Howdy

PDA

Wibb
June 30, 2006, 07:15 PM
This is my first post, I've been lurking as a guest for awhile and finally decided to join the party. There is a wealth of knowledge floating around here. Now on to the business of the first post... :cool:

How do you all remove knicks and scratches from your long-gun stocks? Is there a tried and true method without doing a total refinish? I've been trying to find some valuable info on this but must be looking in the wrong direction. Thanks for any help.

Curt

If you enjoyed reading about "Howdy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thefabulousfink
June 30, 2006, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the High Road!

If the wood just has light scuffs so it is no longer a mirror finish, you could try buffing it with a cloth and some furniture polish or linseed oil. Deeper scratches and dents will require going down to bare wood. Light scratches can be sanded out, deeper cuts can be filled by mixing sawdust (of the same wood type) with diluted wood glue. Dents can be wetted with water and then heated with an iron to expand the wood.

And those are just the few tricks that I know, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can probably find a goos answer to your question.

If you enjoyed reading about "Howdy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!