is it legal to import a C&R handgun?

PDA

Rufus Pisanus
June 21, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hi, I have a question for the legal experts... recently in Italy I saw a number of historically interesting handguns for reasonable prices. Suppose that I wanted to buy a Glisenti 1910 semi-auto pistol. According to a gun shop owner there, having it shipped to the US would be no problem from the Italian side. However, based on what I understood from the ATF site, I have the impression that it would be essentially impossible on our side. The Glisenti was a service weapon of an army and thus belongs to a generally unallowed category. It would be unlikely that I could prove that it would qualify as a sporting exception (form 4590). Am I interpreting the rules correctly? I have no C&R license so I would be interested in doing the transaction through a regular FFL (possibly without an import license).

If you enjoyed reading about "is it legal to import a C&R handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rkba_net
June 22, 2006, 01:39 AM
Individuals may not import firearms into the US (except for an exemption for servicemembers)... you must have an approved ATF form 6 to import firearms... any FFL can file the form (however most do not know this)... otherwise you need to contact a licensed importer...

see...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/feib/index.htm

solareclipse
June 22, 2006, 04:01 AM
just beware it can take them up to 6 months to process form 6...... :mad: :banghead:

FFL doesn't have to file it, you can file it.

Leatherneck
June 22, 2006, 08:49 AM
solareclipse is right. Form 6 and a C&R FFL is all you need. Don't know about six months-military folks get them PDQ.

TC

mp510
June 22, 2006, 04:38 PM
However if this handgun is a mil-surp weapon, then the 03 CR holder can't perform the importation himself. He would then need to go to an importer. If you don't have a C&R, you can have a local dealer do the importation for you if it is not a milsurp. Also, if it is a milsurp, you will need to be able to document that it has been in Italy for the last 5 years.

Hkmp5sd
June 22, 2006, 07:23 PM
The Glisenti was a service weapon of an army and thus belongs to a generally unallowed category.

Because it is a milsurp handgun, you must get an Importer to bring it into the US. A normal dealer (01-FFL) or C&R (03-FFL) cannot import non-sporting firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "is it legal to import a C&R handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!