My First run-in with an anti while open carrying

PDA

mzmtg
June 29, 2006, 08:37 AM
WARNING: The following account contains no pithy, hoplophobe-slaying remarks.

I was grocery shopping after work with my gun on my belt.

Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, "Sure."

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?" At least she had sense enough not to call it "that thing."

"I carry it to protect myself."

"Do you have a business card or anything?"

***? "No."

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"No."

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"Yes."

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, I carry it to protect myself."

"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

I finished up, chuckling, with, "I hope not."

With that, I just turned and went down the aisle, looking for the next item on my list.

Overall, pretty uneventful. Sure, there are TONS of smart azz comments I could have made at any point, but it wouldn't have done any good. I figured I'd do my part by being a clean cut guy, who isn't a cop, carrying a gun and not stirring up trouble.

If you enjoyed reading about "My First run-in with an anti while open carrying" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atlctyslkr
June 29, 2006, 09:39 AM
You're lucky that's the only comment you got. Come down to the city and try that, you'll get hit with a brandishing charge.

mzmtg
June 29, 2006, 09:45 AM
You're lucky that's the only comment you got. Come down to the city and try that, you'll get hit with a brandishing charge.

...that wouldn't stick...

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-11-102

16-11-102.
A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he intentionally and without legal justification points or aims a gun or pistol at another, whether the gun or pistol is loaded or unloaded.

rbernie
June 29, 2006, 09:47 AM
I figured I'd do my part by being a clean cut guy, who isn't a cop, carrying a gun and not stirring up trouble.I'd say you chose wisely. :)

das028
June 29, 2006, 09:47 AM
You should of told her to mind her own business!

mzmtg
June 29, 2006, 09:53 AM
You should of told her to mind her own business!

Why? What would that have accomplished?

Seriously.

entropy
June 29, 2006, 09:56 AM
I think you handled it very well-matter-of-fact, and a bit of self-depreciating humor at the end.

I'd like to think I'd have had the presence of mind to answer "Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"
with, "No, but the people you hear about on the Ten O' Clock News come to mind" or some such, but I probably wouldn't have.:o

das028
June 29, 2006, 10:00 AM
Why accomplish anything? Its your right, she's not a LEO, so why should you answer to her?

It may be different if she was really interested, and actually had some legit questions for you. But this women just wanted to stick her nose into your business, and make it known to you that she was antigun.

I know what I would of said to her!

mzmtg
June 29, 2006, 10:05 AM
I know what I would of said to her!

I bet you do!

Why reinforce her possible prejudices about gun owners? Why not be a polite member of society, even if she wasn't?

Byron Quick
June 29, 2006, 10:09 AM
Come down to the city and try that, you'll get hit with a brandishing charge.

Sorry, but you must be from somewhere besides Georgia. There is no such charge as brandishing in the Georgia Code. The city of Atlanta cannot have such an ordinance due to the Georgia pre-emption statute which forbids any county or municipal government from passing firearms laws more restrictive than state law.

I've open carried in Atlanta since before carry permits were available. I've carried openly with a permit on daily walks down Ponce de Leon Avenue for six months in 1988. Never even had an officer inquire if I had a permit.

Do you know anyone or have information from a reputable source of anyone at anytime being charged with brandishing in the state of Georgia?

Here's a link http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=1-1-1 to the offical Georgia Code put on the web by the Georgia state government. It's searchable. Do a search for brandishing, brandish, brandished, and brandishes. You'll get zero results.

There is a charge for open carry in the code. The charge is carrying a pistol without a license. With a license, you are legal under the same terms and conditions as when carrying concealed. There's not a charge for printing, or if your coat falls open and reveals your weapon. As far as the law concerning carry and pistol go, there's not a law forbidding you from strolling down the street while twirling the darn thing. They'd probably get creative and charge you with disorderly conduct or something, though. Unless you pointed at someone without legal justification, they wouldn't charge you with any firearm offense.

mzmtg, the lady sure acted strange for a person who was so 'unnerved.' I don't approach people who unnerve me. In recent years, I haven't carried openly often here. But during the 70's and 80's I open carried often. I never had one negative comment. During the 70's, almost everyone who said anything to me were assuming I was an undercover cop:rolleyes: It must have been the long hair, beard, sandals, tyedyed shirt, etc. Apparently, they couldn't wrap their minds around the concept,"hippy with a gun."

Overall, pretty uneventful. Sure, there are TONS of smart azz comments I could have made at any point, but it wouldn't have done any good. I figured I'd do my part by being a clean cut guy, who isn't a cop, carrying a gun and not stirring up trouble.

Good job. Rude, wisecrack remarks only serve to make antis think they're right in their stereotypes. The same type of comments can turn a fence sitter into an anti.

das028
June 29, 2006, 10:10 AM
I see your point, and a I applaud your tolorence for ingnorance.

I guess I'm not as tolerent as you, but you also have to realize I live in a state that is overun by ignorant anti's.

I cant carry, because of state laws, so I guess the issue is a little more serious to me.

dev_null
June 29, 2006, 10:42 AM
It can be hard to give short, clear answers that aren't obnoxious, so I think you did well. I have been known to say things like "because I have the right and the duty to protect myself and my loved ones against criminal predators," or words to that effect.

Thing is, just about any answer can turn into a futile exchange (note I didn't say debate) where the other person just wants to unload their prejudices upon you. Every once in a while, you get someone who asks sincerely, and then you have an opportunity to open someone's eyes. Even if they don't become a convert, they may at least begin to question their programming. Sadly, those cases are few and far between; the good news is that it's a positive thing when you are successful in expanding their viewpoint.

lance22
June 29, 2006, 10:47 AM
She said:
"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

In truth if she was so "unnerved" by it she would have been too afraid to approach you. She should have said your open carry "offended" her because she sure wasn't "unnerved". That's what I don't get.

This proves that anti's understand that permit holders are law-abiding, decent people. If she though you were a criminal she would have sh** her pants and ran but instead she knew you were approachable and stable enough to take her harassment w/o her having to fear for her safety.

XDKingslayer
June 29, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm trying to figure out why she asked if you had a business card? As if handing her a business card would magically answer her questions and made her angst go away.

You should have business cards with nothing but BANG! written on it for the next goofball that asks that question...

Punkermonkey
June 29, 2006, 11:37 AM

Strange question. I wonder what that was about?

Freddymac
June 29, 2006, 11:40 AM
I cant carry, because of state laws, so I guess the issue is a little more serious to me.

Even more reason to try to avoid helping them prove that "all people who who carry a gun want do is look for a fight". The more our immage moves toward the "clean cut, responsible types", and away from the "john wayne, wild west cowboy types", the harder it will be for these idiots to point a finger at us and call us the problem.

kid_couteau
June 29, 2006, 11:40 AM
I think you did very well.

Why should we act any different carrying a gun then someone say with a hammer in a holder on your belt.

They are both tools. If we can get more people to understand that a gun is just a tool then we will be ahead of the game.

Kid

Dave P
June 29, 2006, 11:43 AM
how 'bout "Have Gun, will Travel"?

1 old 0311
June 29, 2006, 11:48 AM
Put the dog on HER. " Well mam it is the second ammendment right guaranteed by the Constitution. Are there any other Constitutional rights you don't approve of?" " Being the second it was obviously very important. More so than giving women the right to vote. That came MUCH later.":evil:

Kevin

Fleetwing1627
June 29, 2006, 12:00 PM
I think mzmtg was right not to be a smart ass about it. Hopefully that woman now has seen at least one normal, non-criminal person carrying a firearm for protection (it may have been the first non-cop openly carrying that she's ever seen), and it will help her understand that we don't have to be feared for exercising our rights.

K-Romulus
June 29, 2006, 12:01 PM
I think you did fine.

My experience with anti-gun-owner types is that they fear people with guns because 1) the anti-gun person does not know the armed person on a personal level, and 2) the anti-gun person is worried that the armed person isn't "trained."

One suggestion is to have a backup speech ready for use in addressing #2.

Something like:

"Maam/Sir, I see you are not comfortable seeing a stranger with a firearm, but rest assured I have ____ hours of training, and have exceeded the licensing standards for security guards (or even LEOs if that is the case), and I take firearms very seriously, just like all the other gun owners that I know," etc.

This seemed to work on the blissninny-types I know at work who can't believe that a "normal person" would actually want to own a gun.

Lone_Gunman
June 29, 2006, 12:09 PM
I think you did alright.

Remember there is no reason to get upset if someone asks why you are open carrying. I think its a legitimate question, but a little nosy. If you don't want to be bothered by people asking, then conceal the gun.

Getting upset or offended over a question like that is kind of like getting upset if you decide to get a big orange afro, and then are offended when someone tells you your hair looks silly. If you have an orange afro, or carry a gun openly, you are asking for unwanted attention.

atlctyslkr
June 29, 2006, 12:14 PM
I've read the laws and it's not my intent to overrun this thread but ...

I was confronted by a police officer a few years ago while in a grocery store and my jacket rode up over my gun. I had to show my permit and was told to quit brandishing if I wanted to keep that gun. I zipped up my jacked and went to another store.

I know open carry is legal with a license. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you won't have a problem doing it. I'd rather not spend my money and time proving I'm right. We've all read the Wal-Mart story about the guy in Newnan. I wonder how much it's cost him. Who do you think the courts are going to believe?

I'll meet anyone at Lenox Square for an open carry test. See how long it takes one of those cops to jack you. I'm not saying you'll get arrested but you will get a nice hassle.

Atlanta is not like the rest of the state in more ways than one.

mzmtg
June 29, 2006, 12:25 PM
I've read the laws and it's not my intent to overrun this thread but ...

I was confronted by a police officer a few years ago while in a grocery store and my jacket rode up over my gun. I had to show my permit and was told to quit brandishing if I wanted to keep that gun. I zipped up my jacked and went to another store.

There is no state law under which that ignorant cop could have charged you. A judge would certainly not uphold any related charge of illegally pointing it at someone since it was in a holster on your belt.

There isn't even any "gray area" to debate on this one. There is no way that the open carry by a licensed citizen could be construed as illegal.

Mac Attack
June 29, 2006, 12:34 PM
I have seen people who carry open and have witnessed the snide remarks and stares. There's something said to not making waves and that's why I prefer to carry concealed. Not knocking those who carry openly, I just personally prefer to be low key and not draw attention to myself when I carry which is just about every day.

mzmtg
June 29, 2006, 12:37 PM
I usually do conceal. But, I didn't have any kind of cover garment to throw on. I open carry in this store a couple of times a week on my way home from work. The staff doesn't seem to care.

engineer151515
June 29, 2006, 12:44 PM
One suggestion is to have a backup speech ready for use in addressing #2.

Something like:

"Maam/Sir, I see you are not comfortable seeing a stranger with a firearm, but rest assured I have ____ hours of training, and have exceeded the licensing standards for security guards (or even LEOs if that is the case), and I take firearms very seriously, just like all the other gun owners that I know," etc.

Something like that would work well printed on a business card.
Just hand it to the offended party.
Maybe have a quick reference to your State's relative carry laws - Ord # blah blah... on the bottom/back of the card. They can go home and look it up.

Might make for a nice THR project - to come up with the wording for said card. You can print them up easily on your home computer/printer.

Horsesense
June 29, 2006, 01:16 PM
“Why are you carrying your weapon in here?”

several reasons, primarily for protection but also as a political statement.

Political statement?

Yes, during the last century over one hundred million unarmed civilians were killed by government troops. And Seeing as how this century began with UN troops raping unarmed women and children in Africa, I carry this gun openly to symbolize the utopia this world could be, if all people everywhere could enjoy their right to keep and bear arms.

sturmruger
June 29, 2006, 01:34 PM
It sounds like you handled things well. If you really wanted a reaction from her you should have asked her out on a date. :D

Mannlicher
June 29, 2006, 01:47 PM
open carry, while very high in testosterone valule, is not very often a good idea.

CajunBass
June 29, 2006, 01:49 PM
I don't bother to cover up when I'm jumping in and out of the car a lot, pumping gas, or doing my courier job and so on. I've never even had anyone so much as glance at me, so I don't actually know if they don't notice, or don't give a hoot. If anyone ever asks, here's my answer.

Why are you carrying a gun?

Because I want to.

Hokkmike
June 29, 2006, 01:56 PM
Lots of things unnerve me about some people, but I don't approach them on it.

I am all for what you do.

I saw a guy carrying a large frame revolver outside an Agway (farm supply store) in town. It was conspicuous. Immediately, thoughts go to the judgment of the guy. It's not so much of "does he have the right" as "does he have the brains to know when is the right time to use the thing".

But it is his right, and I don't question him about it.

For my part, like I said I support you, I would choose to be more inconspicuous. But, that is also a part of my personality.

Sidewinder
June 29, 2006, 02:06 PM
I live in Colorado in a high mountain town where crime is almost unheard of, but when I go down into Denver I carry a Springfield XD45 or a Sig 2034 .40, both firearms being concealable with some effort. I purchased a number of vests from 5.11 which allow me to carry on my belt or in the vest itself with total
concealability. They have build in stiffeners in the vest for a velcro holster and are very long which hides the belt holster perfectly. Great for those summer days where you would look rather suspicious wearing a heavy jacket or have bulges all over with a lighter garment. Just a thought . Saves dealing with the firearm phobia which so many in left leaning cities have. Btw, another rejoinder I have used is such situations, is ... Oh, I am sorry, I did not know you have a phobia about firearms... you do know that
such unreasoned fears are curable, don't you ? I would be happy to give you some references to help
you deal with your phobia."

June 29, 2006, 02:18 PM
We've all read the Wal-Mart story about the guy in Newnan. I wonder how much it's cost him.

This "we" hasn't read this. Do you have a link?

Don Gwinn
June 29, 2006, 02:24 PM
Two possible reasons for the business card:

1. She thought he was a cop or the like, and planned to scrutinize the card carefully as some sort of proof that he had "the right" to go around scaring respectable citizens like that. She's a taxpayer, after all, you know?
I don't think this is all that likely; she'd have asked for a badge instead.

2. Much more likely, she thought he was some sort of professional who had the gun for professional reasons, and she was trying to be as neutral as she could until she got the card. Once she had it, she planned to call his department or company and give his boss a long butt-chewing and describe how his employee had frightened her to death by brandishing his pistol--possibly while making unwelcome romantic advances.

TallPine
June 29, 2006, 02:27 PM
“Why are you carrying your weapon in here?”
You want me to leave it out in the pickup where someone could steal it?

:p

yy
June 29, 2006, 02:45 PM
:D tallpine, good one.

I think a 30-second response will do you proud. Something like this:
"You are very brave to face your nervousness, ma'am. And I appreciate your non-judging approach. I carry to protect >unarmed?< friends, family, women and small childen. this weapon is on my person because I'm being responsible in controlling it."

then upon further protest, or reference to the open carry, ...

"Open carrying might scare off crooks, or it might get me shot first, either way, open carry protects you from robbers."

"What if _I_ don't want your protection?" - or similar smart arse remark

"I'll keep that in mind, but you still have to tolerate open carry because it is my first amendment right to a political statement and my second amendment right to bear arms"

Vitamin G
June 29, 2006, 02:56 PM
I would have loved to handed her my business card....

Gregory M. XXXXX
Therapist

:D

torpid
June 29, 2006, 03:46 PM
So, unimportant details aside, what ice cream did you end up getting?

mzmtg
June 29, 2006, 03:54 PM
So, unimportant details aside, what ice cream did you end up getting?

Healthy Choice Cappuccino Chocolate Chunk (56 fl. oz.) (http://www.healthychoice.com/eatwell/ew_product_detail.jsp?m=EatWell&s=Ice%20Cream&t=Ice%20Cream&ProductId=1988&Product=Cappuccino%20Chocolate%20Chunk%20(56%20fl.%20oz.)&ProductTypeId=46&IngredientId=21&RegionId=13&ProductCatId=6&ProductSubCatId=4)

http://www.healthychoice.com/images/product_images/CappuccinoChocolateChunk.jpg

Rich chocolate chunks in swirled coffee and vanilla premium low fat ice cream. Healthy Choice Ice Cream combines the rich and creamy taste of premium ice cream with the nutritional qualities you've come to expect from Healthy Choice.

Deanimator
June 29, 2006, 04:14 PM
open carry, while very high in testosterone valule, is not very often a good idea.

Funny, the State of Ohio disagrees. In fact they REQUIRE it when in an automobile.

espanola
June 29, 2006, 04:16 PM
You handled it intelligently, maturely and in a fashion so as not to "prove" her biases to her.
You done good.

mzmtg
June 29, 2006, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I was dodging bullets and gun grabs from at least a dozen bad guys who were trying to either steal my gun or "shoot me first."

It's also high in comfort & convenience value.

torpid
June 29, 2006, 04:32 PM
Healthy Choice Cappuccino Chocolate Chunk (56 fl. oz.) ?!!!

Don't you know that HCCCC is the stereotypical "shoot me first" ice cream?

OC + HCCCC = death wish.
I'm stunned that you even made it out the door.

j1133s
June 29, 2006, 04:42 PM
I would turn the question around and ask her why isn't she carrying. Once she answers that question, I'd follow up w/ more if I wanted to continue the conversation. If she is ugly, then I'd just say "interesting" and tell her that I've got to go.

HankB
June 29, 2006, 04:43 PM
"Do you have a business card or anything?"I'm flattered that you'd like to engage my services, but I'm not in that line of work."

Jorg Nysgerrig
June 29, 2006, 05:56 PM
I find it very strange she used the word weapon instead of gun or pistol.

Model520Fan
June 29, 2006, 06:11 PM
mzmtg,

Very well handled, in my opinion.

BTW, could you tell from her speech whether she was a native or a transplant? Both the business-card routine and her pushiness in questioning a stranger on his personal business sound very suspicious to me.

TIA

CNYCacher
June 29, 2006, 06:15 PM
I find it very strange she used the word weapon instead of gun or pistol.

As do I. Sounded like she knew a little more than she was letting on.

DKSuddeth
June 29, 2006, 06:19 PM
If she was truly that unnerved by the sight of a gun being worn openly, she most certainly would not have approached you. Her real intent should have been obvious, trying to place the holder on the defensive, as if you needed to justify why you wear a gun.

MrTuffPaws
June 29, 2006, 06:22 PM
Excellent. You did gun owners a great thing by not coming back with assinine comment. Thank you

Euclidean
June 29, 2006, 06:27 PM
There is no state law under which that ignorant cop could have charged you. A judge would certainly not uphold any related charge of illegally pointing it at someone since it was in a holster on your belt.

There isn't even any "gray area" to debate on this one. There is no way that the open carry by a licensed citizen could be construed as illegal.

I'm not disagreeing with what I am quoting here, but rather pointing something out. Even if open carry was legal in Texas I'd wait several years before trying it for the simple reason that even 10 years later, TX LEOs make up the gun laws as they go along. I can't imagine GA officers are any different.

In the past 8 months I've been pulled over three times (not ticketed just pulled over) and one officer told me that the firearm must be in plain view while transporting it in a vehicle and if he wasn't in such a good mood he would haul my ass to jail for concealing a firearm in a vehicle.

The next cop that pulled me over, I had the firearm laying out in plain view. And boy howdy if he wasn't in such a good moode he would have hauled my ass to jail for failure to conceal a firearm in a vehicle.

The third cop restored my faith in the system somewhat. I asked him what law applied as I had checked the Penal Code and was confused. He answered (correctly) he knew of no such law in Texas requiring either open or concealed carry in a vehicle.

The point is, when you live in a police state like the USA, a little discretion is going to win the day. Even if the first or second cop had hauled me off to jail and I'd been let go, I'd have still lost quite a bit of money and time sitting in jail for a day or four days who knows how long, not to mention I'd have had my gun confiscated (good luck getting it back, I know only one person who has recovered a gun taken by the police and that took 2 years) and other hassles.

It's a crap shoot, put the odds in your favor as much as possible. FWIW.

Zundfolge
June 29, 2006, 06:29 PM
In the past 8 months I've been pulled over three times...

So Euclidean, is your problem the Texas police, or is it your lead foot?

:neener:

TX LEOs make up the gun laws as they go along.
When any LEO "makes up the law as they go along" they make themselves into felons.

source (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC242)

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 13--CIVIL RIGHTS

Sec. 242. Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or
custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory,
Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights,
privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or
laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or
penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his
color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or
both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation
of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or
threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be
fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both;
and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this
section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap,
aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual
abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or
imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be
sentenced to death.

Riz58
June 29, 2006, 08:48 PM

I finished up, chuckling, with, "I hope not."

I think you handled it well, overall. You might have added after your "hope not" statement. "Ma'am, I am not worried about people like you. I am worried about the gangbangers who might come running through that door any second now and start shooting up the place, or the crazy kid who comes in shooting a rifle to make the evening news, or the crazy, jealous ex-husband who comes hunting for his ex-wife. The odds are I will never have to touch this weapon in self-defense, but I also know if it does happen, I will not be a helpless victim. Thank you for your question."

BTW - all of the above described items have happened over the past few years.

Side-note to the MYOB crowd: Like it or not, you are all ambassadors for all gun advocates, and "mind your own business", "because I can" or "what part of the Second Amendment do you not respect" comments hurt the cause. This lady will probably never be a gun advocate, but polite responses will alleviate concern that you are some macho, gun-nut, spoiling for a shoot-out somewhere.

Based on the response she received in this case, she probably will not be quite so anxious the next time she sees him, and by the third or fourth time will not even notice.

LiquidTension
June 29, 2006, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking the reason for the business card request had nothing to do with whether or not you were some gun-related professional. She probably wanted to call your boss and make trouble for you. If she had the gumption to come up and question you about something that supposedly "unnerved" her, there's no reason why she wouldn't take it an extra step.

You handled the situation better than I may have. I always start off nice, but when ignorant people give you an opening to take them down a rung, it's so hard to pass it up.

Leanwolf
June 29, 2006, 11:04 PM
"... Rich chocolate chunks in swirled coffee and vanilla premium low fat ice cream."

Low fat ice cream ?????!!!!!

What REAL MAN eats low fat ice cream??! Hell's afire, if ice cream doesn't have at the very least, 29% pure butterfat, it's not even worth the time and trouble for a REAL MAN to set tooth and tongue to!

All REAL MEN eat outrageously high fat content ice cream!!

Guns don't make a REAL MAN: high fat ice cream does! ;)

L.W.

torpid
June 29, 2006, 11:34 PM
That ice cream is tactical- high speed low drag!

:D

atlctyslkr
June 30, 2006, 12:16 AM
Quote:
We've all read the Wal-Mart story about the guy in Newnan. I wonder how much it's cost him.

This "we" hasn't read this. Do you have a link?

Here you go

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751

There are lots of stories on here about less than positive open carry experiences.

PILMAN
June 30, 2006, 11:48 AM
Granted it would probably look awkward walking into a store with a gun on your belt to most people though it was pretty rude for the lady to question you like that. I wouldn't be too happy with people questioning me, they can think what they want so long as they don't bring it up. It's your gun, your legally abiding by the law so they can morally hate it all they want and can't do a damn thing :)

June 30, 2006, 04:32 PM
atlctyslkr, thanks for the link.

M249MachineGun
June 30, 2006, 06:20 PM
You handled it better than I would have.

I'd go into a thousand-yard stare and say, "This is my handgun. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. Without me, my handgun is useless. Without my handgun, I am useless..."

Apologies to all real Marines.

gunsmith
June 30, 2006, 08:39 PM
Just say "They drew first blood, not me":neener:

I found out I had an anti in my Taxi a few weeks ago by telling her I would never go back home to NYC where she lives and I'm from.

She asked me "why do you need a gun" & I asked her if she had read a newspaper, when she said "yes" I asked her why she needs to do that.

I didn't get a good tip.:evil:

Byron Quick
June 30, 2006, 08:50 PM
There are lots of stories on here about less than positive open carry experiences

And I've been carrying openly in Georgia for almost forty years with not one single negative comment or one single solitary confrontation with a police officer. Since the days before carry permits were available in Georgia. Haven't had one criminal try to shoot me first either.

Most people make up their minds about a subject such as open carry and then go looking for evidence supporting their decision while conveniently missing any data not supporting their position.

That's not to say I might not run into an officer who was sleeping in class when the instructor was covering Georgia firearms laws. I've run into officers ignorant of specific law before. They wound up with egg on their face in each event.

Darn, I think I'll get dressed and go shopping carrying openly.

Sheldon J
June 30, 2006, 09:16 PM
Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, "how can I be of assistance"

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?" At least she had sense enough not to call it "that thing."

"this is a high crime district I carry it for protection."

***? "No are you looking for a protection service?"

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"No not at present"

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"but of course I do how come no one asks the criminals that?"

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, to protect myself and those who are unaware of the danger."

I finished up, chuckling, with, "no not you Darlin just the would be armed rapist, murder, kidnapper, robber, you know the kind that love to prey on women in grocery store parking lots, just scream if you need my help."

With that, I just turned and went down the aisle, looking for the next item on my list.

Wayne02
June 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
She probably wanted to call your boss and make trouble for you.
Yep, I agree, that may well have been the motivation behind asking for the business card.

The funny thing is in my case I'd hand her my card, and if she called looking for the owner, the cell-phone on my belt would start ringing... :)

Travis McGee
June 30, 2006, 11:25 PM
Well done, I'd say!

I look forward to leaving Kalifornistan for Florgia (NE Florida) next month!

.41Dave
July 1, 2006, 12:12 AM
That ice cream is tactical- high speed low drag!

That's why the store keeps it in the Tacticooler :D

Otherguy Overby
July 1, 2006, 12:51 AM
Damn, now I've a reason to keep business cards from people who've annoyed me... :)

Euclidean
July 1, 2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the link Zundfolge. I did have a ticket in that period of time but I didn't count that. The other three incidents were all distinctly odd, including one where I sat on the side of the road for 20ish minutes and then they let me go without explanation.

Considering that before then, I hadn't been pulled over by the police in over 7 years, I guess it all averages out.

And thanks for the information, but honestly all the officer would have to do in court is say "I never said that." I can't prove anyone said anything either as I have no recording or witnesses.

Byron Quick
July 1, 2006, 01:38 AM
I couldn't resist the temptation. Took a shower and got dressed. Put my 1911 in a Galco OWB holster so it would be hard to miss. Cocked and locked. Two magazines on the weak side. No cover garment. Stopped by the convenience store and got a soft drink. Made sure that the cashiers had a clear view of every angle.

Darn, no reaction. So I headed to WalMart. Waved to the cop sitting in the squad car. He waved back. Since he was to my right, he had a clear view of the pistol. Didn't get out to stop me.

Got a cart. Spent some time perusing DVD's. Got one. Checked out sporting goods. Then on to paints. Got a couple of cans of spray paint. Wandered through hardware and then on to houseware. Got some coffee filters. Wandered around back and forth. Went back across the store to get some laundry detergent. Strolled through the men's department looking for cover garments.

Spent about an hour and a half in the store. Talked with several employees. Noticed no stares. Heard no whispers. Mothers weren't herding their children away. Store security didn't confront me.

Some of you guys had me wondering if my state had changed while I wasn't paying attention. This part hasn't. Might have to take a road trip to Atlanta soon.

Something I've noticed about folks who move to Georgia from other states. They seem to assume that Georgia's laws are the same as where they're from. This is not so. Neither is the culture, friends.

American By Blood
July 1, 2006, 01:44 AM
"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?"

"It keeps the neo-nazi gangs and the Crips out of the mall."

Joking aside, you represented the lot of us well. Thank you.

OldSchooler
July 1, 2006, 07:21 PM
Overall, pretty uneventful. Sure, there are TONS of smart azz comments I could have made at any point, but it wouldn't have done any good.
You are correct. She probably wouldnt have understood most of your logic, anyway. However, I doubt under the circumstances, that I could've resisted asking her what it is that bothers her about, So's I'd know how the straights are thinking. Some credit is due her, though, for the courage to ask and to be civil herself.
You done good, brother.

gezzer
July 1, 2006, 11:26 PM
Next time just answer her question with a NO

CAPTAIN MIKE
July 2, 2006, 05:51 AM
I think he handled it with humor and class. Didn't insult the little old lady who was making a polite inquiry.

Sometimes open carry can be an opportunity to educate without berating someone for their burden of ignorance. It may be an opportunity to de-sensetize someone who might be overly sensetive to being un-nerved by the sight of someone walking around with "that thing".

We should consider ourselves something of an informal Ambassador, that can help shift other people's minds about 2nd Amendment right without coming off as some kind of arrogant nut-case. It would be nice if she goes home to her husband and says " Oh today, I met this nice gentleman who....."

Al Norris
July 2, 2006, 09:22 AM
mzmtg, you did all of us gunowners good!
Something I've noticed about folks who move to Georgia from other states. They seem to assume that Georgia's laws are the same as where they're from. This is not so. Neither is the culture, friends.
I've noticed much the same thing up here in Idaho. Some days, it's a wonder that we actually preserve our own culture...

By carrying openly, I can send the message that this is not California or Chicago or NYC, etc.

By carrying openly, I can help put to rest the myth that only crooks or cops carry arms.

By being polite while I carry openly, I help to break the stereotype.

By openly carrying, I can reacquaint people to our heritage here in Idaho.

By openly carrying, I make whatever place I'm in or at, a little more safe for those around me... Crooks are essentially cowards. If they see that you are armed, they will go somewhere else that's easier pickings.

x3m
July 2, 2006, 12:10 PM
if a society was made gun free then criminals would simply use other tools to commit violent crimes like knives for instance , then the liberal idiots would probably ban knives , then criminals would go over to bats , then that would get banned , then they would use rocks , then that would get banned, then they would use their fists , then that would get banned :neener: come on !! wake up and realise that a violent person will always find way to accomplish his goal wether with a gun or a stick or a stone or with his bare hands, but a small peacefull guy has only one way of protecting himself against this type of brute and that is a gun. that would be my argument but off course that silly bitch would probably not get it trough the peanut that acts as her brain :banghead:

grimjaw
July 2, 2006, 12:55 PM
Her health was more endangered by the ice cream freezer than your gun. Good show. ;)

jmm

Haymaker
July 2, 2006, 02:06 PM
I'd have asked back to a couple of her questions : "Who's Asking? & "Why??- If she has an intelligrnt response, give her the URL's to wwwpacking.org & the RKBA website. If she tries to turn the questions into a debate, move on.:cool:

ryoushi
July 2, 2006, 03:39 PM
Open carry without a permit is legal in some counties in Calif. It is also legal carry when you're camping or hiking and I do so. Some places a gun on your hip won't draw a second thought, other places I think it best to carry concealed.

Here, on a gun forum you'll get lots of positive reinforcement about asserting your right as a citizen and gunowner but I think open carry in alot of places - even if allowed by law is asking for trouble. Me, enough trouble falls right in my lap without me going out an looking for it.

If you're truly interested in self defense rather than being a shining beacon of 2nd Amendment granduer, in most jurisdictions IMO concealed carry is a better way to go.

LightningJoe
July 2, 2006, 04:42 PM
My new answer to questions of this sort is:

"Because I care and because it's the right thing to do."

My old answer was:

"To piss off the Liberals."

But they're pissed off enough now. After the first Tuesday in November, they're likely to be even more pissed off. Don't push them.

BlkHawk73
July 2, 2006, 08:51 PM

very well done. It's incidents like this that the KISS rule is far better than in depth, lengthy, detailed explainations that could very well lead to a more heated debate. The manner in which you handled it, non-chalantly and politely, proberly made a point to this person.

Sam Adams
July 3, 2006, 12:18 PM

I have found that when you are trying to convince someone on the other side of an issue, the very best thing that you can do is to dispel their stereotype(s).

In this case, her stereotype of someone who is not a police officer, etc. who carries is someone who doesn't need to, and probably also someone who is nasty, aggressive, paranoid, dangerous, etc. I would think that the best way to disarm (pun intended, but only after I typed it :D ) her stereotype of someone who would carry openly would be to respond:

"I know that I don't need protection from people like you, since you are clearly a very decent person. However, the news if full of stories about people who are thoroughly indecent, and since I don't have a crystal ball, I cannot know when, where (or even if) one of them may decide to harm me. It is like wearing a seatbelt while driving or having a fire extinguisher at home - that is why I carry this weapon. "

You might also wish to add (depending on circumstances) the following:

"Oh, and by the way, did you know that you and others around me are also protected by this weapon when you're near me?"

By saying something similar, in a very conversational tone (and not being sarcastic or talking down to the person), you may very well convert an anti to being neutral, or convert a neutral person into being pro-gun. Being nasty, sarcastic, etc. will result in only one thing - continued and increased opposition to anything having to do with firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "My First run-in with an anti while open carrying" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!