Do you take lots of guns or just a few to the Range?

PDA

DMK
June 22, 2006, 02:44 PM
I usually can't decide what to take and often end up taking like four rifles and two or three handguns.

The other day I brought just an AR and a CZ-75. I had great fun with just the two. It was nice to only have two to clean also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you take lots of guns or just a few to the Range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smith357
June 22, 2006, 02:47 PM
It all depends on what is going on at the range that day, but I would guess my average is 4-6 guns. There have been times when we had a ladies day where I brought 20+ and others when I only brought 1.

Lou629
June 22, 2006, 02:50 PM
It was nice to only have two to clean also.
Bingo! We have a winner.
The older i get the less patience i have for cleaning a half-dozen guns at one time. Now, my version of clean may be a little bit more extreme, bordering on obsessive, than someone else's version. In any case, one is usually enough.

Ares45
June 22, 2006, 03:07 PM
Cleaning more than one or two guns is reserved for special occasions or newbie break-ins. I've also been known to run thru as much as 4-500 rounds of 45acp in one session. That's a good 3+ hours worth of shooting. Nothing worse than butch's bore shine + cracked and bleeding fingers.

Shipwreck
June 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
Usually just 2 - every once in a rare time I'll bring just 1. It's hard for me to swop back and forth on various pistols. Plus, I hate cleaning more than 2 :uhoh:

Rumble
June 22, 2006, 03:13 PM
Depends. My dad is just getting in to shooting, so the last range trip we took I brough 3 and he rented a fourth, just to try a bunch of different guns.

Of course, 3 were Sigs (232, 239, and 226), so "different' is relative. The fourth was a 1911, though, and he likey very much.

busterbrown
June 22, 2006, 03:39 PM
going to cut down to 6 this weekend. problem is too many calibers of ammo & 1 1/2 hours of cleaning after the shoot.

Ala Dan
June 22, 2006, 03:43 PM
I voted "two or three"; but really it depends on the mood I'm in~!:uhoh:

On a 1911 kind'a day, I carry nothing but that style of weapon. However,
on a day when I'm feel'in really perky I might just load up not only a few
1911's; but the SIG P220A, XD-.45ACP, the 6" S&W 686-5, and the AR.
The only problem with that is the fact that all the ammo gets very heavy
walking from the parking lot too the range~!:eek: :D

mrmeval
June 22, 2006, 03:54 PM
I have more guns than I want to carry to the range. That's because moving them is a chore and cleaning all of them would take a day. Now if I have friends and we have a shoot-n-clean party it's not as much of a problem.

taliv
June 22, 2006, 03:58 PM
i voted 7+ but it usually depends on how many new shooters i'm taking. most weeks i take at least 1 or 2, but sometimes as many as 5 (shooters, not guns)

i usually take 1 or 2 ARs, the barrett 50, the ps90, the H&K USC/UMP clone, and a 22 henry lever action

plus a collection of handguns (a 1911, revolver, some plastic stuff)

Hoppy590
June 22, 2006, 03:59 PM
i tend to take enough guns to keep occupied. normaly ranging the scale. .22 .223 7mm rem mag/shotgun

when ever we go to turkey shoots we tend to bring more guns then we need. 12's and 20's even a .410 for the kiddies

Rexrider
June 22, 2006, 04:03 PM
I voted 2 or 3

But....It depends on my mood and where I am going.

Outdoor range: Usually at least 2 rifles and a handgun. I go to the outdoor range to mostly shoot rifles

Indoor range: Handguns only. At least 2.

Out to the desert (BLM): Well...then its on. Muliple rifles and handguns. We make an afternoon out of it. You kind of have to because of all the stuff (target stands, soda bottles/cans, plastic containers, and such) we drag out there. And yes, we clean everything up.

j1133s
June 22, 2006, 04:20 PM
The range I go to in near my house, so I go there frequently and just shoot for a few minutes. Only bring 1 gun eavh time.

rchernandez
June 22, 2006, 04:26 PM
For fun, the whole arsenal...just haul the safe in the back of the truck!

For Bullseye practice, one at a time...along with a lot of ammo and replacement centers.

bdutton
June 22, 2006, 04:38 PM
Since I shoot bullseye I focus on those guns. It is rare when I take a rifle or non-bullseye pistol to the range. Usually just to show a friend how to shoot different types of guns.

dracphelan
June 22, 2006, 04:52 PM
It depends on several factors:
1. Am I shooting pistol, rifle or both?
2. Who is going? Is it just me, me and my wife, or are we bringing friends?
3. How many weapons have I recently purchased?
4. Am I testing new ammo or loads?

Depending on the answers to these questions, I could be bringing anything from 1-10+ weapons to the range.:evil:

Red Tornado
June 22, 2006, 05:01 PM
I usually take at least 2 pistols, and at least one rifle. But sometimes I'll take 2 or 3 rifles and 2 or 3 pistols. I may not shoot them all, but I'll always shoot at least 2 or I don't go to the range.
RT

LoneCoon
June 22, 2006, 05:56 PM
I usally take a revolver, an auto, and a rifle or two. If I'm taking a group of new people shooting, I empty out the cabinet to give them a good smattering of firearms types.

AirForceShooter
June 22, 2006, 06:13 PM
usually:

Usually

AFS

RyanM
June 22, 2006, 06:29 PM
I only own 3. Don't have much of a choice.

C96
June 22, 2006, 06:35 PM
I usually bring a 22 handgun and a 22 rifle, a 45 cal handgun, a 223 rifle plus
whatever ones are calling out to me. :D

allan

Stiletto Null
June 22, 2006, 06:45 PM
I usually take along the CZ 452 and either an SKS or Mauser; I don't have much K31 ammo, so it doesn't see much range time.

michael_aos
June 22, 2006, 06:55 PM
I really struggle with this one myself. Both "what to take to the range" and "what to take camping".

If I ever sell some of my guns, I think this would be the main reason. I just think its easier with fewer guns.

I've tried taking just one gun a couple times, but I've found myself with the wrong ammo, or have the gun break. Then the day is ruined.

I've also planned a day for exclusively pistol or exclusively rifle, only to arrive and find all the rifle / pistol berms in-use (whichever I was planning to shoot). Or I'll plan to sight-in a rifle and arrive to 40 mph winds.

I'm still a new handloader too, so I've always got a bunch of different loads for different guns that I want to run over the Oehler.

Lately if I'm going by myself, I tend to pack 2 handguns and 2 long-guns, plus my S&W 357PD which I always keep handy. I have noticed though, that I'll tend to spent 90+% of my time with a single gun.

Mike

michael_aos
June 22, 2006, 07:14 PM
I think I ALWAYS bring a 9mm of some sort. I've very fond of this caliber.

Typically an AR-15 also.

I tend to NOT bring a 40 S&W when I'm shooting 9mm, because I hate sorting them out.

I seem to shoot less and less .22. Mostly because I hate having to pick up 22 brass.

I just purchased a S&W Model 67-6 (38 special). Had the cylinder cut for full moon-clips. My plan is for it to accompany me every single time I "go shooting".

Mike

ewb45acp
June 22, 2006, 07:22 PM
Usually just two. A rimfire and a centerfire.

Chipperman
June 22, 2006, 07:29 PM
Usually three or four (which wasn't one of your choices), sometimes more.

Matthew748
June 22, 2006, 07:31 PM
I used to take a lot of guns to the range. I just don't have the time to shoot or clean a lot of guns anymore though. Usually, I bring 2 rifles or 3 handguns.

Twycross
June 22, 2006, 07:41 PM
Usually just two or three. Always my pistol, and then a rifle or two.

PlayTheAces
June 22, 2006, 07:45 PM
Usually three.

I've gone from "I wanna shoot 'em all!" to "Too dang lazy to clean 'em all." :cool:

Harry Paget Flashman
June 22, 2006, 08:05 PM
Usually 7 or more because when I go shooting I usually bring a friend, often a novice and I want them to have a fun day. Got to have the AK, AR, M1A, a Milsurp, a subgun, a revolver, several pistols, a .22 and a (7+1) 12ga shotgun. If I am going by myself it's usually either a handgun day or a rifle day.

Dusty Rusty
June 22, 2006, 08:33 PM
Pistol, AR, carbine, revolver, shotgun. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Plus whatever I can shoot at the range. That's anything from an full auto AUG to anything legal. :D

DMK
June 22, 2006, 08:34 PM
I've tried taking just one gun a couple times, but I've found myself with the wrong ammo, or have the gun break. Then the day is ruined.Good point! I did that with my 9mm CZ-75 once. I accidently grabbed my .40S&W CZ-40 mags and it was the only pistol I brought that day.

bpisler
June 22, 2006, 08:40 PM
I end up with 3 or 4 every range trip,my daily
gun and my wifes ruger MK II goes everytime.
I also take a couple of others to plink with and
i try to get some trigger time with my 500A.

taliv
June 22, 2006, 10:18 PM
i used to be part of the surgically clean firearms crowd, but i've discovered to no one's surprise, that i like shooting guns more than cleaning them. after reading some of the bi-monthly "DO U CLAEN UR GUNS??" threads, i've gradually slacked off. now i only clean guns that i don't plan on shooting again soon. the ones that i take to the range EVERY week, only get cleaned once / month or so.

ProficientRifleman
June 22, 2006, 10:25 PM
I had to bind myself to a rule several years ago. I now only take 3 guns at any one time. Two rifles/one handgun or two handguns/one rifle. It got to where I was taking 6 guns to the range, shooting for three hours and not getting to all of them. It was a sad situation.

Discipline is the key. :evil:

aerod1
June 22, 2006, 11:05 PM
I usually bring 7 or more. I have a philosophy that says, "if I don't take them I can't shoot them". I may not shoot them all but at least I have the option.

Chris Rhines
June 22, 2006, 11:22 PM
Usually only one.

- Chris

anotherinkling
June 22, 2006, 11:25 PM
I primarily shoot indoors these days and take a 10/22 and rent one or two handguns--whatever strikes my fancy.

Hokkmike
June 23, 2006, 08:51 AM
Depends. The AR consumes all of my energy so I just take one. A bolt action rifle and a pistol are most typical. Usually, I will take one or two. And I NEVER, NEVER, hurry. If some one else is shooting I can watch them for an hour before I even unpack!:)

ddj8052
June 23, 2006, 10:08 AM
I usaually take no more than 3. More than that becaomes a hassle all the way around. It take forever to clean a bunch of guns. Taking ammo for multiple guns also becomes a problem, mad even worse if yiou are talking multiple calibers. Now if I am going with new shooters maybe I will drag out a bunch of guns for the newbies to try out.

arizcowboy
June 23, 2006, 11:35 AM
It depends on if I go to an outdoor or indoor range. For outdoors I try to take at least two rifles and two handguns. For indoor shooting I try to take at least two handguns. I'm usually at the outdoor range a lot longer than I am when indoors.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you take lots of guns or just a few to the Range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!