Took 2 new shooters to the range tonight

PDA

creitzel
June 16, 2006, 10:06 PM
I took a couple of guys from work to the range tonight. They both were kind of anti gun until tonight :) One of them is Canadian, and pretty much was ignorant about guns altogether. The other one is the type to ask questions like "Why do you need that" etc. As a matter of fact, it was a discussion that he and I were having along those lines that prompted me to invite him to the range.

We put about 300 rounds through my Mark II, and a Smith and Wesson 317 .22 revolver. We also put about 50 rounds through a Sig Sauer .380.

They both were uptight about the trip before hand. And they both left my house with huge smiles on their faces tonight :) They are both considering getting their own guns now.

All around, it was a good experience. I am finding that I like introducing new shooters to the sport :)

Just thought I'd share :)

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Took 2 new shooters to the range tonight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shadan7
June 16, 2006, 11:14 PM
Good on you! I've found in about 40 years of shooting that one of the best ways to win over an anti is to take 'em to the range. :D

DirksterG30
June 17, 2006, 06:39 AM
Well done, Chris. Every time we introduce someone to firearms, that's one more that will see through the anti's weak & emotion-based arguments.

Dionysusigma
June 17, 2006, 06:46 AM
I've gotta say that there's nothing better than a .22 revolver for a newbie. :) Ever since I got my little Heritage Rough Rider, I've been starting 'em out on that so they get used to the 4 rules and a horrible sight picture before moving them up to something more powerful and easier to aim. :evil:

For some reason, they always seem to like either the Vektor SP-2 or the Bersa (God rest her soul :( ) the best, depending on the person. Can't say I blame them, but they never seem to really want to take more than a couple shots with the Mauser. :confused: :p

creitzel
June 17, 2006, 04:02 PM
they both liked my Mark II the best. Everytime I've taken newbies to the range, they all seem to gravitate to my Mark II (granted, it is the only gun I bring with me for them to try, but I usually rent 2 or 3 others at the range for them as well). I have to say, I'm rather fond of it myself :)

It was really funny in that the guy who was the most vocally anti-gun at the outset, was the one who was still shooting when our time was up, and I was cleaning up to leave. I practically had to pry the gun away from him, and promise that I would take him again. :) Of course, I told him that he buys the ammo next time :evil: I really felt like I did some good for our sport by converting him :)

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Took 2 new shooters to the range tonight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!