Some horse trading

PDA

ugaarguy
June 18, 2006, 07:33 AM
Well after a few months of fighting with it, I realized my FAL was just too long for my short arms and short fat fingers. It's a Century Arms FAL that has been plenty reliable and I really liked it; it just didn't fit me. So today I went off to search for a more enjoyable to shoot gun to trade the FAL in on. Shop number one had a Universal M1 Carbine that caught my interest, but nothing else. I continued on shop number two where I found a Russian Makarov on consignment for $180. It was used and in decent shape; a nice pistol, but not a trade for the FAL. The third shop was the charm. There I found a S&W Model 66, no dash, 2&1/2" Bbl. I ran the little Smith thru the checkout: tight lockup, timing was good, hammer block safety funtioned, hammer stayed put when put thru the wobble test. Then they let me try the trigger - and what a trigger it was - light and crisp in DA and SA. This M66 had obviously had the action tuned up and was done right. I'd found a good piece to trade toward and showed the store owner what I wanted to trade in. He offered me the M66 and $25 toward a holster in exchange for my FAL. I agreed and we did the paperwork. I couldn't find a holster there for the S&W so he gave a $20 set of Hogues for my Hi-Power instead, at my request. Just as I was getting ready to leave with my new wheel gun he handed me a box of ammo. Given, it was aluminium cased Blazer, but it was his way of thanking me for waiting while he appraised part of a small collection that he was buying. I appreciated the gesture which gave me fifty rounds to run thru the new "Stainless Combat Magnum." It's a sweet shooting wheelie and I'm glad I made the trade for it.

Here are a couple pics:

41262 41263

If you enjoyed reading about "Some horse trading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xx78
June 18, 2006, 11:16 AM
Thats a sharp looking Smith. I just picked up a 4" 66-3 and must say they are sweet shooting.

XavierBreath
June 18, 2006, 12:52 PM
You done good! Real good!

ewb45acp
June 18, 2006, 01:01 PM
Just last week I traded an FAL for a pair of S&W revolvers. Must be something in the water...

ugaarguy
June 19, 2006, 12:58 AM
I added a set of Hogue Monogrips today, but I'd like to get Magnas with a T-grip or the old Pachmayr grip gapper. Does anyone know of good sources on the Magnas or the old grip gappers? Any help is much appreciated.

XavierBreath
June 19, 2006, 07:50 AM
Tyler T Grips (http://www.t-grips.com/) for the grip adapter.

Magnas can be found on ebay. I'm not certain, but I believe yours would wear the non-diamond type, which should rununder $20.

ugaarguy
June 19, 2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info on the Magnas Xavier. I may have to go with the T Grip, but I would prefer the smooth, no finger grip bump, face of the old Pachmayr gapper. I guess e-bay is also the place to look for those?

XavierBreath
June 19, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yep, I've found the Pachmayr type on ebay.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some horse trading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!