Well, I blew it!

PDA

tuckerdog1
June 21, 2006, 05:15 PM
I've wanted a S&W 638 for years. But whenever I had the dough, something else was always at the top of the "want list". So last month I'm at the gun show, and there are several 638s scattered around at different tables. All about the average price $340 + or -. This is not an issue that day, as money is a little tight & I'm just there to look or pick up some trinkets. Then I come across a NIB 638 tagged at $268. Do I say to myself " Skip lunches for a few days, and get it." Nooooo. I say come back next month and see if they're still selling 'em for $268. Well, back to the show this month, money in pocket, fingers crossed. Tagged $339 :( . Guess I fit my signature below.

Oh well, went to another table & picked up a new Mossy 12GA. Been wanting one of those too.

Tuckerdog1

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, I blew it!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atlctyslkr
June 21, 2006, 05:34 PM
I would eat Ramen noodles to get a gun I wanted.

1 old 0311
June 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
At the last gun show I saw a unfired, mint Mosin M38 with matching numbers #111. Came back 10 minutes later and it was gone. Snooze, loose.:(

Kevin

HighVelocity
June 21, 2006, 07:06 PM
That's rotten luck but don't feel like the lone ranger. I for one have done pretty much the same thing. :banghead:

orionengnr
June 21, 2006, 08:59 PM
to "think about it" and come back, I usually lose out.

Your first instinct is probably correct--if you think it's a good deal, you are very likely right. The amount of money I have lost on impulse purchases through the years is very small. The regret I carry having missed out on just a few others is, proportionately, much larger.

If I buy something I want for a decent price, shoot it and decide I want something else, then my "ownership experience" (education) may cost me $25-$50...and usually less than that. Truthfully, I have drank away that much in an evening with nothing to show for it but a headache :) Frequently I can sell it for what I paid, and I disregard tax/transfer fees, BTW, although you may not.

This is FAR less than an equivalent ill-advised dalliance with an automobile or a bride :uhoh:

Bottom line: I have owned, shot and sold a decent number of pistols without severe financial pain. Oh, and just today I jumped on a CZ O/U 12 ga. shotty--impulse buy, but I doubt that I will regret it...

aaronrkelly
June 23, 2006, 01:07 PM
For once in my life I have found myself with some money in the bank - these crazy things called "savings accounts" that have alluded me for years. It isnt alot of money but its enough that when I find a deal like that I can "borrow" money from myself and pay it back later.

The key is to convince yourself to pay it back before needing to "borrow" again...... :evil:

leadcounsel
June 23, 2006, 03:40 PM
I am kicking myself too for a great gun deal. Saw a GP100 SS in great condition for $250 and passed it up. It's long gone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, I blew it!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!