NFA Question: Is this a SBS?

PDA

ArmedBear
June 23, 2006, 07:31 PM
It looks to me like this is a NFA-regulated barrel.

Someone had it cut down for home defense, apparently, but whoever cut it down may not have been too knowledgable. It looks like it's 17" from back of chamber to muzzle, only over 18" when measured over the protruding part that extends into the 870 receiver.

Take a look:
http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/78/1c/0d_1.JPG

Opinions?

I'm thinking about e-mailing the guy and telling him to cut the barrel up and toss it out.

(I understand that the barrel itself might not be illegal unless it's actually on a gun, but this old cut-down barrel wouldn't be something worth getting into it with the full cavity search brigades, one way or another.)

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA Question: Is this a SBS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
musher
June 23, 2006, 07:34 PM
Barrel length should be measured from the face of the closed bolt to the muzzle.

isp2605
June 23, 2006, 07:36 PM
Looks a might bit too short. Who ever cut it measured the overall length and looks like they gave it an extra 1/2" thinking it would be more than legal. When you get that mounted and measured from the bolt face, instead of being 1/2" extra it's going to be 1/2" or better too short.
Scrap it. To save it you could mount something like a muzzle brake or a Poly-Choke to get the extra length.

ArmedBear
June 23, 2006, 07:58 PM
BTW this is an 870 barrel. The bolt fits into the chamber where the barrel is fat and a complete cylinder. The little protruding part on top of the barrel extends past the base of the shell into the receiver.

Hkmp5sd
June 23, 2006, 08:31 PM
Looks a little short. BTW, it doesn't have to be on the gun. ATF has decided if you can assemble the gun from parts, you are in possession of the gun. Not a good thing to have laying around with an 870 in the house.

Deavis
June 29, 2006, 08:00 PM
It looks to me like this is a NFA-regulated barrel.

No such thing. I'll buy it if you don't want it.

rbernie
June 29, 2006, 09:16 PM

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA Question: Is this a SBS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!