(MI) Would gun buyback increase peace?

PDA

Drizzt
June 17, 2006, 11:12 AM
Would gun buyback increase peace?
Saturday, June 17, 2006
By Theresa D. Mcclellan
The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- In response to recent gun violence that has killed four people and injured many more, a Kent County commissioner wants to take firearms off the streets by buying them and offering limited immunity to illegal owners.

Commissioner Paul Mayhue is urging the public to send money to the Kent County Sheriff's Department. He is concerned about months of violence on the Southeast Side of Grand Rapids.

"If we could get the violence to stop, we could have an anti-gun-violence celebration," he said.

Police Chief Harry Dolan is skeptical. Studies show buyback programs don't get the right weapons off the street, he said, and gang members would not surrender their firearms.

Details of the plan still are being developed. Prosecutor William Forsyth said he will not authorize immunity for anyone who shot or robbed someone with a gun.

"It's way too premature, and it has to be run by a police agency," Forsyth said. "I'm willing to go along within reason."

Undersheriff Jon Hess said the sheriff's department will support an amnesty program "successfully set up to run." But he doesn't want people sending money to his office.

"We'll be the receiver of guns. That's how we participated in the past," he said.

Mayhue has another idea to reduce violence: a peace summit involving gangs. He said pastors Charlie Jones and Kenny Hoskins have agreed to let their churches be meeting places.

Jones, pastor of Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church on Dennis Avenue SE, said: "It would be a joy to see them there. It doesn't bother me one ounce on who they are."

Dolan, however, wants nothing to do with a gang summit.

"I am opposed to any event that provides to individuals who prey on citizens any type of celebrity status," the Grand Rapids chief said.

Dolan noted the shootings -- in an area roughly bounded by Wealthy and Cottage Grove streets, Division Avenue and the eastern city limit -- have mostly been separate, unrelated incidents.

"The violence we are experiencing is more disturbing and troubling than gangs," he said. "This type of violence is young people's inability to cope with conflict."

Dolan recalled a recent incident at the Phillips Recreation Center, where a young person told to leave responded by firing a gun in the air.

"Categorizing violence in terms of gangs is to minimize the real disturbing concerns of those who feel they have no hope," he said.

He said ministers should follow their heart about hosting a summit. But the only way he would be among gang members would be to arrest them.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-30/1150526003224740.xml&coll=6

If you enjoyed reading about "(MI) Would gun buyback increase peace?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shermacman
June 17, 2006, 11:25 AM
"If we could get the violence to stop, we could have an anti-gun-violence celebration," he said.

There, we can all agree with that! And won't it be a wonderful celebration! Imagine! People of all races and creeds and sexual orientation all standing in a circle, holding hands and singing: Kumbayah!!!!!!!

Maxwell
June 17, 2006, 11:48 AM
Studies show buyback programs don't get the right weapons off the street

I wonder how much we paid some university genius to figure that out. :rolleyes:

If we could get the violence to stop, we could have an anti-gun-violence celebration

Why would you still want everyones guns AFTER the violence stops? :scrutiny:

a peace summit involving gangs.

Peace among the violent youth that have been supercharged via drug money... Well this is as good an idea as the gun buyback was. :banghead:

Where do these lunatics come from?

armoredman
June 17, 2006, 11:56 AM
The only peace these street thugs know is the peace of the grave.
Community street gun purchases do nothing but get crime guns broken from the chain of evidence, provide immunity for lawbreakers, waste taxpayer dollars in fruitless exercises, and clutter public places. There is no "buy back" - they never owned them to begin with.

Old Fuff
June 17, 2006, 12:10 PM
I can't believe that all of this "gun violence" could be happening... :rolleyes:

Michigan has very strict handgun control laws, some of which go all of the way back to 1934. All sales, through dealers or private (including gun shows - no loophone here) require a permit from the police or sheriff department prior to the sale, and of course there is a background check too. Then after the sale the pistol or revolver has to be taken back to the agency that issued the purchase permit for a "safety check," which is really regisration. No sales can be made to anyone who is under 21 years of age.

Could it be that all of these laws aren't working... ???

Maybe these teens (and others) that won't behave should get to see the inside of a jail...? :evil:

amprecon
June 17, 2006, 06:59 PM
A person that freely gives away their defensive mechanism invites slavery, oppression, abuse with no means of resistance and therefore deserves every occurrance of mishappence as a result of their decision.

hoji
June 17, 2006, 07:04 PM
If the price is right you can always take that 49 dollar .25, let them "buy it back" for $150, and use the money to buy ammo for your working guns:neener:

Bigjake
June 17, 2006, 07:05 PM

arent utopian idiots CUTE!!??

Geno
June 17, 2006, 07:09 PM
In Michigan, at age 18, a person can have their parents' pistol or revolver transferred for legal ownership. But, they can not purchase one "new". One loophole.

I discovered this when I purchased a T/C, G2 Contender and a Ruger Bear Cat for our daughter "LilSureShot1994". When she turns 18, they go legally into her name. She's pretty excited.

But, Re: the topic of the thread, a buy-back? Rubbish!

Doc2005

sterling180
June 17, 2006, 07:10 PM
Commissioner Paul Mayhue is urging the public to send money to the Kent County Sheriff's Department. He is concerned about months of violence on the Southeast Side of Grand Rapids.

GRAND RAPIDS -- In response to recent gun violence that has killed four people and injured many more, a Kent County commissioner wants to take firearms off the streets by buying them and offering limited immunity to illegal owners.

Oh,dear or dear,this almost sounded like, it was set in the county of Kent-in the UK.I see that those strategies,will work perfectly,considering the fact that it is almost done,Uk style and it will have no effect whatsoever,to the causes of crime.

Still when will authorities learn anyway?

Kent County Sheriff's department,is almost the same as Kent County Constabulary.Hmmm,soon it might just end up like,in the original Kent.I hope not for your sakes,anyway.

Car Knocker
June 17, 2006, 07:15 PM
How can they have a "buyback" for something they never owned in the first place? :confused:

Monkeyleg
June 17, 2006, 07:34 PM
Sounds like the police chief is the only one with any common sense.

The last "gun buyback" program we had in Milwaukee brought in a couple of hundred guns at best. This in a city of half a million people, and a county of roughly one million.

You could probably accomplish more by giving $1 to every young person you see with a baseball hat to turn the brim to the front.

Tommygunn
June 17, 2006, 07:51 PM
As Car Knocker said, how can you buy back what you never owned?
They might also get a collection of broken junk for guns. That's about all I'd ever be willing to surrender!:neener:

(I wonder how many murder weapons have been turned in in these boondoggles?????)

1911Tuner
June 17, 2006, 08:06 PM
That's off the scale. Guns can't be violent. Violence requires malice aforethought...which requires a thought process...which requires a brain...which guns don't have. (At least, not that I can prove, though I could swear that a few have deliberately tried to drive me over the edge.)

How odd that some people don't seem to be able to grasp that concept.

Leanwolf
June 17, 2006, 08:42 PM
" ... a Kent County commissioner (Mayhue) wants to take firearms off the streets ..."

Hmmm. If firearms are walking around on the street, unchaperoned, why doesn't the good Commissioner Mayhue just go out there and pick them up and put them in a cage????

End of problem.

L.W.

mrmeval
June 17, 2006, 10:38 PM
Gun buybacks would increase the PRICE.

If high enough. I'd take a 200 dollar target gift certificate for every junk pistol I could get my hands on or make. :)

Then sell them on ebay for 100 and buy more guns.

gezzer
June 18, 2006, 12:24 AM
PC nitwit, feely good gun Buyback? What buyback? They never owned them in the first place. Who is kidding who?

AJAX22
June 18, 2006, 12:22 PM
I disagree with gun buybacks on principal, I don't care if there is money to be made, the Idea of surrendering a firearm to an authority who will destroy it is painfull to me.

We need to keep as many guns in circulation as possible, and keep them in hands that WE deem responsible.

You would be better served by taking that fifty dollar gun and making it a gift to a non firearm owning friend who is a responsible individual.

Diomed
June 19, 2006, 12:22 AM
You would be better served by taking that fifty dollar gun and making it a gift to a non firearm owning friend who is a responsible individual.

I dunno man, giving a friend a Jennings jam-o-matic might just wind up costing you that friendship. :p

beerslurpy
June 19, 2006, 12:54 AM
The only things that gun buybacks increase is the market value of guns normally worth less than 100 dollars.

And then a parade and airshow, featuring the monkeys that flew out...

Disarming criminals is no easier than catching them and preventing them from committing crimes. All these anti-gun measures do is disarm people who werent committing crimes in the first place. The criminal gun market is very small and easy to supply, as the UK has demonstrated with their explosion in pistol crime several years after they banned them all.

Gun buybacks are a lot like telling everyone to turn themselves in at the police station to see if they have warrants. Obviously anyone who shows up isnt going to have warrants. And anyone that does have warrants will continue to avoid the police.

Clipper
June 19, 2006, 04:18 PM
I know a guy with 3 old (I wouldn't trust 'em to be safe to shoot, but they're legal) pistols that will sell 'em all for $50.00...Now I just wait for a $100.00 each 'buy back'...

unspellable
June 19, 2006, 04:31 PM
How many of these implements of death and destruction will have come out of a trunk in some little old lady's attic? Where they would have kept company with the bats for the the next 15 years with no buyback. One thing's for sure, these will be the only ones in the buy back with a market value above the buy back figure.

I once bought a nice S&W from such a little old lady. She was quite nervous about letting me have it, not withstanding that I had a permit proving a back ground check.

wheelgunslinger
June 19, 2006, 04:43 PM
It's funny how they highlight the crime from one side of town. And, I wonder what socioeconomic strata the residents of this neighborhood fall into.
I also wonder how many buybacks will come from areas completely far and away from this part of town? 80%? More?

What a ridiculous waste of taxpayer's money when they could use those funds to do something more effective for the education or law enforcement system.

Ira Aten
June 19, 2006, 05:28 PM
Quote:

"(MI) Would gun buyback increase peace?"

Well, let's see. They have been running the "gun buy back" scams for over twenty five years now.

They keep griping about violence. Apparantly, no, they don't work.

Next, let's try gun confiscations, since "gun buy back" programs have not succeeded.

Let's review.

Germany did a total gun confiscation in the late thirties, and several million people were executed.

Cambodia did the same many years later, with the same result. Oh, so did Russia, Laos, and China, and millions upon millions of innocents died after turning in their guns, so I guess since a gun confiscation program is better than a "gun buy back" program (according to the "anti-gun" crowd experts trying to bring us peace) niether of these methods equal a decrease of any type, in violence.

So I guess... no. They don't.

mrmeval
June 19, 2006, 10:08 PM
When you do get them be sure to strip out any useful parts that don't show and sell those to fix other guns. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "(MI) Would gun buyback increase peace?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!