A couple questions regarding the AK

PDA

buzz_knox
June 29, 2006, 11:24 AM
I've got an SLR-95 that has a lever on the right side of the barrel assembly, immediately in front of the forward handguard. On my SLR-105, the lever is under the handguard, so I presume it is exposed due to improper reassembly of the handguard. Anyone know what said lever might be?

Also, I bought some of the corrosive 7n6 5.45 ammunition. I understand the additional cleaning steps needed to clean after shooting this ammunition, but I've never seen how one cleans the gas tube. One of the most frequent suggestions has been soapy water, but how does one get the water completely out of the tube without completely disassembling the weapon?

If you enjoyed reading about "A couple questions regarding the AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MIL-DOT
June 29, 2006, 11:49 AM
beats me !!:confused: but you might also try asking ( or scrolling around) at sksboards.com. they'll have the right answer for you...quick.

1 old 0311
June 29, 2006, 11:54 AM
Should be the lever to remove the handguards.

Husker1911
June 29, 2006, 12:20 PM
I believe you're referring to the gas tube retaining lever. If not, disregard this post! The lever allows you to dissemble the gas tube assembly, a vital component of the AK system. You'll also need to clean this area thoroughly after firing, especially with corrosive ammo. Here's a link that might help with your question.

http://ultimak.com/AKStockR&R.htm#uphg

buzz_knox
June 29, 2006, 12:29 PM
You nailed it, Husker! Thank you.

I bought this weapon used with the lever exposed and fully forward. Not knowing any better, I fired a few mags through it in that condition. Hopefully, I didn't do any damage.

Husker1911
June 29, 2006, 01:08 PM
My SLR-95 is one of my most prized firearms. A milled receiver AK isn't easy to come upon! I'm soon going to outfit it with an EOTech perched upon an Ultimak gas tube mount system. I'm sitting on over 5,000 rounds of ammo, so thinks are good for me!

clange
June 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
I bought this weapon used with the lever exposed and fully forward. Not knowing any better, I fired a few mags through it in that condition. Hopefully, I didn't do any damage.
If you're talking about the lower handguard retainer, then all that does is hold the handguard on. Nothing could have been damaged firing it like that.

MTMilitiaman
June 29, 2006, 04:20 PM
I've got an SLR-95 that has a lever on the right side of the barrel assembly, immediately in front of the forward handguard. On my SLR-105, the lever is under the handguard, so I presume it is exposed due to improper reassembly of the handguard. Anyone know what said lever might be?

Okay you've got me a little confused now.

Holding the rifle so that the charging handle is up and the barrel points to your right, there will be a lever directly under the rear sight. It should be pointing about 45 degrees down and to the left. Moved clockwise to the 12 o' clock position it allows the gas tube to be removed (once the bolt carrier/ op rod has been removed). Firing the rifle with it in the 12 o' clock position I suppose could provide some unhealthy canting on the gas tube and possibly some unwanted friction on the op rod. I don't know. I've never tried it.

With the gas tube removed and the rifle now tilted so that the pistol grip and mag well point down, you should be able to see a small lever at the forward part of the lower handguard, located on the right side. This locks the rear handguard in place. In its locked position it will point back towards the stock of the rifle, and unlocked will point forward towards the muzzle allowing the formed metal peice to slide back and forth. To remove the lower handguard you merely flip this lever forward, slide the metal peice foward, and pull the handguard down and out from the receiver. Reassemble in reverse order. I can't imagine any damage resulting from operating the weapon with this lever unlocked, but having your handguard slip off in the middle of a double tap might be an unwelcomed surprise, esp if it results in your grabbing the barrel :eek:

buzz_knox
June 29, 2006, 04:25 PM
I'll need to doublecheck, but my recollection is that (with the weapon lying on its left side, charging handle up), the lever is located in front of the lower handguard, closer to the barrel than the gas tube. On the SLR-105, it extends towards the rear of the weapon and is covered by the lower handguard. On the SLR-95, it is completely uncovered and swings freely to the touch.

Thin Black Line
June 29, 2006, 05:58 PM
The Bulgarians are chrome-lined and do not need hot soapy water. Standard
bore solvents will work. Yes, you should remove the gas tube and use bore
solvent to swab out the interior of the tube as well as the gas piston
and "dirty" areas on the bold carrier and bolt face. Likewise, the gas tap can
be swabbed out. Wipe down all interior parts until they are no longer dirty.
Pipe cleaners, q-tips, paper towel, etc can be pressed into every nook and
cranny on an AK. Wadded up paper towel pressed through a gas tube
cleans it up pretty well after solvent swabbing and brushing.

Water was great when it was the only thing available for great-grand-pa
to clean his musket, but modern bore solvents and oils are a step up.
They will not rust your rifle whereas hidden drops of water will.

LiquidTension
June 30, 2006, 05:46 AM
From your description, I think Kevin hit it - forend retaining lever. I don't think it'll hurt anything to fire it the way you describe, but the forend might come loose :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "A couple questions regarding the AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!