Some horse trading

June 18, 2006, 07:33 AM
Well after a few months of fighting with it, I realized my FAL was just too long for my short arms and short fat fingers. It's a Century Arms FAL that has been plenty reliable and I really liked it; it just didn't fit me. So today I went off to search for a more enjoyable to shoot gun to trade the FAL in on. Shop number one had a Universal M1 Carbine that caught my interest, but nothing else. I continued on shop number two where I found a Russian Makarov on consignment for $180. It was used and in decent shape; a nice pistol, but not a trade for the FAL. The third shop was the charm. There I found a S&W Model 66, no dash, 2&1/2" Bbl. I ran the little Smith thru the checkout: tight lockup, timing was good, hammer block safety funtioned, hammer stayed put when put thru the wobble test. Then they let me try the trigger - and what a trigger it was - light and crisp in DA and SA. This M66 had obviously had the action tuned up and was done right. I'd found a good piece to trade toward and showed the store owner what I wanted to trade in. He offered me the M66 and $25 toward a holster in exchange for my FAL. I agreed and we did the paperwork. I couldn't find a holster there for the S&W so he gave a $20 set of Hogues for my Hi-Power instead, at my request. Just as I was getting ready to leave with my new wheel gun he handed me a box of ammo. Given, it was aluminium cased Blazer, but it was his way of thanking me for waiting while he appraised part of a small collection that he was buying. I appreciated the gesture which gave me fifty rounds to run thru the new "Stainless Combat Magnum." It's a sweet shooting wheelie and I'm glad I made the trade for it.

Here are a couple pics:

41262 41263

If you enjoyed reading about "Some horse trading" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
June 18, 2006, 11:16 AM
Thats a sharp looking Smith. I just picked up a 4" 66-3 and must say they are sweet shooting.

June 18, 2006, 12:52 PM
You done good! Real good!

June 18, 2006, 01:01 PM
Just last week I traded an FAL for a pair of S&W revolvers. Must be something in the water...

June 19, 2006, 12:58 AM
I added a set of Hogue Monogrips today, but I'd like to get Magnas with a T-grip or the old Pachmayr grip gapper. Does anyone know of good sources on the Magnas or the old grip gappers? Any help is much appreciated.

June 19, 2006, 07:50 AM
Tyler T Grips ( for the grip adapter.

Magnas can be found on ebay. I'm not certain, but I believe yours would wear the non-diamond type, which should rununder $20.

June 19, 2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info on the Magnas Xavier. I may have to go with the T Grip, but I would prefer the smooth, no finger grip bump, face of the old Pachmayr gapper. I guess e-bay is also the place to look for those?

June 19, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yep, I've found the Pachmayr type on ebay.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some horse trading" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!