Need a schematic for a Winchester Model 57

PDA

huckleberry
June 24, 2006, 11:31 AM
I just came upon a Winchester Model 57 that belonged to my wife's father. It has been sitting in a closet in the basement for more than a few years. It is complete, but as you might imagine, has surface rust. The blueing is mostly gone, as it is well used, luckily the bore is clean. I plan to refurbish this fine old rifle, and have started to take it apart. Before I get too far into it, I would like to have a schematic, as I have lost parts taking things apart before, although with age, I am improving. I have searched the web, and cannot find a schematic for this rifle. Any pointers to a schematic?

Also one more curious thing. this rifle was made from 1926 to about 1935, yet this gun is clearly marked 1924.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need a schematic for a Winchester Model 57" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Haymaker
June 24, 2006, 08:13 PM
Family herloom......trained 4 generations of little boys, myself and my son & a couple of my sisters' kids as well:) . Dad bought it new with his first paycheck & USED it.:D So did we ALL:cool:
The bolt comes out if you depress the trigger & work the action to the rear of the breech. This (early) model has the barrel band pinned rather than screwed to the stock & would require correct sized gunsmiths punches to get off. never disassembled the bolt, just threw it into a bath of solvent & blew it out with compressed air. Don't have a Numerich Gun Parts catalog handy, but I recall a schematic in there. :cool:

chrisbob
June 25, 2006, 09:03 PM
they will send you one via internet for cheap they have schematics for almost any thing you can view one on their sight I think for free

huckleberry
June 26, 2006, 11:37 PM
But I have checked that source and cannot find it. They do not have a schematic for the M57.

chrisbob
June 27, 2006, 12:59 AM
Someone has it have you tried dixiegunworks they also have alot of info buy the catalog the new one isn't as helpfull as the one from ten years ago but they have alot of replacement parts:o keep looking you will find it if I do I will send it to you !:)

BEARMAN
June 27, 2006, 02:59 AM
I did a search of WINCHESTER MODEL 57 and found a few sites with info but no schematics. I found 1 gun that was in great shape and sold for $520 so it is not a cheap gun you should really mess with.. But it also looks like a fairly simple gun, do not try to take the barrel off and don't try to take the bolt apart. Clean the bolt in any kind of gun cleaner or carburetor cleaner then blow dry and oil. Or soak it in kerosene or turpentine then dry and oil. To remove rust but not whatever bluing that is left, use very, very fine # 0000 steel wool and oil. If done with the finest steel wool and oil it will usually only remove the surface rust and leave the bluing, then oil the metal parts and reassemble. Don't try to cold blue as it usually isn't that effective and if the gun has any value, cold bluing will really reduce it's value. As for the wood don't sandpaper any wood away, if it has been varnished or painted use a paint remover and the fine steel wool then use linseed oil or a stock oil and rub it in. The gun should end up looking used but well looked after.

huckleberry
June 28, 2006, 10:46 PM
chrisbob, Dixiegunworks didn't have anything either, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Bearman, know it's not a cheap gun, but at the same time...I don't plan to sell it. In fact I hope that my grandchildreh inherit it. Haymakers tale of a family heirloom warmed my heart, and besides that, these days no guns are leaving this house...unless through my cold dead hands.

But I digress, why, Bearman, do you say that cold bluing is not effective. Since I plan to use it...not sell it, wouldn't it be prudent to try to protect the rifle with a new finish?

I have it apart down to the bolt, barrel with the receiver. After cleaning the bore...mirror shine, I have soaked it in Break-free, and rubbed the rust off with a copper mesh and a copper brush. The only places still blue on are where the barrel contacted the stock. It has a nice dirty bronze patina...but I would still like to protect it.

BTW, I did find a schematic for it. I sent away $3 to Nu-Line Guns in Missouri, a Winchester gun repair center.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need a schematic for a Winchester Model 57" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!