Hand-Written Transfer???

PDA

Roadwild17
June 20, 2006, 05:11 PM
I know a guy who has a few hundred lower recivers DMPS and he no longer has his FFL. He said that we could do a hand-writen transfer. What is this and is it legal? Can I do anything else?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand-Written Transfer???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tory
June 20, 2006, 05:33 PM
To the BATFE, each of those "few hundred lower recivers" is a GUN and requires the disposition of each in a dealer's bound book. Since your source is no longer an FFL, those receivers must have been transferred to him as his personal property before he can sell one to you.

IF that is done, state law applies. However, it is exceedingly odd that an FFL would go out of business with such a large amount of that type of inventory still on hand. :scrutiny:

Proceed with caution.

Roadwild17
June 20, 2006, 05:40 PM
Hes just a guy I know that stocked up on lowers in 93 (before the ban) and with the "sunset" there not worth what he thought they would be, so hes getting rid of a few to some sellect people. He never was a business, he bought them from a dealer and then got an FFL to order stuff off of gunbroker.

BARRETT
June 20, 2006, 05:43 PM
how much?

exar
June 20, 2006, 05:45 PM
Check your state laws. Here in IN, I just print out a paper stating what's being transfered with serial numbers and have both parties sign it.

Roadwild17
June 20, 2006, 05:46 PM
$50, but hes not slling to the public as far as I know

BARRETT
June 20, 2006, 05:51 PM
a striped lower is only 85. from dpms so its not a BAD deal

Leatherneck
June 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
Tory has it rightTo the BATFE, each of those "few hundred lower recivers" is a GUN and requires the disposition of each in a dealer's bound book. What is a non-dealer doing buying "a few hundred" guns and selling them. That's dealing, my friend. You're on dangerous ground. He, even more so.

TC

Roadwild17
June 21, 2006, 09:14 AM
Procide with caution, sure BUT is it legal?
Can I go the my sheriff's office and to a total legal transfer or something like that?

rbernie
June 21, 2006, 09:58 AM
If the transfer was in-state, why would this even be a question? Sounds like a simple FTF deal, just like any other we might encounter. The fact that this individual used to be an FFL is irrelevant to the buyer, as is the amount of inventory being sold.

Unless there's an out-of-state transfer being conducted, I'm not sure that I understand why this would be an issue.....

SIOP
June 21, 2006, 10:25 AM
irrelevant to the buyer, as is the amount of inventory being sold.

Not so fast. If he has a few hundred receivers and starts selling them off, he is clearly engaging in the business of buying and selling firearms. Without an FFL, he is subjecting himself to prosecution. Likewise, if a buyer buys a quantity of these, ATF is likely going to presume he is buying them with the intent of reselling. Same rule applies. If you buy a dozen lowers from this guy, you better be able to prove you didn't buy them with the intent of reselling them when ATF catches up to you.

larry_minn
June 21, 2006, 01:45 PM
It is getting to (grey area) He bought them before ban thinking they would be worth $$$ in couple yrs. He got a FFL to legally sell them for profit. Well manufactures modified ARs (post ban) and receivers really didn't go up (that much) The expense of FFL he decided was not worth it.
He can sell his guns (or just lower receivers) from his PERSONAL collection. He is likely wise not to offer them to general public in this manner. (did I suggest I would be interrest in a couple?)
Not sure of Kalif law. Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand-Written Transfer???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!