Uberti SA Question

PDA

The Dutchman
June 18, 2006, 06:50 PM
I just purchased an Uberti SA Cattleman, I also just found out that Uberti has had some quality control issues....is there anything I should look out for or replace on the gun because its poor quality?

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti SA Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
June 18, 2006, 07:13 PM
Who told you there were QC problems with Uberti, and what exactly did they say those problems were?

I own several Uberti rifles and handguns. They are all top quality. I have had no problems with any of them.

My Uberti Cattleman shoots better than either of my Colt SAA's do.

I suspect you got trash info from some idiot that doesnt know much about Uberti. There are plenty of those out there who will trash Uberti because it is not a Colt. I own both Colt's and Uberti's and am willing to say that there really isnt much difference in quality, and in some cases the Ubertis are better.

I have never had to replace anything on any of them, until this week, when I lost the cylinder pin on my Cattleman in tall weeds while shooting. That was of course my fault.

VPJack
June 19, 2006, 02:18 AM
I have a pair of Uberti's that see a good bit of use in cowboy shooting. They are reliable and accurate. I've had no problems at all with them, and we are generally not known to be real gentle with our guns.

Jack

SASS#23149
June 19, 2006, 02:23 AM
My Uberti six gun is at least 12 years old and shoots where I aim every time,no problems at all.
heck,even Rugers run into qc problems.Thay had to 'fix' many many of the new Vaqueros when first released.

Onmilo
June 19, 2006, 09:53 AM
Most quality issues with Uberti products involve fitting problems or incorrectly heat treated parts and the lever actions seem to suffer more than the handguns.

The one part I personally recommend you change on an Uberti made revolver is the cylinder bolt/trigger spring.
That is the U shaped, two prong spring that you see in the frame recess when you take the grip straps off.
You can buy a genuine Colt spring for about eight bucks and they are way better than the Uberti made spring.
This spring is the most commonly broken part on Uberti replica guns that I have worked on.
The most commonly lost part is the cylinder pin retaining screw on old model SAA replicas.

The Dutchman
June 21, 2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the responses! I feel much more confident about the pistol now. My last question is that the firing pin wiggles a little bit.....is this normal for a SAA? Thanks again

Sean

SASS#23149
June 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
Yes,that is normal for that type of shooter.
If you feel confident tearing down your shooter,the area on the hammer..the cam...where the bolt fingers ride is a good place to keep grreased up .The cam or the fingers will wear there eventually,and the later that happens the better.It will throw off the 'timing' of the bolt/cylinder lockup.

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti SA Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!