houston dudes, any walmarts here carry guns?

PDA

rangerruck
June 29, 2006, 04:46 AM
I am a service tech, and do a lot of driving all over the city, but in the last 6 months, I have not run across a wallyworld that carries any firearms any more. Was hoping to find a special on a Mach2 . Do any houston area waamarts carry firearms anymore?

If you enjoyed reading about "houston dudes, any walmarts here carry guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
slugcatcher
June 29, 2006, 09:36 AM
I haven't run into any that don't. Then again I haven't been into every Wal-Mart in the Houston area. Try Academy instead. They have a better selection anyhow.

jes
June 29, 2006, 12:40 PM
I have found several selling rifles. NO handguns anywhere.

MechAg94
June 29, 2006, 12:45 PM
Rifles. No handguns. Limited selection. They hide the ammo. Never tried to order so I have no idea on that.

Academy is a good store with more of everthing at probably a similar price.
Oshman's has rifles and pistols as well.

arthurcw
June 29, 2006, 01:36 PM
The ones in my area are going through a shake up. The one that is close to me doesn't anymore. I think the one down 59 near Airport (by the beltway) may. the selection as pretty bad. I think the one on Dunvale between Richmond and Westheimer also does.

Your best bet is to hit the wally world site and get some stores ph#'s and call the ones close to you ...and PRAY REAL HARD you get someone who has a clue.

Academy does have a better selection.

Maybe if we pray real hard Sportsmanís Warehouse will open up in Houston.

Eat Beef
June 29, 2006, 08:21 PM
I'm south of Houston, and all of our stores have longarms.

A couple of weeks ago (I try not to frequent WM) I think I saw a Marlin in Mach 2, although it could have been a 17 HMR, I really wasn't paying attention.

I would concur with trying Academy. They beat WM on a lot of ammo, but I haven't checked guns.

You also might try Gander Mountain. Both their locations are an hour away from me, but several months ago when I was last there they had a HUGE selection. Their prices were crazy, really cheap on some things and really high on others.

Leonovicz
June 29, 2006, 08:28 PM
Walmart's guns/ammunition website (http://www.walmart.com/guns) lists shotguns and rifles. I can't recall where I read it, but I understand that only Alaskan WalMart stores carry handguns, apparently for wild animal protection. You can use the store locator on the right-hand side of the page I linked to and call up individual Walmarts to see which ones carry firearms.

oneshooter
June 29, 2006, 10:15 PM
Both of the WallyWorld Superstores on the west side carry a SMALL selection of rifles and shotguns. 529 store and Fry Rd store.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Better yet there is a Bass Pro Shop at Katy Mills Mall, and a Gander Mnt. at Hwy 6 and 290.

kjeff50cal
June 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
[Homer Simpson]Mmmmm Bass ProShop[/Homer Simpson] :D

Snarlingiron
June 30, 2006, 01:10 AM
I heard a newscast on radio the other day that stated that Wal Mart will phase out and no longer carry firearms at 1/3 of its 3000 stores. They feel that it doesn't fit in with the image they are trying to establish.

News article (http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060418/SPORTS/604180331/1003)

kjeff50cal
June 30, 2006, 02:55 AM
I don't know if it is me but do you all see a pattern.... I remember before the 1970s all the general and catalog stores JC Penney, Monkey Wards, Sears, Kmart, even Target (why do you think they called it Target) had a sporting good/gun departments. As soon as they got rid of their firearms for sale they had a very tough time keeping a float.

It has gotten to the point two rivals merged (Kmart/Sears) and have become a gimp redheaded stepchild to Walmart who is also racing to get out of gunsales (it's for the children:barf: ). Sam Walton is spinning in his grave.

It seems to me instead of giving the customer what they want, they are giving the customer what the lawyers see fit:mad: and what they feel makes for a safer bottom line.

the 22 junkie
June 30, 2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, go to the Gander Mountain, some of the best selection I've seen of the big chain style store.

If you enjoyed reading about "houston dudes, any walmarts here carry guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!