The Last Coyote

PDA

George Hill
June 30, 2006, 05:28 PM
I may have done something really stupid, or pretty smart... I don't know which yet.
The other day a fellow came in and purchased every Winchester rifle we had with a wood stock. He left only one, because we had 2 of them and he only needed one of each. After he left with rifles stacked like cord wood in the back of his truck (I'm not kidding) I looked at our Winchesters... we had 4 left. We had a couple Super Shadows and a Coyote SS in 270 WSM.
Well, I pulled out my CZ P-01 and traded it in on the Coyote. It's not that I didn't like the P-01 anymore. Nooo... that's not it. I could buy another one if I have to. And would... but I plan on buying it back. In the mean time, I have one of the last Coyotes ever, and the last one in the Uintah Basin.
I checked around with other gun shops... and no one has any Winchesters left at all.
This might have been smart... might have been foolish... time will tell. In the mean time, I'm the proud owner of a very nice rifle. It has a deep reddish brown stock, blued receiver and a stainless barrel. Investment or splurge is yet to be seen, but pretty much I'm planning on this being an investment item.
If I decide to shoot it, I'm going to top it off with either a Nikon Monarch scope or a Carl Zeiss. It could be used on Coyotes, Deer, Lopes, or other such critters... It's not a Elk Cannon, but then again I don't see myself ever going after any Elk. But I wouldn't mind at all a freezer full of good venison.
Values of various Winchesters have really started to take off. Not sure about the Coyotes.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Last Coyote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sharpdogs
June 30, 2006, 05:37 PM
I would say pretty smart. I wish I grabbed a few more Winchesters. The only one I have is a 1300.

Justin
June 30, 2006, 05:49 PM
Only time will tell if it was a smart investment choice, but I think it will prove to be a wise choice.

lawson
June 30, 2006, 09:36 PM
sounds like you made a wise choice. my buddy has a Coyote in .22-250, and he uses it for almost everything, despite owning at least 20 other hunting rifles (he's the most serious hunter in our group, and has the freezers to prove it).

i shot it a few times, and it was way more accurate than i am. he easily put five rounds in the same hole at 100yds from a rest. i like the idea of combining varmint and game rifle features. he once bagged an elk with it, and dropped it in one shot. i never doubted the .22-250 again.

anyway, i'm starting to ramble on. like you said, you can easily get another p-01

Dionysusigma
June 30, 2006, 09:41 PM
I'm not worried, personally. Never had a need for any of Winchester's designs, myself... their calibers (aside from .308) weren't really all that different for the kind(s) of shooting I do. Never really liked the looks of 'em, either.

I guess if it makes you happy, then I'm glad you went for it. :)

Larry Ashcraft
June 30, 2006, 09:49 PM
270 WSM
It's not a Elk Cannon
I disagree. The .270 Win has taken plenty of elk in the hands of competent riflemen. My dad killed about 35 elk in his hunting career, and I bet at least 25 were taken with his .270 (Five-digit SN M70, BTW).

Congratulations on your new purchase!

UnintendedConsequences
July 1, 2006, 07:52 AM
While the price of firearms continues to creep up each year, when you talk about "investment" or "collector value" a good part of that is based on what you are willing to sell it for and what someone is willing to pay for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your purchase because I know you are happy with the rifle regardless of future collector value because it is one of the last Winchester M70s made at an American factory.

My point is, if you want it for collector value alone, and expect someone to pay a premium for a new in box, unfired Winchester M70 Coyote that may take years, perhaps decades, and there is no 100 percent certainty that you will get a princely sum of money for it, but you might.

To me this row over the escalation of free market prices on all the pre and post-1964 Winchesters reminds me of the tulip mania in Holland so very long ago and the dot com stock bubble of the late 1990s into the early 2000s. When you get down to it, an inanimate object's true value resides in what one is willing to pay for it and what inherent value it has. If you just want to look at a pretty gun, so be it. I would rather shoot them and use them as they were designed, to put projectiles downrange.

As far as I'm concerned, most military surplus firearms will likely be better choices for me since I like ruggedly built firearms. Unless a commercial civilian firearm is a left-hand bolt or otherwise left hand friendly, it doesn't have much value to me as I am a lefty, however I can overlook the right handedness of military arms because they are built to last.

It may be an insult, but even a Winchester Model 70 or Model 94 is just a firearm, perhaps with some different design features than another manufacturer's and different outward appearance, but it is still just a firearm. I think people are getting too wrapped up in perceived value to notice what the real value of a firearm is and where it is, that is to be fired and used as intended. One overpriced post-64 Winchester price tag right now would likely get me three or four Savage Arms rifles each in a different caliber and I would get more use out of the bigger battery of arms and they would be just as accurate or more so than the one Winchester. Perhaps I am too practical a thinker.

Sorry for the thread drift. :p :rolleyes:

Art Eatman
July 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
UC, the mindset of collectors is just different. You might as well leave it at that.

Pre-64 Model 70s, old coins, old cars, paintings: People want that stuff and the supply is obviously limited. Economics 101 in a free market, at work as the marketplace intended.

The hard part at any point in time is figuring out what sort of stuff will be in greater demand in the future. :)

Art

Gordon
July 1, 2006, 12:41 PM
Yup my 1955 model 70 in .270 Win ain't going no where -but UP$ :D

Vern Humphrey
July 1, 2006, 12:58 PM
Make me an offer on my 1939 Model 70 -- I need a good laugh.:D

GreyMauser
July 1, 2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I paid up for one of the last Model 70's, a 243 in walnut and blue, with schnable forend. Partly tulip bulb mania, partly that I have an affection for the lines. In any light an emotion-based purchase and not one based on investment analysis.

I'll scope it and shoot it, maybe modify it, and let my heirs decide whether to do more of the same, or sell it.

My 1946 cloverleaf tang model 70, in 270, is off at the barrelmaker's. It'll come back as a 25-06.

These are two of my five model 70's, all used and useful. Just because I don't think of them as investments doesn't mean I shouldn't be diversified.

July 1, 2006, 08:52 PM
Jees, I wonder what that will make my Creighten Audette-built pre-64 model 70 bull-barrel target rifle worth? Never mind; I don't want to know; if I did I might start to think about selling it...

George Hill
July 3, 2006, 03:41 PM
One customer just brought in a NIB Winchester 70 Coyote in .223WSSM. 1 hour later it was gone again. Another guy came in looking for anything else with the Winchester name. We are down to 2 Super Shadows and a Defender.
I'm sure mine would be a heck of a good shooter... but I dont think I'm going to just yet. Maybe sit on it for a year and see where the market is at then.

Clipper
July 3, 2006, 09:24 PM
...But my M-70 featherweight in .25WSSM is accurate, lighter recoiling than my dad's Rem M-722 .257 Roberts, and one of the prettiest rifles (I think) ever. It was also the only one within 100 miles when I bought it 3 months ago...

If you enjoyed reading about "The Last Coyote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!