David Lee Roth...

PDA

echo3mike
May 1, 2003, 02:48 PM
By The Associated Press

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - David Lee Roth got an unwanted visitor when a man being chased by police climbed over a fence and tried to hide in the rock star's yard.

The former Van Halen frontman's publicist said Roth used a shotgun to hold the man at bay until police arrived, but police spokeswoman Janet Pope could not confirm that Wednesday.

"He was laying on the grass when our officers arrived," Pope said of the man arrested.

She said Charles Cooley, 47, was being pursued by officers responding to complaints of someone throwing rocks at windows around 2 a.m. Saturday. He was arrested for investigation of amphetamine possession.

Roth publicist Lathum Nelson said the singer stood on his second-floor balcony and pointed a shotgun on the intruder until officers arrived.

"Dave cornered the guy with his shotgun. ... When the cops got there, he put the gun away," Nelson said Wednesday.

If you enjoyed reading about "David Lee Roth..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
May 1, 2003, 02:52 PM
Hey if David Lee Roth pointed a gun at me I sure as heck would be as non confrontational as possible because who knows what the drugs are telling his eyes.:rolleyes:

Actually good on Dave. Seems like he handled it very well.

Chris

cratz2
May 1, 2003, 02:55 PM
You go, David!

cordex
May 1, 2003, 03:39 PM
He was on Bob and Tom (radio show, for those who didn't know) talking about "martial arts".
As best as I can remember, the quote went something like this:
"You guys go ahead and give peace a chance. We'll cover you when things go bad."

PATH
May 1, 2003, 03:51 PM
Obviously more than just a gigolo! Way to go dude!

George Hill
May 1, 2003, 03:56 PM
http://tattoo.tut.by/celebritytattoos/david%20lee%20roth/dlrvid20.jpg

Shotgun was not really needed in this case.

TimH
May 1, 2003, 04:14 PM
Cordex...I like that quote :D

Standing Wolf
May 1, 2003, 05:08 PM
It's hard to argue with a shotgun.

Ledbetter
May 1, 2003, 06:14 PM
that guy would have been a more responsible citizen that day if he knew David Lee Roth would be holding him at shotgun point at day's end?

Yow.

What a story for the (delinquent) grandkids.

DeputyVaughn
May 1, 2003, 06:59 PM
I always thought David Lee Roth was a uh....."Richardhead"....but I'll give him credit for this one.

Scott

Ol' Badger
May 1, 2003, 07:02 PM
You know he's gett'n old when he's home sleeping at 2am :D

BamBam-31
May 1, 2003, 07:03 PM
He should have followed the boomstick with Van Halen songs from a boombox. Or would that be cruel and unusual punishment? :D

RTFM
May 1, 2003, 07:22 PM
George Hill, :D

Could you immagine the thugs look :what: that face and a side by side in his snoot. :D

Miss Demeanors
May 1, 2003, 07:40 PM
I wonder if he told the guy to go ahead and jump? :D

Way to go Dave!

HABU
May 1, 2003, 07:51 PM
Im suprised Dave didn't run down and start doing a kata in front of the guy or do some flying upside down back kicks in the perps general direction.

He must be getting old.

coonan357
May 1, 2003, 08:24 PM
new Van halen song ... make a move and I gonna make you a lady...( sung to the theme of dude looks like a lady) :rolleyes:

gburner
May 1, 2003, 11:01 PM
I understood that he had signs posted on his property that read...IF YOU ARE FOUND HERE TONIGHT, YOU WILL BE FOUND HERE IN THE MORNING. good on him.

DAL
May 2, 2003, 01:01 AM
I don't really have anything to add to THIS discussion, but I just wanted to say the Van Halen is SOOO boring since DLR left.
DAL

jmbg29
May 2, 2003, 02:16 AM
booz-de-booz-de-bop-diddy-bop!:scrutiny: :D

Open Carry
May 2, 2003, 03:19 AM
DLR was busted for drug possession in New York City some time ago. Is he not a prohibited posessor?

Gray Peterson
May 2, 2003, 03:42 AM
Misdemeanor offense? Probably not.

Open Carry
May 2, 2003, 04:03 AM
(B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms?

Yes, a person who –

(1) Has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
(2) Is a fugitive from justice;
[B](3) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa;
(6) Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
(7) Having been a citizen of the United states, has renounced his or her 8 citizenship;
(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
(9) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm. A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm. Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information. [18 U. S. C. 922( g) and (n), 27 CFR 178.32( a) and (b)]

Monte Harrison
May 2, 2003, 10:35 AM
...( sung to the theme of dude looks like a lady) Sorry man, that's an Aerosmith song. But supposedly Steve Tyler is a gun guy, too.

hksw
May 2, 2003, 11:53 AM
It was for a $10 bag of marijuana.

makdaddy03
May 2, 2003, 12:52 PM
Way to go Dave!! I would have loved to seen the look on that intruders face. Just imagine David Lee Roth with a shotgun. Wheww!!!!

DAL
May 2, 2003, 02:04 PM
Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance

Shouldn't the character and ability of the person involved be considered instead of some arbitrary law passed by alcohol-drinking hypocrites? There was an insane time in this country when alcohol was prohibited. Should those who ignored that prohibition have been barred from owning and using firearms? Of course not.

And how many other laws do those here break everyday? Like speeding? Speeding could arguably cause many innocent deaths.

Yeah, I know people are going to jump on me about this. I'm used to it, and I don't even use drugs. In fact, I average less than a drink a week. But I know enough about history and human behavior (I've got two recovering-alcoholic parents) to know ain't nobody gonna stop drug use except the user.

If DLR owns and uses guns responsibly, I have no problem what idiotic substance he puts in his body, even though I may not agree with his use. It's not ipso facto that since he uses drugs he is not a responsible citizen. This kind of "thinking" has helped to bar citizens from hunting or owning/possessing guns because of non-violent domestic charges for life. (I consider anything short of actual hitting to be non-violent behavior. Yelling and verbal abuse should not count. If it did, few married men here would pass this test.)

Man, talk about going off on tangents...
DAL

Shalako
May 2, 2003, 03:53 PM
I tried the marijuana once, but I didn't exhale.

Sorry, J/K

keyhole
May 2, 2003, 04:43 PM
OK, maybe Dave's not addicted, or still using. Still, a good one for him!:cool:

Mannlicher
May 2, 2003, 08:18 PM
Of course, this story of the valient David Lee Roth with a shotgun turns out to be totally bogus. What a surprise. Another drugged out celeb making up life as he goes. What a loser.

coonan357
May 2, 2003, 08:26 PM
well thats what I get for not listening to rock and roll ...:D

Now country on the other hand....:rolleyes:

firestar
May 2, 2003, 10:17 PM
She said Charles Cooley, 47, was being pursued by officers responding to complaints of someone throwing rocks at windows around 2 a.m. Saturday.

Its Ernest T. Bass! :what:

hksw
May 2, 2003, 11:31 PM
"She called me a creature!" - ETB

45King
May 3, 2003, 08:22 AM
Shalako wrote:I tried the marijuana once, but I didn't exhale.

Don't say that, man, someone might mistake you for Jerry Brown!
:D

JSR
May 3, 2003, 04:33 PM
But supposedly Steve Tyler is a gun guy, too.
As is Joe Perry. Uncle Ted's dubbed them the "Rootin',No More Tootin',Shootin' Ballistic Twins". Kinda got a ring to it.
Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "David Lee Roth..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!