Convince me not to buy a cz-82...please

PDA

Raph84
June 29, 2006, 11:08 PM
I just got an email that AIM Surplus has CZ-82's ($230 and they have ammo $6.50 per 50) in. I have really wanted either a CZ-83 or a Bersa for a while, and I'm really tempted.

I am really iffy about buying surplus guns, and I recall some people had issues with the last lot that were out there. I really don't want to spend $250ish (what I figure it will cost when all is said and done) to get what mat be a lemon, when I can spend the same $ on a Bersa or wait a while and go for a new '83.

What's the verdict? Should I go for it and take the chance?

If you enjoyed reading about "Convince me not to buy a cz-82...please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
candr44
June 29, 2006, 11:20 PM
I would go for it but I already have one. The price is the best I have seen yet and no one else has original holsters and lanyard.

I like my CZ 82 and don't regret buying it at all. They are great pistols but if you are leary about surplus you can see if makarov. com has some CZ 83 pistols in 9x18. I believe the 83 would be new with a warranty but they will also cost a lot more.

AIM lists their 82,s in excellent condition so I don't think you are likely to get stuck with a lemon.

CZF
June 29, 2006, 11:54 PM
Don't buy one. Excellent ergonomics and will eat anything you can put thru it!
Far better accuracy than most pocket pistol caliber guns.

CZ would make a Billion if they could offer a 9mm/40 in the same size.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/418223.JPG

They can also be quite beautiful:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/418224.jpg

Texfire
June 29, 2006, 11:59 PM
Um, I bought one and it's kinda hard to get a left-handed holster for a CZ-82/83. Sorry that's the only drawback I could think of. I guess the British-sytle pot metal black finish can be a turn-off for some.

Sweet shooting, accurate double stack with the best Eastern Block trigger I've ever found. Can be shot either double action or cocked and locked single. Oh also shoots inexpensive 9x18 Makarov which isn't bad for a "marginal" round.

Did I help? :evil:

Tex

HankC
June 30, 2006, 09:57 AM
Are CZ 82/83 parts and mags interchangeable? If not, any problem with supply of 82 parts?

tegemu
June 30, 2006, 02:36 PM
OK. DON'T BUY IT!!!!!

sgphoto
June 30, 2006, 03:32 PM
Can't beat the price. I have two EG Maks in 9 x18 so buying the CZs was a natural. Really a nice cartridge, I expect more SD rounds to be produced in 9 x18.

Got 500 rds of the surplus 9x18 to play with so I'm set for a couple of days.

Steve

Raph84
June 30, 2006, 03:49 PM
Well I'm almost convinced, I'm likely going to buy.

I did want to know (and I assume they are...but) as wondered above, are the '82 and '83 mags compatible?

Texfire
June 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
My understanding from when I did research into buying another mag for my 82 is 83 mags are identical to 82 mags, but my dealer ended up getting an couple extra original mags with his next shipment so I bought one of those instead. The 82 has polygonal rifling, is only available in military issue black, and is only chambered in 9x18 Makarov. The 83 has conventional rifling and is mostly chambered in .380 ACP, thought there have been runs of it chambered in 9x18, and it's avaible in blued and stainless models.

Tex

FireBreather01
June 30, 2006, 06:49 PM
Um, I bought one and it's kinda hard to get a left-handed holster for a CZ-82/83.

Try HBE Leather - he's got a wait list but it's worth it. I also carry/shoot lefty and Eric's work is outstanding. I have 2 83's and they are fantastic guns - loads of fun - accurate, tough, great teaching guns, etc - get the 82, you won't regret it!

Zundfolge
June 30, 2006, 07:20 PM
CZ would make a Billion if they could offer a 9mm/40 in the same size.

http://www.czusa.com/_thumb.php?gd=1&src=data/productimg/main040.png&maxw=200
CZ-83
Weight 1.8 lbs
Overall Length 6.8 in
Barrel Length 3.8 in
Height 5 in
Width 1.4 in

http://www.czusa.com/_thumb.php?gd=1&src=data/productimg/main048.png&maxw=200
CZ RAMI
Weight 1.6 lbs
Overall Length 6.6 in
Barrel Length 3 in
Height 4.7 in
Width 1.3 in

I'm sure the folk at CZ are waitin' on that Billion :neener:

Buck Nekkid
July 1, 2006, 02:13 AM
Hey Pard!

Don't buy one! There I've said it for ya! That'll leave that many more fer the rest of us!!:neener:

I had a real nice surplus 82 and foolishly sold it off to finance a CZ 83 (also in 9 x 18 Makarov). Well the CZ 83 is nickel plated, but the CZ 82 had a better trigger (from a lot of use by the MP's I'm a guessin').

Re: polyogonal barrels--all CZ 82's and CZ 83's in 9 x 18 have 'em. They almost look like a smooth bore, but they ain't. Durn accurate, fer sure!

PCRCCW
July 1, 2006, 04:08 PM
Oh oh oh...........ok..dont buy it, tell me where to! :D
Get it and you WONT regret it........one of my all time favorite guns.
Shoot well and god bless

johnnyonthespot
March 2, 2008, 02:16 AM
man o man... convince ME...

i want one too...

i used to live one block from the AIM surplus warehouse...

now im 40 minutes away and im gettin into guns and i wish i could just stumble over there, buy a cz82 and a k98... now i gotta stumble to my car and drive there...

the cz82's are %209.00
seems like a steal... i havent read one bad thing about them...

love the design/size...

woad_yurt
March 2, 2008, 02:26 AM
Centerfire systems has them for $159.00 right now. My friend just bought one. They are very, very good pistols.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1207

Chester32141
March 2, 2008, 02:36 AM
Do you have a link for the $6.50 per box ammo you mention ??

paperpuncher49
March 2, 2008, 08:08 AM

Sorry.....No can do!

ZeSpectre
March 2, 2008, 08:21 AM
Well, the magazine release can be sucky.

Did that help?

usp9
March 2, 2008, 09:27 AM
The 83 has conventional rifling and is mostly chambered in .380 ACP, thought there have been runs of it chambered in 9x18, and it's avaible in blued and stainless models.

The CZ83 chambered in 9mm Mak also has a polygonal barrel. It is not available in stainless, but in Nickle and there are reported problems with flaking. The CZ83 is also available in .32acp. and these too are available used, with the old round trigger guard for a good price. The .32 mags are harder to find.

As to buying a CZ82...just remember it is a used, probably military sidearm, that will have wear to some extent, and that extent is unknown. Some have very worn sears and hammers. A number show up missing parts, especially the slide stop lever spring. I've seen two that were nothing better than worn out crap. The one I own is in pretty good shape, though I suspect it has seen many rounds through it's almost smooth bore, which by the way does not look like other polygonal bores from say Glock or HK.

Buyer beware...it could be a very nice pistol or it could be a dog. My advise...function test thouroughly.

March 2, 2008, 10:23 AM
The magazine release sits lower than the thumbrest making it a little slow to drop the mag. The release is also directly in line with my trigger finger. When I pull the trigger the tip of my finger hits the release causing the fleshy part of my fingertip to get caught between the trigger and the rear of the guard. Causes a minor bite. Grip is a bit thick due to the doublestack mag. Safety is a little stiff but my gun is brand new.
Sights are crisp and easy to acquire. Trigger pull is smooth in both SA and DA but a little heavy in DA. Accuracy is excellent. Build quality seems first rate. Finish on my 83 is better than almost any competitor with the possible exception of the Sig 230/232. So far function has been flawless, far better than the Bersa I test fired. I like mine!

azhunter12
March 2, 2008, 03:06 PM
I can't come up with a good reason so go for it.

Treo
March 2, 2008, 04:01 PM
Are you convinced yet?

My wife's CCW is an 82 , very accurate easily concealable, can be carried DA or condition one, ammos reasonably priced , its a CZ ............. hmmm yeah you're right don't buy it

Texastbird
March 4, 2008, 12:54 AM
The finish is chipped and worn a little bit. Don't buy a used worn out pistol. Everyone will laugh at you at the range. Sissy boy shooting that wimpy European gun. If its not a Glock it ain't worth spittin' on. Reasons enough?
P.S. I'm getting ready to get another one, so if you don't buy one now, they may not run out before I get mine ordered.

SeanSw
March 4, 2008, 01:19 AM
I just handled one of these pistols for the first time today and can't believe that I've waited so long to purchase one. The only negative I could see was that the magazine release was shorter than I'm used to and required the use of my off-hand to activate without having to juggle the pistol.

JHansenAK47
March 4, 2008, 04:38 AM
My understanding from when I did research into buying another mag for my 82 is 83 mags are identical to 82 mags
The baseplate is different for surplus mags and new production mags. (some people like to make all their mags be exactly the same I don't think it matters)

tinygnat219
March 4, 2008, 05:23 AM
Just think, for the same price, you can get 1 6/8 CZ 52s...

Sorry, this is the best surplus deal going. It's actually a serviceable inexpensive, decent capacity, decent round, C&R, carry gun.

What's not to like?

CZguy
March 4, 2008, 06:26 AM
The baseplate is different for surplus mags and new production mags. (some people like to make all their mags be exactly the same I don't think it matters)

Sounds like they watch a lot of episodes of Monk. :D

What matters to me is that they function.

woad_yurt
March 4, 2008, 06:52 AM
Centerfire Systems is taking orders for 'em for $159.00.

Keeterbird
March 4, 2008, 06:53 AM
Well the only reason I know for not buying a CZ82 is the weakness of the trigger guard-that is also what holds the slide on. mine broke after only3,000 rounds. I found out that I could get a replacement from CZ for under $125. I was so upset I went out and bought two more 82s. I love this gun. It is more accurate than the glock, holds 12 rounds. None of mine have balked at anything, and I usually shoot Wolfe. The polygon rifling is wonderful.

This gun almost makes me a good shot. Both of mine show wear, but it is more carry wear rather than shooting wear. One of mine is scrateched and the handgrips look like they were painted with acid. The other looks great. Both guns shoot exceptionally well.

You can't get a better deal anywhere.

chuckusp45
March 4, 2008, 07:53 AM
I have not been able to find a CZ82 to hold, none of the gun shows that I have been to had them. How wide is the grip on the cz82? I have a Bulgarian Mak that I love to shot, but want a high capacity Mak.

Chuck

johnnyonthespot
March 4, 2008, 02:50 PM
well i bought one from across the counter at aimsurplus this morning...

i had them handpick one for me...

the worker told me that they were down to the slim pickens and that most of them didnt look that good that were left...

but they are selling on gun broker...

look to pay 50-100 more though...

this is a very durable, fantasticly ergonomic pistol...

really grips well..

mine has definately seen some rounds put thru it...

the finish is fantastic, but i cant see any rifling in it at all... it wont swallow a bullet at the muzzle though...

have to find a place to shoot her and get back with the range report...

there is a really snazzy cz p-01 9mm on gunbroker for 405.00 w/no reserve... 20 hrs left and a green finish...

i almost wish i would have put a cple more hundred together and bought the newer one...

but this cz-82 has some history under its belt...

very pleased to have a compact handgun for less than $225.00

johnnyonthespot
March 4, 2008, 03:47 PM
anybody know if you can replace a barrel on these things?

March 4, 2008, 04:12 PM
CZ 82 has polygonal rifling. The bore looks smooth. Probably nothing wrong with your barrel.

usp9
March 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
Concerning the rifling. One of my pistols is as close to smoothbore as a barrel can be. The other has a faint, but visible, twist to the barrel. I attribute this simply to quality control. Some barrels are better than other. FWIW, my smoothbore is accurate, though not as accurate as the other, newer CX82, with visible polygonal rifling.

CZguy
March 4, 2008, 04:35 PM
mine has definately seen some rounds put thru it...

the finish is fantastic, but i cant see any rifling in it at all... it wont swallow a bullet at the muzzle though...

I bought mine about a year ago, in un-issued as new condition. I thought the same thing that you did when I first looked at the bore.

The polygonal rifling on mine can only be seen with a good light, but it shoots very well.

johnnyonthespot
March 5, 2008, 12:37 AM
any idea where i can buy the wolf recoil spring upgrade for this gun?

also... what is the best ammo to put through the 82, and where can it be readily found?

usp9
March 5, 2008, 08:25 AM
http://www.gunsprings.com/

johnnyonthespot
March 5, 2008, 05:12 PM
hey thanks!

forums are awesome.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNAohtjG14c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNAohtjG14c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

johnnyonthespot
March 5, 2008, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAohtjG14c&eurl=http://www.youtube.com/user/stumptacular

tinygnat219
March 5, 2008, 05:56 PM
This is just dumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAoh...r/stumptacular

johnnyonthespot
March 6, 2008, 02:58 PM
well I bought mine tuesday morning in person at AIMsurplus...

handpicked... (but they forgot to charge me the $10.00fee!!!)

was told that the stock is winding down... i recommend getting one NOW...!!!!

the 50 rounds of ammo I grabbed was over $10.00.... not $6.50-$7.00 as previously mentioned and they said they were about out of that as well...

I had to update my drivers license to have my current address as per Ohio Law b4 I could buy a handgun...

drivers license=$24.00

Gun =$209.00

Background Check $15.00

so I got $248.00 in the gun AND my license is good to November 2011
(unless the real ID act comes before then)

and an additional $10.95 in 50 rounds of 9x18mm Makarov

I havent shot it yet... but it seems like a great deal to me... the pistol feels wonderful in the hands... very durable construction...

gotta like it so far, what do you guys think?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=74248&d=1204819950

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=74249&d=1204819961

CZguy
March 6, 2008, 03:19 PM
gotta like it so far, what do you guys think?

Looks like you got one that hasn't been used.

From what I can see of the ammo box in your photo, that's not the same brand that was $7.95 a box.

johnnyonthespot
March 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
ahh i c...

well mines definately been used... it still had powder in the barrel...
couple of slight scratches but i couldnt ask for more in a surplus weapon...

I never thought I would see surplus this nice, but Im new to it... now i know... there is some decent stuff out there...

what to get next? thats the question...

I just got a wonderful M1 Garand... people keep telling me not to shoot it... just let it gather interest... I dunno... i am still shoppin for ammo on the 30-06 M2

I think I am gonna start saving for another handgun...

maybe a walther ppk or a 1911 or somethin fun like that...

who knows...?

CZguy
March 6, 2008, 05:13 PM
I just got a wonderful M1 Garand... people keep telling me not to shoot it... just let it gather interest... I dunno...

There are many different views on this type of thing.

I'm of the opinion that it's OK if it goes up in value, but the reason I bought it, was for the fun of shooting it.

One vote for.........live a little........shoot the heck out of it.

what to get next? thats the question...

How about an SKS

Atlasx
March 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
I own a few CZs 97B 75B 40P 52s, all are fine guns but there are a bunch of Sig P6s or 225s if you will just hitting the surplus market. I just bought a couple last week and they are great! You might want to give them a look.

http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp

Dan did me right, should you be interested.

pistols are something that should "fit" you, feel good in the hand and have controls you can reach handily.

Atlasx

johnnyonthespot
March 7, 2008, 11:04 AM
I like the k98 mausers...

If they're in decent condition they seem like a good deal...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/WWII_German_K98_8mm_Mauser_Rifle.html

the sks is even more affordable...

who knows...

CountGlockula
March 7, 2008, 11:27 AM
Slide release levers will break...at least on a CZ-75 9mm.

CZguy
March 7, 2008, 12:07 PM
Slide release levers will break...at least on a CZ-75 9mm.

How about some more info of that. I've never heard of that happening.

jdc1244
March 7, 2008, 07:57 PM
I got my CZ 82 about a month ago. Itís not as nice as to one pictured but itís been very accurate and reliable. I put 150 rounds of nasty Wolf steel cased ammo through it w/o a problem. It can handle that junk it will shoot anything reliably.

johnnyonthespot
March 7, 2008, 08:29 PM
how accurate from what distances is one of these things anyone know of a link with alot of info about the 82???

harmon rabb
March 14, 2009, 09:40 AM
i just got my CZ-82 from www.classicarms.us and it is brand spankin new. quite obviously never issued and just sat in a crate after being manufactured. if i had known they had ones this good, i'd have ordered 3 or 4 of 'em.

i don't see how you can beat it for the price. modern pistol with an ambidextrous safety and mag release, that you can carry cocked and locked, for $200? sweet.

after field stripping it and cleaning it, i shot a hundred rounds through it. it's a very accurate gun and shoots nicely. it's a little punishing on the hand due to its small size and how it seems to kick backward rather than upward. of course, the lack of upward kick makes it really easy to target again after shooting a round.

my one real complaint is that the slide is damn hard to rack. the slide on my Sig is far easier to rack.

i happen to think it's a good looking gun, but i've heard others say they think it's butt ugly :o

grimjaw
March 14, 2009, 10:05 AM
Of all the unholy...

Thread started in 2006, raised from the grave in 2008, and now raised once again.

It's like a bad Friday 13th remake.

jm

harmon rabb
March 14, 2009, 10:15 AM
:evil:

jackinil
March 14, 2009, 11:32 AM
Just got this one in a trade this week-http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/jackinil/IMG_1015.jpg

searcher451
March 14, 2009, 12:05 PM
This discussion is enough to make me want to get one. SOG is advertising them for $179 at the moment, I think, marked down from $199, according to their most recent flyer (don't have it close by, but I think that's correct). Given the raves here, that's a tough price to beat for a quality handgun. My only concern has been the availability of the ammo, especially given the fact that everyone and their mother is in hoard-mode these days.

ccsniper
March 14, 2009, 12:19 PM

uhm... no

harmon rabb
March 14, 2009, 05:15 PM
searcher451, actually, 9mm makarov is easy to find, both locally and online. nearly every gun store stocks it, and it is one of the rounds NOT being hoarded. moreover, for whatever reason, my local gun store sells boxes of 25 hollowpoint 9mm mak's for only $13. i have stocked up.

BlackHand1917
March 14, 2009, 05:37 PM
With the big shortage of .380 Auto out there, it would seem to be to be very wise to get any pistol in 9 X 18 Makarov, the ammo is still on sale all over the web. The .380 situation is so bad I would happily trade my Bersa for anything in 9mmMAK, even though the Bersa is a neato pistol.

panther22
March 14, 2009, 06:04 PM
I found a nice CZ82 at a store Tuesday for $189. Just one mag, but the tan leather holster, lanyard string, and cleaning rod. My local shop has Brown Bear ammo for $10.50/box of 50. I hope to get out tomorrow and try her out, if it doesn't rain.

stilinsm
April 15, 2009, 12:34 AM
Panther22, where about in MO?

Got one of the last ones from centerfiresystems. Extremely clean with almost no holster wear. Came with 2 mags and holster delivered to FFL for just at $190.
Now just got to get out there and shoot...

toivo
April 15, 2009, 02:00 AM
Timely thread for me--I just got one! One of the "very good" from J&G, and I paid the extra $10 for hand-picked.

It's not in my possession yet--it sits in the FFL's safe until I can get the receipt over to the sheriff's office and get the pistol added to my permit. (Sings: "I love New York...") But I looked it over today and it looks great! No visible wear on the finish, which makes me really happy. It came with a regular black leather holster instead of one of those binocular-case type things. I should have it in my hands on the range this weekend.

ronnyreagan
April 15, 2009, 10:10 AM
I would order one soon if you want one. Classic Arms doesn't have them anymore, neither does Aim or Centerfire. I think J&G and SOG still have them but I wouldn't be surprised if they ran out soon.

stilinsm
April 15, 2009, 04:31 PM
looks like classicarms just got a new shipment. No holster and only 1 mag though. Supposed to be in great shape

dadcat069
February 24, 2010, 11:09 PM
I have had one for years and loved it. My home security system, among other things consists of a handgun in every room of the house. After discussion, the wife and I decided to standardize with 4 more of the $149 Good Condition 82s from CDNN. No extras that I won't need anyway, just the gun. Yeah they are scratched up and less than pretty, but for what I will be using them for I doubt looks will matter. Good spray paint is cheap.

Maybe I should buy a couple more just in case we decide to add onto the house later?

harmon rabb
February 25, 2010, 06:50 AM
well, can i convince you to not buy one from there?

www.classicarms.us has cz-82's for $200. mine came from them, and was quite obviously never used.

If you enjoyed reading about "Convince me not to buy a cz-82...please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!