The Long Nose of .gov

PDA

oldfart
June 22, 2006, 05:19 PM
:banghead:
My youngest daughter made a mistake awhile back and last week she had her baby. It was all paid for by private insurance and all healthcare for the forseeable future will be too.
But today a nurse from the County Health Department came by to see if everything was ok. She was a fairly nice lady and just trying to do her job, but when she asked if there were any guns in the house she got an earfull. Both I and my daughter are shooters and we really unloaded on her. When we were through affirming that there were indeed guns in the house she wanted to know if they were locked up and the ammo stored in another location.
Round two went something like this; 'I don't know where you live but here in 'Felony Flats' a gun is as neccesary as a lawnmower. What the hell am I supposed to do when a bad guy kicks in my door, ask him to wait until I can unlock my gun and get the ammo? There is hardly a night when there isn't some gunfire somewhere within hearing distance. I'm too damned old to try to go hand-to-hand with anybody so I need some sort of an advantage. If someone should try something while I'm gone I want my daughter to have the same advantage.
Yes, we have guns. Yes, they're loaded and no, they're not locked up.
Any more questions?':cuss:

So, how'd I do? I hope the language doesn't burn out the censor program but this was one time I thought it was neccesary.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Long Nose of .gov" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fixyurgun
June 22, 2006, 05:27 PM
Good for you!! An unloaded gun is a poorly balanced club(imho) jim

Roadwild17
June 22, 2006, 05:34 PM
No, it depends; an unloaded handgun is more like a metal (or metal/polymer:D ) boomerang.

WT
June 22, 2006, 05:36 PM
You did good.

And I hope mother and child are doing fine.

TallPine
June 22, 2006, 05:44 PM
But today a nurse from the County Health Department came by to see if everything was ok.
"Yes, everything is ok. Have a nice day - bye now.":p

Dave P
June 22, 2006, 05:45 PM
"nurse from the County Health Department came by ... just trying to do her job"

What the heck is her job? Why was she there in the first place? :fire: On who's authority? Maybe you should have told her to MYOB at the front door.

But anyway, good for you for speaking the truth. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt you, as in .gov removing the kid from your BAD home.

Dave

longrifleman
June 22, 2006, 05:48 PM
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=77937

Congratulations.

Grandkids are God's way of paying us back for arthritus.

kludge
June 22, 2006, 06:39 PM
This is actually becoming more prevalent (doctors, etc. asking if you have guns in the house).

Since when did healthcare workers become gun experts?

My response? "Do you have any healthcare related questions for me, doctor?"

Or maybe I'll just say, "Nope."

Mr. James
June 22, 2006, 07:12 PM
Ahh, superannuated flatulence, now you are in their permanent files.

Honestly, that is no way to speak to an agent of the omniscient State! Such impertinence will never do. No, not at all. Expect the HRT to make the next house call.

Jokes aside, I'm sure the lady duly noted that unfit [grand]parents are keeping a newborn child in an unsafe domicile. :scrutiny: :uhoh: kludge had the right answer.

But huzzahs, nonetheless, for putting the nanny-state minion in her place.

And congratulations on the birth of your grandchild. God bless mother, child, and you!

Gordon Fink
June 22, 2006, 07:25 PM
What the heck is her job? Why was she there in the first place? On who’s [sic] authority?

She was probably there to make sure the baby wasn’t being neglected, abused, or molested. Our elected representatives are just being “tough on crime,” don’t you know?

~G. Fink

Smurfslayer
June 22, 2006, 07:35 PM
I've instituted a policy I call "no warrant, no joy". It doesn't matter who it is, be it a county building inspector, cop, county health, state whatever... If they're not a guest, they're getting nothing but a polite refusal to even identify myself. If they have benign reasons for being there, that's another matter - "Hi, I'm officer Smith, there was a sexual assault in the barrio last week, here's a sketch, if you saw anything call us at this number" ... no problem. If I invite them, of course I'm with their being there... but that's it.

The only other exceptions are the local HS, boy scouts and Girl Scouts (Must have the thin mints....)

Don't be surprised if the write up contains words like separatist, gun nut, wacko or some such... Frankly, if what you said is even remotely close to true it might be good to have a lawyer follow up with them to make sure your interests are fairly treated.

v8fbird
June 22, 2006, 09:20 PM
Leviathan does not own your daughter's child.

They either have a warrant, or they do not. That makes dealing with the state simple.

Kim
June 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
I would find out how they got the permission. At the hospital where I work they say something like this to the new Mom " There is a program where a nurse will come to your home in one week to see if there is anything you need and we will check on the baby to see if everythng is O:K --------Would you like this free coutrsey call at your home at no cost to you?????????????? Doesn't that sound just wonderful. I think they only offer it to medicaid patients however. Your daughter might have just been given a form and told to sign it when she was having a hard painful contraction. I woud find out by asking the hosptial what their policy is... I would just have told her that her services were fortunately unneeded as YOUR daughter has a paid nanny who is a certified nurse. And make sure you look down your nose at them. But you did good as you told them what you thought. ;)

Rabbi
June 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
I don't owe the truth to those denizens of the gummint. I would throw up my hands and shriek and whine .............. "Are you crazy? Guns here? I am terrified of guns .............. that's why we have the police".

Just usher the doofus liberal bee-yotch out onto the porch. Don't reference your iron in any way whatsoever.

We don't owe the spinners any truth.

gc70
June 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
I don't remember anyone visiting my house after my sons were born, nor was there a home visit from the government when my grandchild was born.

What's the proper response to a post-natal visit from a County Health Department nurse? "Have a nice day." {door slams}

shooter94
June 22, 2006, 10:17 PM
That's highly disturbing...just out of reflex from living in California I would have said "no guns here...have a nice day." :uhoh:

Parker Dean
June 22, 2006, 10:41 PM
While personally satisfying I'm sure, I fear this was a huge mistake. No doubt this nurse left your daughter's place and immediately filed a report with the local equivalent of Child Protective Services. Perhaps they are even now organizing a 4am no-knock raid with the Sherriff's Dept. For the childs safety, of course. :)

Hyperbole aside, I would expect that you haven't heard the last of this.

oldfart
June 22, 2006, 11:09 PM
No, Parker, I don't suppose I have heard the last of it, but have any of us?

As some have suggested, my daughter invited the county to come by. I didn't know anything about it until she walked up on the porch. At that point I was left with two bad choices; I could throw her off the property and risk having her report me as abusive, or I could let her in and put up with her BS. I did a pretty good job until she asked the 'fateful' question, then I decided to throw caution to the winds and stand up on two legs. I'd already had a bellyfull of crawling and kowtowing in the ever more faint hope they'd leave me alone. I'm jusat plain tired of rolling over and licking the hand of whatever government agent happens to be reaching for my leash. I'm tired of telling them what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear. I'm especially tired of listening to them tell me what's good for me while they're forcing me to pay for their always-expanding "programs".

Looking back at the incident now, I believe there were several other ways I could have handled it, ranging from kissing her unlovely butt to killing her and burying her in the backyard. My stomach turns at the prospect of the one possibility and I don't know what I'd have done with her car if I'd taken the other. Fortunately, at 72 years of age, there ain't a helluva lot they can do to me. If they kill me they'll only do me out of a few more years and those years will probably be something less than what I really want to live through. If they come in and try to take the baby they'll have to kill me and then put up with my daughter who is a better shot than I am.

Edited to add this quote:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

My sig says it all.:cuss:

Hawken50
June 22, 2006, 11:20 PM
ohh man, you are soooo on double secret probation now!

alot of people say "just lie and say no." i say give them what they're looking for. they want the info for thier precious statics on how evil guns are. every "good" gun owner bends the curve in our favor, showing how guns are not really evil at all.

but yeah, double secret probation.

edit to add- oh yeah, congrats!

DoubleTapDrew
June 23, 2006, 01:31 AM
I am torn between both sides on this one. I have friends that live in "felony flats" and I agree with your 100% on needing to keep at least 1 loaded weapon close at hand. I am also sick of the gub'ment sticking their big noses where it doesn't belong. I bet most of us over 15 were raised with more and easier accessed guns but we managed to survive so the tools aren't the problem.
On the other hand your RKBA tirade may have been a bad idea for the following reasons:
1. It may have put you on some sort of "watch this crazy person" list or have child services alerted.
2. She may have been a pro-RKBA person and just asking the questions she is paid to ask (although i'm sure you could have determined that by the way she reacted so I doubt it).
3. Even if you convince her and make her see the light, what power does she have? At worst she's an anti that thinks you are dangerous. At best, she'll go back to work and launch into a pro-RKBA speech to her superior but neither will likely do you any good.

It does feel good to vent and let these people have "both barrels" :p once in a while. I hope everything's cool and that's the last you hear of it.

Gordon Fink
June 23, 2006, 01:06 PM
Looking back at the incident now, I believe there were several other ways I could have handled it, ranging from kissing her unlovely butt to killing her and burying her in the backyard.…

I suppose saying “That’s none of your business” or “Yes, we own firearms, and yes, they are safely stored” was out of the question?

~G. Fink

Sam Adams
June 23, 2006, 05:29 PM
She was a fairly nice lady and just trying to do her job, but when she asked if there were any guns in the house ...

If I were you, Old Fart, I'd have heard "...were there any Gunns in the house..."

...and answered, "No (thinking to self - this is the Old Fart House, not the Gunn House - stupid beotch). Have a nice day."

I know that it must be very satisfying to unload like you did, but as others have said, at best you won't change anyone's mind, and at worst you get on a list for being a crazy with guns. To me, what this lady did (even though she was "followink orrrderz" was a boundary violation - the Health Dept. has nothing to do with guns, so any answer you'd give is OK, including lies and half-truths.

I'll do the same with any doctor or other health care worker. Either that, or respond with, "How much money do you make?" When they answer, "That's none of your business!" I'll respond, "I like that answer - please put that one down on your paper for me."

oldfart
June 23, 2006, 06:19 PM
Guys, I appreciate your concern for my future welfare but since my future is relatively short anyway, I just decided to stop running up the white flag. I've given answers such as have been suggested here many times. Each time I understood that I had taken the "safe" route, one that kept me off the King's radar but which made me question my own courage. As I said earlier: I just got tired of it. I don't fancy myself to be of the caliber of some who have gone before me- Patrick Henry, Jim Bowie, Randy Weaver, etc., but I think I know how they felt. While this incident could jump up to bite me in the a$$ it probably won't. The lady's primary job is to help new mothers and their babies. If it becomes known that she 'ratted' someone out over some guns, she'd probably have to find another job since few people would invite her into their homes.
On a related note: I'd like to know how the rest of you feel in your heart of hearts when you speak the party line to deflect attention from your guns. Do you feel proud of your guile or are you a bit uncomfortable with your hypocrisy? I know how I felt for a long time and I wasn't real proud of myself. I may indeed live to regret this whole episode but I don't regret it right now. Believe me, that's worth a lot.

espanola
June 23, 2006, 06:44 PM
You did good, Oldfart. (You're right about the Poverty Flat area--you need a gun in your home.) You have to live with yourself, and being straight up about things helps a lot.
I don't spout any "party line" about my guns. I have the right to have them, bear them, and I follow the law concerning them. If I'm asked something concerning them, I'll answer straight up.
Meanwhile, I hope your daughter and new grandchild does well!

Standing Wolf
June 24, 2006, 01:05 AM
...today a nurse from the County Health Department came by to see if everything was ok. She was a fairly nice lady and just trying to do her job...

Not in my house!

If I want government to intervene in my health, I'll give it a call.

Jeff
June 24, 2006, 02:21 AM
It was all paid for by private insurance and all healthcare for the forseeable future will be too.

What does this have to do with the government?

mordechaianiliewicz
June 24, 2006, 04:13 AM
This is something several private healthcare companies are doing. I don't know if the company did this, or the gubmint. Either way, you had every right to tell this lady to stick it where the sun don't shine.

That being said, I don't know I would'nt have done the same thing you did. Discretion is the better part of valour. Granted, you gotta make a stand sometime.

(I think I would have been more inquisitive, then told her to stick it)

I agree with the sentiment that I want to see a warrant before I let you access to my house unless I want you there.

P.S.

Congratulations on the child Mazel Tov!

If you enjoyed reading about "The Long Nose of .gov" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!