Shooting 5.56 Surplus in a Bolt Gun?

PDA

pinetree64
January 4, 2003, 09:20 AM
I'm thinking about getting a Savage rifle in 223. I've seen some discourse regarding 223 vs 556. What's the scoop? I can get S&B ammo cheap for plinking, less then 22mag - which was my original thought.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting 5.56 Surplus in a Bolt Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
January 4, 2003, 01:29 PM
If it fits shoot it. It is not dangerous pressurewise. Be aware that military primers are much harder, and you may have trouble hitting them hard enough with a sporter type rifle. Also I have had trouble with push feed type actions and 5.56 ammo that is shorter than 223 to the shoulder deep chambering and the firing pin not reaching the primer. In 7.62x51 I have had trouble with it being "longer" than 308, and tight headspacing making it hard to even chamber. 5.56 has been just the opposite for me, it typically is "shorter" than 223. YMMV, just what I have seen on my guns.

Fish Springs
January 4, 2003, 05:06 PM
Pine Tree,

1. Chamber specifications, including the chamber throat have been described in a couple of Wolf Publication's articles as contributing to greater than SAMMI pressure limits.

2. Individual countries, U.S. included, are said to load 5.56x47 to greater than SAMMI pressure limits.

The other thing to consider is that the mil surpluss ammo may not give you the accuracy you expect from your .223 Rem chambered rifle. Does all of this make any difference?

I've only observed less than less than wonderful accuracy in my bolt guns when compared to my favorite varmit load. If I am time constrained for .223 then it is off to Black Hills for some of thier re-manufactured ammunition. This works well and is not costly.

I have not personally, experienced the chamber dimension/pressure problems discribed by some writers who's opinons I respect on a lot of other matters but, I have no great urge to chew up the throat on an accurate varmit rifle to save a few cents.

The Savage .223 and .22/250 that I have shot or seen on varmit shoots are very accurate rifles and will respond well to the best ammunition you are willing to shoot through it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting 5.56 Surplus in a Bolt Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!