster on order and have not yet paid one dime.

But hey, what would I know... I'm just a cynic who considers ethical business practices from a seller more important than possibly getting some admittedly beautiful leather goods at some point in the future. Maybe. Unless something happens again.

Especially considering you do not have a dog in this race and don't know the whole story, rude, Low Road comments such as that do not contribute in any meaningful way.

P.S.
@ Eric, please don't say you suck. Made some mistakes, even big ones? Ok sure. But you are doing your best to make things right. Keep believing.

asknight
March 14, 2008, 03:58 PM
NCLivingBrit, this one's for you...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/asknight_2006/fail4.jpg

I think you've just about run your wheels off in this thread.

PCRCCW
March 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
NCLivingBrit...funny! First off, Ive been raked over the coals on the net for the past year by the best....what you have to seay wont even phase me. Good luck!

Second, I am not taking money to finance old and new orders until they are done! Ive learned my lesson and have changed everything I do business wise!

I wish you the best..........god bless and shoot well.

PCRCCW
March 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
NCLivingBrit you obviously dont know the whole story...probably dont care to.

Ive been raked over the coals by the best on the net for over a year and trust me.......it doesnt phase me! Good luck.

I with you the best.........God bless and shoot well.

Cowbiker
March 16, 2008, 10:33 PM
Eric,

Thank you for the fine leather, even if it took a while, I am beyond pleased with what I received.

Thank You.

roo_ster
March 17, 2008, 08:01 AM
asknight:

That graphic is more aptly directed at the man who did not meet his obligations after charging folks' cards.

jeepmor
March 21, 2008, 07:45 PM
If they didn't have stamps, I don't think I could tell the difference between HBE's or UBG's work regarding in-hand custom product quality. Both leathersmiths live in Utah and make leather goods for income. Both are superb for their price, I honestly really like the one of each that I have.

Regarding the customer service experience, I'm a UBG customer now.

PCRCCW
March 23, 2008, 11:57 AM
Good eye...there are subtle differences in our leather...some styles are very close and some are all mine and his also. Nate hung out in my shop for a while.....pointers and such. He makes some very very nice stuff!
I do this for a living...Nate tells people where to go for a living....mostly pilots!

Shoot well..........

shdwfx
March 29, 2008, 09:27 PM
I ordered a holster from HBE Leatherworks for a compact-frame Glock.
That was Jan 28, and it arrived today!

Eric Larsen (Holster's By Eric) was very helpful and spent a good half hour on the phone ironing out details. Still, he did not ask me to send funds till last week when he was ready to cut leather. My experience with him was stellar.

http://lh5.google.com/shdwfx.forums/R-7ndPEyswI/AAAAAAAAAEg/e08NcvAhuH4/IMG_5282.JPG.jpg?imgmax=512

http://lh4.google.com/shdwfx.forums/R-7ne_EysxI/AAAAAAAAAEo/7gRv8gFA0Po/IMG_5284.JPG.jpg?imgmax=512

http://lh3.google.com/shdwfx.forums/R-7ngvEysyI/AAAAAAAAAEw/SOafZgxQeeg/IMG_5285.JPG.jpg?imgmax=576

Tyrannosaurus
May 5, 2008, 11:13 PM
I ordered a holster from Eric and received it right when he said it would. It's my first IWB holster, for a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm, and I'm extremely happy with it. I also got a belt to go with it, and the quality is amazing.

ShortyKimber
May 27, 2008, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately not all artisans are good businessmen. I have a Com2 that I wear all day every day and it is as good as it gets. Today I will order my third holster from Erik, in addition I will continue to send my friends to him as well. I missed all the drama of years past but in the here and now I have full confidence in Erik's ability to craft an excellent product.

intlcup
December 10, 2008, 04:22 AM
I was browsing through and found this thread... I'm a little disconcerted that I ordered a holster in march 2006 and now he's making holsters again yet I don't seem to be on the list of holsters to be made.

this is just FANTASTIC:cuss:... I'll stop there because enough has already been said about the situation in other threads and forums.

armoredman
December 10, 2008, 05:01 AM
I hope you get in contact with Eric on your issue. I received a COMIII from Eric a while ago that was first quality, probably the most comfortable IWB I have ever used.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/advert2HBE.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/advert3HBE.jpg

intlcup
January 22, 2009, 11:40 AM
I emailed HBE and he seemed very gracious and willing to get my order done with an estimate of 4 weeks for delivery....

that was on the 12th of December and its now 6 weeks later. Because of the holiday's and potential time off I'll give it a little while longer, but its shaping up to be the same old runaround I got the first time I tried to get my holster.

here's for hoping.

jgh4445
January 27, 2009, 04:51 PM
I ordered a tuckable over a year ago.( Maybe a bit longer) He didn't ask for a penny up front and said he'd ship within 6 to 8 weeks and that he'd get in touch before he shipped. To this day I have never heard from him. From the looks of the web page a lot of changes have been made and prices have certainly increased. I had almost forgotten entirely about the holster till I stumbled across this thread.I still might try and order from him. Anyone can get in a bind. It's how they handle it that counts.

jclassboat
November 17, 2009, 12:52 AM
I ordered a holster for my CZ-75-SPo1 from HBE. I received it in a timely manner and it fits the weapon very well. I was unable to locate a ready-made holster, on the web, for this gun. I am pleased with HBE.

czkahr
November 23, 2009, 01:05 PM
I have only good things to say about Erik. It took a long time to get the holster I wanted from him, as he warned, the price was in line with others. After I got it and used it a couple of days I realized it wasnt quite what I thought I wanted, in spite of being exactly what was ordered. He readily accepted the return and sent another design that must have been in stock it was here in a couple days. They are very nicely made. He must have gotten past whatever difficulties he was having

SiRed91
December 12, 2009, 03:03 PM
I ordered 3 holsters and a shark belt from Eric and recieved them all in a very timely manner, I am extremely pleased with the craftmanship.

Lotsa shark
http://i45.tinypic.com/jb1wcn.jpg

Losta elephant
http://i45.tinypic.com/aabuis.jpg

Hoser
December 21, 2009, 07:59 PM
I ordered 3 holsters and a shark belt from Eric and recieved them all in a very timely manner, I am extremely pleased with the craftmanship.

Well when you are the guy making them, of course you got them in a timely manner...

SiRed91
December 22, 2009, 11:25 PM
you are funny.....If you and the two other people who have a problem USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION OF THE INTERNET you will quickly come to another conclusion. I use this screen name on every site i visit. From what I can tell, Eric is not banned? why would he make another account?

Use your brain, dont be a Jon Caradimas or a Ted Kanaley.
I find it HILARIOUS that it even comes up.

Guns and more
December 23, 2009, 11:56 AM
You ordered in 2006?
Contact him again if you still want the holster.
I had some made by Eric and they were fine quality.
He does answer his e-mail on a Blackberry, so if you want a certain color, don't e-mail a picture, as he won't see it. (as I learned).
He's had his ups and downs, but I think he's up now.

SiRed91
December 23, 2009, 08:06 PM
Careful man, if you post that all the mods everywhere will think you are Eric

roo_ster
December 24, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hoser:

I am curious as to why you would make such an accusation.

I assume THR captures IP addys of every poster. Is the addy of PCRCCW (assumed to be EL's usual handle) and SiRed91 identical?

Or is there some other bit of data that leads you to your conclusion?

EL has had problems delivering what he said he was going to in the past, but adopting alternate handles and fabricating a "satisfied customer" would be something new to my knowledge. Such a deception would be a more serious moral transgression than not meeting his obligations.

Personally, I think such an accusation of moral turpitude needs to be backed up or withdrawn.

If SiRed91 is the real deal, EL may be born again (somewhat more) reliable and worth doing business with. If SiRed91 is a deception, EL's name is mud in my book, as I can forgive failure, but not deception.

I will assume no / lack of response to my query as admission that the accusation is withdrawn.

------------------------

FTR, I have bought some of EL's handiwork in the past. I was completely satisfied as to quality and he delivered the product sooner than his estimate.

EL than lost my repeat business due to all the mess as documented in this thread and by ignoring the commo from a buddy of mine interested in EL's product. I also felt I could no longer recommend EL to people seeking carry gear.

SiRed91
December 24, 2009, 01:30 AM
FWIW he is only riding the back of a MOD on 1911 forums that has issues with Eric and accused me of the same thing....He was also wrong, and banned me for fun, Yes, I know Eric Larsen, and NO, I am NOT defending his actions, in fact, I know nothing of what he has done to warrant the attitudes against him on other sites untill I read this thread. And i dont care, because they are not my problems. I hope Eric can redeem himself.

I am not Eric Larsen.

But John Caradimas cant admit it, and neither can Ted Kanaley. They both have their own ideas and can't be MEN and admit their mistake.
I find it absolutely REDICULOUS that they banned me ONLY for posting pics of the leather I received from Eric. Thats it, and ban.

SO I AM ASSUMING "LIKE HOSER" THAT HOSER SAW THE OTHER FORUMS AND JUST HAD TO DO IT HERE TOO.

I apologize if I am wrong, but I am not. I just hope some "people" here are more mature than the other two I mentioned.

T. Kanaley
December 24, 2009, 11:09 AM
Withdrawn.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone ordered or received an order from Eric at HBE leather?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!