Princeton Tec flashlights

PDA

Lone Star
January 4, 2003, 09:37 AM
About as powerful as a police style flashlight in the Tec 40 model (about the size of a binocular barrel, if room prism), is a wonderful general use flashlight. Their Rage is a slim, potent model that'll fit handily in many jacket pockets, but which just flat out eclipses the 2 AA cell MagLite with its four AAA batteries. Many other useful models.

These Princeton Tecs do use rotating heads for the on/off feature, which makes them awkward to employ if your other hand is holding a gun, but I've found it's seldom a real problem. Neat stuff for the backpacker, the homeowner or general use. Thought someone should mention them here.

Lone Star

If you enjoyed reading about "Princeton Tec flashlights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SteelyDan
January 6, 2003, 03:36 AM
Until recently, I thought MagLites were about as good as it gets. Wrong. Turns out there is a whole world of flashlights out there I didn't even know about.

The Princeton Tecs are definitely a step up from the Mags. The 40 is a great pocket light (about the size of a Mini-Mag but with a light output between a 2D and 3D Mag). The Surge will blow away anything up to and maybe including a 5D Mag, in a much, much smaller package. Besides Princeton Tec, there are at least half-a-dozen other brands that are equally good or better (though PT delivers perhaps the most bang for the buck).

If you're interested in learning about all the cool stuff out there, I highly recommend:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com

These folks use tons of jargon and abbreviations, so it's a little intimidating at first, but there's a lot of good info there. And next time your buddy pulls out his or her 3D MagLite, try to be humble when your cigar-sized flashlight leaves it in the dust.:)

QKRTHNU
January 7, 2003, 02:28 PM
I've got a couple TEC 40's. I love them. Cheap, bright and durable. They run on cheap easy to find AA batteries. Replacement bulbs are also cheap and easy to find.

You can try out different bulbs to get an even brighter light. Switch to rechargeable NIMH AAs in order to have the available current to use some of the brighter bulbs. I haven't tried this yet but supposedly you can make it brighter than SureFire 6P/Streamlight Scorpion by doing this.

Stick some Lithium AA batteries in it and you can throw it in the car in case of emergency & the batteries will have a shelf life of 10 years.

Kevlarman
January 7, 2003, 06:00 PM
I love my Tec 40! On Sunday night, high winds bent a power pole in my neighborhood. We had a blackout for almost 4 hours, in the middle of the night! People were roaming around the streets with their puny MagLites looking for the problem. Out of the apartment comes me with my overdriven Tec 40, lighting up the night!

It was a sight to see. :D

For those of you interested, my Tec 40 is outfitted with a KPR103 Krypton bulb, which is really meant for 3-cell flashlights. Since the Tec 40 uses 4 cells, the bulb is overdriven and produces a brighter, hotter beam (brighter than my Scorpion!). Of course, this means less runtime and a susceptibility to bulb blow out, but the beam is worth it! I carry spare lightbulbs anyway.

The Surge has a very bright beam also, and in a smaller package than a MagLite!

SteelyDan
January 8, 2003, 03:09 AM
Not only do the lithium batteries have a longer shelf life (though the alkalines are catching up), but they also work much better than alkalines when it starts getting close to or below freezing.

gbelleh
January 16, 2003, 12:52 AM
Just got a couple Princeton Tec flashlights today. A Tec-40 and a Rage. They are nice little lights. Very bright for their size!

I was surprised that the Rage is almost as bright as the Tec 40, even though it's almost half its size.

I may have to try one of those 3-cell Krypton bulbs in the Tec 40.

Lone Star
January 16, 2003, 07:51 AM
Before using incorrect bulbs for a Princeton Tec item, better check with the company; it may void the warranty or damage the flashlight. But the post here doesn't seem to infer that there has been any problem, at least not with HIS particular Tec 40.

I find the Rage to be a bit brighter in the center, but the Tec 40 seems to give more overall brightness. Either will really reach out on a dark night. I have had to change batteries once in the Rage; the Tec 40 battery life is rated longer. However, the Rage batteries lasted longer than did batteries in my Mag-Lites.

For what it's worth, the Impulse LED unit WILL reflect off the tapetum lucidum in the eyes of animals, making them glow in the dark, as will, of course, conventional flashlights. I've spotted a couple of raccoons and an oppossum that way.

Lone Star

gbelleh
January 16, 2003, 09:24 AM
I'm sure putting a different bulb in will void the warranty, but if I break it, I'll just buy another Tec 40 for $14.00.

I do have a question about the Rage: There is a little black object inside the reflector assembly that rattles around in there. Is that normal or is it broken??

Lone Star
January 16, 2003, 04:26 PM
gbellah-

I know what you mean. I don't know what it is, but I have two Rages, and both have that rattle. I guess it's normal...

Lone Star

Kevlarman
January 16, 2003, 05:34 PM
Don't worry about the bulb. The Tec 40 has a PR bulb base, which means it can take a plethora of bulbs out there. Experiment a little. The worst yuo can do is blow the bulb, and it's easily replaced.

Actually, I lied. The worst you can do is use too bright of a bulb and melt a bit of the reflector and lens. :rolleyes:
On that note, as long as you don't leave your light on for hours at a time, you'll have no problem.

gbelleh
January 16, 2003, 07:24 PM
I e-mailed Princeton Tec this morning about the rattling object.

They e-mailed me back within 3 minutes! :what:

Here's the e-mail:
--------------------------------
The sound you hear is a catalyst that is built into the reflector. The purpose of this is to absorb the hydrogen gas emitted by the batteries... so, it is supposed to be there. If you have any other questions or comments, please get back to me.

Thanks,
--------------------------------

So, I guess the catalyst is supposed to rattle around in there.
I'm impressed with their customer service!

Blackhawk
January 16, 2003, 09:06 PM
Very interesting info!

Here's their website: http://www.princetontec.com/entry.html

Guyon
January 24, 2003, 02:44 AM
I just got a Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp and don't know how I got by without it before.

Fantastic for hunters. Allows me to have both hands free for carrying in a gun and for climbing in my treestand in the dark. Has several settings for brightness.

Highly recommended.

As for handheld lights, I like my Surefire and Scorpions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Princeton Tec flashlights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!