Is converting a Blackhawk to a Bisley Blackhawk a job for a gunsmith?

PDA

Lone_Gunman
June 20, 2006, 10:00 PM
Or can I just buy the Bisley parts from Brownells and do it myself?

Is any metal working or fitting required, or is it all drop-in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is converting a Blackhawk to a Bisley Blackhawk a job for a gunsmith?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SouthpawShootr
June 20, 2006, 10:33 PM
If you're talking one of the Qualite gripframes, they tend to run a bit oversize. I had a Vaquero reblued and fitted with a brass grip frame and my smith charged me $30 to put it on. He said it wasn't hard, just minor fitting in several places to get it right. I was told by others on this board that, with patience, I could fit this myself, but I was getting the gun refinished anyway, so I killed two birds with one stone.

Jim March
June 20, 2006, 10:56 PM
So far as I'm aware Qualite/QPR isn't doing Bisleys yet. The Bisley grip frames (and kits) from Brownells are all Ruger parts.

The stainless is easier to fit as there's no re-bluing needed when done. But yeah, these can be done by hand yourself.

Master Blaster
June 21, 2006, 10:02 AM
I am somewhat interested in this as well. Does anyone know how hard it is to change out the hammer for a bisley hammer, and do you need to replace the trigger as well? does the hammer require any fitting?

Thanks

JoeHatley
June 21, 2006, 11:43 AM
The grip frame takes a lot of polishing and a bit of fitting, but it's pretty much just a parts swap.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/bishawk_r.jpg

Fun project...

Joe

Lone_Gunman
June 21, 2006, 01:37 PM
Joe,

I can disassemble and reassemble, but as for fitting and polishing, what is involved exactly with that?

JoeHatley
June 21, 2006, 06:35 PM
Just draw file or sand the sides so they don't stick out from the cylinder frame too far. The openings in the frame for the hammer and trigger needed a little filing to make them square. Total time fitting was only about 15 minutes. I used mostly wet dry sandpaper with a backing board to keep things kinda straight. Very limited use of some small cheap "gunshow" files.

The Ruger castings are VERY rough. Time spent polishing can be quite a bit.

Don't forget good screwdrivers, punches and some cold blue.

Good Luck...

Joe

S&WIowegan
June 21, 2006, 06:41 PM
I did this in order to have a Bisley .41 Mag. It works but the grip and frame didn't mate up closely at all. Since it was a blue gun, I was looking at filing, sanding and reblue. My guess is it's a matter of luck whether your parts mate up well or not. The factory just uses the belt sander if they need to.

Bob.

Koveras
June 21, 2006, 10:54 PM
The Bisley grip frame will come in looking something like below. Nothing major, but some elbow grease is required.

http://members.cox.net/koveras/RawFrame.jpg

JoeHatley
June 22, 2006, 12:10 PM
This article from Real Guns should give you a pretty good idea of what's involved.

www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar97.htm

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Is converting a Blackhawk to a Bisley Blackhawk a job for a gunsmith?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!