newbie question: is XD .45 acp same or better than glock?

PDA

yy
June 20, 2006, 02:32 PM
Superficially the SA XD series look like glocks to me. I see they look plastic. I see the trigger safety(?). But I got my glock because I thought the XD cost more.

So are the XD better than glocks, or am I comparing apples and oranges?

If you enjoyed reading about "newbie question: is XD .45 acp same or better than glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frandy
June 20, 2006, 02:43 PM
Well, more like Valencias to Navels. Both are sweet and both are loved or reviled by many.

I no longer own either, but when I did, I preferred the XD for two reasons, the grip angle and my preference for the grip safety on the XD. There are other differences that THR members are going to point out.

Oh, and when I did own them they were each accurate, dependable, and sexy-ugly. :evil:

yy
June 20, 2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks to Frandy for your response.

I'm satisfied that the XD isn't _just_ a knockoff of Glock. Perhaps even better both in ergonomics and price.

So I'd like to ask first the follow up question to the folks who fired both an XD .45 and a G 45 gap: what difference is there in the handling?

Then this second question who fired XD .45 and 1911: how close has the XD 45 come to be the successor of the 1911?

das028
June 20, 2006, 03:24 PM
First of all, let me say that although this is my first post in this forum, I am not a newbie when it come to firearms.

Anyway when comparing a glock to an xd, there a some things you have to take into consideration.

One is that glock is a tried and true design. It has been proven in the field time and time again, he xd is a relativley new pistol. So consider that.

Another is the finish on the xd. I have heard, and I repeat HEARD, that the finish is not as durable. They tend to rust easily. Glocks do not.

But to say one pistol is better than another, is a personal preference. You really cant go wrong with choosing any big name in firearms. Sig, S&W, Ruger, H&K, etc.......

Now my person a opinion is that glocks are probably the best all around pistol money can buy. And if I had to choose one gun it would a glock in 9mm. Specifically a G19.

Phantom Warrior
June 20, 2006, 03:32 PM
I have a couple Glocks and have shot my friend's XDs. I would rate them both as excellent handguns. I'm more comfortable with Glocks, personally, but I see no reason you should avoid XDs. Go with whichever one fits you better.

Demiurge
June 20, 2006, 03:38 PM
It was easy for me to choose an XD over a Glock.

choochboost
June 20, 2006, 03:40 PM
I prefer the feel and grip angle on the XD but prefer the trigger on the Glock. The reset on the XD is too long.

Ala Dan
June 20, 2006, 03:40 PM
The Springfields finish problems have been addressed and hopefully
corrected, with the introduction of the new Melonite finish on the
XD-.45 ACP from Springfield Armory~! It is suppose to be much like
the Tennifer Process used on Glock's.:cool: :D

Edited to add: I own only one polymer frame pistol, and guess what
it is,- Give up~? Of course, its the Springfield .45 ACP X-treme Duty
4" service model~!

Would I take a Glock if someone gave me one? You bet, and I would
sure be proud of it~! Good weapon, and its been around a long time.

XDKingslayer
June 20, 2006, 03:48 PM
I can see some people need to get caught up on XD info.

Just because the Glock has been around longer than the XD doesn't make it any better. The XD has passed the same reliability tests and even harder tests than the Glock, if that means anything. They both have about the same reliability.

The new XD .45 ACP has a new coating that is completely different than the older XDs. The new melonite finish is essentially the same thing as the Glock tennifer finish, and it's more of a treatment than a finish. Finish problems are gone with the new XD and hopefully Springfield will trickle it down to the older models.

If you want to compare the two it usually comes down to price and comfort. As far as price goes I have yet to see a NIB Glock priced less than a NIB XD of the same size and caliber.

The only thing you can really compare them mechanics wise is that some models of Glock do not have fully supported barrels and all XDs do. And the grip safety, but some like it, some don't.

yy,

I have fired the XD .45 ACP, a 1911, and I own a XD .45 GAP. Comparing the GAP and ACP is impossible in my eyes. I couldn't tell the difference once I put my stock guide rod and spring back in. It felt like I was shooting the same weapon. I couldn't notice any recoil difference, slide action difference, anything. I may be a bad person to do the comparison as after about 50 rounds through anything begining with a 4 my hands start to go numb from carpal tunnel.

As far as comparing the new XD with a 1911, it's pretty much pointless. In my opinion the XD is hands down a better firearm, but you'll have the hard-core 1911 guys that will never agree with that. I think the XD shoots better, runs better, holds more rounds, and is more comfortable out of the box than any bottom end 1911 like a Springer GI. Sure you could go to a more expensive 1911 that will perform as well, but then you're comparing an $800 firearm to a $500 firearm and that just isn't fair in my book.

das028
June 20, 2006, 03:53 PM
"Just because the Glock has been around longer than the XD doesn't make it any better. The XD has passed the same reliability tests and even harder tests than the Glock, if that means anything. They both have about the same reliability."

XDKingslayer,

Do you have a link or something that proves this

RNB65
June 20, 2006, 03:55 PM
I've shot XD's extensively in both .40 and 9mm. I've shot Glocks enough to know that I much prefer the XD. XD's fit my hand and Glocks do not. I also find the SA trigger pull on the XD much easier to shoot accurately than the DA trigger on the Glock. Finally, I've read enough about accidental discharges with Glocks to appreciate the grip safety on the XD. Both are superb home defense handguns.

das028
June 20, 2006, 04:00 PM
I dont think the xd'x are single action.

Glocks arent a true double action either

Euclidean
June 20, 2006, 04:16 PM
The XD pistols are in fact, single action pistols. However, out of the box at least, I do not think that either them or Glock have a "better" trigger, different, maybe, but not "better".

In response to the original question, I prefer the XD myself for reasons already mentioned. The Glock is just as good though, just depends on which one you prefer.

"Just because the Glock has been around longer than the XD doesn't make it any better. The XD has passed the same reliability tests and even harder tests than the Glock, if that means anything. They both have about the same reliability."

XDKingslayer,

Do you have a link or something that proves this

I would agree with the statement the Glock and the XD have about the same reliability. I currently have 4 XD's and they all run just fine out of the box, just like 4 typical Glocks will.

I don't remember the specific rag or issue, but there's been at least one and I think two 20,000 round torture tests of the XD series. I remember in one case the XD was submerged in a bucket of mud for a couple of days, cleaned up with a garden hose, and then fired 1000 rounds without fail. Good enough for me.

I really don't get where people have this idea the XD is new and unproven. It's just the HS2000 being imported by somebody who knows how to market and sell it. It's been around longer than W has been president and I've never heard of a reliability issue with the platform since its inception.

You could argue it's got a better track record for sheer reliability than .40 S&W caliber pistols from at least two other makers whom I shall not name, and the vast majority of them run like a top of the box, and I can't say that for a certain beloved shooting platform which shall also remain nameless.

Tim Burke
June 20, 2006, 04:26 PM
I like the XD 45 better than the Glock 21.
Shoot both, and then you'll know which you prefer.

nitesite
June 20, 2006, 05:22 PM
What's wrong with owning both brands?

I do. And I like both of them, though the Glock is a compact 10mm (not a full-size .45).

Shot both the XD45 and several Glocks and decided it was time to have some myself.

I think that between the XD45 and the G21 there is no comparison. The SA XD wins hands down.

Lennyjoe
June 20, 2006, 06:08 PM
The grip feels slimmer on the XD-45 over the G30.

Other than that, the Glock has a better trigger. That's my take anyway.

Newton
June 20, 2006, 06:18 PM
The XD has a slimmer grip that is much less blocky, the grip angle is also superior to a Glock.

The grip safety gives me much more comfort than the plain Glock style trigger alone. For me the XD is also more reliable, the Glocks I have shot were all susceptible to limp wristing, not so the XD.

With the improved grip, the grip safety, improved reliability and loaded chamber indicator, the XD is basically an evolved Glock.

So yes, it's a better weapon. The new XD45 Service (4" bbl) especially.

Just my 2 cents though, some will always prefer Glock. Ultimately I think it's what you're used to.

AndyC
June 20, 2006, 07:21 PM
I must be getting old - never thought I'd one day be watching from the sidelines at guys debating which of 2 plastic pistols are more reliable and proven than the other :D

distra
June 20, 2006, 07:53 PM
I prefer single action 1911's and my XD's to a Glock. I can shoot these two better than I can a Glock. So is an XD better than a Glock, in my hands it is, in your hands, maybe. One pistol doesn't fit all hands and shooters. I think they are reliable pistols and both have a proven this. As stated before, the XD is really the HS2000 imported by Springer. Springer has the marketing thing down, combine that with a pistol that's a joy to shoot and you have a winner. As for single action/double action, the XD is single action. A Glock has the striker partially charged and the trigger pull actually completes charging the striker and then releases it. Which is safer? Neither in the hands of a someone not practicing safe handling. The grip safety on XD has not caused any issues with me, of course I'm used to 1911's so it's no big deal. Shoot them both and decide which one fits best. Glock does have great aftermarket support, but in time the XD will catch up.

jman74
June 20, 2006, 08:10 PM
I haven't owned my XD long enought to really say I like it as much or better than my 1911's, but aftering only shooting it a few times...I just might. The gun is awsome. I'm not a huge fan of Glocks so I can't really say if they're better or worse. Just don't like the Glock's.

kansas45
June 20, 2006, 08:12 PM
I have shot some Glock's & felt O.K. with them but I like the feel of my XD's much better. To each his own!

ugaarguy
June 20, 2006, 08:36 PM
The XD gets the same number of rounds into a smaller grip frame, then you add in the new finish, better ergonomics, and better trigger. I think the XD is the best Hi-Cap plastic 45 ACP value on the market.

grimjaw
June 20, 2006, 09:04 PM
The grip feels slimmer on the XD-45 over the G30.

If you ask me, the grip on the XD 45ACP feels slimmer than a Glock 19, a compact 9x19.

I haven't fired the XD 45ACP, but I'm itchin' to.

jmm

Tazz10m
June 20, 2006, 09:19 PM
For me the Glock is a better gun. Plus, i have a 10mm preference and the XD doesn't come in 10mm...so... Glock it is!

Gary G23
June 20, 2006, 10:31 PM
I have owned both and much prefer the XD.

Sir Aardvark
June 21, 2006, 12:30 AM
The XD fits my hand like a glove, while the Glocks are not really that comfortable to hold.

Also, the Glock requires exquisite trigger discipline to avoid a negligent discharge, while the XD has a little more to offer with its grip safety - this is something to consider for CCW purposes.

Kind of as a side note - the Glock 30 is an excellent pistol; I do not really like Glocks, but the Model 30 sets the standard in subcompact firepower - it is hard to argue with something that is about the size of my hand that holds 10 rounds of .45ACP, and... it is comfortable to hold too, unlike its full-size brethren.

So... I find that I prefer the XD over Glock due to the fact that I find them more comfortable to shoot and that the safety features of the XD offer more protection than the safety features of the Glock.

Tazz10m
June 21, 2006, 02:41 AM
Quote by Sir Aardvark: Kind of as a side note - the Glock 30 is an excellent pistol; I do not really like Glocks, but the Model 30 sets the standard in subcompact firepower - it is hard to argue with something that is about the size of my hand that holds 10 rounds of .45ACP, and... it is comfortable to hold too, unlike its full-size brethren.

Not try to talk you out of the XD as it really is a good gun, but try the Glock 29 sometime. Same size as the G30 and even more powerful. Really fun.

das028
June 21, 2006, 08:24 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Some of you guys got me really interested in these xd's now. Any of you have any experience with the .40 cal models? Specifically the tactical 5 incher?

Demiurge
June 21, 2006, 09:13 AM
I've got the .45 ACP in Tactical 5" and it's one hell of a fine firearm. If you've never owned a Glock before, handle both the XD and Glock in the store and see how they feel. I still think the XD performs better, but I would get what feels best for you. Both are fine pistols. :)

das028
June 21, 2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks man.

I actually already own a glock. But the more and more I read about these xd's the more I like them.

nitesite
June 21, 2006, 10:50 AM
Not try to talk you out of the XD as it really is a good gun, but try the Glock 29 sometime. Same size as the G30 and even more powerful. Really fun.

You are so right, Tazz10m.

I prefer the XD45 more, but really like the G29. It's amazing the power available in such an easily-controlled pistol.

Still, when clothing allows I'll take my 4" XD45 every time!

Tazz10m
June 21, 2006, 11:42 AM
I must say this about the XD... and i've said it before... not here on this site, but elsewhere, and i'll say it again here... Glock really has some competition with the Springfield XD. People really love the XD. I talk to a lot of people on the phone who say it, and i sell a hell of a lot of AGrip's for it. I can always tell which guns are being favored and so are selling the best at a given time period... all i have to do is look and see which model AGrip's are selling the best and the rate they are selling. By reading this thread it is also very obvious that people really love the XD. If they made one in 10mm i would buy one.

Newton
June 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
XD45 is where it's at, especially the 4 inch service model - it seems to have better balance than the 5 inch, plus it's much more CCW friendly.

.45 Cal
June 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
Not the .45 versions, but I had the pleasure of firing both XD and Glock 19last weekend. First the 19, which I liked very much and also seemed to appeal to my sense of design. Then the XD, which I liked even better, mainly, as many have said, because it fits better in my hand. I also like the two-tone and OD green versions.

XDKingslayer
June 21, 2006, 12:47 PM
das028, the article about the XD torture test is here: http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

It's the 20,000 round test where it was frozen in ice, run over by a truck, dropped down a mountain and other things. I don't know how much weight you put into those tests, but there it is...

Granted this test was done on the 9mm XD, but the new .45 has few, if any, changes over the older ones.

Tazz10m
June 21, 2006, 01:29 PM
XDKingslayer, you asked me a question in a PM, but i can't get the reply i wrote back to you to function... it keeps saying "Document contained no data, try again later..." so i hope you don't mind if i respond here.

Do your green A-Grips closely match the OD Green XDs?

Yes, they go very well together. Thanks for asking.

dairycreek
June 21, 2006, 02:37 PM
So are the XD better than glocks, or am I comparing apples and oranges?

Your question leads to a lot of personal opinion and, because you asked, here's another one. I have owned a series of Glocks over the years and currently own two XD's - a 45 and a 9SC. In the last few months I have put several hundreds of rounds through both of them and both have functioned perfectly - not a single problem of any kind. Let me hasten to add that my Glocks have all experienced the same kind of flawless behavior. Both guns are very, very good.

Now the BUT. The XD's have a true single action trigger and it IMHO tends to be much crisper than that of the Glock whose trigger system is a combination of single and double action and, once again, IMHO tends to be somewhat more spongy than that of the XD. A simple trigger job on the XD can result in a "near 1911" kind of trigger let off and that's definitely a good thing.

In addition to the trigger safety system the XD also has a grip safety which I consider a tremendous asset in terms of safety and my personal peace of mind.

For me, the grip is really what separates the two. I find the XD's grip to be so much more ergonomic than that of the Glock that it just makes the complete difference to me. XD is surely my favorite! Better than the Glock? For me the answer is a resounding YES!:eek:

RNB65
June 21, 2006, 03:06 PM
Ultimately the answer to the OP's question is --

1. Study both guns until you have a good understanding how they are alike and how they are different. Both guns have excellent discussion forums where you can learn much --

http://www.glocktalk.com/
http://www.xdtalk.com/

2. Handle both guns (and shoot both if possible) to see which feels better in your hand.

3. Select the one you like better.

4. Enjoy!

'Card
June 21, 2006, 03:34 PM
I've owned a Glock 21 for a few years. I've owned a 5" tactical XD-45ACP for a few months. I'm not really a collector - I tend to sell a gun if I'm not using it, and right now the Glock is getting pretty close to going on the market.

It's not that the Glock is a bad gun at all. It's truly an excellent pistol. For the most part, it's pretty comparable to the XD. It's just that I'm more accurate with the XD. I'm not saying the XD is more accurate, mind you. I'm saying I'm more accurate with it. Both shoot better than I do, but the grip angle and ergonomics of the XD make me a better shooter.

So the XD has a grip angle that I really like. It also has 'loaded chamber' and 'cocked' indicators (little buttons that pop up, so you can even feel them in the dark) that the Glock doesn't have. The XD has a grip safety, which I like. Pretty much the only edge the Glock had left was the Tennifer treatment, but with the Melonite (which is exactly the same process as Tennifer, with a different tradename for licensing reasons) treatment on the XD, that one is a wash now.

Point being that I can't think of a single purpose for my Glock that my XD wouldn't do as well or better.

30 cal slob
June 21, 2006, 04:31 PM
I'm a Glock owner, but have had the chance to shoot an XD or two (.40 shortnweak :neener: and .45 ACP).

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the XD shot and the ergonomics.

Truth be told, I'd be indifferent to either one given a choice.

XDKingslayer
June 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
Tazz your PMs came through just fine. All 6 of them. :D

And I am starting to see a trend with the whole Glock/XD battle. I'm seeing more and more Glock owners starting to see the XD in a better light. Either as superiour firearms or as helping lower the costs of their Glocks.

ugaarguy
June 21, 2006, 04:37 PM
There has been much said of the triggers in question on the two weapons and I feel it needs clarification. Neither weapon has a true double action nor single action trigger. In both weapons the striker is partially pre-cocked and pulling the trigger moves the connector back which finishes cocking, and then releases the striker. The difference is the degree to which each striker is pre-cocked. Most estimates put the Glock at around 60% pre-cocked while the XDs are in the 95-98% range; I will agree that XD is so far pre-cocked that it essentially is firing single action. The result is that the Glock feels more like a traditional double action and the XD feels more like a single action (and it is essentially single action). The reality is that main spring and hammer terms don't fit striker fired pistols so well. Even the old terms don't fit new designs using traditional mainsprings and hammers like Para's LDA, SIG's DAK, and H&K's LEM trigger systems. All partially pre-cock the mainspring to some degree, thereby smoothing and reducing trigger pull, while still retaining most traditional DA charecteristics. Maybe we should call them all PPA - Partially Pre-cocked Action - not really SA, but not entirely DA either. ;)

Tazz10m
June 21, 2006, 04:45 PM
Quote by XDKingslayer: Tazz your PMs came through just fine. All 6 of them.

How embarrassing!

Newton
June 21, 2006, 04:54 PM
One other big advantage of going with the XD45 over the 9mm and .40 models is that it has Springfields new Melonite finish. This is similar to Glocks Tenifer finish and provides for superior resistance to corrosion and general wear on the guns metal components.

RNB65
June 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
There has been much said of the triggers in question on the two weapons and I feel it needs clarification.

Thank you for that, uhhhhh, clarification. :uhoh: :confused: :eek: :what:

:D

doofus
June 21, 2006, 05:09 PM
I posted this in the "Cooper on Glocks" thread, but it seems at least somewhat relevant here:

Glock really needs to do some innovating...

I don't necessarily think so...the same argument could be made against 1911 pattern pistols as well.

IMO, Glocks:
1. Work.
2. Use a simple design (which I tend to favor; less to break).
3. Have ergonomics that work for me.

As a tangential to this topic, I think it's odd when I read so many posts concerning "poor" ergonomics of one pistol or another. Maybe I'm just not experienced enough (I've been shooting for about 10 years), but I don't find it all that difficult to adapt to a specific pistol; there are pros and cons to any design.

Sure the Glock grip angle is more extreme than -- for example -- a 1911, but the trade off is a very low bore-axis. I don't think there are many mainstream pistols with "poor" ergonomics...it's simply a matter of what you prefer.

Valkman
June 21, 2006, 05:36 PM
I too have seen the torture test the XD went through and it will stand up to everything the Glock will. Should've saved the site, maybe they have it over at www.xdtalk.com

Grip safety - that alone makes the XD better to me seeing as I come from 1911 familiarity. Add that great grip angle and mag capacity and the XD 45 truly shines. The first time I shot my 4" model I shot it as well as my 1911's and went ahead and qualified with it for my carry permit.

Finish - there is no problem with the new finish SA is using.

There's also no problem loading the 13 round mags for the .45acp. My friend has a .40 XD and cannot load the last round in the mag but you don't even need the mag loader to get 'em all in the new mags.

yy
June 22, 2006, 04:23 PM
I apologize for my absence in the last 48 hours. Internet problems.

I thank all of you for making this thread a very intelligent and civil discussion about Glocks and SA XDs. I suspect I'm as informed as I could be without shooting both weapons and studying their manuals and patents extensively. :neener:

I think das summed up my feeling best: All this talk has got me, a glock owner for price, really interested in a XD .45. (instead of a SA GI)

Special thanks to XDkingslayer for the info.

And to ugaarguy for the short essay on triggers. You did clarify things for me.

And you're right, RNB65, there's no substitute for personal experience. Off to the range I go!

Now if there's anybody who lives close to me, has a XD45, and can loan me the pistol at a range, I'll quit being an armchair philosopher. :) (I live in Ventura County/Los Angeles County)

gogetumnow
June 23, 2006, 03:31 PM
I do not own any XD's..yet. The XD's I've handled and fired I've loved. I really want one, but, until Springfield changes their insane policy of not selling most XD parts to the public I will not buy one. I refuse to send a pistol overnight at the cost of $40 each way for some guy to spend 5 minutes replacing something like a $20 worn extractor that I could've done myself. Besides, IMO, you should have spare parts for common parts on any pistol you stake your life on.

Mark my words though, if this policy changes, I'll be in line for 2 XD's please.
One each service model in 9 and 40.

Springfield, are you listening?

American By Blood
June 23, 2006, 10:39 PM
Do all XDs in .45ACP have the new coating or were some shipped with the older coating?

If the latter, what serial numbers should I be looking for to make sure I get the new coating?

RNB65
June 23, 2006, 10:43 PM
Call or email Springfield to confirm, but I pretty sure that all the XD45's in .45ACP have the new coating.

I'm not sure about the older .45GAP models, but who cares about those? They're DOA.

hostilecrab
June 23, 2006, 11:29 PM
I have shot both the XD-45 and the Glock 21.

The range I shoot at rents both of these. When I rented them, neither had been cleaned. They were absolutely filthy !

The XD kept jamming on me every 3rd or 4th round.

The Glock never hiccupped once.

I would have to vote for the Glock.

-HCrab

johnb_az
June 24, 2006, 02:37 AM
I have Glocks and my wife has XD's. I like both. After she bought her two tone tactical .45 she said she might sell her 4 inch. I have been looking at a bigger .45 to CCW. I am currently carrying a Glock 36 or 19. I am thinking I might use her 4 inch XD .45. The only concern is the length of the grip. Before I go out and buy a expensive holster does anyone else carry the XD45 and what do you recommend for a good holster for a old fat man... :D I use inside or outside holsters depending on attire and heat.

SgtRich
June 24, 2006, 05:31 AM
<Sorry, accidentally double posted and can't delete!>

SgtRich
June 24, 2006, 05:32 AM
I carry my XD45ACP Service Model (4") daily. I really like the pistol in my CompTac C-T.A.C. IWB (the best, IMO), a Don Hume Open Top or a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. Oh, yeah...I'm an old, fat guy, too! :D

dmftoy1
June 24, 2006, 06:52 AM
I have shot both the XD-45 and the Glock 21.

The range I shoot at rents both of these. When I rented them, neither had been cleaned. They were absolutely filthy !

The XD kept jamming on me every 3rd or 4th round.

The Glock never hiccupped once.

I would have to vote for the Glock.

-HCrab

HCrab, I was wondering what kind of ammo you were shooting through the rental XD?

I absolutely love my XD, but the one thing I ran into when I first bought it, was that I thought I could just go out blasting with my light target LSWC reloads that I used for my 1911's . . . . I had exactly the same problem you describe. Increasing the speed and COL seems to have cured the problem but I'm still playing to be 100% sure. I don't find that as a fault because the XD is setup to handle "duty" ammo and not "bullseye" ammo that is as light as I can shoot and have it reliabily cycle my kimber. :)

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

cpileri
June 24, 2006, 10:12 AM
I admit, that after 3 pages i do not read all responses. So if this has been posted already i am sorry.

Right now, the glock has alot going for it in the acccessories dept, if that's your thing:

In my dreams, i want the XD45 probably the 4" (but 5" will do) with its 13+1 capacity and integral rail to add-on the following:
1. tritium sights (looks like the going favorites are the TRUGLO Tritium/Fiber Optic sights, right?- although i have used meprolight at other times and liked them just as well, so i am sure they are all fine)
***Available for both XD and Glocks***
and,
2. light/laser combo: ideally, these would be separate with the Crimson trace laserGrip and an undermounted light on the rail. But with that bevertail-type safety I wonder if a CT grip can be done?)
***No grips for the XD45, but i believe there is an integral guide-rod type- which I dont like, and of course the rail mounted combos are around. Crimson Trace makes lasergrips for the Glock, and newer glocks have a rail for lights or whatnot. Even the older glocks can be fitted with one of those add-on rails from Brownells***
and,
3. a threaded barrel for the Evolution 45 suppressor: well, that seems a tall order. I have found questions but no answers as to wether or not the 5" barrel will fit in the 4" AND allow reliable cycling. That would be the easy fix. Otherwise, I wait for an aftermarket threaded barrel. Fortunately, the Evolution has the built in Inertia-device for cycling.
***Again, the G-17 has threaded barrels available, and of course 9mm Suppressors abound***

Having 13+1 rds of 45ACP is approximately equivalent to 17rds of 9mm for the Glock-17, in my guesstimation and shooting style/skill.

In my own particular case, I am trying to build up a 'house gun' that can be used by the untrained members of the home- hence the laser etc, and indoors- hence the suppressor.

That's really the only thing holding me back from the XD45 at this time.

C-

jlbarrett
July 1, 2006, 01:53 AM
Glock Vs Springfield Armory XD-45 ACP

Here is the scoop.. I own both a Gock model 22 40 CAL and Springfield Armory XD-45 ACP. I have shot both guns considerably and can honestly say that the XD is more accurate, easier to shoot, safer to handle and just a all around beter gun. I know ill get back some arguments, but the difference in my shooting scores was 10-12% better.

The safety features in the gun are outstanding.

Sorry Glock...

DHart
July 4, 2006, 04:51 AM
I'm a little later to the polymer pistol party than a lot of you guys, I'm sure(bought a Kahr PM9 a couple of years ago, Beretta PX4 9mm last year (18 rounds of 9mm is nice!), and most recently Glock 29 - 10mm compact.). I'm not a huge Glock fan, but I absolutely LOVE my 10mm Glock 29. Based on popularity, I'm most likely going to add an XD-45 in 4" soon as well.

Eleven rounds of 10mm in the 29 is a great thing. Fourteen rounds of .45 acp in a stone reliable, comfortable handling pistol is pretty dang nice too! Glock 29 AND XD-45.... can't go wrong with that combo! When you have a hard time deciding between two desireable options, get them both if you can!

Frenchy
July 4, 2006, 05:21 AM
I prefer the balance of the service model XD-45 over the tactical.

Trigger work, feed ramp & chamber by Canyon Creek Custom (http://www.canyoncreekcustom.com/)
Sights by Dawson Precision (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/)

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8561/xd45acp0051a6hd.jpg

MTMilitiaman
July 5, 2006, 03:11 PM
I would love to see Glock come out with a Gen IV frame that has interchangeable backstraps. I have no problems with the current Gen III frame, which fits my hand almost like it was made for it. My Glock 20 points like an extension of my body and is very natural, and even the finger grooves seem to agree with my hands. I seem to be in the minority here. I think getting rid of the finger grooves and adding interchangeable backstraps would be a relatively inexpensive way for Glock to gain back some of their market.

The Glock has other advantages:

It is simpler--you could train a monkey to detail strip one. It is like playing with Legos. Any parts breakage or upgrading can be done by the user, usually for pretty cheap.

It is simpler (did I mention that?)--it doesn't have a grip safety, for example, which the record shows John Moses Browning was opposed to including on even the 1911. I simply don't feel it is necessary or even advantagous.

Bore axis--the Glock sits lower in your hand, which provides it with less torque, or leverage. The result is less muzzle flip.

Trigger--easy enough to fix if you don't agree with the stock trigger, and as mentioned, the Glock trigger has a faster reset. The result when combined with the above is that the Glock is easier to shoot in rapid, controlled strings. Granted the differences may be minor enough that most of us couldn't appreciate them without a lot of practice, but the differences are there.

Plus the XD isn't available in 10mm. Anthing but the .45s currently isn't going to have near the metal treatment/finish of the Glocks. A Glock 22 will be more corrosion resistant than even a stainless XD 40. XDs just don't float my boat right now. My dad and bro each want a .45. But even acknowledging the design is sound, I'll pass in favor of my Glocks.

buzz_knox
July 5, 2006, 03:49 PM
I've used the Glock 21 a fair amount, and only fondled the XD 45. With that disclaimer, I will state my preference for the XD. The grip feels far better, and the balance is superior. I'd prefer it without the grip safety but even with it, the XD is my personal favorite of the two. And I actually like the 21.

Sry0fcr
July 7, 2006, 11:31 AM
1. The XD is cheaper by at least $50.
2. The XD comes with more accessories. (Mag loader, holster, mag pouch, 2 hi cap mags)
3. The XD has a better grip angle and slimmer grip.
4. The XD has a better trigger pull.
5. The XD has a grip safety.
6. The XD is every bit as reliable.
7. The XD's finish has been improved, if you're still worried you can get a stainless slide.

I shot a G19 and XD Service back to back and walked out with a XD9 SC.

nitesite
July 7, 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm a little later to the polymer pistol party than a lot of you guys, I'm sure(bought a Kahr PM9 a couple of years ago, Beretta PX4 9mm last year (18 rounds of 9mm is nice!), and most recently Glock 29 - 10mm compact.). I'm not a huge Glock fan, but I absolutely LOVE my 10mm Glock 29. Based on popularity, I'm most likely going to add an XD-45 in 4" soon as well.

Eleven rounds of 10mm in the 29 is a great thing. Fourteen rounds of .45 acp in a stone reliable, comfortable handling pistol is pretty dang nice too! Glock 29 AND XD-45.... can't go wrong with that combo! When you have a hard time deciding between two desireable options, get them both if you can!

Hello, DHart~

That is exactly what I did! :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/3newguns_3web.jpg

They are both excellent sidearms with features that make either one a superb pistol.

bigcim
July 8, 2006, 12:01 AM
all i know is i been wanting one for a long time went down to the gun store last week they were sold out then i went to 4 other gun stores turns out i have to wait two months for one eta so cal

cnyankee
July 8, 2006, 12:30 AM
rented a coupe gocks and xd45acp and after playing with them i instantly bought the xd 3 weeks ago....it is an accurate gun and love it but my S&w 686+ is still my favorite handgun (its my first gun and the one im most accurate with at this time) 1st gun is like 1st car.

S&W620
July 8, 2006, 03:27 AM
Glock or XD? Are you sure you want a .45 over a 9mm? Or a plasic pistol over a 1911? Is it just me or have I see this before? Well I had to give you a little grief over starting this neverending thread right? I own a Glock, but I would also love an XD. They are both fine guns and either would serve you wonderfully. One is not definatively better than another, simply a difference of opinion. And, as they say, opinions are like.....

S&W620
July 8, 2006, 03:47 AM
I am in no way trying to be rude or disrespectful but I must reply to a recent post.

XD hands down.
1. The XD is cheaper by at least $50.
2. The XD comes with more accessories. (Mag loader, holster, mag pouch, 2 hi cap mags)
3. The XD has a better grip angle and slimmer grip.
4. The XD has a better trigger pull.
5. The XD has a grip safety.
6. The XD is every bit as reliable.
7. The XD's finish has been improved, if you're still worried you can get a stainless slide.

Well, allow a few counterpoints if I may.
1. The XD is cheaper by $50- True, but in my opinion 50 dollars should not be the sole factor in deciding between weapons. More times than not, one will go with the gun they prefer. Although saving 50 dollars is never a bad thing.
2. The XD comes with more accesories- Again true, but all of the cheap accesories in the world should not be a deciding factor. Sure they are nice, but I would rather have a gun I like than one I don't that came with a lot of stuff.
3 & 4. Better grip angle and trigger pull. These are opinions. Not facts. This is not to say that one shouldn't have this opinion, just that they are OPINIONS and should not be stated as fact.
5. Grip safety- Again no disrespect meant, but so what? While the grip safety may be better/prefered for some, others don't care at all. As a glock owner, I do not feel I need a grip safety. Again, just my opinion.
6. Reliabiliy is equal- Probably.

Well folk, sorry for the length, just wanted to make the point that one is not "hands down" better than another. As a Glock owner, I couldn't be happier. I am sure that I would also love an XD. In the end, I must encourage you to try both and choose the one that YOU like.

Chris Rhines
July 8, 2006, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't own a gun with a (functional) grip safety.

- Chris

Frenchy
July 8, 2006, 09:33 AM
Why Chris...?:confused:

AndyC
July 8, 2006, 11:14 AM
I've never had any difficulty in getting used to operating a wide variety of different types of handguns.

I was raised with the BHP, CZ and 1911 platforms but I have no problem in going plastic - if it's reliable (my 1st criterion) and reasonably accurate (my 2nd), I'll carry it.

motorcycle_dan
October 25, 2006, 11:46 AM
Viewing old posts thought I'd toss in my $0.02

I have an XD45 tactical that I use for IPSC competition L-10. Love it for ergonomics, and no safety to deal with on the draw. The felt recoil is less than a 1911 when the mag is full, more when down to the last couple shots. That means I pick my hard targets to be shot just after a mag change.

I have a couple of Glocks, 17L and a 20C, Nice but not quite as good a fit in my hand. Lots of accessories and gear for glocks. Accuracy of a Glock is questionable. Not bad but I suspect larger groups than XD

I have a couple of 1911 and clones, Nothing will ever replace it. The trigger and accuracy of a 1911 is second to none in my opinion. I shoot these in conventional pistol competition (Bullseye)

Where speed is involved, "I" flinch if using a 1911 in IPSC events when "I" try to go fast. That may be something I could train out of however, using the XD or Glock I can shoot faster. The "safe action" trigger is not like the crisp snap of a 1911 trigger. More like pumping a spray bottle. It works for ME.

If reloading for the XD, I could not get it to feed SWC. Only RN or TC. The rim of the extracted case would smack into the round in top the mag. Mush it over a bit and cause feeding/seating problems.

simonz
October 25, 2006, 02:57 PM
This a little of the .45 topic but still XD vs Glock.

I had an XD9 that I sold and got a G19. I didn't like the stiff slide pull on the XD. It takes really strong hands to pull. Also, the trigger reset is too long on the XD and the G19 has a sweet trigger. The XD9 had a few too many failures in the first hundred rounds. I don't know but these failures may have worked their way out with a break in period.

Simonz

tacrig
May 16, 2007, 05:23 PM
i have had alot of pistols in the 20 years of shooting...my xd 45 jams often, this pistol has jammed more than any pistol i have ever had....:cuss:

kellyj00
May 16, 2007, 05:33 PM
tacrig: ok... what do you mean by jamming? perhaps I can be of some help.

Ala Dan
May 16, 2007, 05:43 PM
Better

The Croatians did their homework before coming to market with the XD~!

1) fully supported chamber, 2) steel dovetailed sights, 3) loaded chamber
indicator, 4) cocking indicator, 5) 1911 style grip safety, 6) metal guide rod,
7) stainless steel drop free magazines, 8) ambi-magazine release, 9) 1911
grip angle, 10) accessory package, 11) price, 12) customer service, if you
ever need it~! ;)

The Springer XD combines the best features of SIG, Glock, and H&K all
rolled into one design~! ;) :cool: :D

Rushifell
May 16, 2007, 05:56 PM
I had a little problem with my XD 45 failing to feed, but it was easily remedied by cleaning the magazines. After that it resumed its otherwise flawless record in my hands. It is my daily carry pistol (4" stainless XD45 service) and I have every confidence in its function. I also own a Glock 19. I love both guns, both of them point naturally for me, both of them conceal well for me, and both of them work perfectly. The mags had never been cleaned through about 1500 rounds of firing cheap WWB from wally world. Once clean they were perfect again. The trigger on my XD is super crisp, very very nice. And I do feel safer carrying the XD due to the grip safety. I cleaned the mag on my glock 19 at the same time I cleaned the XDs mags, but the glock magazine was really pretty clean, I bought the glock used recently and its an earlier model frame, possibly the previous owner had cleaned it, or maybe the shop had, can only speculate on that. Both guns are great, I lean more toward the XD as an overall winner, but I certainly dont dislike my glock either. The glock is a sweet machine that really is a joy to fire. That and its half as expensive to shoot, being 9mm.

hangmans joke
May 16, 2007, 06:44 PM
xd is nice . glock is the daddy. i also own both and everything stated is OPINIONS.there is no fact the ergos are better on xd .i like both but go with glock.also because they make a 10mm g20 :D . the xd kinda lost me when it was bought by springfield and changed the name from hs2000 to xd and jacked up the price by 150 bucks. GLOCK RULES.

tacrig
May 16, 2007, 07:32 PM
my xd 45 jams more than any pistol i ever had , my friends xd 40 jams in the same manner...rounds go ''face down in the magazine ..locking the slide 3/4 back..''

ta4
May 16, 2007, 08:24 PM
XD, imho. I fondled the 21sf & the handle is still too big for my mitts. I could barely tell the difference between the 21 & the 21sf. Moreover, the right mag release on the 21sf is in an awkward spot. I have an XD 45acp & I'm happy with it. It fits my hands with no adjustable backstraps, have had no malfaunctions & it is accurate.

KHAN
May 16, 2007, 08:37 PM
I too have seen the torture test the XD went through and it will stand up to everything the Glock will. Should've saved the site.

Here you go, for anyone that'd like to read it. Done by Chaim Stein, owner of Suresight LLC, who makes sights for both Glocks and XDs. Done on an XD 9mm

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

atomd
May 16, 2007, 09:32 PM
Anthing but the .45s currently isn't going to have near the metal treatment/finish of the Glocks

This is false.

I'd like to clear up all the confusion on the finish of the XD. When the XD first came out it wasn't offered with a melonite finish. It also wasn't offered in .45ACP. When the .45ACP was released it was ONLY released with the melonite finish. They continued to make the other caliber XDs with their older finish UNTIL AROUND MID 2006. After that point ALL XDs made were and still are made with a melonite finish. Melonite and Tennifer are almost identical. Glock uses Tennifer and Springfield uses Melonite. As long as you buy a new XD (chambered in anything they offer), it will have the new finish unless it's old stock. Call Springfield and ask if you aren't sure.

I like both the XD and the Glock. I like the XD better though. It's more comfortable to shoot for me and generally fits my hands better / points better. I don't think the bore axis makes that much of a difference (yes I have shot PLENTY of Glocks). The takedown of the XD is VERY simple so it's easy to clean. I even find a simple field strip easier with an XD. Glock wins for the detail strip though. I think the trigger is slightly better on the XD. I wouldn't say either has a "great" trigger though. The fully supported chamber and the grip safety, while not needed, are both positives in my opinion. I would trust my life to either but I just prefer the XD. Glocks are good too but I just like the XD. Good choices. Buy both if you can (but get the XD in .45ACP and the Glock in 9mm). :D

longeyes
May 16, 2007, 10:53 PM
One SHTF question: where are you going to get XD parts?

briansp82593
May 16, 2007, 11:47 PM
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item
that is all

Taurus44
May 17, 2007, 12:19 AM
One SHTF question: where are you going to get XD parts?Extra parts?!? Why not...

http://www.2cpu.com/images/review/xdt-xds.jpg

...extra XDs! :D

I currently own three XDs (I have owned a total of four) and I LOVE them! I have a 3" 9mm, 4" .40 and a 5" 9mm with various modifications. Next on my list is an XD-45 or some sort or another.

I've shot plenty of Glocks in the past, but when it came time to buy my own plastic gun, the XD just fit my hand better, and it was a better value (cost for features) based on what I was looking for.

dstorm1911
May 17, 2007, 12:41 AM
O.K Well I actually managed to read through the whole thing....... only one thing nobody mentioned the Parent weapon the HS2000 was designed from the ground up to be used by the Croation military, it served admirably in severe combat against the Serbs (in fact thats why we got all these great Yugo milsurp weapons on the market the last few years.......... Yugoslavia lost that war and now all their weapons are bein sold off) The pistol was designed with the best from the Sig 220, Glock contributed the polymere frame and trigger safty the rest was taken from the American 1911...

The XD has an extensive COMBAT record of reliability the Glock has an extensive record of reliable service in law enforcement which is what it was originally designed for as the Austrians haven't had a standing real army since WWII they focused on police use tough, the Croations focused on we will be an extinct vanished people subjected to genocide if this weapon fails our troops.......... it didn't fail

ugaarguy
May 17, 2007, 12:41 AM
One SHTF question: where are you going to get XD parts?
That's a valid point. A few other things to consider though. My understanding is that SA is starting to ship XD parts to folks who've taken the XD armorer's certification course. However, the XD does require special armorers tools for a complete detail strip, whereas the Glocks (and S&W's new M&P as well) can be detail stripped using standard punches. The counter to that is that we've seen very few if any XDs returned to the shop for repair.

boomstik45
May 18, 2007, 09:22 PM
Loved the Glock 21. Like the XD .45acp better as far as feel. Liked the XD .45 Tactical even better. However....get your mitts on the M&P .45. Smith has remembered its storied heritage and finally done it right. Not since the ol' 4566 and 4506 have I been even paying attention to a Smith semi-auto. Trust me, as long as you can get over the less-than-optimal mag capacity, this gun is one of the best out right now. It handles soooo good. Has the low bore axis I love in the Glock, the superior grip angle I love in the XD, and the inherent accuracy I love in the Sig 220. Don't take the M&P lightly, it's a good gun.

possum
May 19, 2007, 01:11 AM
not that the xd's are better , but i prefer the xd line up over any of the glock line up. hands down. i have owned both glock which i no longer do and i still have my two xd's. i prefer the xd ad the xd design. they are more comfortable for me to shoot and they fit me better along with many other factors for me personally. now that we are talking about the .45 acp models, i definetly think that the xd takes the cake. see i have small hands and the xd in .45 offers something that the other companies don't , high cap .45 in a package that even i can shoot comfortably. i like the xd .45's and before that came out there wasn't a double stack .45 acp that i could get my hands around. another inivative step by the sa.

longhorngunman
May 19, 2007, 01:47 AM
Glock for me:)! Nothing against the XD, I think they are swell guns in their own right. But it's what goes with or not with on the Glocks that sells me. I have 1911, Hi-powers, Sig's, etc and like them a lot but for depending on my life and as a SHTF handgun I can't beat the Glocks for reliability. Plus there are not many parts, parts are easy to acquire in a hurry unlike the XD, Glock mags are plentiful, cheap and available everywhere, also literally tons of accesories available for the Glocks, and the lower bore axis is more natural to me. I admit the XD FEELS better in my hand but the Glocks always are natural pointers to me and place my fingers exactly where they need to be. And there is no chance of accidental discharges with the Glock, very possibly negligent discharges but not accidental. Keep it in a good holster protecting the trigger and always practice good finger and safety habits and the Glock will be fine. In the end it's really just personal preference though. A potiential buyer should go rent and shoot both before buying either.

270Win
May 19, 2007, 01:51 AM
+1 to Glock.

If you enjoyed reading about "newbie question: is XD .45 acp same or better than glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!