How many of you....M1 Garand

PDA

eclancy
June 29, 2006, 01:00 PM
Gentlemen,
...have used your knowledge and your M1 Garand (CMP) or one from a gun show to give the Garanditis Plague to family, friends, members at a shooting range, etc., which in turn has caused them to have a Credit Card meltdown??! I know there are a lot of great stories out there on this one!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/eclancy/5cd8105a.jpg

www.users.fast.net/~eclancy
www.garandm1rifle.com
Thanks again
Clancy
Looking for Sponsors
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you....M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dienekes
June 29, 2006, 08:25 PM
Hopefully, a few; among them, my son who really likes WWII history and the M1 in particular.

May have influenced a few people at the Springfield Armory exhibits at NRA convention a few weeks ago, looking at M1As. I pointed out to a few lookers that if they cut back on some frivolities they could probably afford the rifle they were lusting over. One guy was there with his father who really looked like he wanted one in the worst way. I commented to the father--making sure his son could hear--that a good son would buy his dear old Dad the rifle of his dreams.

I wonder if it worked.

byf43
June 29, 2006, 09:43 PM
I ran a High Power Rifle program for my local sportsman's club for many years.
We had several rifles for the new shooters to use.
"Garanditis" was rampant!!!!!! Highly contagious!!!!!!!
I have signed the Temporary Score Books for more than 75 people, and I'm quite proud of that. (Probably more than 100 people.)

One member was so taken by the venerable Garand, that he couldn't wait for his DCM gun to arrive. He went to a gunshow and paid $600+ for one, then, one month later, he received his DCM gun for $165. The $600 rifle has been converted to .308 and 'massaged' to NM (or better) status and is the most beautiful Garand I've ever seen! (He's got almost $2,000 in that M1!)

mustanger98
June 29, 2006, 10:44 PM
Not yet, but I've been sorta working on my brother-in-law and his son.:D Now how do I get all this past my sister who don't like to buy rifles and shoot?:uhoh:

Beetle Bailey
June 29, 2006, 11:36 PM
A couple years back I got my very first Garand (a USGI service grade S.A. from the CMP) and brought it out to sight in on a shooting bench. It just so happened that an older gentlemen got the bench immediately to my right and he was sighting in his new M1A. Eventually I noticed him gazing at my rifle with a pleased look on his face so I struck up a conversation with him:

"Yeah, my Dad was in the Army from 1957 to 1960 and he told me he was issued a rifle for sentry duty. He wasn't really specific about which rifle but from what I understand, it was probably an M1 Garand. . . unless he got one of those new M14s. Anyways, I got this one from the CMP and as you can see, it's shooting pretty well. . ."

He mentioned he was in the Army as well, in 1960, and that he too was trained on an M1. He agreed that my father most likely trained on an M1 as well. I showed him an enbloc clip and there was a gleam in his eye as he examined it. Evidently he hadn't held one since he got out of the service and it brought back memories of his youth. When I found out mine was the first "real" Garand he had held in over 40 years, I offered to let him shoot a few clips, if only to hear the "ping" sound of the ejected clip. He politely declined, stating that he would go the CMP route I explained to him and that he wanted to wait until he got his own, since it's been so long. :cool:

Before he met me, he was thinking about those commercial M1 Garands. I told him my decision making process: It's half the price to get it from the CMP, plus I wanted a "GI" rifle. He agreed with the "GI" part, stating "Yeah, that's kinda the whole point. . . "

eclancy
June 30, 2006, 12:09 PM
Gentlemen,
The GCA Garand Collector's Association is looking for stories for the GCA Journal and I think some of these stories could be put into print. Letting other people know how and why they became Garanditis.

http://www.users.fast.net/~eclancy
http://www.garandm1rifle.com
Thanks again
Clancy
Looking for Sponsors
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF

keano44
June 30, 2006, 02:53 PM
I will, very soon! My M1 Garand is on lay-a-way right now, with one or two payments left. It was part of an estate sale my dealer bought. As best I can tell from the descriptions on CMP's website, it would meet the "Correct Grade Rifles" criteria, but at a better price. I can't wait to get it. I was going to get one from the CMP, but when this one came available, and it looked so good, I figured why take a chance on what I would get from CMP, when I can see and hold this one and know what I am getting.

oneshooter
June 30, 2006, 04:18 PM
Started with one, a Blue Sky import, now have 5. Stop me before I buy again!!:evil:

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you....M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!