Where to Get Cheap Target Ammo

PDA

hoji
June 16, 2006, 09:48 PM
Currently I am going to the evil Wal-Mart to purchase my 9mm target ammo. At 4.63 a box for the 115gr Winchester, it is the cheapest I have found it. I buy all of it every time I go there{ I generally only go there for this ammo} as they only get 10 boxes at a time.
Is there anywhere out there that can beat this price? If so please link it to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to Get Cheap Target Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jes
June 16, 2006, 11:14 PM
"Is there anywhere out there that can beat this price? "

No

rangerruck
June 16, 2006, 11:19 PM
kCarter's country and Academy here in houston, can match those prices.

Zen21Tao
June 16, 2006, 11:30 PM
You could start reloading your own. 9mm is already so cheap that reloading for it won't save you money but it will allow you to customize a more accurate more consistant round for near what you would pay for WWB.

jes
June 16, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm in Houston too. I have found both Academy and Carter's Country to be about $0.50 to $1.00 more per 50 round box of 9 mm. Maybe things have changed. YMMV with other calibers.

Cuerte Kid
June 17, 2006, 12:34 AM
Stick to wal-mart. They have the best prices. Even though they don't sell guns no more at least they still sell ammo and shooting assecories.

hoji
June 17, 2006, 05:57 AM
Thanks,
I was afraid of that.
The Cheapest ammo Academy has is CCI Blazer aluminum, at 4.94 a box.
I think I will take my latest receipt from WM{ testerday, bought all 9 boxes they had in stock} and talk to a manager at Academy.{ this has worked before } I will show him the receipt, and state that if they can beat the price,{ with anything but Wolf ammo} I will spend my money with them, and furthermore, all my friends, students, and acquaintences{ gun range people} will be told of Academy's willingness to get our buisness.

hoji
June 17, 2006, 06:16 AM
A side note.
Until January 1 this year, CCI Blazer was 3.83 a box. The ammo is not the best in the world but as I shoot a Glock, and Glock test fires their guns with CCI Blazer, I have no problem at all putting 1,000 rounds a month through my 19, especially at76.60 per 1000:) My PC 9 Carbine also has no problem digesting them.
But I digress. The fact that their cheapest ammo went up over 1.10 per box of 50 has probably cost Academy a lot of buisness. Even if WM is losing $$$ on the Winchester at 4.63 a box, you are already in the store, and not at the competition. Fact is, rarely does anyone else get to buy the 4.63 a box stuff as I buy all of it when I go there.
Also the 100 round loose pack of the same ammo at WM is 11.63 per box:what: yup 9.26 for two boxes of 50, with the styrofoam shell holders{ nice for saving brass} or 11.63 for 100 rounds in one convienient box:D

Lou629
June 17, 2006, 08:45 AM
Better resign yourself to the fact that the days of 'cheap' anything in the ammo. department are not long for this world except for .22LR. and even those now cost twice what they used to when i first started shooting.

If you shoot 1000 rds. of 9mm a month on a regular basis, i would stock up now, before this current round of price increases goes to the next level. Best prices i've seen anywhere lately have been @ Wally-World and Dick's, by the case.

Prices seem to be rising nearly every week locally, but no matter where you shop, the current prices will look 'cheap' in comparison to where they will be in another six months to a year or so, if this keeps up.

VaughnT
June 18, 2006, 07:12 PM
Dick's Sporting Goods, a lousy place for anything other than ammo, usu has monthly sales on their Remington UMC ammo. The last sign I saw had a box price of just over $5, plus you get another 10% off if you buy more than 500 rounds.

The last time I bought there, I walked out with a thousand rounds for $113.

MechAg94
June 18, 2006, 09:05 PM
Go to a gun show and buy a case.

rangerruck
June 18, 2006, 09:38 PM
usually once a month Academy and Carters has their cci or winnies on sale for 4 . per box.

minuteman1970
June 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
$4 - $5 per box of 9mm FMJ ammo is a great price, bordering on what most dealer's can get it for wholesale. I would stock up on it while you still can...

Lou629
June 18, 2006, 10:26 PM
Went to the local DSG today, the sale price of 9mm is now 5.98/bx. if bought by the case. Still not too unreasonable, but up 10% from the end of last month.

Kentak
June 18, 2006, 10:27 PM
Is there anywhere out there that can beat this price?

Maybe. But is it as convenient as your local Wal-Mart? Worth the gas to drive to save a few nickels per box?

K

Stainless Chili
June 18, 2006, 10:36 PM
ammoman is out of it at the moment, but will soon have
Speer 250-count JHP bulk boxes. It works out to about six-per-box.

Excellent ammo, and I never hesitate to use it for carry.

I just ordered ammo from ammoman and CheaperThanDirt.

CTD has a smaller selection than I remember.

Sunray
June 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
"...If you shoot 1000 rds. of 9mm a month on a regular basis..." You should be reloading. Factory ammo doesn't cut it for consistent accuracy.
In any case, WWB isn't 'target' ammo. It's ok for fun shooting but highly accurate in all pistols it ain't. Mind you, there aren't many target pistols chambered in 9mm anyway.

Deer Hunter
June 18, 2006, 10:54 PM
My local academy/walmart is a 30 minute drive one way, and a 30 minute drive back.

Mail Order bullets look awfully nice when you're in the boonies.

Kenneth Lew
June 19, 2006, 04:36 AM
think I will take my latest receipt from WM{ testerday, bought all 9 boxes they had in stock} and talk to a manager at Academy.{ this has worked before } I will show him the receipt, and state that if they can beat the price,{ with anything but Wolf ammo} I will spend my money with them, and furthermore, all my friends, students, and acquaintences{ gun range people} will be told of Academy's willingness to get our buisness.

Good luck, if you can get Academy to match Walmart's $4.63 a box for Winchester 115 gr., I'm good for about at least 20k rounds.

hoji
June 19, 2006, 07:52 AM
"...If you shoot 1000 rds. of 9mm a month on a regular basis..." You should be reloading. Factory ammo doesn't cut it for consistent accuracy.
In any case, WWB isn't 'target' ammo. It's ok for fun shooting but highly accurate in all pistols it ain't. Mind you, there aren't many target pistols chambered in 9mm anyway.

Why should I be reloading 9mm?
I shoot a Glock. No reloads. I know if you are good you can load to factory specs but I am not. Cheaper to buy.

Lou629
June 19, 2006, 08:58 AM
In spite of the propaganda put out by some reloading apologists, it doesn't pay to reload 9mm anyway Hoji.

wheelgunslinger
June 19, 2006, 09:37 AM
Lou629,
What price per round would 9mm have to be, in your opinion, to warrant reloading?

Silver Bullet
June 19, 2006, 09:40 AM
My local academy/walmart is a 30 minute drive one way, and a 30 minute drive back.
If you live in a big city, a 30 minute drive is nothing.

Silver Bullet
June 19, 2006, 09:42 AM
Go to a gun show and buy a case.
Arizona guns shows are no bargains, at least not in the stuff I'm interested in. I haven't priced ammo by the case, though.

jwmiller
June 19, 2006, 10:09 AM
$4.63 a box is a steal!! I just picked up 9mm WWB yesterday at my local Walmart (Cleveland) and it cost me $6.75 a box. That's still the cheapest I have seen it in my area.

htcw454
June 19, 2006, 10:46 AM
If your gonna use wally world, look for the value packs/ 100 rds 11.22. Also try cheap as dirt for good price on better quality ammo

Lou629
June 19, 2006, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure where the price point would tip the balance for me, but i suppose it could be getting closer with the current round of price increases. However, everyone is paying higher prices these days, for everything from factory loads to re-loading components, so i imagine any difference will stay the same on a % basis.

Until just recently, I've been able to get plenty of factory 9mm for an average of 8 cents a round, and i have quite a bit of it stacked away. Reloading may be in the same price range, maybe even slightly less, but one does not save enough money to interest me in it.

I should also state that i do not shoot anywhere near 1K rounds per month on anything approaching a regular basis like Hoji does, so perhaps in the long run it could work to his advantage, but it's highly unlikely that it's going to save him the fortune that a lot of reloaders seem to claim.

Nhsport
June 19, 2006, 02:29 PM
It is not that you couldn't save "some" money reloading 9mm.To match Wall mart prices you would have to buy large bulk ammounts of powder,primers ,and bullets. The real deal breaker for most folks is the time spent actually doing the reloading (not to mention the time on your hands and knees at the range scrapeing up your brass!) Some guys find some enjoyment in it (good for them)but although I am set up equipment wise for all my calibers, just knowing I can save more $ reloading one 20rd box of 45-70 than a 1000rds of 9mm makes up my mind. I have a couple thousand pieces of 9mm clean brass tucked away just in case,but I totally enjoy squirting win white box and wolf all over my range with no thought as to where it is going.
I reload most everything else except carry ammo (legal thing!) but 9mm,.380 7.62X39 ,.25acp,and most of my 5.56 blasting ammo comes fron somebodys factory. That would be a big factory with a known name,only custom reloads I consider is Black Hills.

Lou629
June 19, 2006, 02:49 PM
I hear 'ya there. I have often thought that the heavy-duty or exotic calibers that are expensive, hard to find, or both, would be one good argument in favor of reloading. My answer to that has always been to keep my selection of guns in the most commonly available & least expensive calibers.

30/30 & 12Ga. are on sale almost all the time and at good prices, bordering on dirt cheap, every hunting season. I simply wait every year for the pre & post-season sales and stock up. The local retailers sometimes have blow-the-doors-out specials on 9mm, .38 & .357 during this time of year too, and i am not above taking full advantage of them, just like they try to do to all of us the rest of the time.

Presuming dry conditions the stuff doesn't go bad sitting on a shelf, and if the deals are good enough i will often buy enough to last several years every fall. The shelves it sits on do need to be expanded or reinforced every so often though. :what:

zeke1312
June 19, 2006, 03:58 PM
Hoji:

Whatever you do, don't go to that "evil Wal*Mart".

Thanks for shopping with us and have a nice day!:)

Sam Adams
June 19, 2006, 06:18 PM
Reloading 9mm is not a very profitable thing to do - by itself. However, if you've already got the press and related equipment, the only extra cost involved is the dies. Those generally cost around $20-$25, depending on where you get them, and cheaper if you get them used. By the way, it takes way longer to make this work if you've got to buy the brass - and I'll assume that anyone who's going to reload 9s already has a bunch of it.

For me, the costs are approximately as follows, per 100 (and it helps to buy in quantities of 1,000): 115 grain FMJs will cost in the range of $4.50-$5.00. The powder will cost about $1.00-$1.50, and the primers will cost something like $2.00. Thus, excluding brass and your labor, the cost to reload 100 rounds of 9mm is $7.50-$8.50. Let's use the mid-point of $8.00, and assume that you're saving $1.25/100. No, that's not a lot at all - but if you appreciate the non-quantifiable benefits of reloading (quiet time, relaxation, etc.), then the time spent doing this is well spent. Strictly from a cost perspective, saving $1.25/100 will pay you back for your dies in well under 2,000 rounds, and after that you help to pay off your press, scale, calipers, etc.

I reload 9s because I like reloading them, and I like the idea of being able to make my own ammo for every caliber that I own (except .22LR, but everyone should have a few thousand of those) in the event of a disaster. The cost savings and the accuracy benefits of reloading really apply in spades to other calibers (mainly rifles for me, though also for .45s and some defensive .38 rounds as well).

hoji
June 19, 2006, 08:27 PM
If your gonna use wally world, look for the value packs/ 100 rds 11.22. Also try cheap as dirt for good price on better quality ammo

Here it is 11.98 but at 4.63 for a box of 50, why would I spend the extra 2 bucks and change to get the "value pack":what: ? And CTD wants 7 bucks for the same ammo.

I go through on average 10-15000 rounds of duty caliber per year.
And about twice that in .22.
As an instructor, I feel obligated to be at the absolute top of my game all the time. As one who carries a firearm in the public{ whether at work, or off duty} I have an even greater obligation to the public to be as proficient with my gun{s} as I am with my truck.

I do some reloading, just not for my Glocks. The only KBs seem to be with reloaded ammo. Something about case support.
The gun show here in Austin does not want gun owners to shop there{ By posting 30.06} and when I did go, not really any deals.

RnR
June 20, 2006, 01:11 PM
Looks like your per 50 box price at WW is a little out of date... take advantage of it at the counter while you can!

Around here, it's about $6.60 give or take for 50 115gr. FMJ 9mm via Winchester and $11.98 for the 100-pack. Definitely climbing but still attractive comparatively speaking.

hoji
June 20, 2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah,
That's what it looks like. Buy all every time I go in.:rolleyes:

davidkalger
December 25, 2006, 04:41 PM
No gun store can ever beat wal-mart in ammo prices due to quantity i work at a gunstore/ gunrange and our prices will never beat wal-marts they will beat us in prices but never quality they order 100-150 pallets of ammo at a time and sell it over a period of 2-3 years u ever checked the lot numbers on your boxes of ammo somea are 2-3 years old

kmtirish
December 25, 2006, 04:44 PM
natchez shooters supply is good and cheaperthandirt.com is also:)

wooderson
December 25, 2006, 06:19 PM
re: Wal-Mart. Anyone had any luck getting a manager to order a couple thousand extra rounds for you, rather than depleting their stock every time you stop by?

Mr. Beretta
December 25, 2006, 09:36 PM
Gents

The price of ammo is "going thru the roof". When I find a great deal, I buy as much as I can afford. Stored right, it will never go bad and it's never going to get any cheaper. My humble two-bits!

hoji
December 26, 2006, 10:27 AM
Wal Mart is now 7.25 per box as of a couple of months ago. I knew it was too good to last, but I was able to get almost a year's worth of ammo before they realized the price error.

Now I shop at Academy{5.64 per box} and have a clean conscience.
The ammo was the only reason I went to wal- Mart.

redneck2
December 26, 2006, 11:35 AM
I have a full reloading set-up, but I still wouldn't reload 9mm if I could buy it for $5.00. As noted, the worst thing is scrounging the brass.

Anybody have to figure in freight?? I'd think that freight on loaded ammo would be a deal breaker, but I never mail order ammo, so I don't know.

I have a G20 and definitely reload for it

Now, for the guys that shun more "exotic" calibers and stick with the plain Jane ones, I can shoot my .44 mag, 10mm, or 45LC for the same price (actually maybe a little cheaper) than a 9mm with factory ammo.

Depends on how you look at it. I can reload for 20-30 minutes, shoot all day (well, however long it takes to burn up 200-250 rounds) with match grade stuff, and shoot about any caliber I want.

Whatever floats your boat.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to Get Cheap Target Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!