Help identifying guns

PDA

mcaten
June 20, 2006, 01:09 PM
My dad passed away and left us with 5 firearms which we know nothing about except that they look old. What is the best way to find out (1) if they are antigue guns (2) what the value of the guns are (3) and where to sell them? I have photos of the guns but not sure if we can post pictures in the forums. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! -mcaten

If you enjoyed reading about "Help identifying guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cuervo
June 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
Look old as in flint lock or percussion cap, or just not modern?

Look for a manufacturer's name (and a model number there is one) and do a search for it on either:
gunbroker.com
auctionarms.com
gunsamerica.com

As for posting pictures, the best way is to open a free account on something like photobucket.com and then provide image links when posting a message.

Hutch
June 20, 2006, 01:56 PM
You might also try putting in the Firearms Research forum on this board.

Snake Eyes
June 20, 2006, 02:03 PM
How to post pictures here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=57796

Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearm Research (on this forum): http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Further, head to your local gunstore's book section and check out the many pictorial catalogs of all firearms ever made, such as the Standard Catalog of Firearms, published annually by Krause Press.

Welcome to THR!

(BTW--Forum menus and search functions are your friends!)

Zen21Tao
June 20, 2006, 02:09 PM
Yes you can upload photos and you should find someone able to help you identify them.

Also, you might vistit a book store with some pictures of the guns and look in the Antigues/Hobbies/Firearms section. You should be able to find a price guide there that will give you the value of the firearms based on brand, model, serial number, markings, condition, etc.

*Looks like Snake Eyes beat me to my helpful suggestion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help identifying guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!