Tell me about San Antonio TX

PDA

Remington788
June 22, 2006, 08:56 PM
Found out today that I have a job interview in San Antonio towards the end of July and I was just wondering about the area. Interested in (obviously) places to shoot, availbilty of hunting, crime statistics and any other items of interest. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about San Antonio TX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
calaverasslim
June 22, 2006, 09:14 PM
What's not to like? The heat, The heat and more heat. Starts in May and ends in Mid december. Thats the bad part. The good Part...

A very gun friendly city. Several, several public ranges and even some private ones. ! Local CAS club and 3 within ez driving range. Bunches of fresh fruit and vegies available. EZ to get around town. 1.4 million friendly people. Probably 200,000 grumps. Did I mention it's hot?

Sea World, Fiesta Texas(6 flags theme park) top rated zoo, World Famous River Walk, numerous parks, couple dozen Jr colleges, 3 or 4 major universities, couple more within commute distance. Great Mexican food, German food, Italian food and others I have not remembered. Top of the line shopping, resonable prices(by today's standard) at least one great gun show every month. The San Antonio Spurs and they are talking about a major baseball team moving in. The Cowboy's summer camp starts here next season. How about the heat?

The Alamo, and numerous other historical sites and a number within ez driving. Mexico shopping 2 hrs away. Oh, I forgot the heat.

There is oodles of hunting available, but it's gonna cost ya. You have to lease the land and it ain't cheap. San Antonio is the 8th largest metropoliton area in the nation and it is like every other metropolis, it has some crime.

There you have it.

Come on down

Those are just the high-lights. A bunch I have not mentioned.

04SilverSCFX4
June 22, 2006, 09:14 PM
Since you're planning on living there, definately set up your residence outside of Loop 410 and preferrably the NorthWest or NorthEast. The traffic isn't bad so a lot of folks will even stay in the burbs like Converse, Universal City...I grew up in UC and love SA. The crime when I left wasn't bad after the Mexican Mafia got the local gangs under contol in the early 90's. Apparently too many drive-bys were bringing in too much federal attn so the infamous prison gang arranged some influential hits and the city calmed down a bit.

Hunting, if you like dove, you can go to the southside and on Zarzamora there was a sunflower farm that would let you hunt all day for $5.00. You'd typically bag out in less than 10mins. Deer, you're also in a good spot. You can go west to Uvalde, South to some big $ ranches or up North to the Hill Country. Something you might want to know is that in TX, unless your a landowner/rancher, you'll be spending some coin to get a hunting lease. Not sure what it's like in Illinois but most leases run 2K and up, at least the ones I've gone in on.

Forgot to mention, monthly gun shows at the Airport convention center. Excellent barbecue, mexican food, shopping for the ladies and plenty of gun shops. Plenty of ranges too.
You'll love the city and the weather. Good luck with your job hunt and welcome to Texas.

Ohen Cepel
June 22, 2006, 09:17 PM
I have never "lived" there but spent about a year there.

Real nice place as the others have said. Stay out of the 410 loop as mentioned, the further the better. Nice open spaces.

Given the chance I would put MD in the rear view mirror in the morning for Texas!!!!!!!!!

Rabbi
June 22, 2006, 09:22 PM
Love that city .................... I proposed to my bride on the Paseo del Rio just about 38 years ago. She's still sitting thirty feet away from me.

It's a great place.

Regards,

Rabbi

Remington788
June 22, 2006, 09:40 PM
What's not to like? The heat, The heat and more heat

So your saying its hot. What's the humidity like?

Forgot to mention, monthly gun shows at the Airport convention center

Sweet. The job is in the aviation department at the airport.

As far as hunting goes, I'm mostly looking at coyote and other varmints since I would likely return to Illinois to deer hunt. Are the land owners more open to varmint hunters?

Thanks for the replies.

the pistolero
June 22, 2006, 10:16 PM
Also, some of the most beautiful country you'll ever see can be found north and west of the city -- the area known as the Texas Hill Country. I love my Piney Woods, to be sure, but the Hill Country is quite picturesque, with the Guadalupe River, the bluebonnets, the forests. I've never been to Kerrville or Boerne, but have spent time around New Braunfels and Gruene, where I-35 crosses the Guadalupe just about 35 miles northeast of San Antonio. I go as often as I can.

The San Antonio Spurs and they are talking about a major baseball team moving in.

Calveras -- I heard talk a while back about the possibility of the New Orleans Saints coming to SA for good. Any truth to that rumor? I've also heard that the NFL and the Saints both were "committed" to staying in New Orleans, but we'll see how that works out...

Welcome to Texas, Remington. You'll get used to the heat. Everything else about Texas makes it more than bearable. :D

hoji
June 22, 2006, 10:22 PM
¿Usted habla español? Si usted hace entonces usted puede ser que tenga gusto de San Antonio. Si no, apréndalo, como nuestro Governer está dando el estado a México.

If you can read this, you will probably be ok in S.A.;)

arthurcw
June 22, 2006, 10:26 PM
Just curious. I read the SA doesn't allow loaded Long Arms in vehicles by city ordinance. Is that true?

I live in Houstonische Demokratische Republik (<sarcasm> Houston for those not so fortunate to live in this free (WIDE)open city and worker’s paradise </sarcasm>), and don't get out to SA as much as I should.

distra
June 22, 2006, 10:31 PM
Beautiful country around SA. New Braunsfels, Fredricksburg, and many more very nice places. We lived in Houston for 3.5 years and "escaped" to SA and hill country as often as possible. Leakey and Frio River areas are spectacular! Yes, it's hot, but every place has A/C. Humid was too bad from what I remember. The Guadalupe river has a nice view in the summer time :D Those of you from/familiar with the area know what I'm talking about. Lots of tubing down the river. I was not into shooting while we were there, but I can imagine there are a lot of nice ranges. Enjoy your time there, my wife and I would love to be able to retire there.

browningguy
June 22, 2006, 10:36 PM
Don't worry about the huimdity, it's the heat that will get you. It's actually pretty pleasant in SA compared to Houston, humidity wise that is. Nice city, you almost forget how big it is until you drive around the loop trying to get to Uvalde to go hunting. You can hunt exotics (Axis, fallow etc.) year round, doe hunts are pretty cheap, anywhere from $150-300.

hoji
June 22, 2006, 10:41 PM
Lock blade knives are also illegal within the city limits.
Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
(b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
(1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
(2) On his own premises or premises under his control;
(3) Traveling;
(4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
(5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.
(Code 1959, § 26-28.1)

But don't worry, it is only enforced if they can't get you for anything else:rolleyes:

rbernie
June 22, 2006, 10:41 PM
When I die, I wanna be sitting on a patch located between Kerrville and Uvalde, watching the sun set. That's all the heaven I need.

Remington788
June 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
¿Usted habla español? Si usted hace entonces usted puede ser que tenga gusto de San Antonio. Si no, apréndalo, como nuestro Governer está dando el estado a México.

I have no idea what that means. Is spanish that important to understand there?

Lock blade knives are also illegal within the city limits.

So I can't carry my Gerber :confused:

MrMex
June 22, 2006, 11:19 PM
Just curious. I read the SA doesn't allow loaded Long Arms in vehicles by city ordinance. Is that true?

Never heard of this.

Hunting, if you like dove, you can go to the southside and on Zarzamora there was a sunflower farm that would let you hunt all day for $5.00. You'd typically bag out in less than 10mins.

Please tell me more about this, Ive been dying to go dove hunting but can't see spending hundreds on a few little birdies?????

arthurcw
June 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
No Locking blade knives??? I guess the SOG Powerlock is a "no no" too?

I guess that and the rifle thing make a case for the Kel-Tec PLR-16 and the SOG Paratool.

MechAg94
June 22, 2006, 11:40 PM
Texas has a preemption law. Counties and cities cannot regulate firearms.

arthurcw
June 22, 2006, 11:48 PM
what I should have done in the first place... And I'm usually the first to yell, "GOOGLE IT!"

source:
http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=11508&sid=43

Sec. 21-16. Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun.
It shall be unlawful for any person, other than duly authorized peace officers, to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on any public street within the city or in a motor vehicle while the same is being operated on any public street within the city.

I know we have preemption on CHL realted laws. Not sure about long guns.

Trying to find the laws on preemption... Found one source. The Brady Bunch. :barf: Not gonna trust that one! Someone please prove me wrong in print. PLEASE.

rangerruck
June 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
just so you know about the heat, typically , when you get up in the morning, the temperature and the humidity index are about the same! Sticky enough for you? You can allready fell the back of your thighs pulling sweatily up from the leather or vinyl seating in your house.

Travis McGee
June 23, 2006, 02:54 AM
I'll be doing a SA drive-thru in July, during our move from Kalifornistan to NE Florida. Riverwalk, the Alamo and Seaworld are on the agenda.

Smoke
June 23, 2006, 08:17 AM
Don't let all the folks scare you with this heat talk. If you ever get to warm just head up the road aways to New Braunfels and float down the Comal. It'll cool you right off.

SA has more good eatin' joints than most places. Nice country and a good location for day trips out around. New Braunfels (Schlitterbahn, Comal Guadalupe) Marble Falls, Uvalde, Fredricksburg (Beer and sausage for you, shopping for your wife) Kerrville....bunches more.

Show proper respect when visiting the Alamo. One of the fallen whose name is on the wall was a Parks....I'm kinda proud of that.

Varmint and bird hunting (or any other) can be expensive if you attempt to lease on your own. Cultivate friends that hunt and land owners and network it and likely you can get by with minimal expense.

You'll like Texas.

Smoke

Working Man
June 23, 2006, 08:30 AM
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.

So I could carry a 6" blade lockback? :confused:

hirundo82
June 23, 2006, 08:56 AM
So I could carry a 6" blade lockback?No, any blade longer than 5.5 inches is disallowed by state law. From the Texas Penal Code: § 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.and§ 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

Ala Dan
June 23, 2006, 09:16 AM
Its been many, many years since I've been there (Laughing:D Loudly):uhoh:

But, way 'back when (very late 1965 and very early 1966) Ft. Sam Houston
was a great place too be stationed. I did my corpsman (91A10) training
there, and got downtown quite a bit. I'm sure its like every other city
in America, and has changed with the times; but it still should be a
very nice place. As a matter of fact, early on in '66 it snowed in San
Antonio for the first time in 44 years. The only firearms I was allowed
too use back then was a worn out 1911 .45 ACP, and a Springfield M
14. I was a little bit ahead of the "black evil assault rifle"~!:uhoh: :D

arthurcw
June 23, 2006, 10:26 AM
Don't let all the folks scare you with this heat talk. If you ever get to warm just head up the road aways to New Braunfels and float down the Comal. It'll cool you right off.

+1

Or... you can come down to Houston for a few days in August and then San Antonio will seem mild by comparison.

22-rimfire
June 23, 2006, 10:47 AM
San Antonio is a pretty nice big city. There is a great deal of history assocated with the city and they have a wonderful zoo. I find the missons very interesting. I won't list all the other sights and so forth already mentioned.

For the oudoors oriented person, the best thing about the area is the Hill Country. The area northwest of I-35 between San Antonio and Austin is very interesting and nice. You drive around Texas and you see many rivers or streams that are entenched, always muddy, and moving slowly. Streams in the Hill Country will open your eyes to a whole new aspect of Texas. Get yourself a Delorme Atlas of Texas.

The Gulf and the beaches are accessible for weekend jaunts. Big Bend is a long drive, but it is a longer drive for most everyone. The country south of San Antonio will grow on you. It is really quite pretty in the spring.

ball3006
June 23, 2006, 11:25 AM
you don't have to shovel "heat" in the winter here.........the babes dress much nicer when the weather is hot..................no surprises when you peal off all those clothes the girls wear during an Illinoise winter...........and the best part, no Mayor Daley here........chris3

fortbriscoe
June 23, 2006, 12:17 PM
Remington,
You'll love San Antonio if you're an outdoorsman. I live in Kerrville, and hour NW, and one of the state's highest concentrations of CCLs, hunting licenses, and 2nd amendment supporters. It gets hot, but we have better air conditioning than any place else. Hottest day of my life was a really warm, humid day in NYC. I couldn't find an office, hotel, or restaurant with enough A/C capacity. We have plenty.

John 18:36
Jesus answered, " My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

jason10mm
June 23, 2006, 12:18 PM
The folding knife thing, while a law, has never been enforced alone. If you are minding your own business you can have it clipped to your pocket and walk past 100 cops and they won't say anything. If they DO take it, I beleive you have to go to the state courthouse and petition to get it back, as the law is technically illegal in the state of Texas.

Get your CCW ASAP, as it makes gun buys MUCH easier and we are pretty liberal in where you can carry. Just watch out for the 51% signs in resturants/bars and ignore the illegal "No Guns" signs, as there has to be a big honking 30.06 sign for it to be trespass.

SA, while a city with a large population, really feels like a small town to me. The vast majority of the population are pretty poor so things like theater, exhibits, and concerts are not as common as you'd think. We do have a nice selection of amusement parks but unless you can go on a weekday, forget doing anything but standing in line. The riverwalk, while initially a big draw, gets old quickly due to parking annoyances and overcrowding.

I hope you are married, as SA women tend to run large and fertile :P Better pickings in Austin.

Working Man
June 23, 2006, 01:05 PM
hirundo82, so it is miss worded below:

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length

BrennanKG
June 23, 2006, 01:25 PM
I too am trying to get a clearer picture about knives within the city.
Since my family is moving to Helotes should I look for Helotes ordinances, or do they fall under SA laws?

What about carrying a fixed knife with a blade under the legal length limit?

Thanks,
B.

res1b3uq
June 23, 2006, 01:31 PM
Not!!! I was born & raised in Tejas, love it, would not want to live anywhere else, but you do Not get used to the heat, you only tolerate it, some better than others. 'course I'm only 68, so I might get used to it someday.

GEM
June 23, 2006, 02:18 PM
San Antonio is a very pleasant town - housing prices are great.

About guns:

1. The city rule about long arms probably can't be enforced but hasn't been challenged. It was put in place to get gang bangers driving around with SKSs in their cars.

2. Never had problems with the knife law - every store in town sells them.

3. A gun faq - that extends to Austin and TX - www.krtraining.com - look for the Austin FAQ and match info.

4. Local matches - www.rivercityshooters.com - IDPA, IPSC. www.texastactical.net - a touch of a drive but it's pleasant for IDPA, carbine, three gun. The Bullet Hole and Cedar Ridge ranges but I don't have their info handy. So there are tons of handgun matches. There is plenty of shotgunning but that's not my thing. San Antonio Gun Club and the National Shooting something are shotgun places.

5. Stores, etc. - the aforementioned gun store each month. Big box stores:
Academy and Sportsmans Warehouse with large sections. WalMart for cheap standard ammo (Academy also). Stand alones - I prefer Dury's. Good selection, reasonable store prices (shows are better for standard items). Nagel's - lots of stuff - touch of an attitude and expensive. If you go to Austin - there's another wave of stores.

Bass Pro shop is coming - it is taking forever to build it and there is a Cabelas about an hour away.

6. Ranges - Lots of outdoor ranges scattered around the city. North - Cedar Ridge, Dietz ; NE - Bracken, South - Place to Shoot, West - Blackhawk, Bullet Hole.

We don't have a quality indoor range yet - it is debated if Bass Pro will have one. There is one small one that wants an incredible membership fee - so go outdoors - only problem is the heat at time.

The population has a large Hispanic component. So what. We all get along reasonably well. Bad parts of the city have crime associated with poverty. What else is new?

freedom and guns
June 23, 2006, 02:31 PM
is a great place. If you don't mind living in AZTLAN!!!!!!
http://www.mnforsustain.org/images/aztlan_map.jpg

arthurcw
June 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
hirundo82, so it is miss worded below:

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length

No... the state law gets you commin', No knives OVER 5.5, and the City Ord gets you goin', Nothing Under 5.5 that is a lock blade.

Like other posters said... I can't BELIVE there is a horde of folks being arrested for that. Just like in Houston where the Lord Mayor and his Political Commissars said that police are to send all people on "Peaceable Journey" to the DA and let the court system figure it out. I can't imagine that LE’s don't have better things to do than to confiscate guns from a guy from Beaumont on his way to SA with a wife, screaming kid, and trunk full of suit cases. I'm sure there are a FEW boys in blue with dilutions of godhood, but I think most will know when to say, "have a nice day and stay safe."

freedom and guns
June 23, 2006, 02:46 PM
you want to drive there you are in luck. In ********** you need one of these http://www.mnforsustain.org/images/aztlan_calif_drivers_lic.jpg

Working Man
June 23, 2006, 02:49 PM
arthurcw, thanks for the clarification.

Nice to see tax dollars so well used. :rolleyes:

arthurcw
June 23, 2006, 03:03 PM
Nice to see tax dollars so well used.

Yeah... we have it down to a religion in Houston. Not sure about SA.

OH! And those STUPID "no firearms" signs are up here too. I was told by an instructor to just not carry since you don't know what "IDIOT" (His words, NOT MINE) will respond to the "MAN WITH A GUN!!!" 911 call. I don't know if I'd go that far, but if the place has its own ARMED security that is not an off duty LE, I will opt for a pocket gun cause "rent a barneys" are usually not as up to speed as real LE's but they seem to just look for reasons to be important. I know Concealed means CONCEALED, but just started carring and not too sure about my ability to hide it sometimes, and a Rent-a-Barney with a gun that looks like it isn't skinned but once a year gives me the shivers.

Working Man
June 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
Well if the "no firearms" signs are not as required by the code than just
ignore them, otherwise find elsewhere to do your business.

As for the new guy carrying concealed jitters, hang around your family and
friends and see if they can spot your CCW. It will help alleviate the concerns
a bit. In time it will feel no different than wearing shoes.

arthurcw
June 23, 2006, 03:41 PM
Usually do ignore the stupid signs. But not when I see a security guard that has a weapon. I have no idea the level of training that guy has and if an "oops my shirt flew up" happens I don't want to find out that way.

If it's an LE, I figure even if he isn't up to snuff on the law, he's at least got enough sense to keep his booger hook off the bang switch... at least here in Houston anyway.

I think, on the whole, the LE's in Texas are pretty top notch. *shamelessly sending this thread back on track* I've not had any encounters with LE's in San Antonio but it seems from the posts here, they are of pretty good quality too.

Sam Adams
June 23, 2006, 05:11 PM
Remington 788,

You will like SA. I moved here from the PRNJ about 5 1/2 years ago. like that you have what is available in almost any city, but that the people have the attitude of a living in a large town.

It does get hot here - but generally not too humid (though we have our days). For me the hardest thing to get used to isn't the high temps of the day (usually around 5 PM), but the fact that if it was 100 at 5, it'll be 95 at 10 and no lower than about 74 at 6 AM. The A/C just never seems to shut off. But you can live in and get used to the weather. Its also nice to talk to folks "back home" when its 15 degrees, windy and snowing in January, and tell them that a cold front came through and it went down to 40 at night. I'll complain aobut having to wear long pants and tuck in my T-shirt, just to annoy them :evil:

Gun-wise, its as good here as I've seen anywhere. Get that CHL right quick (one of those phrases that you'll pick up here), and you'll be able to buy anything you can afford immediately. There are lots of ranges around the city, and many more just within just a few miles; there's one range (The Bullet Hole) that even rents full autos for very reasonable prices. Many stores sell gun stuff (Chinamart, Academy, Sports Authority, etc.), and the Saxet ("Texas" reversed, get it :p ) Gun Show is a great way to spend a few hours once a month.

I love this town, and I won't be leaving. Good luck with the job interview - we'd all love to have another person from THR living down here.

Farnham
June 23, 2006, 08:12 PM
I went against the prevailing wisdom when I moved to SA from California, and bought a place south east of town about 20 miles. Not as pretty as the Hill Country, but cheaper, and less likely to get "sub-divisioned" all to hell. Keep that in mind, unless you like sub-divisions.

All around, SA is a great place to live. HOT, but friendly, cheap, lots of stuff to do, great food, many ranges and gun stores. I like the Bullet Hole better than the place on the south side of town, and just started shooting IPSC at the Blackhawk Range.

I've had deer, wild hogs, and wild turkey in my backyard (unfortunately, can't shoot as I only own 5 acres and there's a house behind my place) and just a bit farther south of my place is the home of the big deer, if you can find a lease.

S/F

Farnham

Remington788
June 23, 2006, 08:54 PM
Get that CHL right quick (one of those phrases that you'll pick up here), and you'll be able to buy anything you can afford immediately

Don't tell my wife, she thinks I have to many guns already. Here in Illinois you have to wait 24 hrs for long gun and 72 hrs for handguns, which really sucks at gun shows.

Sounds like it doesn't get much hotter than Southern Illinois (where I am originally from), just that it stays hot a few months longer.

hoji
June 23, 2006, 11:50 PM
Sorry but you will wait at least 8-11 months for you CHL.
You have to be a Texas resident for 6 months, then 60 -90 { or up to 120} days for your paperwork to clear.

aerod1
June 24, 2006, 12:25 AM
For English press 2.
Too many illegal aliens in Texas!

TIMC
June 24, 2006, 12:47 AM
I live in the Hill Country between San Antonio and Austin smack dab in the middle of tourist land and I love it! Lot of good things mentioned about this area, you will like it here. Lots to do and some really great areas to raise kids. Crime rates depend on where you live. I have my CHL but I don't really worry about needing it. You will quickly learn where not to go. Housing is cheap and people are for the most part friendly. Lots of gun ranges and clubs, even places to rent full auto.
Come on down and Join us.

sm
June 24, 2006, 12:57 AM
They got a lot of nice girls there... - ZZTop

You gotta shotgun?

Dang sexy is a Texas Gal, Sweatin' in the Sun running a shotgun proper.

National Skeet Shooting Association

http://www.mynssa.com/about.shtml

38 skeet fields, and I forget how many trap fields.

Stuff is done different in Texas!

Dust 'em orange doggies! :D

Remington788
June 24, 2006, 01:27 AM
You have to be a Texas resident for 6 months, then 60 -90 { or up to 120} days for your paperwork to clear.

I was afraid of that. I think I'll look into an out of state one thats honored in Texas. I've never looked into it before since Illinois has no provision for CCW what-so-ever.

You gotta shotgun?

I got 3 :D (actually 4, but grandads old single shot is just for looks)

hirundo82
June 24, 2006, 02:15 AM
No... the state law gets you commin', No knives OVER 5.5, and the City Ord gets you goin', Nothing Under 5.5 that is a lock blade.Yeah, it would have been simpler if they just said in the statute that any lock blade knives are prohibited. But since when do politicians do anything simply?

And I still find it strange that there is a law outlawing such a basic safety feature. Sure, the UK did it, but you wouldn't expect to find such a law in Texas.

1911jerry
June 24, 2006, 02:20 AM
Thanks for all the good advice y'all. I will be transferrring to San Antonio next month, July 06, and look forward to enjoy living in a free state.

To purchase a firearm in Texas, do you need to establish residency for 6 months or until you get drivers license changed over or buy a house?

Any good gun stores for reloading supplies? Power/primers

Thanks and look forward to shooting with some of ya.

Jerry

hoji
June 24, 2006, 10:05 AM
You can buy as soon as you establish residency.
Plenty of good reloading places. Cabela's comes to mind right off.
Remmy, you can get a Texas CHL if you live in a state with no CHL{ you do}
When you come down for your interview, stay an extra day and do the class. When you move here, transfer it over.
Go here to order application or apply on line.

https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdps/TxdpsChlNewAppManager

Hokkmike
June 24, 2006, 10:17 AM
Watch out for the red ants and other critters. I stayed near the AFB so it was a little rough neigborhood. The food was great, sites to see, and living was cheap compared to the northeast. I love Mexican and Tex Mex food and culture, so overall it was great. Quite a bit of racial tensions in parts of the city, sorry to say. Lots of crime in some areas.

Vic303
June 24, 2006, 10:55 AM
NO NO NO!!! That residency rule was waived in Sept 2003! I forget the exact TX code numbers/law, but I moved to TX in 7/03, took my CHL class in 9/03, and had my CHL in hand in 10/03. The only reason I did not take my class earlier was I wanted to wait until the law had gone on the books in September 2003 regarding residency.

Harry Paget Flashman
June 24, 2006, 11:05 AM
I never lived in Texas but I was born in San Antonio when my folks were passing through. So I guess I have dear old Mom and San Antonio to thank for being "Texan".

BrennanKG
June 24, 2006, 01:48 PM
Vic & Hoji,

That's what I thought, based on what I remembered, that since CA has no functional CCW/CHL provision that I could go the non-residence route.

B.

Vic303
June 24, 2006, 04:03 PM
Brennan, I am not sure if as a CA resident you can qualify for a TX non-resident chl. IIRC, you must live in a state that has NO CCW options--I thougth CA was May Issue. However, if you moved to Texas to live, then you could take your class and apply without the old 6mo residency requirement being needed.

hoji
June 24, 2006, 04:12 PM
No it is still 6 months.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf#page=55

2006 handbook. GC §411.172.

BrennanKG
June 24, 2006, 04:23 PM
Bummer.

Oh well, it'll be worth the wait.

:)

B.

hoji
June 24, 2006, 04:30 PM
Vic you seem to have slipped through the cracks. Lucky. Just hope they dont retroactively penalize you sometime down the road;) .

Vic303
June 25, 2006, 12:34 AM
NONONO! There is NO more 6mo residency requirement. I'm gonna have to call TSRA Monday and get them to tell me what bill it was that Perry signed in 2003 that waived that. You can look at 411.173 and 411.172 and it is actually there--it's just in legaleez and it is hard to understand.

411.173(a)
The department by
rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility
requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement
established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this
subchapter if the person is a legal resident of a state another state or if
the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency
in this state.

411.172(a)
A person is eligible for a license to
carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period
preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise
eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

My emphasis. My CHL is completely legal as is my husband's. We even called DPS in 2003 to make sure THEY knew about the law changes back then, and they assured us they knew about it.

We MOVED here, and bought a house due to a job relocation. My license is a RESIDENT CHL.

edited to add: The bill was HB 1704 IIRC.

hoji
June 25, 2006, 08:53 PM
I posted a link to the DPS website.It has the 2006 book that I am currently studying for my instructors certificate. It says what it says.

GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY.

(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:

(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

C96
June 25, 2006, 10:52 PM
hoji - thanks for the link. Looking at 411.173 it says exactly what Vic said:

quote:411.173(a)
The department by
rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility
requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement
established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this
subchapter if the person is a legal resident of a state another state or if
the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency
in this state.

allan

Vic303
June 26, 2006, 10:33 AM
Looking at 411.173 it says exactly what Vic said:
That's because I pasted it straight out of Hoji's link...

And yes, I doublechecked the bill#, it was HB 1704.
:D

DJJ
June 26, 2006, 10:53 AM
I just got home from spending a week's vacation in SA. Traffic on the freeways is bad, and bad all the time. Drivers are just as aggressive about tailgating and cutting you off as anywhere I've been (including California), but they use their turn signals. :confused:

There are new housing developments everywhere, and the prices on the billboards are low.

It's a beautiful area - very green. Recall the scene from "Star Wars" where the Falcon is arriving at the rebel base and the guy is in the guard tower over the central american jungle. That's what looking out over the city reminded me of. Six Flags was stunning. It's built in an old quarry, so it's surrounded by cliffs. The bigger roller coasters go up onto the plateau above.

The highlight of the trip was taking my nephew to The Bullet Hole to rent a grease gun and a STEN. The guy behind the counter looked like he thought I was nuts when I told him I wanted 3 magazines per gun, each. It was kind of pricey, but how often do you get the chance?

Bullet Bob
June 26, 2006, 11:06 AM
My San Antonio memories involve basic training in July and August of 1970, wearing thick, long-sleeved green fatigues. No car as a trainee of course, so we walked and marched everywhere. Humidity, as I remember it was pretty low, as you would get somewhere with a ring of dried salt from your sweat around your armpits and lips.

Still, on my one trip downtown I thought it was pretty nice. Of course, time away from your drill sergeants would be pretty nice anywhere you were!

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about San Antonio TX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!