Should I change scope?

PDA

VeT|Us
June 30, 2006, 06:28 PM
So, this is the situation;

I got some money due, and I've recently scoped and zeroed my new 1894C with a Tasco 3-9x40 which I stole from my CZ452.
The scope has served me faithfully for 6 years, with no problems.
However, I'm considering buying a Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 scope instead, and I need your input, is it just a waste of money to change?

While I'm used to the 3-9x, the fact that the least magnification is 3x, makes it utter slow in close quarters. It handles great inside my house, but the thing that slows me down is target aquisition at short ranges. It's a short range carbine, not intended to be used for any more than 100 meters,
and wouldn't I be better of with a faster 1-4x scope than a full 3-9x scope?

Also, cant you aim with both eyes open with a scope on 1x?
I've gotten worried practising to clear my house, and beeing so utterly slow to aquire a target through the 3x scope.

So, swap scope for a 1-4x, or stay with 3-9x?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I change scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
asknight
July 3, 2006, 08:13 PM
For CQB, either swap the scope for what you mentioned, a red dot, or open sights. Open sights will be better for your purposes than the 3-9x40.

Yes, you can aim with both eyes open through 1x. Many instructors are now teaching to keep both eyes open regardless of the sight or optic being used.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
July 5, 2006, 05:14 PM
Then you don't need a scope on a lever action carbine. Yes, it's meant to be shot with open sights. You'll have much faster target aquisition at the shorter distances with open sights. If you want to shoot a little further, then install a Lyman Flip-up Tang Peep Sight.

One of the many things dad taught me.. If you can see antlers, you're within 200yds. If you can count points, any, then you're probably within 100yds. Put the little gold front bead on the kill zone, line up the rear. Squeeze the trigger. Dead deer.

Can you shoot through a scope with both eyes open? I can. Most of us have a domninant eye. Using it is pretty easy to manage. If you don't have a dominant eye, (that is the side you want to sight with), then it's a bit more difficult, but you can train yourself to do it. For most people it's not natural. Good shooters do master this over time.

I'll suggest to anyone though, Shoot that weaker caliber carbine with open sights. Learn to shoot that way. You'll be a better shot in the long run. Scopes on weaker carbines all too often let the shooter/hunter attempt a longer shot than the cartridge is capable of.

-Steve

VeT|Us
July 5, 2006, 05:47 PM
I probably cant since I'm pretty nearsighted, so I need optics on my gun.
Might just as well try to throw my bullets at the target without'em.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I change scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!