The Highroad Gun Buy Back!

PDA

Punkermonkey
June 18, 2006, 01:22 PM
I have an idea. Why not have a gun buy back for THR? No, not our guns. All we need is an FFL in each region. Each Highroad participant pays X dollars for the buy in plus the transfer fees.

We advertise in each community as some "Do-Gooder" organization trying to get guns off the streets. We set up a collection point with the FFL present and have the owners fill out the appropriate paperwork. In exchange we give them tickets to a Baseball game or some other prize. When it's all done, we redistribute the guns to the THR participants!

It sounds horribly deceptive, I know but if these people are just going to give their guns away any way at least we can keep them from being destroyed.

Or is this something I could go to hell for?:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "The Highroad Gun Buy Back!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sven
June 18, 2006, 01:42 PM
Sounds good to me, especially those here in CA who are giving away "off list" handguns we can't import anymore.... we should strive to keep em in CA. :)

Shweboner
June 18, 2006, 01:44 PM
The problem with that is that no one ever turns anything worthwhile in.

You'd end up with a bunch of broken crap that people dont know how to get rid of, or maybe you'd get a BBgun or two.

leadcounsel
June 18, 2006, 01:48 PM
I have an idea. Why not have a gun buy back for THR? No, not our guns. All we need is an FFL in each region. Each Highroad participant pays X dollars for the buy in plus the transfer fees.

We advertise in each community as some "Do-Gooder" organization trying to get guns off the streets. We set up a collection point with the FFL present and have the owners fill out the appropriate paperwork. In exchange we give them tickets to a Baseball game or some other prize. When it's all done, we redistribute the guns to the THR participants!

It sounds horribly deceptive, I know but if these people are just going to give their guns away any way at least we can keep them from being destroyed.

While it is a shame that the gun buy backs destroy guns all in the foolish idea of safety, as you noted it is dishonest to advertise as a buyback to get the guns off the streets, only to redistribute them to private owners who can do whatever they want with them.

I think the bad publicity from the dishonestly would also do a large disservice to the gun community...

And there are other logistical problems... only the authorities can offer "amnesty." I don't know how that is handled if a gun turns out to be a murder weapon or stolen or the serial number removed... however they are better situated to handle it.

And realistically, does anyone ever turn in nice $300+ guns for baseball tickets? I think more realistically only undesireable guns get turned in, such as junk guns (intertec 9), irretrievably broken guns, or stolen guns that belong to the insurance companies (or maybe the occassional owner that didn't make an insurance claim).

I would think that people with truly valuable guns tend to know this or have them appraised and then sell them privately or to a gun shop.

It is an interesting idea and maybe it could work with some fine tuning... but it might just as likely be a big waste of time because nothing of value will turn up.

mrmeval
June 18, 2006, 01:57 PM
Whenever there is a local gun buyback all the gun stores would have to do is advertise a free 'value and safety assessment' of the firearm. And make it strict that there is no offer to buy it's just to let them know what it may be worth. If it's worth more to the dealer than the buyback, tell them that after they think it over to bring it on back for an exchange. I'm looking at presenting an honest image that's why the delay, it would look greedy without it.

The FFL gets people in their store, they get to present a good image.

hillbilly
June 18, 2006, 03:03 PM
I really don't want a bunch of scratched up, beaten up, stolen Jennings .380s and Lorcins and Raven .25s or old beat up single-shot shotguns.

That's what you'll get in about 90% of the gun buy-backs.

hillbilly

mrmeval
June 18, 2006, 04:15 PM
Well they were offering 200 dollars at one turn-in and I assume you can determine the value which is the point. So just tell them they're making a fair offer to buy their gun.
If you ended up with a pile of 'em they must have been giving away free tours of the capitol or something. :neener:

Stickjockey
June 18, 2006, 07:20 PM
Love to help out, but the last thing I need in my safe right now is 37 trashed-out Bryco .380's.

mrmeval
June 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
Well I assume that my post wasn't read fully. You don't have to buy it, the idea is to convince the people not to sell the better guns. Sheesh.

gazpacho
June 19, 2006, 01:13 AM
Next time you're calling up J&G Sales, ask them how many Lorcins, Jennings and Brycos they have in stock. Then ask them where they got them.

Honestly, every time I walk into their showroom, I think I've wandered into a cheap pimp nightmare.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Highroad Gun Buy Back!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!