Do you ever choose your guns by what caliber you can get easiest or cheapest?

PDA

kid_couteau
June 27, 2006, 10:23 AM
Hi All

Just wondering if I am the only cheapskate out there.

I tend to choose guns by caliber that I can easily get. Oh yeah I have a couple of milsurps like 7.5x55 and 7.62 Nagant but for my main use I tend to stick to calibers like:

.223/5.56
.308 Winchester
22LR
30-30
45 ACP

I find it is generally cheaper to buy 100 pieces of 30-30 brass then say something like 7mm Rem mag.

Anyone else like this?

Kid

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you ever choose your guns by what caliber you can get easiest or cheapest?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roadwild17
June 27, 2006, 10:29 AM
Well generally, the cheaper rounds that you listed are the easiest to get, while I tend to stick with the basic rounds, which generally happen to be on the cheaper side, the reason is to avoid any difficulties when getting ammo. Basically unless wally-world sells it you need to be able to re-load it.

AirForceShooter
June 27, 2006, 10:31 AM
that's why I'm in the market for a 9mm.

AFS

MikeH
June 27, 2006, 10:33 AM
Always. Unless you enjoy dryfiring more than actually shooting your guns, ammo usually becomes the most expensive part of the hobby.

Nathanael_Greene
June 27, 2006, 10:36 AM
You bet. I hunt with a .30-06 because the ammunition is relatively inexpensive and readily available. (The fact that the .30-06 has knocked down about everything on the planet doesn't hurt, either.)

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
June 27, 2006, 10:45 AM
Rimfires are a given, 22lr pistol and longgun. gotta have them.

For service-caliber pistols I stick to .38sp/.357mag, 9mm, .40s&w, and 45acp used in Ruger Security six, Springfield 1911 GI, Sig P239 chambered in .40sw, with an EFK 9mm conversion barrel and Sig 9mm mags. All bases covered,
in easily found/easily bought ammo in WWB, surplus, reloads, or bulk deals.

For longguns, a .357/.38sp lever action or a Pistol cal. carbine, like a Ruger
PC9, Beretta Cx4, or Keltec Sub2000 would be useful, using the same ammo as above.

For rifles, .223, .308, or .30-'06, in surplus, bulk, or just plain cheap plinking ammo. Not that I'd call a .30-'06 in a lightweight Mauser sporter a plinker.
at least my shoulder doesn't think so. :neener:

Smokey Joe
June 27, 2006, 10:52 AM
If I were in it to save money I'd just never buy a gun and never shoot any ammo. Also not have a car, never go anywhere, no movies, no dinner out, etc, etc. But fortunately, these times, while a little tight, are definitely not the Great Depression.

It's a hobby. You do what you enjoy. If you can't afford it, you don't do it. If you CAN afford it, then saving money should not be a consideration.

In other words, if you feel you need (for example) a .375H&H, and you can afford a .375H&H, then quit dithering and get yourself a .375H&H and be happy. And don't whine about the cost of ammo. And DO shoot it enough to be able to shoot it well.

Reloading helps a lot, but shooting is still not cheap. Well, relatively.

If I had all the money I ever wanted I'd have a personal airplane, and a couple of vintage cars. Now THERE are 2 expensive hobbies!! I'd have horses, too, except I'm not crazy about horses.

Of course, were I a zillionaire, I'd buy my own NFL football team.

But saving money on a hobby is a contradiction in terms.

kw5kw
June 27, 2006, 11:05 AM
Kid Couteau asked if he was the only cheapscate out there, and I am here to say: "No, you aren't."

Tiz why I bought a 9mm and practice with it. Shot placement is everything. Doesn't matter how big the bullet is, if you don't hit your target then it's of no value to you.

And, with a 9mm I can afford to shoot for practice. Some of the other calibers, I can't afford as I'm on a fixed income and no raise of any sort over the past 6 years--gasoline is killin' me---------expensive ammo would even be worse. Not to mention, radio gear... I want a $12,000.00 Yaesu radio so I've got to scrimp somewhere.

Russ

kfranz
June 27, 2006, 11:07 AM
If ammo price is a concern, .22, then 8mm, then 7.62x54 would be wise choices. Shooter firearms and ammo cost next to nothing for these calibers.

mio
June 27, 2006, 11:13 AM
Thats a guideline that i generally follow, if i cant afford to shoot it then its of no use to me. However I do on occasion run into a deal on a gun and buy it without thinking of ammo. Just last week i bought a .338 win mag and have found nobody in town that carries ammo for it so im kinda scared of what it will cost.

Model520Fan
June 27, 2006, 11:14 AM
Absolutely. Easiest first, and cheapest a close second. However, I do have a few slightly less common, for which I reload: 6mm Remington, 7mm-08, and .416 Rigby.

The 7mm-08 is not so oddball, and if I had known how accurate Hornady ammo was going to be in my H-S Precision, I probably wouldn't have bought reloading equipment for the 7mm-08.

Mikee Loxxer
June 27, 2006, 11:52 AM
I used to think that way until I bought my MAS 36 and started reloading. Now I choose what I buy based on the uniqueness of the firearm and it's history.

It is looking like ammunition could become scarcer/more expensive in the future making cheap and easy to find cartridges a thing of the past. With the end of the cold war and the 7.62 X 39 shortage I would be less willing to bet that there will be lots of cheap ammo in the future for us civilians. Also keep in mind that the international community will probably sign on to some small arms control treaties making it harder for us to acquire ammunition of foreign origin. Hopefully I am wrong but it is best to be prepared.

.38special
June 27, 2006, 12:44 PM
Kinda
I have a XD 9mm and a Taurus Tracker which i shoot .38s in. Both you can get cheap ammo for, yet both good solid guns. I reload for the tracker which makes ammo even cheaper.

However, later today i go pick up my new sp101 in .32, which is not easy to find ammo for, so i will start reloading for it to.

DoubleTapDrew
June 27, 2006, 01:04 PM
I do to some extent. It took me a while to get a .40 S&W because I already have 9mm and .45 ACP and .40 is just another caliber I need components for to reload, dies, brass, bullets, etc.
I love those PS-90s but the 5.7mm ammo is spendy and scarce and I already have enough rifle calibers to reload!

Lou629
June 27, 2006, 01:08 PM
I've always been a believer in keeping things simple. Years ago i decided that having a gun in every known caliber in the universe would not be cost effective for me, so i have kept my modest collection limited to the more readily available and inexpensive calibers/gauges. I also have at least two guns in every caliber i have. This lets me do a couple of things:

1) buy in bulk and be able to save some $ when the various sales are on in the stores. Since they don't all offer the same deals on the same calibers all the time, i can stock up on one, then another, as these sales happen.

2) use the guns i have the most ammo for and hold off on using those where supplies are tight or prices get too outrageous.

3) should there ever be some local or national SHTF event that may require it, i stand a better chance of finding a source of re-supply if necessary with the more commonly available calibers, sooner than i would with something more exotic.

HankB
June 27, 2006, 01:10 PM
Yes . . . but as a handloader, it's not so much cost, but availability that concerns me.

Take big-game hunting, for example. Frankly, I'm not overly impressed with most cartridges on the map - they really do overlap, and I don't see much practical difference between a 7mm Rem Mag, a .30/06, a .300 Win Mag, or a whole bunch of other rounds in this general category. Sure, you can nitpick and say "Cartridge X has 173 ft. lbs more energy at 342 yards than Cartridge Y, and will drop 1.2 inches less at that range" but . . . so what?

IMHO there are only two cartridges needed to hunt all big game worldwide - the .30/06 and the .375 H&H. And these will be available just about anywhere there's a gun shop. If you're in Zambia and lose your ammo, you might actually be able to find some in these calibers; not so if you have a .338 Federal, a 7.62mm Warbird, or a .500 Alaskan. (If you're a PH and may need to stop a charge, there's nothing wrong with packing something with a bigger wallop . . . but then, you're going to have plenty of time to lay in a supply of ammo.)

Now, if you WANT to use something else, something different, maybe even something rather exotic, more power to you. Experiment to your heart's content. I'm just writing what works for me.

sturmruger
June 27, 2006, 01:50 PM
I shoot mainly 9mm, because it is just so cheap to buy.

Amish_Bill
June 27, 2006, 02:01 PM
I specifically started looking for a 9mm AR because of the inexpensive ammo.

ball3006
June 27, 2006, 04:05 PM
it is the gun that speaks to me, not the ammo........I guess this is because I am a long time reloader......chris3

Carl N. Brown
June 27, 2006, 04:23 PM
My son has learned that one of my catch phrases
to NOT buying certain new guns is "That would
complicate my ammunition supply."

Jkwas
June 27, 2006, 04:48 PM
Yes. What good is it if you can't afford to shoot it. 9mm and 38spl for me.

redneck2
June 27, 2006, 05:56 PM
I usually pick common stuff. That's the reason I've got 10mm, 44-40, 45-90, 10 gauge and 357 Herrett:D

I can reload my 10mm with high quality full power loads cheaper than you can buy most 9mm. Reloading components don't care what case they're going in, it still costs the same.

The thought of buying wussy little guns just to get cheap ammo gives me the willies

brandyspaw
June 27, 2006, 06:05 PM
I've been trying to standardize on common calibers for the very reason of
being able to obtain relatively cheap ammo. Such calibers as 308, 223,
7.62x39, 30/06 make up the bulk of my rifles. I do have an occasional gun
with a more expensive to shoot caliber but even that ( 300 Win Mag) is
cheaper than a lot of the magnum rounds.

The place where I get carried away is with handguns, in particular with magnum revolvers. I have 44 mag, 454 Casull, 45 Win Mag and a few other somewhat expensive to buy calibers but all of it is reloaded for so ammo costs are a lot more reasonable.

Lou629
June 27, 2006, 07:07 PM
I can reload my 10mm with high quality full power loads cheaper than you can buy most 9mm.

I don't think so. The prices i see quoted on internet sites like Midway and others just for the bullets average between 0.09 & 0.12 ea., which makes just that one component more than i pay for a complete factory 9mm ready to go. Add another couple cents for powder and primer, and it's more still. Yet another reloading enthusiast who might exaggerate just a bit? Or are you buying bulk loads of 10K at a time?

carterbeauford
June 27, 2006, 07:14 PM
Price and supply of 7.62x39 was one mitigating factor in my decision to purchase an SKS. What a mistake that turned out to be.

XDKingslayer
June 27, 2006, 08:08 PM
It depends on what you consider "easy to find" ammo. It might be hard to find now, but when SHTF, there's going to be plenty of .45GAP left on the shelves for me.

Greybeard7
June 27, 2006, 10:13 PM
I think plenty of .22LR is a good idea, and I like the .45ACP and .357 Mag/.38 Special for availability, variety and affordability in pistol calibers. 12 guage is the easiest to find and probably the most affordable shotgun ammo, in any variant.

As far as a SHTF situation, I think the best bet is to rely on what you've got on your own shelves. I wouldn't plan on shopping or "scrounging" if TS really does HTF. JMO

GB7

evan price
June 27, 2006, 10:43 PM
I don't like to stock a lot of various types of ammo so I shoot primarily 9mm and 45 acp or else .38's for pistols. I don't like to buy new guns in wierd cartridges like 10mm or .357 sig because I like to think that if all goesto he77 I can get 9mm Luger ammo 10x easier than .357Sig.

olyAR73
June 28, 2006, 05:08 PM
Im in the .223, .45, .40, 30-06 crowd. I can finally set my mind at ease and buy that 6.5 Grendel upper now that Wolf will be making ammo for it.

It did my heart good to hear that our military will be returning to the venerable .45 soon too.
Shoot lots, gents!!!:D

RNB65
June 28, 2006, 05:13 PM
Sure. I'm not interested in guns chambered in expensive or hard to find calibers. If I can't buy ammo for it at Wally World I don't want it.

redneck2
June 28, 2006, 05:28 PM
I don't think so. The prices i see quoted on internet sites like Midway and others just for the bullets average between 0.09 & 0.12 ea., which makes just that one component more than i pay for a complete factory 9mm ready to go. Add another couple cents for powder and primer, and it's more still. Yet another reloading enthusiast who might exaggerate just a bit?Well, you're wrong. I bought some Speer Gold Dot 180's on close out at a local shop for $6/box. Primers are about 1 1/2 cents. I bought 8# of Blue Dot for $50 (screaming deal) and the cases were 3 cents for new Starlines (again, close outs and screaming deal).Even if you pay a lot for bullets, they're maybe 9 cents apiece and they're WAY better than milsurp stuff

You can MAYBE buy milsurp 9mm crap for that price, but I doubt it. Now, these are screamer 10mm's for my G20 and DE. A 9mm seems like a .22 after shooting these. Guys that think a 9mm is some kind of hotdog round have never shot a decent 10mm.

Now, if you want to shoot a 9mm, have at it. I can shoot my 10 for about the same or maybe less. Yeah, I've got to sit at my Dillon 550 for 20 minutes to crank out 200-250 rounds, but I enjoy it. Reloading is so easy, fun, and saves so much money that I can't understand why any serious shooter wouldn't roll their own.

newman
June 28, 2006, 05:37 PM
I didnt think about it much until I bought my 270WSM. Not only is it $35 a box for the stuff that shoots well in my rifle, but I cant get it everywhere. Thats why I'm changing to a 308. I'll come back to the 270WSM when I decide to start reloading.

yayarx7
June 28, 2006, 06:22 PM
I can get issued all the 5.56, 7.62, 9mm and .45acp I could ever want. So those are the calibers I gravitate to for my personal guns.

Lou629
June 28, 2006, 07:33 PM
You can MAYBE buy milsurp 9mm crap for that price

Oh really?
I last paid $5.48/bx. for a case of 500 new remington 9mm 115gr factory ammo last month @ DSG. It still didn't come to $6/bx. even when they added sales tax, so even @ $6/bx. your 10's are still more for than i pay for the 9's.

Reloading is so easy, fun, and saves so much money that I can't understand why any serious shooter wouldn't roll their own.

Maybe because it really isn't all that?
As for the cost of reloads being anywhere near so cheap in general, i still doubt that too after checking component prices around the 'net, but more power to you.

_N4Z_
June 28, 2006, 07:35 PM
.22LR

38/357mag

12 gauge

30/30

7.62x39 (still the cheapest .30 type caliber to feed, regardless current pricing)

the only thing i would contemplate changing might be the 30/30 lever, for a .357 lever. i'm also really looking hard :scrutiny: at the 24/47 in 8mm because the surplus is soooooooo cheap!

DoubleTapDrew
June 28, 2006, 09:44 PM
I last paid $5.48/bx. for a case of 500 new remington 9mm 115gr factory ammo last month @ DSG. It still didn't come to $6/bx. even when they added sales tax, so even @ $6/bx. your 10's are still more for than i pay for the 9's.

Bullets (reloading components) come 100/box. So he was paying 6 cents/bullet for Gold Dots (you DAWG! I paid $10 a box on sale a couple weeks ago). The thing I like about rolling your own is you can fine tune your loads for your gun and use the bullets you want to get the best accuracy and power. Good defense ammo (like loaded Speer Gold Dot) is around 50 cents a round at most stores I see. I went through about 500 rounds of Remington and Winchester factory in the .40 the last 2 weeks, now I have some brass to play with loading Gold Dots. :)

evan price
June 28, 2006, 11:33 PM
Reloading is so easy, fun, and saves so much money that I can't understand why any serious shooter wouldn't roll their own.

"Easy & FUN"??
WTH is FUN about the process? I mean really, I worked in auto plants. If I wanted to stand there and put the same blank into a punch press all day long I would be working there for $24/hour. I mean, if YOU like it, then more power to you but I personally wouldn't bother.

Let's see, gather brass. Deprime brass. Tumble brass. Inspect brass. Sort brass. Set up press. Resize cases. Buy primers, powder, lead wheel weight stock. Heat lead pot. Set up molds. Lube molds. Pour lead. Let cool, break open, relube. Repeat. Set up press. Add primers, cases, powder. Pull handle a lot of times. Gather rounds. Box rounds..... yawn.

If I was shooting a lot of rifles, doing a lot of competitive shooting, sure, handloaded is the way to go, but for general target practice, the $6/50 9mm Wallyworld stuff is fine by me. I value my time a lot more.

Let's see. I could take the two hours a week you spend reloading (probably more than that really) and put that into overtime at work. That would net me about $50. That equates to about 300 rounds of 9mm ammo. Plus it gets me more money for my 401k plan. Looks like break-even to me.

Smokey Joe
June 28, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evan price--De gustibus, non dispudatem est.

redneck2
June 29, 2006, 06:50 AM
A lot of reloading depends on the equipment. If you have to dig a trench and only have a shovel, it's a whole lot of work. If you've got a backhoe, it's a piece of cake.

In the reloading forum there is a new thread every few weeks about "what should I get to start handloading?" I always advise a good progressive. On my Dillon, I can turn out 45 LC for $3.85/50 faster than you can shoot it. Cleaning brass means tossing it in the tub and letting it run for an hour while I do something else. One pull every 5-8 seconds turns out a completed round. Changing from 45 LC to 22-250 takes maybe 3-4 minutes.

Yesterday I was in a gun shop. There was a custom .308, Remington action with a Shilen barrel and Fajen stock for sale. I asked the guy why he was selling it. He builds up rifles, develops loads, then gets bored with it and does it over. Isn't my cup of tea, but he runs his life and I run mine.

My shop is heated, well lit, and totally stocked. I can knock out anything I want in short order. If you want to go sit in a bar in your spare time, that's your business. You can play golf, or watch NASCAR cars go in a circle for 4 hours and end up exactly where they started.

BigG
June 29, 2006, 07:00 AM
Yup.

LFI_Grad
June 29, 2006, 09:28 AM
Yes.

I bought my Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum instead of .50 AE because of ammo availability and because .429 bullets are MUCH cheaper than .50 and are available in a much wider variety.

I bought my BFR revolver in 45-70 instead of .500 S&W for the same reason. I can easily load 45-70 to exceed .500 muzzle energy levels and the same weight bullet has a higher sectional density and ballistic coefficient. I also had a .450 Marlin cylinder fitted to it later because it uses the same bullets.

I also bought my Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull instead of .480 Ruger because of availability of ammo and components plus the versatility factor of being able to use 45 Colt in it as well.

I have a Lone Eagle pistol in 30-06, just about as cheap and easy to get as there ever was. I'm glad it's not in one of the short-magnum calibers because I can get cases literally 1/10 the price of some other calibers.

redneck2
June 29, 2006, 07:34 PM
What??? No one can buy milsurp for $3.85/50??? Oh, also, these 45 LC's would kill an elk rather handily if need be....

another reason to handload. two consecutive 3 shot groups

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/Indianaoutdoorsman/Gunpix-1.jpg

Lou629
June 29, 2006, 10:41 PM
What??? No one can buy milsurp for $3.85/50???

Don't think you can either. Again, after checking component prices around the net the parts alone add up to more than that. Guess you must make yours out of scrap metal you have in the yard then, right?

Nice thing about the 'net, anyone can claim whatever they want, but doesn't have to worry about proof. There isn't a reloader out there that can resist trying to outdo himself ( and the rest of us ) with his never ending stories of how perfect his loads are, how low his costs are, or how accurate his shooting is. The ones i've actually met have been far from that, and full of crap more often than not. Now there's a load they all seem to know how to shoot.

redneck2
June 30, 2006, 06:38 AM
Lead bullets were $21/500 last I bought. Powder runs about 1-2 cents depending on load, maybe a little higher for full power H-110/WW-296's. Primers are a little less than 2 cents.......do the math. These are Keith style 255 LSWC for my Ruger Bisley. About 1,000-1,200 fps depending on load.

I've found better prices locally than using the internet if you figure in shipping. I have no desire to cast bullets if I can buy them for 4 cents each. I'm fortunate that I have a job in sales so I travel a lot. I accidentally stop into gun shops as I go by and end up running across a lot of deals. I bought an 8# jug of Blue dot for $50. That makes 5,600 heavy duty loads for my 10mm. I have a good friend that inherited a bunch of reloading stuff. He gave me maybe 12-15 pounds of powder.

One shop had a big lot of Hornady and Sierra jacketed bullets for $3 a box(100). I bought 19 boxes. That means I can load 22-250, .223, or .357 Herrett for maybe 11-14 cents each. $2.20 for a box of high grade centerfire rifle ammo.

If you just want to go out and blow holes in the sky and make noise, knock yourself out. I enjoy accuracy and versatility of handloading YMMV.

June 30, 2006, 10:51 AM

No.

KC&97TA
June 30, 2006, 07:34 PM
This is how my M4-gery came about and I still haven't shot any of the Green Tip Ammo, but the stock pile still keeps growing, it's a mystery?

can't shoot green tip at the local indoor range or the steel out door range I go to... so the green tip supply has become a SHTF, Zombie's attack reserve

Koobuh
June 30, 2006, 08:18 PM
My father and I shoot quite a bit (around once a week), and will go through about a hundred rounds total easily, depending on whether we're working on technique or accuracy that day. .22LR, 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, and 8mm Mauser are the cartridges we use most often, and all of those are quite inexpensive and simple to get. I purchased a very nice Finnish M39 specifically because it could shoot cheap ammo we already had accurately, and bought my dad a M59/66 Yugo SKS for Father's Day because it uses the same ammo as our new kit-built AKs.
The only outlier is my K-31, and while I do shoot it occasionally, I shoot it far less than even my Ballester-Molina .45.

Old Time Hunter
June 30, 2006, 11:23 PM
Yes and No! Yes I buy unique (sorta like .375 Win, .356 Win, and .307 Win) but I can reload with parts from more common cartridges. My .375's run about $25-$35 for a box of 20 w/22gr Hornady FN Interloks, I reload them with 32 gr of H4198 and watch for deals on the bullets. They averaged less than $.25 ea loaded, chrono'd at 2200fps, out performing the factory stuff consistantly. Just picked up 1000 new, sized, primed .44 Mag shells for a buck and he threw in 500 new, sized, and primed .44-40 shells along with 500 .430 240gr SWC's and 500 210gr .427's. Loaded a few .44's w/9gr of Unique and they came out of the Black Hawk's barrel at 900fps and the Trapper at 1150fps. Figure I got maybe $.005 in each completed cartridge.

mordechaianiliewicz
July 1, 2006, 03:49 AM
I do a balance sheet. What do I make? What are my expenses? What are my unseen, but likely expenses? After I budget that, I know what guns I'm gonna buy.

I've already bought eveything I need. One of the need guns is 6.5x55 Swede. (I needed a bolt action with a scope for long range work, and hunting/target shooting).

Is it cheap? No, but I do more shooting with my SHTF weapons than this one anyway. Even then, I'm still looking for a .45 acp 1911, and a .308 bolt action w/ a scope. But I have a couple 9mm pistols, and a .223 rifle (so my SHTF stuff is complete and everything else is cake).

The one uncommon caliber gun (6.5mm) is nothing compared to the guns I have common ammo for. However with a looming UN ammo restriction, I have been hoarding ammo lately for which I will very carefully look for guns which shoot it.

Euclidean
July 1, 2006, 04:08 AM
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. That said(TM) I suppose my 7.62x54R is a bit of an indulgence as is my desire for some other, more off the wall calibers.

But really everything else is pretty normal: 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 9mm Luger, .45 ACP, .22 LR, 5.56/.223, 7.62x39.... pretty boring.

To answer the question, a little bit of both. I'm working very hard to get it where I only use three or four types of magazines, so I can stockpile them. But there's some great old milsurp bolt guns I'd like to have no matter how weird the cartridge is.

OldSchooler
July 1, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yes. And No. But, mostly, yes.

GW
July 1, 2006, 06:31 PM
I tend to choose guns by caliber that I can easily get.
Well its also the case that most of the guns made come in these calibers.

My only non-mainstream caliber is 300 Ultra Mag Everything else I can find just about anywhere

jes
July 1, 2006, 10:41 PM
ABSOLUTELY!

Stevie-Ray
July 3, 2006, 12:38 AM
No, or I'd have a lot more 9mms than one.:D

dmckean44
July 3, 2006, 01:19 AM
Yes. It sucks when you shoot something you can't pick up ammo for locally. (Shortages or a different story, I'm will to wait them out.)

Crosshair
July 3, 2006, 03:21 PM
That's why I shoot my Hi-Point 995 so much. I reload and have never bought 9mm cases and surplus 9mm bullets are plentifull and cheap.

massad ayoob
July 3, 2006, 07:18 PM
Heck, back in the '70s my gun club had a deal (through the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, I believe) for milsurp .30/06 at a penny a round. I bought all they could sell me, and THEN went out and bought a .30/06 to shoot it in. (Yes, it was corrosive. But boiling water to clean the bore was cheap. No, it wasn't match grade accurate...but it was "good enough for government work" and made me a better practical offhand shooter.)

Today, penny a round .30/06 ammo is long gone, but I still have that excellent rifle. And while I shoot all five gun categories of IDPA, I have to admit that I'm more likely to shoot Stock Service Revolver with .38 Special or one of the 9mm auto categories in large part because of the ready availability of cheap ammo.

minuteman1970
July 3, 2006, 07:24 PM
Cost of ammo is definitely a factor with me.

Moondoggie
July 3, 2006, 07:51 PM
I do consider what dies I already have when considering a new handgun.

I load .38 Spl/.357 Mag, .40 S&W, .41 Mag, 44 Mag, .45 ACP/Auto Rim and .45 LC. I also own a couple of .22's and a .32. I can always find a pistol that "talks to me" in the calibers that I load.

Don't own a nine, never will...YMMV.

My reloading/gun situation is the same for rifles...load for everything I own.

I can afford to buy my ammo at WallyWorld, AND I have the time to reload. I prefer to reload. Personal satisfaction...again, YMMV. Wife and I also bake all of our own bread...it's just our nature.

BTW, I average 200-300 rds a week mostly in .40 S&W.

mljdeckard
July 4, 2006, 04:39 AM
Generally no, but I did get into an SKS specifically for economics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you ever choose your guns by what caliber you can get easiest or cheapest?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!