.270wsm ammo for close to med range deer

PDA

Karbon
June 30, 2006, 04:56 PM
Continuing my long, drawn out research tendenciesÖIíve now been searching for the right ammunition for my deer rifle. I hope this is a quicker process since I made plans to shoot next weekend.

I have received several suggestions (big thanks to several of you) to use the Nosler Accubonds, since they expand and hold up (read NO BLOW UP) at close ranges like 15-80 yards yet still perform well at 150-250. I can expect a 75/25 split between close and mid range opportunities so I need something that will hold up at the 3000fps speeds.

Anyone have any stories, suggestions, opinions on what to use out of the .270 wsm for short to medium ranges?

Grain and/or designÖ

Please do not criticize my choice in the .270 wsm, I have heard it all before. Now that I have the Tikka, itís too late anyway.

My plan is to buy both the Winchester Supreme and Federal 140gr Accubonds and go with whatever my Tikka likes best. I just want to make the best educated decision (based on the facts Iíve read) and hopefully from some of the peopleís experiences here at THR. Thanks in advance.

Karbon

If you enjoyed reading about ".270wsm ammo for close to med range deer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marshall
June 30, 2006, 09:02 PM
Don't mean to be vague, but at the range you're inquiring about, most any choice of the 270 wsm's will do the job. Shoot what your gun likes and what you feel comfortable with. Where you hit the deer has more to do with it. ;)

I don't know what others have said, though I can imagine, but hey, nice gun. Good luck!

rangerruck
June 30, 2006, 09:44 PM
ahh.... the 270 fatty is a fine round, nice gains over the origional.

Mannlicher
June 30, 2006, 09:44 PM
I don't know a lot about the WSM cartridge offerings, but deer don't take a lot of killing, and they are not the size of Moose. Congrats on the Tikka though, nice rifle :)

Karbon
June 30, 2006, 10:09 PM
I am just worried about too much expansion (BT) or too little with a solid round that fast...

Last thing I want is a lost deer or 4 hours of tracking little blood. I realize that shot placement is everything, but I just want to make sure my equipment is all set. One less thing I need to think (worry) about when the heart is pounding, knees get shaky, and I'm trying to squeeze off a round at the perfect shot.

Karbon
July 1, 2006, 01:45 PM
Anyone else???

Deer Hunter
July 1, 2006, 05:00 PM
I've killed all my deer (except for a 9-point last season, and my first deer with an sks) with Remington Core-lokts. I've never had to chase any of them down.

Just a suggestion. I've never tried many other bullets.

Karbon
July 1, 2006, 05:32 PM
From http://www.shortmags.orgI read that at close ranges and at the velocities reached (with the shortmags) a bonded bullet like the Accubond is highly recomended. Again they too stated that the BT's may just expand to much at close ranges at speeds 3000fps and above.

My range test next weekend will be the 140 Accubonds fromm both Federal and Winchester.

killzone
July 2, 2006, 07:35 PM
.270 WSM is nice and hard hitting. Dont worry , you'll take any deer with the 140 grains bullet. Just make sure to use accu bond.

Karbon
July 3, 2006, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys. I have been leaning towards the Accubonds. Better safe than sorry is what I'm thinking, but I guess that's obvious since I chose a .270wsm for deer.

I'll report my range results after I go this weekend.

If you enjoyed reading about ".270wsm ammo for close to med range deer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!