Other Than A Smith & Wesson Model 642, Your NEXT Favorite Snub Nose Revolver Is ----?

PDA

Ala Dan
June 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
(Fill In The Blank):uhoh:

Due to the popularity of the Smith & Wesson model 642, I felt like this is
a perfect time to ask if anyone has a favorable opinion of any other snub
nose handgun? I too, am fond of the Airweight model 642; but I do have
other's that I like equally as well. With that said, I will list a few if our
membership doesn't mind?

a) No snub nose collection would be complete, without at least one
snub nose Smith & Wesson (old model) 60 in .38 Special. After all,
this is the one handgun that got the stainless steel era started. I
have a 79-80 vintage copy that is still a great shooter, and makes
for an excellent carry piece. In order to preserve the original Smith
& Wesson walnut grips (with logo), I carefully replaced them with a
set of Pachmayr "Professional" rubber grips. This is the only type of
modification I have made to this weapon. This weapon is a 60 dash
nothing, making it most desireable~!

b) Another one that I get excited about is the Smith & Wesson model
37. Most will remember that it was the original Airweight "Chiefs Special",
weighing in at only 15 ozs; and chambered in .38 Special. I have one
of the later versions with a matte finish; and NO modifications have
been made to this one.

c) On too Colt's for a minute~! I have two minty D-frame Detective
Specials; one nickel, and one blue. Both are chambered in .38 Special,
and remain in their original configuration. As a matter of fact, these
two six-shooter's are highly regarded "classics" of my snub nose
collection. The nickel one is from 1971, and has only been test fired
by its original owner. The blue one dates back too 1966, and not much
else is known a'bout its history. BTW, I'm still look'in for pristine models
of the 2nd generation (1947-1972) Cobra and Agent, to join with these
two marvelous Colt's~!

d) How a'bout the .357 magnum; in particular the 2.5" barrel S&W model
19's, 66's, or 686's? I was fortuante enough too snag a 2.5" model 66-4
at a great price, so I added it to my snubby collection. Not liking the
original Uncle Mike's rubber grips, I searched the world over until I
found a set of OEM walnut S&W logo grips; and they were quickly
added for beauty.

So, does anyone else have a favorite snub nose revolver other than
the wonderful Smith & Wesson 642? If so, I would like very much to
hear your story.:D

Edited to add: Hey Guys and/or Gals-

I forgot a couple~!

How 'bout a pinned 2" factory nickel Smith & Wesson model 10, from
1972. Its not even considered by me as a "carry option"; but for the
$150 investment, makes a nice "safe queen". I picked it up on a
private party tranfer in the fall of '04. So, when Hillary and Kofi come
calling, it will be "out of sight, and out of mind".

Also, my wifey has a 2" barrel, square butt Rossi model 88 that she
loves. Fit and finish are excellent, as this gun has only been test
fired. Its her "carry gun" around town, and on extended lengthy
trips.

And lastly, I have a 2" pinned barrel Smith & Wesson model 30-1
in .32 S&W Long. Its a prisitne, blue steel model that I bought NIB
for my now deceased dad way back in 1971. Its another one that
don't make it to the range, having been designated as a "safe
queen". Dad grew up in a time when the .32 S&W Long was
considered an "ideal police cartridge"; and this was his carry
gun of choice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Other Than A Smith & Wesson Model 642, Your NEXT Favorite Snub Nose Revolver Is ----?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
June 21, 2006, 04:44 PM
I have a S&W 60-4 3" with adjustable sights that is a real sweety, promised to my Son, if he grows from childish to childlike.

It is a great shooter and with some magnas and a T grip, it makes for a great packing gun. It is about as close to a snubbie that I have other than a 642.

ugaarguy
June 21, 2006, 04:47 PM
The only snubby I currently own is a 2.5 M66 no dash that I got a few days ago. I think it's the ideal 'tweener carry gun. If a mid frame service pistol - think Glock 19, 4" 686, etc - is too big for the season/clothing/conditions, yet I don't want to drop down to my Kel-Tec P3AT, the snubby M66 is perfect. You get a short barrel, 357 Mag power, and K-Frame size - perfect in the middle pistol. Even with heavy 38 +Ps I think its still a great size/power combination. Other than that I've always been fond of the "Body Guard" style J Frames and the Ruger SP 101 357 Mags.

RNB65
June 21, 2006, 05:16 PM
Model 60 .38sp w/ Hogue grips and 158gr +P SWHP.

atlctyslkr
June 21, 2006, 05:32 PM
I've got a 649 in .357 . I like it just fine. I love the single action option.

I saw this on a forum somewhere and I want to give credit I just don't know who to give it to so if you are that person - great quote.

"The bodyguard is the thinking man's centennial

MCgunner
June 21, 2006, 05:46 PM
1) Taurus M85UL, trigger sweeter'n candy and 15 ounces of +P rated .38 that fits in a pocket. I like the 642 better for a pocket gun, I gotta admit, though I don't own one.....yet. I like the fact that it is hammerless. However, I do like having a hammer spur and the ability to shoot single action.

2) Ruger 3" SP 101. Don't own one of these, yet, either. But it's one tough, easy to carry, and easy to shoot J and a half frame .357 Magnum. It's a lot easier to shoot with heavy loads than the smaller J frame guns.

MCgunner
June 21, 2006, 05:51 PM
The only snubby I currently own is a 2.5 M66 no dash that I got a few days ago. I think it's the ideal 'tweener carry gun. If a mid frame service pistol

I'm wanting something like this, a K frame snub, but doesn't have to be .357 or stainless, though that's highly desirable to me. But, I do want a round butt gun. It'd take a 2", like a M10, in .38 but would want 2.5-3" in .357 mag.

ugaarguy
June 21, 2006, 06:37 PM
McGunner, as you know the K Frames do have some durability issues in 357 Mag so I tend to think of the M66 as a heavy duty 38 +P gun that can handle the 357 Mag for trips into rough country - rather that be not so nice places in nature or the urban jungle. The fact that Ultramax loads 357 Mag brass w/ 125 gr flat nose lead bullet at standard 38 pressure is great. These 'cowboy' loads are letting me shoot and buildup brass until I get a reloading press. The advantage to this load is easier chamber cleanup than 38 cases and getting the now once fired Winchester 357 Mag brass.

sm
June 21, 2006, 06:51 PM
I am not sentimental or sappy.
Hard- headed, persistent, consistent and loyal perhaps...

Model 36 , 37, 042
Model 10, 64 , 19, 66

I have to bend a rule...err...I have a 1928 Colt Detective Special. "He" was sentimental and the story of why I have it is...err...I like it and umm...I was raised with Smith's for Revolvers and Colt for 1911s.

cslinger
June 21, 2006, 07:17 PM
Smith 638, Smith Model 60 and the Ruger SP101 in that order.

Majic
June 21, 2006, 07:19 PM
Other Than A Smith & Wesson Model 642, Your NEXT Favorite Snub Nose Revolver Is ----?
Personally you couldn't give me a M642, but I guess my second favorite snub would be Cobra.

BigG
June 21, 2006, 07:24 PM
Mod 342, Cobra, Agent, DS - all Colts old style. :D

Iggy
June 21, 2006, 08:35 PM
640-1 .357, Mdl 10, Mdl 36.

I got things covered. :)

orionengnr
June 21, 2006, 08:41 PM
S&W 340...got one!

S&W 342 no Lock...want one!

S&W 325...Mr. BIG snub!

SAWBONES
June 21, 2006, 09:51 PM
Tie between Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum (2 1/4" barrel) and S&W 649 in .38 Special (1 7/8" barrel), even though they're fairly dissimilar.

The SP101 is strong, points perfectly, feels good, is easy to shoot, fires 158gr+P Buffalo Bore .357 Magnum JHP all day and comfortably, and is quite accurate and precise.

The 649 is smaller, lighter, points perfectly, feels good, is easy to shoot, fires 158gr+P LSWCHP or Gold Dot "short barrel" 135gr JHP to POA, and is slightly less bulky and lighter to carry.

Sulaco
June 21, 2006, 10:01 PM
I am not crazy about Smith & Wesson revolvers unless they are real old ones. The new ones just don't do it for me. And I really don't care for .38 Special. I would much rather have a .357 Magnum like my Ruger SP101 below.

This one is a Target Grey finished 2.25" barrel. The trigger is great and it carries very well for a big guy like me (6' 200lbs).

http://www.pbase.com/sulaco/image/62261160.jpg

The Boston Patriot
June 21, 2006, 10:13 PM
66-2, K Frame, S/S, 2.5", .357Mag
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/DSC_1093a.jpg

TBP

Frandy
June 21, 2006, 10:43 PM
Well, I'm not a fan of the 642. I do have a 640, however.
In the photos I have Hogue and Pachmayr grips but it now has CT Lasergrips.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36996&d=1142168887

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38648&d=1145452475

Black Knight
June 21, 2006, 11:19 PM
I have a 2 1/2 inch S&W 66 that my wife seems to have confiscated as her gun and a 3 inch S&W 65 that I carry from time to time. It was difficult to find a holster for the 65 but I finally found a good one.

magsnubby
June 22, 2006, 12:27 AM
S&W:
642 with modified Taurus rubber factory boot grips.
60 (no dash) .38, action job, bobbed hammer, D/A only, smoothed trigger, orange front site insert and Hogue Goncolo Alves grips. The 'smith that did the work on it said he doubted it had ever been fired. This one is actually my favorite shooter.
Very old 36 (flat latch) with bobbed hammer, D/A only, smoothed trigger, Sile checkered combat grips. It was one of those seldom shot dresser drawer guns. It's still in almost mint condition.
66 with factory boot grips (rubber), bobbed hammer, D/A only. Thinking of adding a pair of Hogue grips. I'm not sure what color yet but they will be wood.

Ruger:
Currently only have an SP101 in .357 (action job, bobbed hammer, D/A only, orange front site insert and Hogue grips) but i'm thinking about cutting down a Security Six and rounding the butt.

Rossi 641 with Pachmayr Compact grips, bobbed hammer, D/A only.

Charter Arms:
Blued 3" Bulldog with Pachmayer Compact grips.

Charter 2000:
Stainless Undercover with bobbed hammer, D/A only and factory boot grips.
Stainless Offduty with Mustang walnut grips
Stainless Bulldog Pug with bobbed hammer, D/A only and Pachmayer Compact grips.

Taurus:
Blued 85 with bobbed hammer, D/A only and old style bannanna grips.
Blued 605 with bobbed hammer, D/A only and Uncle Mike's combat boot grips. I also have a pair of Pachmayer Compacts and a pair of old original checkered walnut target grips that i sometimes switch around between the two guns.
Ported, blued 606 (.357) with action job, bobbed hammer, D/A only and factory grips. I'll be ordering a pair of Hogue's for it soon.

The S&W 60 is my favorite shooter, although the 66 is pretty sweet, but the 642 is my favorite carry gun while fishing. Well okay...the SP101 is a pretty nice carry gun also.

But i have two that tie for first place. The Taurus 85 (it's still in mint condition) and my well worn Charter Bulldog. Both were my dad's guns. Someday i'll pass them down to my grandson.

warwagon
June 22, 2006, 12:36 AM
66 2.5, I have had two of them over the years as my off duty cary, I will have another someday!

Currently I have a late 70s, early 80s mod 49 that I loaned to my father, and was his nightstand gun until his passing, and(don't know if this realy qualifies) an older production Rossi M 720 covert, wit the 3" tube

Old Fuff
June 22, 2006, 12:59 AM
MCgunner:

I was suprised to find that the hammer spur on my Taurus 85 UL didn't snag when I tried it out as a pocket gun. Get a good pocket holster, unload the revolver, and test draw it for a bit. If it works as well for you as it did for me you will still have a single-action option. The little Taurus is the only snubby with a conventional hammer that I've found that doesn't snag in the pocket.

Gordon
June 22, 2006, 01:26 AM
Here's two:)

242 7 shot .38+p

296 5 shot .44spl

they weigh about 17oz each

bpisler
June 22, 2006, 08:44 AM
I like my 640-1 357 a lot along with my older 3"
charter arms bulldog.My 60-7 ladysmith 38spl
isn't bad either.

SouthpawShootr
June 22, 2006, 09:31 AM
642 tops the list, but next up is my 649 (I think that's 638 for those who must have aluminum frames). After that is Taurus 85, then the Taurus 85Ti. I like Taurus' 650 and 651, but they're nearly identical to S&W's 640 and 649, respectively.

Old Dog
June 22, 2006, 10:08 AM
No plugs for the S&W Models 36 and 37? Hmm. My two favorites. I also like the 49. Guess I watched too many of the old gangster movies and '60s TV shows where the Chief's Specials were featured guns.

I've a early '90s model Taurus 85 (bright stainless) that is a truly exceptional, accurate and reliable snubby.

33-805
June 22, 2006, 10:18 AM
I consider the 638 to be a really excellent carry revolver. It's light and snag free. I am one of those unfortunates who has the spur snag most times if I go with a spurred hammer version. I also carry a 640 S&W 357 from time to time. I have always liked J frames and I guess I always will. Just too handy not to!

Ala Dan
June 22, 2006, 10:38 AM
ATT: Old Dog My Friend-

Please re-read section b, of my original post regarding the wonderful
Smith & Wesson model 37 Chief's Special.:cool: :D

Old Dog
June 22, 2006, 11:07 AM
Ah, I missed that ... you are the man, Dan!

Essex County
June 22, 2006, 11:54 AM
Boy am I in left field! I feel that a J frame is not ideal for pocket carry. And I've carried several many a mile in a custom Mexican pocket holster and it worked. Just barely. As I reconsider I feel a 2" K frame makes a lot more sense for the average guy. A Kel-Tec is ideal for pocket carry. If I'm going to wear any type of a belt holster give me a round butt model 12. God holsters abound...............Essex

fastbolt
June 22, 2006, 01:31 PM
Before I picked up my 642-1 I carried either a M649 (.38 Spl older version) or a Ruger SP-101 DAO. Both are fine for their intended purpose.

Long ago I foolishly let go of a nickeled M36 3" Heavy Barrel. Shot about as well as my issued 4" M686 with 158gr LSWCHP +P ammunition. Should'a kept it.

Nothing wrong with a standard blued M36. Should'a kept that one, too.

While I like the little M37 Airweight with the bobbed hammer, I'll probably keep it in the safe and not shoot it any time soon. I just thought it was an interesting example of the breed to pick up.

Wouldn't mind having a M638 sometime, just to have the Airweight version of my favored ugly Bodyguard.

Should'a kept my blued Ruger Speed-Six. Like it better than either of the blued & stainless short-barreled Security-Sixes I carried.

Blued & stainless M19/66's are excellent examples of nicely done short-barreled full-size revolvers that really only offer the advantage of being able to use a slightly shorter holster. ;) One in proper condition is something to enjoy when it comes to range time.

S&W's M13/64/65 models probably weren't appreciated nearly as much as they deserved, overall. I wouldn't mind finding a pristine example of either the M13/65, in that order, even though I primarily favor stainless for working guns.

Never cared for the Colt, Rossi, Charter Arms or Taurus offerings. Sorry.

I pretty much think the S&W J-frame series deserves a class all its own, even though similar size revolvers have been offered by other manufacturers.

While I've handled, fired and trained with my fair share of M60 and 640 J-frames, including an early 640 bearing the short-lived "+P+" rating in the frame's cylinder window, I just never felt interested in buying one of my own. Admittedly, this is at odds with my preferrence for the utilitarian stainless guns. No real reason for it, except that the 60/640 just don't appeal to me. May still pick up a new .357 Magnum M60 before I retire, just to round out my J-frame collection, though. Rather do all my Magnum shooting with my SP-101, though.

I always prefer to have revolvers checked out by someone who can correct or repair problems, though. QC is just so unpredictable and variable when it comes to revolvers, it seems. My 649 and 629 Classic were produced during S&W's 'not great' years ... with neither gun being in functional and proper condition as it came from the factory. Too bad. Some time at the bench under the attention of an old-time S&W revolver armorer (and new hammer & trigger for the 629) and both guns were restored to what they should've been from the factory.

Of course, my SP-101 had a nasty, sharply burred edge on the ejector star that caused the gun to sieze up under sustained shooting which heated things up, and my Redhawk had to be returned to the factory for a new hammer & trigger, as well ... (and my early P-90 needed a new slide, FWIW ;) ) ... and Charter Arms never could get one of my problematic .44 Bulldogs to function, even after repeated trips to the factory ... and I've even seen, and heard about, problems involving Colt Pythons ... so it's not like these things don't happen to everyone upon occasion, you know.

MCgunner
June 22, 2006, 02:04 PM
I was suprised to find that the hammer spur on my Taurus 85 UL didn't snag when I tried it out as a pocket gun. Get a good pocket holster, unload the revolver, and test draw it for a bit. If it works as well for you as it did for me you will still have a single-action option. The little Taurus is the only snubby with a conventional hammer that I've found that doesn't snag in the pocket.

I haven't had any problems with mine snagging, but I instinctively put a thumb on the hammer when I draw and the pockets in my cargo Wranglers have a large front pocket opening that helps a lot. Before I found these jeans, I didn't have a pocket it'd fit in. I always carried it IWB. Now, I have the pocket option.

I don't know why I do the thumb thing, but I remember seeing a possum in my barn once, went over there with a Rossi kit gun stuck in my back pocket. It ran across the barn and, much to my surprise, when I drew and fired totally instinctively and hit the thing, I cocked it and fired single action even though I practice DA all the time. I think it's from starting out with single actions when I was a kid. I still have and fire and carry single actions afield. It just seems instinctive when I draw a revolver to have my thumb on the hammer spur. This does keep it from snagging, but I'm not sure it's all that desirable a habit.

fastbolt
June 22, 2006, 02:15 PM
I think it's from starting out with single actions when I was a kid. I still have and fire and carry single actions afield. It just seems instinctive when I draw a revolver to have my thumb on the hammer spur. This does keep it from snagging, but I'm not sure it's all that desirable a habit.

Excellently stated.

I also grew up shooting, enjoying and carrying Ruger SA revolvers in the back woods and 'approved' rural shooting areas outside small towns.

While I owned several DA revolvers prior to my entering L/E, I still favored SA revolvers. It took some dedicated training to overcome my preference for SA revolvers during my early years in L/E.

As soon as I pick up a SA revolver, though, it all comes back ... ;)

It's why I still have three of them in my safe, and would like to add another 2-3 before I retire.

BryanP
June 22, 2006, 02:31 PM
I own two snubbies. A S&W 638 and a Taurus 617. The 617 really isn't suitable for CCH, but my wife can shoot it well so it's hers.

Marshall
June 22, 2006, 02:58 PM
I'm not much on the 642, I'd take the 640 over it. However I like exposed hammers and single action/double action so I got the Model 60 .357.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/bunnfuzz/dcp_0559.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/bunnfuzz/dcp_0555.jpg

Ala Dan
June 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
You mean we actually have folk's on board that aren't members of
The 642 Club~?:uhoh:

Iggy
June 22, 2006, 05:25 PM
I'm a lonely member of the 640 club.......

B36
June 22, 2006, 06:47 PM
S&W 296/396

cslinger
June 22, 2006, 07:20 PM
Well technically I own a 638 and a 442 so technically I am not exactly a member. :D

nitesite
June 22, 2006, 08:20 PM
Great thread, Dan!

My only one right now.... a no-dash 442 in great condition in spite of lots of concealed carry.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/442web2.jpg

SAWBONES
June 22, 2006, 08:54 PM
"You mean we actually have folk's on board that aren't members of The 642 Club~?"

I have a 642, but it's NOT my favorite snubby at all.

It's heavier than my 340PDs, either of which (I have two for luck) is lighter to carry in a pocket holster than the 642, and nowhere near as sturdy or accurate-precise as my 649 or either of my Model 60s or Ruger SP101s, nor does it hold 6 rounds like my old Colt Dick Special. It's OK, but it's certainly not the hands-down choice for the best snubby out there.

loud-mouth shnook
June 22, 2006, 09:53 PM
So YOU'RE the other one! I love my 640-1.

Ida Noski
June 22, 2006, 09:58 PM
Howdy!
FNG here as far as posting goes.
Been lurking a long time.
My favorite (and have to admit, only) snubbie is a 686.
I have a 6" 686 that I love, but I really love my main carry piece, 686 snubbie!

Ida

cherryriver
June 22, 2006, 10:02 PM
A Colt D- a bobbed Agent or a Magnum Carry. Then, a 640. Depends on what kind of pocket you're talking about, but six is an awful lot more than five, maybe. And that Magnum Carry is the easiest to shoot small snub I ever tried.
Bill
http://www.fishertransmission.com/images/MagCarry_right_Eagle0001.JPG

Ala Dan
June 22, 2006, 10:21 PM
Hello And Greeting's To All-

Keep 'em coming people, I see some great response's thus far and I'm
enjoying reading each and every one. Just thought I would take a few
seconds, and welcome all new member's that have posted a reply to
this thread. Remember, your opinion does count here; and we really
do appreciate you sharing it with us. Snubby guns are fasinating lil'
pieces. I have owned many other the years; and a lot of 'em are no
longer in my inventory, its sad too say.

Among those, were the 2" [square butt] S&W models 36 and 37
and the Airweight factory nickel model 38. I even had a blued S&W
model 40, that I bought NIB a'round 1974. Years ago, they referred
too these as "Lemon Squeezers"; cuz of the grip safety. And, one
day soon (I hope) too add a Ruger SP-101 in .357 magnum to the
collection. That is, if I can ever get cured from the addiction to
1911's~!:cool: :uhoh: :D

FotoTomas
June 22, 2006, 10:51 PM
I have owned many over the years and truly like the model 36 and 37. My favorite is my Model 38:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/FotoTomas/Bodyguard_on_wood_w.jpg

The 642 is a good gun and I liked the one I had. Even so the 638 is my choice over the 642. I hope to find a decent prelock 638 so as to retire my 1959 S&W Model 38.

vynx
June 23, 2006, 01:29 AM
I have a model 38 alloy and stainless - I only wish it was rated for +P

BluesBear
June 23, 2006, 07:19 AM
2" blue steel Colt Lawman MkIII ;)

Stainz
June 23, 2006, 09:07 AM
2"
I bought a new 2" 10, +P rated, from a closeout dealer nearly three years ago - great launch pad for those +P 158gr LHPSWC's. All day shooter with regular 158gr LSWC. Sports the boot-type wood type service grips.

2.5"
I do have what a 642 would look like, if allowed to eat as I do - a 296, which I bought new ~3.5yr ago. I did cover the backstrap with the Uncle Mike's rounded combat grips, like the ones that come stock on new 10's, etc. Still, with 200gr GDJHP's, GA Arms, Blazers, or mine, it hits POI/POA at 12-15yd... with some authority. That is the only ammo it uses.

Both of the above have their own pancake style OWB black leather "Old World Leather" closeout holsters from Michaels - and loaded spare HKS speedloaders (#10 & CA44).

Stainz

PS I almost forgot...

Go Big Orange - AND BLUE! Yea A.U.!!!

Iggy
June 23, 2006, 09:22 AM
loud-mouth shnook

Wow, our club's membership has doubled in size!!!

We're on a roll!!

fiVe
June 23, 2006, 10:52 AM
Dan,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm interested in all snubs (tho partial to the 642). One day I would like to have a Colt Detective.

Y'all keep those posts, and especially pictures, coming!!

PX15
June 23, 2006, 11:30 AM
One of these:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_5040.jpg

:D

JP

Boats
June 23, 2006, 12:05 PM
I am glad Ala Dan mentioned the Colt DS, because I cannot stand the J-Frame at all in any of its flavors.

Now if Colt would get a freakin' clue and bring back the Magnum Carry, all would be right with the revolver world.

bulbboy
June 23, 2006, 12:33 PM
Probably the Ruger SP101

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/kevinmichaeldick/rugersp101.jpg

mag
June 23, 2006, 02:39 PM
My everyday carry is a 12 oz S&W 360 with a 3" barrel.

I installed a Pachmayr Gripper Decelerator grip on it yesterday, and fired all 5 Remington 357 125 SJHP in around 2 seconds. I had full control and hit where I was aiming, (good follow up shots.) I think the new grips helps control a good bit.

Mike G.

Cocked & Locked
June 23, 2006, 05:19 PM
I like my J and K frame S&W snubs, but this N-frame 629-5 .44 Mag is my favorite. :uhoh:

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6259637/145236207.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6259637/145236204.jpg

Vern Humphrey
June 23, 2006, 05:25 PM
Now if Colt would get a freakin' clue and bring back the Magnum Carry, all would be right with the revolver world.

Colt has put a lot of effort into living up to their motto, "Clueless in Connecticutt."

bulbboy
June 23, 2006, 06:44 PM
Very nice .44, Cocked and Locked!!

SAWBONES
June 23, 2006, 07:23 PM
"I have a 6" 686 that I love, but I really love my main carry piece, 686 snubbie!"
Looks like a few people here like some of the larger frame snubbies.

I like my 686+ (7 round) 2 1/2" barrel, too, though it is a little bulkier and heavier than any of my other "snubbies" (multiple J-frames, a first series Colt Dick Special, Ruger SP101s), so I rarely carry it, and when I do, it's with a "string" holster.

swampdog
June 23, 2006, 08:04 PM
2" round butt Model 10 with hogue bantams. I've been thinking about getting the hammer bobbed for pocket use. As was mentioned earlier, there aren't many pants with pockets large enough. This revolver is amazingly accurate, or I shoot it better than other snubs I've owned.

I had a 2" model 34 .22 that saw lots of plinking and field use until it was stolen. I've kinda been hoping to run into another. This was a fun gun and a good shooter.

rich e
June 24, 2006, 05:17 PM
I have a few.....

S&W mod.66 2.5 inch,,,,,,S&W-mod. 36 3 inch square butt hardchromed,(tackdriver just like the 66)......And a S&W642...I also have a Taurus 85ul with the hammer....I will be selling my SP-101 hammerless snubbie shortly and will replace it with ??..(Sig-225,Glock-29,S&W mod60,)...Guns only get sold for ONE reason---UPGRADE.................................................................................................................................................................................................................Almost forgot....To answer original posters question...I would say my Taurus 85UL...It does have a nice trigger and it is just as light as the 642....Rich

RugerSAFan
June 24, 2006, 06:31 PM
Like my Taurus 851 Total Titanium, with shrouded hammer.

Its blue, with gold trigger and pearlite grips.

Several have said it looks like a pimp gun!

Next purchase will be a S&W 642.

TOADMAN
June 24, 2006, 08:53 PM
S&W Model 36 three inch blued square butt...

ugaarguy
June 24, 2006, 09:43 PM
Its blue, with gold trigger and pearlite grips.

Several have said it looks like a pimp gun!

I know what one Gen. G.S. Patton would have said :neener:

Ala Dan
June 24, 2006, 10:19 PM
Boy, some mighty nice look'in firearms here folks; and some better photography.

Sure wished I knew a few tricks of the trade when taking pics of firearms.

Old Fuff
June 24, 2006, 10:42 PM
The first trick is to turn off the flash and go outside. Hopefully on a cloudy day when the shadows aren't too harsh. If that isn't possible get into someplace where a building or some other large object is casting a shadow. If you are in an shadowed area the gun (or whatever) won't cast a shadow, and unlike a flash used close up, you won't get a hotspot in the middle of the image. Then put the camera on a tripod or other firm support. Last but least, if you can, place the camera about 4 or 5 feet above the subject and frame it with a zoom lens. Most fuzzy pictures are caused because the camera was too close.

For folks that don't have a digital camera. You can take pictures with a regular 35mm film camera, and have them developed and the pictures scanned on a CD as a digital file - the file will be the same as you would get with a digital camera. :)

Deer Hunter
June 25, 2006, 07:31 PM
I've been thinking about adding a little snubby to my collection. It'll come in handy when I get my CCW, seeing as how I usually collect large-frame pistols.

My criteria is as follows:

1. Smith and Wesson (I'm an addict, and they are my crack)
2. Blued
3. Exposed hammer
4. .357/.38

Any suggestions?

ugaarguy
June 25, 2006, 08:17 PM
DeerHunter, get an old bodyguard.

one45auto
June 25, 2006, 08:27 PM
I've been wanting a 637 for quite some time, so when I finally get around to it the little hammered Smith will be my next snub purchase.

Deer Hunter
June 25, 2006, 11:39 PM
Oops, forgot to add that I need to find one with a 6 shot capacity. Not sure why, but I have the old-fashioned idea that a wheelgun should have at least six shots...

Poohgyrr
June 26, 2006, 12:00 AM
:uhoh:

Ummm, I don't have a 642 yet... But my 640-1 is a true and faithful sweetheart. Next to this pistol, a tuned snub M66, then a 3" M24-3, then a 3 1/2" M27.

The S&W steel K frame 2" .38 is also on the list, as is the Speed Six.

brownie0486
June 26, 2006, 12:01 AM
640-1 357 mag with Tyle T grip and Berami hipgrip

Brownie

edw794
June 26, 2006, 03:34 AM
649 .357 pre lock is what i passed up recently. i still have a pre lock 640 .357 with spegel boot grips to pack. but i find myself packing my internal lock model 60 .357 more.

ed

Vern Humphrey
June 26, 2006, 10:08 AM
Oops, forgot to add that I need to find one with a 6 shot capacity. Not sure why, but I have the old-fashioned idea that a wheelgun should have at least six shots...

You've just described the Colt Detective Special. That's what I carry when I carry a snubbie. You can find them reasonably prices on www.gunsamerica.com

Deer Hunter
June 26, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hmm.... I was thinking about something that looked like this...

http://www.eaacorp.com/images/Revolver/Windicator.jpg

This is the Windicator revolver from European American Armories. I'd like to see something like this compared to an S&W, frame-wise. It weighs 1.8 pounds, which is 28.8 ounces. I'm guessing that's around a K-frame, correct?

How hard would it be to find a small K-frame .38 (like a cut-down model 10) that can be concealed like a J-frame?

Please excuse the questions, I have no experience with snubbies.

ugaarguy
June 26, 2006, 09:21 PM
How hard would it be to find a small K-frame .38 (like a cut-down model 10) that can be concealed like a J-frame?

The K's are bit wider than J's, but still pretty small. I recently picked up a 2&1/2" Model 66 (stainless, adj. sights, 357 Mag.), and it hides quite well in a size 0 uncle mikes clip on IWB. There are plenty of K frames out there with factory 2, 2&1/2, and 3 inch tubes. There are model 10s & 64s - the Military & Police 38 S&W Special, blued & stainless respectively; 15s & 67s - Combat Masterpiece, a M&P with adj. sights, again blued & stainless; 13s & 65s - The M&P Magnum, in S&W 357 Magnum, blued & stainless; 19s & 66s - The Combat Magnums, blued & stainless versions of the Combat Masterpiece again in S&W .357 Magnum. There are others, but those are the main ones.

tipoc
June 26, 2006, 09:26 PM
Um, snubby's...

Here's two M629 by Magnaport and an M624, a Lew Horton.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/330501.jpg

Another, M25-2, Jovino gun. .45acp.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/347120.jpg

A Colt, first gen, .45 Colt oughta count.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/tipoc/snubbycolt1.jpg

Two M&Ps 38spl. I don't feel the need for .357 in a snub.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/tipoc/238snubs1.jpg

Somewhere around I have a shrouded Colt Cobra in .38 a favorite.

I'm fond of snubbys.

tipoc

denfoote
June 26, 2006, 11:03 PM
This little critter does alright !!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/denfoote/TheLady.jpg

Followed by this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/denfoote/NewGrips1.jpg

Deer Hunter
June 26, 2006, 11:19 PM
Alright, so I were thinking about a K-frame snubby (2 inch barrel) in .357/.38, how would they compare weight wise to a J-frame? Maybe 10 ounces difference?

ugaarguy
June 27, 2006, 12:09 AM
Alright, so I were thinking about a K-frame snubby (2 inch barrel) in .357/.38, how would they compare weight wise to a J-frame? Maybe 10 ounces difference?

Per the S&W website a 4" Model 10 weighs 36 oz. and a 3" Model 60 is 24 oz. I'd say 2" bbls in K and J, both steel, frames 10 oz is a pretty good estimate of weight difference.

Poohgyrr
June 27, 2006, 03:07 AM

Ummm, that is called a Detective Special.

Here is a fourth issue with the original grips. Smaller grips make it easier to conceal.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/866/DickSpec_lft.jpg

Sistema1927
June 27, 2006, 09:32 AM
In addition to my 642, I have a 1980 vintage square-butt 37, a 2.5" 19-4, and a 2.75" Ruger Speed-Six.

However, when I was in High School, I fell in love with a gun belonging to a buddy's father: A nickel 2" 36 with gorgeous blond S&W medallion grips. What a beauty! I have never seen another one to match.

mjb
June 28, 2006, 03:25 PM
My favorite snub nose is a 1968 Colt Cobra .38spl. I also have a new Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum hammerless.

newfrontierfirearms
June 28, 2006, 11:29 PM
S&W Model 940 or a 3" round butt version of the Model 547 would be my top picks.

jamz
June 29, 2006, 01:39 PM
a) No snub nose collection would be complete, without at least one
snub nose Smith & Wesson (old model) 60 in .38 Special. After all,
this is the one handgun that got the stainless steel era started. I
have a 79-80 vintage copy that is still a great shooter, and makes
for an excellent carry piece. In order to preserve the original Smith
& Wesson walnut grips (with logo), I carefully replaced them with a
set of Pachmayr "Professional" rubber grips. This is the only type of
modification I have made to this weapon. This weapon is a 60 dash
nothing, making it most desireable~!

Ahh, Ala Dan, I too had a nice Old model 60 for a while, dash nothing, 1971 or 1972 production. Very nice gun. As I recall, I had asked your advice before buying it, and you told me to jump on it.

Alas, I carry my guns, and indeed carried that one too for a while, but I started looking for an alloy frame bodyguard model which I prefered. I could never draw the M60 very well.

Finally I saw a nice old M38, no dash, blued, nice condition. I had no money to spare, so I sold my beloved M60, against the clerk's reccomendation, to get the M38.

I carry it now all the time, and it draws better, and shoots better for me than my M60 did.

I still miss it though. :)

mugsie
June 29, 2006, 07:52 PM
I have a Taurus 851BUL conceled hammer .38 cal. It's llight enough to carry in the pocket and even with 30 +P loads the recoil is minimal. It is accurate as hell though. I practice with it at least once a week and I couldn't ask for more - small, accurate, well made and easy to use - pull the trigger - it goes bang.

Overall though, I don't think the bad guys give a crap what model they get shot with. Most encounters happen between 7 yards and 3 feet so point and shoot is the order of the day, especially at close range. I hope I never have to use what I carry for, but if I do, I'm ready.

xd9fan
July 4, 2006, 02:38 AM
now I want a 340pd!!!

W Turner
July 5, 2006, 03:55 PM
S&W

Model 38 - the original humpback model, already have a 638 that is my wife's purse gun.

Model 60 - classic, the first all SS pistol

Colt.....ehh, not a huge fan of Colt revolvers

Taurus

Model 85 or one of the mid sized .44 specials or .45LC 5 shot revolvers...mmm, nice.

Matt King
July 5, 2006, 04:10 PM
Model 60 .357 J Frame.

poilu
July 5, 2006, 05:42 PM
my first revolver, an old detective special with the unshrouded ejector rod. i love my s&w m13 wirh 3" barrel too.

LoneCoon
July 5, 2006, 05:50 PM
I recently aquired a 2" barrel and the concelead grips for my Dan Wesson .357.

I like it. I like it lots.

OldSchooler
July 5, 2006, 06:36 PM
Here's one some of you maybe havent heard of: A Charter Arms Police Undercover Special. :barf: Actually, I like the Colts or even the Taurus's better, but I happen to have one of the CA PUS's in the cabinet.

You shoots whats you brung.

bakert
July 5, 2006, 11:17 PM
Normally I prefer a 4" barrel in a revolver but for times when you really have to hide one this little Taurus 85 works for me.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/Picture192.jpg

BADSBSNF81
July 7, 2006, 08:06 PM
3" Model 29
3" Model 24

Trumpetman
September 22, 2006, 10:49 AM
Rossi 351. This is a 24-ounce 2-inch .38 special, blued steel gun with exposed hammer. I like the feel of the factory rubber grips, even if they are ugly. I have old-fashioned wood grips, both small and large, that work fine and look a lot nicer than the factory ones. It shoots straight, ringing the 50-yard gong consistently with .38 +P ammo, and firing any .38's I can buy or reload into a paper plate at 7 - 10 yards. Never a single malfunction in 800 rounds of firing in one year of use. The only functional modification I've made is a lighter mainspring (an earlier Rossi 68 spring) with three rounds of coil clipped off. A good buy at $200 NIB.

Essex County
September 22, 2006, 01:49 PM
Mod 60,Mod 638 and 21/2 Mod 66. I'm still looking for a minty 2" 64. Essex

bigmike45
September 22, 2006, 02:01 PM
I have a 2" SP-101 that fills the bill for standard carry, but when in the woods with predators all around, I carry something with just a little more punch.

My Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 magnum.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/Gun1.jpg

Headless
September 22, 2006, 02:08 PM
S&W Model 36.

Wakal
September 22, 2006, 02:47 PM
Actually, "instead of" (a Slick and Weasel 642)...

Colt Magnum Carry. Tiny little six (gasp) shot .357, stainless, that still takes the same speedloaders as my favorite M19 :neener:

Mine is one of the first hundred made in the very short year (sigh) of production, and came in a Custom Shop box. No idea why, as the action on all the little MC's that I've ever fondled has been very nice.

Alex

Confederate
September 22, 2006, 03:07 PM
I have two Ruger Speed-Sixes originally chambered for .38 Special and rethroated to .357 magnum. Both have rounded grips and 3-inch barrels (not 2.75-inch). The gunsmith who did the work rethroated the chambers *exactly* and did a fantastic job.

My father has a Smith 60 .38 that's wonderful, but I wish all snubbies had at least a 2.5-inch barrel.

http://www.selfridge.army.mil/images/speedsix.gif

MCgunner
September 22, 2006, 03:30 PM
The 642 is GREAT for pocket self defense. I rather like my Taurus M85UL, though. I like it for combination self defense, field knock about gun. It's accuate and very light and compact in a pocket, and has a superb trigger. If I'm going to belt carry, I'll go with something else, but I slide this little fart in a pocket when I head down to my place and take some light loads for tin can blasting or varmints if I see something. It's accurate enough to handle those duties and small and light enough to pocket carry. Don't have any dangerous critters I need to worry about down here except the felons that live around here. .38 +P will handle that.:D

Harry Paget Flashman
September 22, 2006, 03:43 PM
S&W 342. Nice and light in the pocket.

S&W 36-1. Because everyone needs a "big" J-frame.

lwrnc1963
September 22, 2006, 07:12 PM
I had a 642 and didn't care for it. To me my 2" square butt model 10 with Eagle Secret Service grips loaded with 158gr. +P LSWCHP rounds is the perfect snubby.

ACORN
September 22, 2006, 11:12 PM
Model 38 or 49. I love humpbacks! You should see my wife!:neener:

Panthera Tigris
September 23, 2006, 04:07 PM
Actually,the 642 is not my favorite snub and never will be. I owned one and sold it. I prefer my snubs to be steel. I prefer the Taurus 650 I own to the 642 anyday.

I do regret selling a S&W 640 I used to own though. :uhoh:

HammerBite
September 23, 2006, 11:16 PM
I have a model 60 and a model 40. I don't know which is my favorite. Sometimes I want a hammer, sometimes I don't.

BusMaster007
September 24, 2006, 12:05 AM
IF I remember this right, Mr. Sokol built a Ruger Sp-101 with a 'Bodyguard' shroud on it.
THAT would be my choice IF I could get one!

I've had the SP-101 and gave it to my best friend. He liked it so much, I gave it to him for his birthday.:)
It was heavy and only had five shots. I still think it's the best 'small' .357.
But, I figured if I had to have a heavy snub, it should be blue/have sights/ have 6 shots, so I bought a Security-Six snubby!

I've always wanted a S&W Bodyguard, and now a .357 stainless without a lock would be a great choice, if only just to fulfill a dream of owning one.

Wish I had a picture of that Sokol 'bodyguard' so you could see why I liked it so much.

OldSchooler
September 24, 2006, 11:27 AM
I cant believe this thread is still going on! Shows how favored the little subbies are.

In my last post, I mentioned a Charter Arms Police Undercover as being the only snub I had (I believe they are back in production as simply, "The Undercover," now). I got it back in my FFL days and have had it ever since.

But last week, I got an unfired Taurus model 85, from a guy I work with. A box of Winchester 125 +P and a box or Remington 158 LRN's were thrown. I didnt "need" another gun, so I wasnt really invested; the wholesaler in me came out. I offered $175 - - he accepted. I couldnt turn it down.

Normally, I like compact 9MM's, but that Taurus is a nice little piece. Light and easy to conceal in my favorite position, strongside IWB, it is rated +P and comes with decent rubber grips - although I will be on the lookout for some finger-groove wood ones, as I prefer them.

I really can see where these little wheelies could be addicting to collect. I favor a mid size frame in a revolver, but the little Taurus is starting to grow on me. 5 shots of potent sock-em, where most encounters are ended with less than that and a time tested, easy to live with design...well, I really am starting to like them more and more. One day I'd like to get a snubbed .357 and a Bulldog in .44 Special ....

VA27
September 24, 2006, 11:55 PM
342. SP101. My other isn't a snub-nose, it's a snub-butt. Model 60-18, with the 5" barrel, carries like a snub, shoots like a rifle.

Gewehr98
September 25, 2006, 12:20 AM
But I am quite tickled with my early 1960's S&W Model 36, and even more so with my 3" L-Frame 696 in .44 Special.

http://mauser98.com/696altamontleft1.jpg

z_biker
September 28, 2006, 12:50 PM
The S&W 625 .45ACP 3", Redhawk .44mag, 2 3/4". and a Colt .38 Sp. Diamondback 2 1/2".

I had some very special snubbies, factory/custom creations, over the years but youth got the better of me. Should have kept them!

z

Jim PHL
September 29, 2006, 07:03 PM
Actually, a 342 is my favorite, not the 642! A couple of ounces really does make a difference when you consider this is strictly a pocket gun. If mode of dress permits belt carry, I have better choices than a .38 snub.

My second favorite is my recently acquired model 60. I have long wanted one and am so glad I got it. They really do have a true classic look and feel to them. I wanted one for a very long time without ever really handling one. When I finally got it, it felt exactly how I knew it would. (it was the same way with my first 1911.)

Huddog
September 29, 2006, 11:34 PM
My 642 is my daily carry, however my other snubby is the mdl 49 Nickle I carried as a bug to whatever I was issued during the 12 years of street duty. Got heavy on the ankle but was always there.

hank327
September 30, 2006, 11:54 AM
2.5" S&W Model 19.

JMag
September 30, 2006, 02:57 PM
I owned a 642 briefly; sold it, as I just did not like the handling of the thing. This week I landed an almost pristine Colt Detective Special in nickel...the epitomy of what a snub-nose .38 was and is, IMO.

10-Ring
September 30, 2006, 09:55 PM
I've got a mod 60 38 special too...love that gun...pre- +p, pre- 357 mag, pre-internal lock....sweet!

Bronco45
October 1, 2006, 12:53 AM
If I had the ability to post photos I would show you my Colt Python 2.5" bbl that is blued and sporting a set of Ivory grips and a blue Tyler t grip.:)

Don't carry or shoot it much as I prefer a Ruger SP 2.25" 357 as a walkaround gun.

I'm afraid something will happen to the Colt; like a scratch or a confiscation.

OldSchooler
October 1, 2006, 08:33 AM
I'm afraid something will happen to the Colt; like a scratch or a confiscation.

Hmm, thats interesting. Why would you fear confiscation, yet not mention incarceration, as well?

Socrates
October 1, 2006, 09:26 AM
THE BEAST:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/Socrates28/Model%2083%20FA%20475/360and475.jpg

It's the 360 PD, on the bottom, now sporting a bobbed hammer. Weighs about 14 oz loaded.

S

Ala Dan
October 1, 2006, 03:47 PM
I was offered a pristine blued S&W model 38 Airweight Bodyguard on trade
yesterday with a set of Crimson Trace laser grips; but we couldn't arrive
at a price that suited both parties. It sure looked really nice, but was w/o
box, docs, and tools.:(

If you enjoyed reading about "Other Than A Smith & Wesson Model 642, Your NEXT Favorite Snub Nose Revolver Is ----?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!