Didn't draw on a homeless man!

PDA

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 17, 2006, 11:17 PM
I was on my way work today on the Harbor Island here in Seattle and as I was at a light getting up on to I-5, I noticed one of those homeless people holdong a sign for help. Well he had the typical look dirty close, hadnt shaved in about a month, dirty hair and an old bag. Well I kinda felt sorry for him I didnt have andy money, becasue I rarely carey cash with debit cards and all. But I had a cheese burgur that I had just bought for dinner that I was going to eat on my way to work, and I figured what the hay I will let him have it. I roled my window and tried to give him the food, and he got mad saying he was standing here for financial help not Mcdonalds, I was shocked because he was getting pretty p*ssed off. I was carrying, but didnt need the feel to draw a weapon, had he gotten any more violent I was pretty sure I could have handled him without the use of a gun. I was however completely shocked at this guy, I was thinking my goodness I try to give what I had at the time to help, and all he can do is B**ch that it is not money. Some people are amazing.:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Didn't draw on a homeless man!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RyanM
June 17, 2006, 11:28 PM
He wanted the money for booze and/or drugs, not for food. Why do you think he's homeless instead of on wellfare or something? Because he chose drugs over food.

zippo8
June 17, 2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I hear that some people make a pretty good living doing it. I once saw a vanload of them stopping at various intersections dropping them off just like it was their job. There was a family here in Dallas that would have their children stand out with them. At the end of the day they'd pile in their car and go back to their nice house.

engineer151515
June 17, 2006, 11:35 PM
When I was a kid ... thirty years ago and making minimum wage (what was that, $3 / hr??), I had a "homeless guy" ask me for money. I just finished a morning shift and was still in my McDonald's uniform. I told him "Man, I work at McDonalds. You think I have money?" Well, I took pity. I said "All I have is the change in my ashtray. Probably two bucks in pennies, nickles and dimes. It will buy you a hamburger to two".

He scoffed and walked off.
I guess he wasn't that hungry after all.

Whatever...

[TASF]Maverick
June 17, 2006, 11:36 PM
If I ever live in a place where this is a problem I will carry around coupons for free sandwiches and that's all I will offer to them.

JohnKSa
June 17, 2006, 11:37 PM
An acquaintance of mine was approached by an obviously homeless man who said he wanted some money for a cup of coffee.

Murray gave him some cash and then told him: "Forget the coffee, you need a drink! Go buy yourself some booze." Said the guy just stood there holding the bill with his mouth hanging open.

Yeah, you want to really tick these folks off, offer to buy/give them some food. That is definitely NOT what they want.

rustymaggot
June 17, 2006, 11:39 PM
maybe he hates mcdonnalds. i know i wont eat there unless i have no other option. but im the worlds pickiest eater.

10 Ring Tao
June 17, 2006, 11:43 PM
These people come to where I work during the cold months, because as an ER we can't turn them away. Trust me, they don't want food. They want money to buy whatever substance it is they're dependent on, generally alcohol.

When they ask me for money, I ask them what it is they want to buy. If they say food, and I have the time, I'll offer to buy 'em a sammich. Haven't had one take me up on it yet.

Deer Hunter
June 17, 2006, 11:44 PM
Even if I was homeless, out of work, and starving, I would hold out for something better than fast food crap....

Well, maybe not, but I'm a damned health-nut.

rbernie
June 17, 2006, 11:52 PM
Back when I smoked, I would usually give cigarettes. They could smoke 'em or barter with 'em - their call.

Working in downtown DC (Lafayette Park area), I'd go thru four or five throw-down packs a week.

Zen21Tao
June 17, 2006, 11:53 PM
When I was about 15 (around 16 years ago) and working as a stockman for Publix supermarket I had to go our store manager to Orlando to help others clean and prepare a new store in the process of opening.

On the side walk in front of the store parking lot was a "homeless" man with a "will work for food" sign. My manager went up to him and offered $10/hr for a few hours of his time to help us open the store (at the time I was making $5.50/hr).

The guy told my manager "hell no", he gets much more than that just standing there. My manager, shocked at this response, told him to leave the property. The "homeless" guy walked to a nice looking Dodge Ram and drove off.

4v50 Gary
June 17, 2006, 11:55 PM
"Will work for food" is pure B.S. Most of it goes either to drugs or booze. I never give anything. If you must give, give through the Salvation Army or your local church. Never give directly since homeless are like pigeons. They'll come even faster to your town.

mindwip
June 17, 2006, 11:58 PM
We have the best homeless in Orange County.

There is a homeless guy with a sign thats says, somthing like " I am not going to lie, i want the money for beer"

Got to love the truth in that

gezzer
June 18, 2006, 12:03 AM
giving them anything is enabling. do not feel bad for them

Stiletto Null
June 18, 2006, 12:06 AM
I actually had a homeless guy ask me for food once. I bought him lunch at a Chinese take-out place.

Guy was a pushy ******* (he ordered an iced tea on my dollar instead of just getting water) and couldn't enunciate (I had to ask him at least five times what he wanted..."shmumble and mumble mumble", aka "shrimp and chicken"), but I was feeling generous.

dartos
June 18, 2006, 12:08 AM
I had a woman approach me at a mcdonalds in chicago, she was thin as a rail and appeared to be wired on drugs, I thought she may be trying to kick the habit, she asked me if I would buy her a burger, I said sure, before I could order she asked if I would buy her the biggest burger, frys and coke, I said yes (thought she could use it), I bought her food and mine, she left and as I sat down to eat I saw her take it out to a big caddie parked in the McD's lot and pass it to a big guy sitting behind the wheel, I was pissed..BUT..she came back in to McD's walked up to me as I sat there stunned and she said..."will you buy me a burger?"..I flipped out and screamed NO!..a chicago LEO hired as security was in the burger joint..heard my yelling and walked over to me..I told him I had purchased food for this woman and she gave it to her pimp/dealer..she took off, the cop shook his head...I lost my appetite..
I have been asked only once since then to buy food for a kid, I made him eat it in front of me..

crsgw
June 18, 2006, 12:34 AM
A few years ago, my wife and I lived in a condo that way near a 7-11. There was usually a man outside, who appeared to be homeless. One cold day he approached me and said, "Excuse me, but do you have any spare change so I can buy a cup of coffee?"
I handed him a five dollare bill and I watched him walk in to the store and purchase a cup of coffee and a doughnut. When he came out, he offered my the change. I was so suprised, that I told him to keep it.
Every time I saw him after that, I asked him the last time he ate. He always seemed to be honest, sometimes telling me that he just ate that morning, and sometimes telling me he didn't remember the last time he ate. He always wished me a good day and I usually handed him a dollar or two.
This guy seemed so genuine and honest that on Christmas Eve I handed him a $20 bill. With tears in his eyes, he wished me a Merry Christmas.
My wife and I have since moved, but every time I drive by a 7-11, I think of my friend.
Then of course, I ran into one woman who took the McDonald's bag I handed her and tossed it on the ground.

Biker
June 18, 2006, 12:54 AM
Big trick in these parts is the homeless guy with a dog outside a supermarket. I go inside and buy dog food and give it to the guy. The dog didn't ask to be put in that situation.
I've been homeless (by definition) but I was always able to find some kind of work, whether it be changing air conditioner filters at a gas station in a town I was passing through for a couple of gallons of gas for my scoot or a gig playing the blues on open mike night at a bar for tips.

As Charlie Daniels said...

"Well I ain't askin' nobody for nuthin', if I can't get it in my own...
If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this Long Haired Country Boy Alone..."

Biker

Preacherman
June 18, 2006, 12:59 AM
Folks, this is a long way from gun-related. OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Didn't draw on a homeless man!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!