General question about trademarks/copryights

PDA

Slater
June 17, 2006, 12:36 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=70824

I know that I'm missing something obvious here, but how can a Chinese company stamp repro mags with Colt's trademark pony logo? Is this somehow in the public domain?

If you enjoyed reading about "General question about trademarks/copryights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Slater
June 17, 2006, 12:38 PM
Sorry, this should have been in the Legal/Political section. Mods, please move if appropriate.

Edmond
June 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
My guess is that the Chinese government doesn't really care about American trademarks and copyrights.

Mauserguy
June 17, 2006, 12:58 PM
They may be legitimately licensed. Just because it comes from China doesn't necessarily mean that it is contraband.

Most designer clothing is made by licensed sub-contractors in China and that is perfectly legitimate. Do you really think that all that Louis Vuitan and Gucci junk is made in Italy? Most of that stuff is made in China, and they simply apply the label, the most costly part, in Italy and call it Italian. Maybe Colt has a license out to the Chinese.
Mauserguy

Oleg Volk
June 17, 2006, 01:02 PM
Chinese makers would have trouble selling pirated merchandize in the US. hey would not necessarily have much trouble selling it in China or Russia.

Jim K
June 17, 2006, 10:50 PM
The ad doesn't say the mags are made in China, only that they are "reproductions." Colt has not always made its own magazines. They may be made by the original Colt contractor (whoever that was) with an OK from Colt.

Colt originally put the "pony" on because other magazine makers got away with using the name "Colt" by claiming that they were just identifying the pistol the magazine was used in.

Jim

Hawkmoon
June 17, 2006, 11:05 PM
I'm sure they are unauthorized copies. Some while ago I succombed to that ad and ordered a pair. They are, to put it as politely as possible, JUNK. They simply didn't function, in a 1911 that usually works with any old magazine I shove in it. I then took a closer look and noticed that the stamping in the baseplate was not very deep, and it wasn't even -- one side was deeper than the other.

I sent 'em back to Sportsmans Guide and orederd a pair of genuine Colt magazines from Brownells. The difference was like night and day. Baseplate markings on the rwal thing are all deep, sharp and uniform. And ... the magazines work.

mp510
June 17, 2006, 11:57 PM
They claim them to be OEM in the ad as well- definetely fishy.

The Chinese definetely don't have any control over the counterfeiting in their country, and despite their claims to the contrary, the government engages in the counterfitting and piracy. Anybody remember the Chinese Uzi's in the late 1980's? Made by Norinco, which is run by the PLA. Periodically they smash some in the street, but what gets caught is small peas- comparable to the Prohibition Agents of days gone by. If they can get it through customs, it can be sold here, relatively easily.

Hawkmoon
June 18, 2006, 05:10 PM
They claim them to be OEM in the ad as well- definetely fishy.

Actually, they don't. They use typical, misleading (i.e. borderline fraudulant) terminology. What they say is that they are "reproduction" OEM ... which is a contradiction in terms. If they are reproductions, they aren't OEM. And if they are made by Colt ... they aren't reproductions, they ARE OEM.

IMHO they are fakes. I am amazed that Colt hasn't sued them, because I suspect a lot of people are being fooled, and a lot of people are going to be unhappy with "Colt" lack of quality and performance.

Firepower starts with reproduction ColtŪ 1911 .45 cal. 7 or 8-rd. Mags.

Reproduction ColtŪ OEM Mags. Each Mag has the "Rampant Colt" symbol stamped on the base plate.

Edmond
June 18, 2006, 08:39 PM
In my opinion, magazines are like electrical parts on your car, buy OEM parts because they know their tolerances best. With the magazine being a weak link in a semi-auto pistol, don't help Murphy out by using cheap mags.

If you enjoyed reading about "General question about trademarks/copryights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!