m1 garand loading

PDA

7mmsavage
June 30, 2006, 09:58 PM
I recently purchased my first m1 garand, when I insert a clip into the magazine, the bolt does not close without being pushed to get it started. Anyone have any experiences like this ?

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 garand loading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
musher
June 30, 2006, 10:01 PM
Pretty normal for them to need a little tap to close on the first round.

Tory
June 30, 2006, 10:27 PM
both from the CMP and both had / have to have a heel of the palm to the bolt to close on the first round.

Fine w/me; I don't want "M-1 Thumb!" :eek:

Bainx
June 30, 2006, 10:28 PM
slam the hell out of it young man. That is what it takes!

hillbilly
June 30, 2006, 10:38 PM
This is standard loading procedure with Garands.

In fact, when you smack it, use the same edge of your hand that your thumb is on. Only be sure to keep your thumb stuck up so you don't smack your thumb.

I try to hit my hand edge right where my forefinger joins onto my palm as I get more leverage than with just fingers.

I insert clip while controlling the bolt with the pinky edge of my hand, then quickly release and a little smack forward with the other edge of my hand.

hillbill

loadedround
July 1, 2006, 06:02 PM
Many times after your Garand wears in the bolt will close when you lock your clip in place. That's why you're taught to hold back the slide release with the knife edge of your hand. I carried one.

GarandOwner
July 1, 2006, 11:17 PM
Congrats on your new rifle. The M1 is an excellent choice. As for "Pushing" the handle: Personally I think its fun to smack the operating rod handle to load the first round. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 garand loading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!