Can I get a CCW permit in a state that is not my own?

PDA

zahc
June 20, 2006, 12:44 PM
I'm spending the summer in Bozeman, MT, but I (unfortunately) live in OH. I don't have an OH CCW permit because I was 20 years and 362 days old when I left. Now that I'm in montana I'd like to get a CCW permit so that I can be indifferent to my state of concealment when hiking or fishing. Packing.orf lists these as the required documents:

* Photocopy of a Firearm safety Course Certificate. (Hunter Safety, NRA safety Course Etc).
* State Drivers License or State Photo ID.
* Picture of Applicant.

I don't have any MT documents, so does this mean that I can't get a MT CCW permit?

Also, I found this on packing.org:

From various reports, concealed carry is allowed outside of organized cities, towns, railroad camps, logging camps, etc.

Do they mean concealed carry without a permission slip? Since I only really plan on carrying while in the woods, would I be home free?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I get a CCW permit in a state that is not my own?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snake Eyes
June 20, 2006, 12:49 PM
You can often get a permit in a state other than the one you reside in. I hold Washington, Nevada and New Hampshire permits, as well as my resident permit in AZ.

I might suggest you ask these questions back at Packing.org--you're much more likely to get specific, knowledgable help. I also seem to recall a little box on each state page, in the upper right, that states whether that state issues permits to non-residents.

Thefabulousfink
June 20, 2006, 12:49 PM
IIRC, open carry is legal in MT (check with a local LEO first). If your going to be out in the woods, just strap on your hogleg and go.

Pilgrim
June 20, 2006, 12:51 PM
It appears from Packing.org that Montana does not issue CCWs to non-residents.

You might consider getting a Florida non-resident CCW. However, summer will probably be over by the time you receive your Florida CCW.

Pilgrim

RNB65
June 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
Call the state police and ask them. They can tell you what the state laws are on CCW requests.

Henry Bowman
June 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
Packing.org says that Montana does not issue non-resident permits. So, you can't get one from there if you are still an OH resident. You might consider getting a non-resident permit from a state MT recognizes (if any). As you know, you have to apply in person in OH. If you change your residence to MT (get a new DL there), then you will probably have to change back in the fall when you come back here. Probably not worth the trouble and time.

zahc
June 20, 2006, 01:00 PM
I heard you on the open carry. However I go hiking with a lot of people from my place of work/school, who may or may not be hoplophobic, but I guess they'd just have to get over it.

Plus, I found this under Exceptions:

(i) a person who is outside the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining, or railroad camp or who is lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking, backpacking, farming, ranching, or other outdoor activity in which weapons are often carried for recreation or protection; or
(j) the carrying of arms on one's own premises or at one's home or place of business.
(emphasis mine)

I LOVE this state. I'm so moving here. Why did my family ever settle in OH?

TallPine
June 20, 2006, 04:57 PM
Do they mean concealed carry without a permission slip? Since I only really plan on carrying while in the woods, would I be home free?

Looks like you answered your own question before I got here ...;) Yes, you can carry concealed pretty much anywhere outside incorporated city limits without a permit (IOW, about 98% of the state).

Open carry is legal everywhere (except schools, courthouses, etc) but you might get hassled for it. Nobody has ever bothered me while buying gas, etc - one of these days when(if) I'm not in a big hurry to just get something and leave town, I'm going to try it at Walmart.

As I read the law, theoretically you would be legal to carry concealed without a permit while hiking, etc in a city park - since the key word in the law is or as you have already noted.

Still seems silly to have laws regulating whether or not your shirt is tucked in :rolleyes:

venom600
June 21, 2006, 07:30 PM
Welcome to Bozeman, :D. Outside of town, nobody will bug you about open carry. In town, you might get a few sideways looks, though. YMMV. I got a CCW to avoid the extra attention.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I get a CCW permit in a state that is not my own?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!