most painful rifle you've shot?

PDA

carterbeauford
June 27, 2006, 11:23 PM
Disclaimer: I read ballistics charts for fun, so take this with a grain of salt. Of course my charts only stop at .460NE or something like that. Not really a fan of pain, but there are a few rifles out there I would like to shoot just to say I did it. My little .30-06 just doesn't punish me nearly bad enough.

I was looking at Wikipedia's list of calibers and discovered some of which I've never heard of and many I have. Have any of you pulled the trigger on a rifle that was truly painful, or a rifle that you would never want to shoot again? Perhaps an old bigbore double rifle?

on my list:

.460 Weatherby Mag
.50BMG (which I hear isn't that bad)
8 bore :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "most painful rifle you've shot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coronach
June 27, 2006, 11:27 PM
It is worth noting that the .50 BMG is "not that bad" because rifles made for them tend to be very heavy and have very good muzzle brakes. Try it in a guide-style gun sometime, if you can get a smith to make one for you. :evil:

Mike

PS No, I have not done that. I'm smarter than I look. ;)

m0ntels
June 28, 2006, 01:02 PM
I think a couple shots of a 458 Lott would get that portable howitzer stuff out of my system.

Randy

AmbulanceDriver
June 28, 2006, 01:06 PM
I think a couple shots of a 458 Lott would get that portable howitzer stuff out of my system.

No thanks. First off, I'd rather not introduce my shoulder blades to each other. Second, I'm really quite fond of keeping my retinas attached to the back of my eyeballs....

kjeff50cal
June 28, 2006, 01:18 PM
I was shooting my Mosin Nagant M44 off the bench when a fellow shooter/range buddy offered me to shoot his father's Winchester Mod 70 African (.375 H&H). I shot it in cold blood off my bench.... 300 grn bullets.... never complained about my M-44 again:D .

Fosbery
June 28, 2006, 01:20 PM
Far and away the most painful gun I've shot was a German Heym rifle in .600 Nitro Express, with a plain wood stock, no recoil pad. Ouch.

I never found .50 BMG that bad at all from a recoil perspective, it was just the noise! :eek:

rustymaggot
June 28, 2006, 01:28 PM
most painful rifle ive shot was remington 721 in 30-06. the butt slipped off my shoulder down into my armpit a split second berore firing. without my shoulder there to take the recoil the scope came back and whacked me in the nose. it sucked, but my friends thought it was the funniest thing ever.

an oldtimer let me fire his 10 gauge magnum double barrel once out at the local range. he would only let me do it if i agreed to shoot off both barrels at the same time. far as i can remember that was the best kick ive felt.

carterbeauford
June 28, 2006, 01:39 PM
It is worth noting that the .50 BMG is "not that bad" because rifles made for them tend to be very heavy and have very good muzzle brakes.

I read that .460 Weatherby Mag is the largest caliber designed to be fired from the shoulder. I assume most .50BMG (sniper) rifles are designed to be fired prone or from a bench.

Would really like to hear from someone who has shot a double rifle, I thought one would be cool to add to my collection till I found out what they cost.

KIMBER45TLE
June 28, 2006, 01:43 PM
Shot a Holland and Holland .460 nitro express a couple of times. Off the bench it's painful, standing up it ain't too bad. My Norinco Mod 99 12 gauge will put you on your keester if you shoot both barrels at one time with three inch mags in it.

pcf
June 28, 2006, 02:29 PM
Custom sub 7lb, 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. Recoil was exectional fast and violent. If I were describe the recoil of a 30-06 as a sharp push, then the recoil of that rifle was like a Japanese bullet train slamming into my face and shoulder.

I don't know if it's the hardest kicking thing I've ever shot, but the speed of the recoil definitely made it the worst.

MIL-DOT
June 28, 2006, 02:32 PM
not really a rifle, but.....years ago on camp pendleton, each in our platoon had to fire ten straight rounds of 40mm. from an M-203 grenade launcher mounted under an M-16. almost everyone tried to pass on the last few rounds, but they insisted !!

Vitamin G
June 28, 2006, 02:47 PM
The most painful rifle I ever shot was a romanian SAR-1... when i forgot my muffs! Three shots on bump-fire before i reacted enough to stop.

Ears hurt for hours, but the ringing went away.
Learned my lesson the hard way.

bigcim
June 28, 2006, 02:58 PM
22lr on a led sled:D

MachIVshooter
June 28, 2006, 03:19 PM
My .375 RUM. Pushing 300 gr. pills at 2978 FPS with over 103 grains of powder from an 8-1/2 pound gun, the calculated recoil is on the order of 81 ft/lbs at 22 MPH. I need every bit of the 4" or so eye relief.

Second was a 416 Rigby from a CZ.

My .50 BMG (Armalite) feels very similar to a .223 varmint gun (except the noise:what: )

Retro
June 28, 2006, 03:32 PM
Mauser K98k is the worst for me... 8 mm Mauser gave me a big bruise near the shoulder... 30.06 was suppose to be bad but it didn't hurt at all in a M1 garand... and .308 in M1A for some reason was a lot worse than 30.06... Didn't really understand why.

TaxPhd
June 28, 2006, 03:34 PM
Holland and Holland .460 nitro express

:confused: Does such a thing exist??

MrTuffPaws
June 28, 2006, 03:42 PM
I must be a wussy. Most painful, my Savage 99 in 300 Savage. That thing killed me. Second most paintul, my Mosin-Nagant M44. I still wonder how the Russians used that thing as a battle rifle. My shoulder turns blue after 20 rounds.

pat86323
June 28, 2006, 03:58 PM
ruger 44 carbine with the lightweight stock. It sounds stupid because its a pistol caliber, but start throwing those nasty 185's through it and your arm will be SORE!!!!

30Cal
June 28, 2006, 04:21 PM
.06 was suppose to be bad but it didn't hurt at all in a M1 garand... and .308 in M1A for some reason was a lot worse than 30.06... Didn't really understand why.
The Garand has more reciprocating mass than the M1A. Chamber that same M2 cartridge in a M1903 and it'll be up there with the 8mm.

I've shot some heavy .45caliber double rifles--the recoil is big, but slow. .338WinMag is a lot worse.

GW
June 28, 2006, 04:27 PM
Marlin Guide-Gun 45-70 firing Buffalo-Bore ammo

Benelli Nova 12 ga firing 3 1/2 inch magnums

hillbilly
June 28, 2006, 04:29 PM
I have shot some big rifles, but the worst for me so far has been an Ishapore 2A Enfield that somebody cut down into a faux-jungle carbine.

The lack of weight combined with the very narrow and steel Ishaopre buttplate made for a sharply focused punishing recoil that made the fingers on my right hand go tingly after about 10 rounds, and numb after 10 more.

It's not near as bad now that I've put a synthetic stock with rubber butt pad and a larger butt on it. I like to shoot it now.

I know, .308 is not a big round.

But in that Ishy faux-jungle carbine it was murder because every bit of recoil was focused into a narrow area that had only a steel plate for cushion.

hillbilly

Mornard
June 28, 2006, 04:41 PM
The Ruger .44 carbine recoils a painfully ridiculous amount.

though not a rifle, my Mossberg 835 31/2" was hideous.

my turkey H&R Pardner with 3" 2oz loads is bad, but not so painful

but the worst ever was a custom, lightweight .300 Weatherby magnum which I owned briefly. (and still bear the eyebrow scar from) :what:

pete f
June 28, 2006, 04:41 PM
It has to do with fit.

THE absolute worst kicking gun to me was a Heym double rifle in 338 winmag. I have a model 700 classic in .338 it is firm but not outlandish. that double rifle was made for my brothers boss, a big time world big game hunter. For him it is like shooting a twenty two, it hurt me worse than dropping the dirt bike at forty miles an hours. First shot, my shooting glasses and ear muffs move forward from the recoil. My cheek feels like someone kicked me and I am getting a fat lip from my thumb coming back and smacking me in the lip. I said some naughty words and he teases me into firing it again. I try my best to relocate my self so that the recoil is better taken by my body, Nope worse. shoulder feels like when you tackled the big kid in high school and all you got was his knee cap under your pad.

I have two 416's one a rigby in a No 1 ruger and the other a rem mag in a 700. both of those are nothing to me compared to that little double rifle...I would say compare it to one of those little 410 SXS's only loaded with a ten gauge.

My son is skin and bone, 5'9'' and barely a hundred pounds, still plays varsity hockey and baseball, just waiting for his body to grow into his skill. He is completely unaffected by recoil. At age 9 or 10 240 grainers out of a winchester trapper were just a kick for him. at 12 or so, 270's out of my N0 1 ruger and he would shoot all i could make. 180 grain loads in the 30-06 make him smile. But he hates the recoil of a 16 gauge A-5. He says it is the double hit, I never feel it but he says he can feel the jolt of setting off the round as well as the second hit when the barrel and bolt both slam at the end of their stroke.

My daughter loves shooting 44's and 45's in handguns, but in a rifle anything more than a 6.5 makes her decided she needs to do her nails.

Terrierman
June 28, 2006, 05:11 PM
The worst I've ever been hit was with a buddy's relatively lightweight Ruger # 1 in .300 Magnum from the bench. I'd been shooting .22 and 6.5x55 and just laid in there nice and relaxed like and touched it off. Split my forehead like a tommyhawk.

Sharps Shooter
June 28, 2006, 05:14 PM
I've never fired a rifle that would be concidered really monstrous and my buddy's .416 Remington Mag covinced me I never want to. There was something wrong with it - it was printing about a foot high at 100 yards with the scope's verticle adjustment turned all the way down. He asked me to take it out and shoot it to make sure it wasn't just him, a bad scope, or scope mounts. I shot it once using the scope and it hit, just like I'd been told, about a foot high. But jeez - I thought it might have loosened the fillings in my teeth! I went ahead and pulled the scope though, lowered the rear sight all the way down and fired again. It still hit over a foot high and by that time I was shaking quite badly. So I walked up to about 25 yards from the target, squatted down, and fired again. That time it sat me on my butt and it still hit nearly 4" high.
My shoulder was black and blue with shades of green for a week. My buddy sent the gun back to Winchester. I don't know if they just replaced the barrel or the whole gun, but I guess it shoots fine now. I"m going to take my buddy's word for it though. I won't shoot it again.

Otherguy Overby
June 28, 2006, 06:18 PM
There used to be some video floating around the web of some foolish people shooting a rifle chambered in .577 T-Rex. In most cases they couldn't even maintain a grip on the rifle under recoil. Much humor...

redneck2
June 28, 2006, 06:43 PM
I routinely shoot 3" copper solid slugs, 10 gauge, etc. A 7 mag is pretty lame, so this makes the final cut.

Absolutely THE worst was a lightweight Ruger #1 in 45-70, but loaded up to .458 Win Mag velocity. :what:
No weight, hard butt plate. I was young and in good shape, and the bruise from one shot was the size of a softball. Man, it brings tears to my eyes thinking of that, and I can take pretty good recoil.

ArmedBear
June 28, 2006, 06:48 PM
Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby Magnum when I was about 14 or 15, on a bench. The bench makes it a lot worse.

I don't know if I'd be as shocked by it now, but it sure did hurt then.:)

RecoilRob
June 28, 2006, 07:11 PM
Ruger #1 (seeing that one a lot here!) in 375 H&H. 300grn Sierras over 78gr of IMR 4350.

Recoil isn't really that harsh but the hard-rubber buttplate concentrates it ALL in a small area that starts to compain to me after 6 or 7 shots. (Much better now with the Kick-Eeez pad installed!)

Just shot a round of Sporting Clays with an EAA Bounty Hunter II (external hammers) using 23grs Unique under 1 1/2 oz 7 1/2's. Made it about 85 shots before reaching for the Past strap-on pad. It DID leave a mark...

But, the MOST respect goes to the fellows who used the M1903's in anger long ago. I had an A3 for several years that looked to be unfired until my friend talked me out of it. He was going to shoot it and wanted me to have the first shots. Great friend! Three round group all touching at 100yds! Wanted NO more of the flat, diabolical steel buttplate wearing only a tee shirt. Thems were MEN back in those days....

Oldnamvet
June 28, 2006, 07:57 PM
My Ruger lever action .44 mag with 300 gr XTPs murders me from the bench. Not bad when standing.

Biggest I've ever read about is the .700 Nitro Express. Shoots a 1000 grain solid with a muzzle velocity of 2000 fps. The relative recoil factor is 9.00 :what: .
As a point of reference, the relative recoil factor for a .375 H&H is 3.42. I'd think there would be a broken shoulder for me if I ever fired something like that.

FIGURING RECOIL
You can calculate recoil kinetic energy with Sir Isaac Newton's formula: KE = MV2 / GC, where M is a rifle's mass and V is velocity. GC is a gravitational constant: 64.32.
Gas velocity and bullet velocity both affect recoil because there's a reaction when the gas leaves, just as when the bullet leaves. Gas velocity averages 5,200 fps
The velocity portion of the formula is: V = bullet velocity x (bullet weight / 7,000) + powder gas velocity x (powder weight / 7,000)
Bullet weight and powder weight are measured in grains, and the 7,000 denominator simply converts grains to pounds. Bullet velocity and gas velocity are in feet per second. To get powder charges for factory ammo, you'll have to pull a bullet and weigh the charge.
If we start to plug in numbers, using an 8.5-pound gun (M=8.5) and a 180-grain bullet fired at 3,000 fps from a .300 Win. Mag. loaded with 70 grains of powder, you'd get:
8.5(V) = 3,000(180/7,000) + 5,200 (70/7,000)
V = (77.143 + 52) / 8.5
V = 15.19 fps
If we plug the V value into Newton's formula, KE = MV2 / GC, the result looks like this: 8.5 (15.19)2 / 64.32 = 30.49 foot-pounds of recoil.
Or you could pick up a copy of Bob Forker's excellent book, Ammo & Ballistics II (Safari Press, 714/894-9080, www.safari press.com), in which he gives a Relative Recoil Factor for about any factory cartridge you could want. Following are some examples.

CALIBER RELATIVE RECOIL FACTOR
.223 Rem. 0.80
.243 Win. 1.25
.30-30 Win. 1.60
.270 Win. 1.82
.308 Win. 1.95
7mm Rem. Mag. 2.06
.30-06 2.19
.300 WSM 2.36
.300 Win. Mag 2.39
.45-70 Govt. 2.43
.300 Win. Ultra Mag 2.64
.338 Win. Mag 2.93
.375 H&H Mag. 3.42
.416 Rem. Mag. 4.32
.458 Win. Mag. 4.36
These numbers are what they say they are: relative. Aside from bullet weight, gun weight, stock shape and other considerations, the faster the recoil, the sharper it feels to you--a punch compared to a shove from a cartridge that recoils with less velocity.

Dionysusigma
June 28, 2006, 08:12 PM
The first shot I ever fired from my M-44... :eek: :cuss:

But for some reason, every rifle fired since then (and even every subsequent shot from that one) wasn't so bad. :confused:

50 Freak
June 28, 2006, 08:28 PM
20 pound bolt action 50 bmg without a muzzle brake.

Two to three rounds and that left a big black and blue bruise on your shoulder.

Black Snowman
June 28, 2006, 08:33 PM
Winchester model 70 458 Win Mag guide gun, from a bench, with a good recoil pad on it, and wearing a recoil absorbing pad as well. Still hurt. Wasn't bad standing, but brutal from the bench.

Kymasabe
June 28, 2006, 08:36 PM
My Mosin M44 carbines with the steel butt plate....bone crushers for sure.

osteodoc08
June 28, 2006, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't describe it as painful, because I loved to shoot it, but the one with the most recoil was a 375 H&H my father had. I want to say it was a Sako, but I really don't remember. It was a beautiful rifle.

oneshooter
June 28, 2006, 09:25 PM
A 450/577 Martini-Henry carbine w/18"bbl. Load was a 500gr cast RN w/85gr of Goex 2fg. Rifle weighed all of 7lb!! A lot of fire in the dark!!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Skofnung
June 28, 2006, 11:21 PM
An Enfield Jungle Carbine from prone with a friend's rather warm hunting handloads. It wasn't the biggest, nor the loudest, but it was the most painful.

gezzer
June 28, 2006, 11:39 PM
2 of about the same,

Ithaca Model66 slug gun 12 gauge with 3" buckshot. gun weighed 6 1/2 pounds 1 shot was enough forever.

FN mauser sears model 50 30/06. Bought at a pawn shop for 50 bucks great deal. The former owner had put a recoil pad on it, found out later glued and screwed. One problem the idiot screwed the screws in about 1/8" below the surface of the pad. 1 shot was also enough, the screw heads broke the skin and BLEED! I think it also bruiesed the bone.

AJAX22
June 29, 2006, 02:06 AM
two guns kind of vie for the title,

one was a double 12 gauge coach gun cut off at 18.5, I let fly with a magnum load of remmington duplex, it suprised me with the kick and I squeezed the second round on accident, wowza that sucked, I wasn't prepared for it.

the other is my baby a enfield .303 silloute pistol called "the reckoning"

it has an interesting habbit of raising the dust a foot or so off of the ground in a V pattern when its shot. the muzzle slap standing next to it is wicked. and if you're not prepared for the recoil, it can getcha.

I saw it crimp a silver ring onto the finger of a girl who insisted on shooting it.

Limeyfellow
June 29, 2006, 02:08 AM

Does such a thing exist??

It goes up to .700 nitro express nowadays. For like when you are hunting the moon or other celestrial body.

rangerruck
June 29, 2006, 03:51 AM
i fired an old remmy mohawk 600 in 30.06. 16 in bbl, weighs about 5 lbs, pretty ouchy. then of course a mosin 38 with a chopped bbl, firing the 200 grnrs. glad a recoil pad was on.

Fed168
June 29, 2006, 06:15 AM
A .500 A Sqaure built on a Weatherby platform. Too light and very brutal. Then came the .585 Nyati on a CZ action- heavier but still a kicker.

Not really a rifle- but the Encore chambered in .500 A Sqaure provided an eye opener. Ouch.

Fosbery
June 29, 2006, 06:31 AM
"There used to be some video floating around the web of some foolish people shooting a rifle chambered in .577 T-Rex. In most cases they couldn't even maintain a grip on the rifle under recoil. Much humor..."

I know the guy who made that video/owned that rifle.

lawson
June 29, 2006, 06:42 AM
dad has a carbine built on a remington rolling block action in .45-70 Gov't with a 14" barrel. ten shots left a nice bruise. his .303 Savage 99 saddle ring carbine gets an honorable mention for kicking and having a skinny metal buttplate with a big fat screw in the end.

but the absolute worse was my buddy's Remington 10 gauge Super Magnum with 3 1/2" shells. ouch.

wanderinwalker
June 29, 2006, 07:54 AM
The worst feeling I've ever had after shooting was a buddy's .300 WSM. Three rounds had me wondering who whacked me with a baseball bat.

It is interesting to note that my new Encore muzzleloader probably has more recoil energy than that .300 WSM, but I can fire it for at least a dozen rounds without feeling too bad.

Edited to add: I had one of those Ruger 96/44 .44 Magnum rifles. Downright awful to fire off of the bench. Gets my vote for worst stock design in history. Makes a steel-buttplate 1903A3 feel pleasant in comparison! :eek:

zippo8
June 29, 2006, 09:14 AM
My first Marlin 444 that didn't have a pad.

Nhsport
June 29, 2006, 09:45 AM
When at the range and a "buddy" asks "you want to try a couple of shots thru this" watch out!
Ruger #1 ,45/70 summer time ,tee shirt,at the bench. Not shure what the load was but it wasn't your grandfathers trapdoor load!

Bullet Bob
June 29, 2006, 10:16 AM
.338 Winchester magnum in a lightweight "mountain" rifle. One shot was enough to tell me everything I needed to know, but I shot it 3 times because I was younger and was much more macho than today.

There are some advantages to getting older.

TaxPhd
June 29, 2006, 10:46 AM
Quote:

Does such a thing exist??

It goes up to .700 nitro express nowadays. For like when you are hunting the moon or other celestrial body.

I was wondering about the specific chambering. There is a .465 NE, but I wasn't aware of a .460 NE.

jrou111
June 29, 2006, 11:35 AM
My 18" 12ga Nova with 3" Double magnum 00 Buck. Even with a recoil pad it leaves a nasty bruise after only one shot.

I let a friend bump fire it with birdshot in it and snuck in a 3" XXmag for the last shot. When he got to the last round, it jumped out of his left hand!

He almost peed his pants. :D

GRIFFIN1
June 29, 2006, 04:58 PM
Here is a version of the .577 T-Rex video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bprlNBRNkA&search=rkelly)

The video shows two different guys shooting the gun. The second guy is better than the first.
Don't waste your time watching the second half of the video.... It's just some rap song with pictures.

3fgburner
June 29, 2006, 05:30 PM
Let's see...
Not a rifle, a smoothbore: .75 cal medieval hand-cannon, bazooka style with 140gr FFFg and a round ball;

M48 YugoMauser with Yugo milsurp 8mm ammo

1863 Springfield with a 3-ring Minie and 100gr FFFg

Handgun, a friend's BFR .45-70, loaded to the same ballistics as the above Springfield.

jman74
June 29, 2006, 05:43 PM
Off the bench I'm not a big fan of my .300 win mag. Standing it isn't so bad. Shot my uncle's .458 win mag and it didn't seem too bad, but that was standing. Wouldn't want to sight that one in off the bench...:eek:

GW
June 29, 2006, 07:57 PM
My 18" 12ga Nova with 3" Double magnum 00 Buck. Even with a recoil pad it leaves a nasty bruise after only one shot.

I let a friend bump fire it with birdshot in it and snuck in a 3" XXmag for the last shot. When he got to the last round, it jumped out of his left hand!

How does one bump-fire a pump shotgun?

kbheiner7
June 29, 2006, 08:02 PM
The hardest kicking rifle I've shot was a .416 Rigby - but it wasn't too bad.

The most stout recoil I've felt was a 12 ga load - very high brass and 1 3/4 oz of lead. If I wasn't shooting a single tube gun, I'd have swore I lit off both barrels of a double. :what:

jrou111
June 29, 2006, 08:06 PM
How does one bump-fire a pump shotgun?

I guess it's a coke/pop/soda thing.

Here, bump firing means firing the gun when it's by your hip.

Fire...pump...fire...pump...fire

Repeat as necessary.

jagdpanzer347
June 29, 2006, 08:12 PM
Steyr M95 off of a portable bench. That is one light little rifle, with one narrow steel buttplate!

-jagd

GW
June 29, 2006, 09:06 PM
Ahh
My understanding of bump fire involves semi-autos

byf43
June 29, 2006, 09:21 PM
Worst kicking rifle that I've fired was a friend's Ruger #1 in .375 H&H that he put an octagonal barrel on.
I don't have a clue as to what load he was using, but, I had been sighting in a new .22 bolt gun and this guy asked me if I wanted to shoot his rifle.
"Sure!"

From the bench, the first shot hurt. Tee shirt was the only thing between me and that buttplate.
He asked me if I wanted to shoot it again?
"Sure!"
The second shot brought a tear to my eyes.
"Want to shoot it again?"

"Not only NO, but HE _ _ No!"

Only other thing to compare to it was my old Mossberg 12 ga with an 18" slug barrel, shooting Federal 3" magnum slugs.
:banghead:

shooter94
June 29, 2006, 09:33 PM
My Remington is a real shoulder buster...20 rounds and I'm done. My 1903 Springfield service rifle is a sweetheart though...:cool:

gbran
June 29, 2006, 11:33 PM
I put 20 shots downrange in one setting and didn't even hurt myself. BTW, a 12 ga will swim inside an empty 8 ga shell. I was doing some service work at a pulp mill when I saw a hopper full of empty Winchester Industrial 8 ga shells outside a control room for a rotary kiln. This piqued my curiosity. The operator said the kiln was used to dry pulp and the 8 ga was pivot mounted and used to shoot goobers off the walls on the inside of the kiln. He let me rip off about 20 rounds. It was a blast.

gezzer
June 29, 2006, 11:43 PM
i fired an old remmy mohawk 600 in 30.06. 16 in bbl, weighs about 5 lbs, pretty ouchy.

I hope it was in 308 as the Mohawk is a short action never made in 30/06. I have a 600 in 308 it is snappy in the recoil.

ctdonath
June 30, 2006, 10:12 PM
Early on, my 12ga with slugs brought me near tears as it pounded the crap out of the skin over my collarbone. Once I learned how to position it and my shoulder muscles correctly, no pain - and now my muscle memory won't let me shoot anything in a painful manner. Even Jeff Cooper's "Baby" (elephant gun) and a suppressed .50BMG didn't bother me, and 500 rounds of .308 in a week through the scary-lightweight Steyr Scout left no mark.

The only gun that hurts me now is a pistol-grip-only shotgun launching slugs - as it tries to separate my thumb from my hand.

Farnham
June 30, 2006, 10:38 PM
I'm not a big fan of my Yugoslavian Mauser (24/47). Too light and a steel buttplate. Makes my .308s, Mosins, and K-31 feel like a .22.

The .50 BMG observations are true, I got to shoot a couple magazines out of a Barrett over in Kuwait, and was extremely surprised when the recoil didn't come anywhere near what the noise would lead you to expect. Felt like an M1A, maybe less. Very cool.

S/F

Farnham

grimjaw
June 30, 2006, 11:01 PM
I used to think the Mosin Nagant carbines had a pretty good kick, but a guy let me shoot his .300 Weatherby Magnum today, and now I know better. :o

I wouldn't call it painful, though. Just violent recoil.

jmm

GLOCKT
July 1, 2006, 12:15 AM
The most painful shooter I own is a Swiss K31.
After 10 or so rounds I put it away and try to get blood back into my shoulder.Something about steelbutt plates,what were they thinking?
I like it's accuracy,the pain afterwards I can do without.
The M1 Garand,SKS,and AR15 are a true joy to shoot besides the K31.
I've seen other monsters at the range.
I've been offered to shoot,to see the recoil and anguish on these shooters faces,I just cringe and decline the offer.

Splanchnic
July 1, 2006, 12:45 AM
Remington model 70, no real recoil pad, .458 win. mag with 500 grain handloads off a bench.

I actually lost consciousness for a second.

Similar to two .300 win mags going off simultaneously.

Twycross
July 1, 2006, 01:17 AM
Weatherby Mark V in .300 Wby Mag.

aaronrkelly
July 1, 2006, 03:12 AM
When I first got interested in guns I was at Wal-Mart and they were clearancing out some Remington bolt guns.

Hmm, I really need a bolt-gun.........which one should I get. Ohhhh, 7mm Magnum sounds awesome, I will get that one.

Mind you this was the FIRST rifle I had purchased.......with the exception of a .22 of course.

Got a heck of a suprise when I pulled the trigger......ouch. I think I fired that gun somewhere around 5 or 6 times. I promptly sold it to someone that could really use it.

Radmachine
July 1, 2006, 11:07 AM
My worst kicker was a Model 1886 Winchester carbine in .45-70. This model had a curved buttplate that you had to place on your shoulder rather carefully. Quick shots were out of the question. I think, by the shape, that it was supposed to be placed on your upper arm. THAT would have hurt!
The other bad kicker was a Boyes .55 Caliber AT rifle that I played around with before they became evil. With the muzzle break, it was vicious. We took the break off one time, shot it once, and replaced it immediately. The recoil was horrible. The poor fellow fired it off a bench and was promptly dumped on the ground behind the bench with the gun on top of him.

George Hill
July 1, 2006, 03:26 PM
.338 Win Mag in a Ruger #1 with a paper thin recoil pad.

Deer Hunter
July 1, 2006, 05:13 PM
3" 00 12 gauge loads from my 6 pound coach gun.

After that, everything else feels like a .22. Mosins, 5.5 pound .308s, everything doesn't bother me. The only gun that ever gives me a jolt is the 12 gauge.

but it is SUCH a flippin fun gun....The fire that comes out of those 20" barrels at night looks like a muzzleloader, much more than an M44.

MSGT9410
July 1, 2006, 05:20 PM
M48 off the bench for me.

I fair perfectly okay standing, but I get sore after about 20 rounds through it.

oneshooter
July 1, 2006, 07:56 PM
As for MODERN rifles, my 45/70 Siamese Mauser with a 400gr JSP and a full load of 3031 HURTS off the bench. Will make your eyes water!!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

MrTwigg
July 1, 2006, 08:14 PM
I'm not surprised to see Mosin M44's mentioned a couple of times here. I went to a Com block shoot today and put about forty rounds through my M91/30 and about 60 through my M44. I like fireballs and recoil ! I'm gonna bring some marshmello's to the next shoot and toast 'em on my M44's bayonet ! :D

ajax
July 2, 2006, 03:04 AM
My H&R in .500 S&W. It lets you know your still alive. Now that I think about it I would recomend you coffee drinkers out there to try a 45-110. Go out first thing in the morning and pop off 1 round and you'll never drink coffee again. If you think folgers is a real eye opener you'll love the 45-110.

Old Time Hunter
July 2, 2006, 05:16 PM
A brand new, never been fired, 1886 Winchester in 45-70BP. The rifle was in a collection at a small museum and I bought it at auction. Thought it was a reproduction until after I shot it and a curator from the museum called and said "DO NOT SHOOT THAT RIFLE IT IS AN ORIGINAL,NEVER FIRED RIFLE!" manufactured in 1888. It was too late, I had already fired it! Talk about painful...tens of thousands of dollars flying away!

oneshooter
July 2, 2006, 09:11 PM
OUCH!!! That hurt me just reading about it!!:what:

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Maddock
July 2, 2006, 10:35 PM
The summer I turned 18 I shot a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H. I was visiting some family friends outside of Anchorage. My host had a “walking around rifle” that he had modified from a standard Model 70 to very close to “featherweight” specs. It probably weighted 7 ½ pounds, all up. Barrel cut to 20 inches and turned down to a very slim profile. The stock was slimmed down quite a bit, with a couple of reinforced holes bored in the butt under a recoil pad about a ¼” thick. Aperture rear sight with a gold bead.

The first 20 rounds or so were cast bullet practice loads at just over the speed of sound (approximately 250gr at 1200fps) that hit to the same POA as regular loads. After doing pretty well with these and feeling cocky, I was ready for some “real” loads. After ignoring the warnings from my host that I may not enjoy shooting full power loads. I loaded up three Silvertips. Sighting in on the practice plate at about 30 yards I let fly. OUCH! I wasn’t going to let anyone know that I wasn’t man enough to handle a real rifle, so I fired the other two. I did pretty good (I thought) at hiding the pain, but everyone figured it out when I couldn’t raise my elbow up to shoulder high that evening and I had a bruise the size of my palm the next morning.

It hurt a whole lot more than the time I touched off both triggers on a 20 gauge double when I was 14.

Hokkmike
July 2, 2006, 10:55 PM
When I was a kid my dad handed me a .303 British jungle carbine and told me it kicked like a .22. I still don't know why he did that!

Retro
July 2, 2006, 11:56 PM
Man... that was vicious... My friend did the same thing to me at the range once. I was not into shotguns, and so I knew very little about them; I have been shooting skeets with small ball-bearing shotgun shells, and my friend exchanged one of the shells with a 4-inch rifled slug shell, and told me to try it because it kicks just like the ball-bearing shells. BANG!!! And my god... I was rocked backwards because I held the gun loosely, and it loosened one of my teeth... And I wasn't very happy. :cuss:

DoubleTapDrew
July 3, 2006, 12:27 AM
Personally my dad's 375 H&H elk gun is probably the biggest thumper i've shot. I use a 300 Weatherby Mag (amazing how you don't feel it when shooting at an animal :p ). We got him a Caldwell lead sled for Christmas to make sighting them in and testing loads less brain rattling :)
An article I saw in Guns & Ammo waaaay back (15 years or so) had an author shooting either a 6 or 8 gauge SxS shotgun, i forget which. In the cover shot both feet were off the ground, on his way back towards mother earth and he had a painful wincing expression on his face. I believe this was brass cased ammo, not regular shotgun hulls. Not sure if that was one barrel or both that he touched off.
I never shot it, but my dad had a derringer in .357 magnum. He shot it once. Broke every blood vessel in his hand, haha. He said it didn't really recoil, just felt like it blew up. He sold it the next day.

Stiletto Null
July 3, 2006, 01:23 AM
M48 from a benchrest with Turk.

chipp
July 3, 2006, 07:24 PM
single barrel shot gun with a 3in mag and a missing recoil pad. it hurt.

Ranger J
July 4, 2006, 12:05 PM
While it is not exactly a rifle the kickingest son of a gun I ever shot was my first riffled slug shotgun. It was a Mossberg 500 with a short rifle sighted smooth bore barrel. This was before 3" shells, thank God, but the regular ones would flat out jar your teeth. After about the third practice shot you took you didn't really care where that fourth shot went. I filled the stock bolt hole with #2 shot and this helped tame it some. When the cantilevered full riffled barrels came out I bought one and the added weight and the added length made it if not a joy to shoot at least bearable.
RJ

jetman
July 4, 2006, 12:12 PM
My worst KICK from a rifle was from a caliber not metioned here yet. I had a Beowulf .50 cal. upper mounted on an RRA AR15, A2 type lower with the gridded plastic butt pad, and a t-shirt. After 16 rounds my shoulder was very purple and bruised. I was flinching so bad by the last mag, I just quit shooting it. It was a BEAST!!

Deer Hunter
July 4, 2006, 01:01 PM
"When I was a kid my dad handed me a .303 British jungle carbine and told me it kicked like a .22. I still don't know why he did that!"

My dad did the same thing to my sister. He handed her one of those feather-weight 30-06s to hunt with. When she asked if it kicked or not, he sadi "Naw, that thing don't kick."

She killed the deer AND her shoulder that day. She held it just like her competition .22, barely to the shoulder and focusing on the sights.

Stiletto Null
July 4, 2006, 01:05 PM
Aww...that's terrible!

(At least she got the deer though. :))

Reminds me, I handed my buddy an SKS. His first shot went off-black (so about 5" from center) from 50ft. His explanation was that he didn't know what to expect, so he flinched—most of his time on rifle is with a Marlin 1894C. :rolleyes:

His following shots spiraled into the center, it was pretty cool.

Deer Hunter
July 4, 2006, 01:15 PM
Even better is when we hand a gun to my dad's friend. This poor guy just doesn't know how to hold onto the gun. It would help if he was clean or sober, sure, but I digress.

Once he asked my father, while they were in the truck, to hand him the .22, he saw a rabbit he wanted for dinner (Yep, he lives in the sticks and thinks he's an indian). My dad, jokingly, handed him the .45 caliber black powder. He touched it off, and the scope sliced his forehead open pretty badly.

Not the first time that's happened, and certainly not the last. In fact, I handed him the .308 Remington ADL (loaded with SA surplus) and he sliced his forehead up again. He doesn't know how to hold it up to his shoulder, I guess. Or maybe it's the booze. Booze and guns don't mix.

dromia
July 4, 2006, 04:50 PM
600 Nitro Express, not once but twice.

Even in a 17 1/2 lb falling block rifle you know you are shooting something, mind you a rifle like that ignores any flinch.

At £15 a pop you have an excuse for not shooting many rounds.

MD_Willington
July 5, 2006, 03:50 PM
Hand loaded .30-378 Weatherby Magnum

Sounded fun at the time :uhoh:

After the first shot with no brake or decelerator --> :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "most painful rifle you've shot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!