PDA

Drizzt
May 1, 2003, 06:30 PM
The Indianapolis Star

April 30, 2003 Wednesday City final Edition

SECTION: CITY STATE; Pg. 1B

LENGTH: 259 words

HEADLINE: Cop kills goose that pecked his dog;
Officer faces possible 1-day suspension for killing aggressive bird trying to protect its nest.

BYLINE: BY TOM SPALDING TOM.SPALDING@INDYSTAR.COM

BODY:
The seesawing Indianapolis feud between humans and Canada geese has escalated again, this time after an angry bird pecked a fight with the wrong man.

Indianapolis Police Officer Mitch Waters was letting his K-9 partner take care of business when a goose, trying to protect a nearby nest, swooped over a fence and nipped at the dog's nose.

Waters opened fire.

"He did what he thought he had to do to protect his dog," said spokesman Lt. Paul Ciesielski of the Indianapolis Police Department.

The goose did not survive.

Now Waters could be in trouble, too. His supervisor has recommended a one-day suspension for unnecessary use of a firearm in the April 13 shooting.

The recommendation will be considered by an IPD firearms review board and possibly by Chief Jerry Barker.

Waters couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday.

Canada geese, estimated at more than 100,000 in the state, have found Indiana a great place to settle down and raise families.

But they are messy and highly aggressive around their nests -- traits that sparked several run-ins this month.

Two condo owners were investigated after allegedly destroying nests, and a Plainfield man was treated at a hospital after being knocked to the ground and pecked bloody by two geese guarding their eggs.

The birds have become such a headache that state officials persuaded federal authorities to grant 1,800 permits to destroy goose nests this year.

The permits let eggs be destroyed but don't allow killing of adult birds.

If you enjoyed reading about "(IN) Cop kills goose that pecked his dog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
May 1, 2003, 06:41 PM
Only 100K geese here? Is that just Indy? Why are all these stupid birds here in the gritty, Industrial Nort? Do they have factory jobs, office or research jobs or something? Low taxes on their nests? Skuls are better for goslings? Why are you stupid birds here?

Here in my city they are nothing but a nusiance. Do their business all over the parking lots and parks. Hang out on the bridges over the Wabash and befoul them. One even chased a poor girl across the grocery store parking lot last weekend. Good thing I missed with my assault SUV!

Wish our THR bird/critter killers would be allowed to do their thing. :D

12-34hom
May 1, 2003, 06:45 PM
Noble birds.

As far as eating them = Flying carp.

12-34hom

gun-fucious
May 1, 2003, 06:57 PM
two of the noble beasties wandered out on the highway i was traveling upon this morning

the geese are nesting in median strips and inside cloverleafs

next year there will be 4x more

when one gets hit, the mate freaks out and attacks traffic

we need more coyotes and weasles!

CZ-75
May 1, 2003, 06:58 PM
Their dropings are numerous and slightly smaller than the piles left by large ruminants.

A sjambok would be an excellent acoutrement for talking a walk in areas infested by these things.

spacemanspiff
May 1, 2003, 06:59 PM
canadian geese up here in anchorage have quickly become a major problem. it used to be cute and whatnot to have highway traffic come to a stop so mama and her babies could cross the street. even big semi trucks screech to a halt for them. but now that the marshes and swamps are being developed into housing subdivisions, their habitat is disappearing. they still try to nest where they used to, even if thats on bike paths, in parking lots, etc. they arent too aggressive, but still people give them a wide berth.
around the airport they are a worse problem. they get sucked into the jet engines and enough of them could pose serious risk to a jet trying to land or take off. Fish & Game decided to let people get permits to take their eggs, many of the natives consider goose eggs a delicacy, but not nearly as good as seagull eggs. they also use firecrackers and electronic devices to scare the birds away, but they are quite stubborn.

4v50 Gary
May 1, 2003, 07:52 PM
A one day suspension is better than Federal charges.

Taste like carp? Geez, who's cooking your goose? Mine tastes just like chicken (kidding).

Chris Rhines
May 1, 2003, 07:57 PM
Anything, and I do mean anything, that happens to geese is fine with me.

- Chris

Dash Riprock
May 1, 2003, 08:32 PM
I hope the feds do get involved. You know they would if one of us commoners had done
that. Let sauce for the goose be sauce for the gander.

billybaus
May 1, 2003, 08:33 PM
Around here we borrowed a western term, i belive art said it,

shoot, shovel, and shut up. they are targets of opportunity out here in bfe

HABU
May 1, 2003, 08:59 PM
a Plainfield man was treated at a hospital after being knocked to the ground and pecked bloody by two geese guarding their eggs. :confused: :confused: :what: I know about agressive gooses, but you gotta be a wuss to have 2 geeses knock you down and peck you bloody.:neener: Prolly a PETA member that didn't want to hurt a poor goose.:rolleyes:

Jim March
May 1, 2003, 09:13 PM
One of the funniest things I've ever seen was the time Mikey the ferret walked up to a goose in Golden Gate Park (San Francisco).

He looked up at the goose from about two feet away. The goose looks down at him, and hisses. So Mikey hisses right back (yes, ferrets can hiss). They kept it up, politely taking turns, for about 2 minutes or so...when mutual boredom set in and they wandered off in separate directions.

:rolleyes:

coonan357
May 1, 2003, 09:14 PM
a canuk goose has a wing span of over 10 feet we used geese as gaurd dogs on the farm . until one decided to chase granpa goose vs. 12 gauge at close range 12 gauge won , if you ever gotten bitten by a goose its something you don't forget Beleive me I know ( and I didn't feel sorry for that Sob getting shot ) and another thing I rather eat a bucket of lard than a goose ....its less greasy .:D

280PLUS
May 1, 2003, 09:36 PM
i used to run into this nut case goose at a location where i worked occasionally.

it would spend all its time pecking at it's own reflection in my trucks bumper.

which was ok cause i heard that if it wasn't doing that it would be pecking at me.

it wasnt a little goose either...

:what:

Betty
May 1, 2003, 09:47 PM
I'm sure the dog could have defended itself well enough if it felt threatened. He's probably a bit embarassed over the whole situation. :p

I used to have chickens and ducks. One rooster insisted on being top of the pecking order, and that order apparently included me. He flew up in the air and attacked me with his beak and clawed feet. And I responded with my right foot. WHUMP! He bobbled his tiny bird-brain head and charged again. This time, I grabbed a length of PVC pipe and whacked him with that. Don't ever underestimate a tool using human! :p

The rooster, upon escaping his caged area, died a painful death between the teeth of one of my boxers.

cordex
May 1, 2003, 10:45 PM
I'm actually at IUPUI in downtown Indianapolis right now. These little feather-pluckin' beasties have at least two nests on campus (one on top of the library, no less).
Never had one attack me though.
I'm with Betty ... shouldn't a police K-9 pup be capable of tearing a goose up pretty quickly?
Still, I'd have loved to see the cop nail the goose.

Skunkabilly
May 1, 2003, 11:06 PM
Runt, LOL!!!!!!!

As for the geese, I have 4 words: Benelli Super Black Eagle.

Horsesense
May 1, 2003, 11:24 PM
I have been told that if you get a swan, it will run off all the geese.

Hardtarget
May 1, 2003, 11:53 PM
A friend gave me the secret for "cooking your goose"...as follows.
First, get a two rack smoker. Now get a turkey. Put the goose on the top rack, turkey on bottom rack. Cook. When all is done...throw away the goose and enjoy the turkey. Drippings from goose will keep turkey nice and moist. I might try this soon...if I can find a goose. :D
Mark

firestar
May 2, 2003, 12:08 AM
Do you think that cop used enough force? Maybe he should have used a .50 cal belt fed.:rolleyes: What a putz!:neener: Trigger happy cowboys.:rolleyes: If one of us had done this, I garantee that we would have had a one way trip to the slammer and not a slap on the wrist.

cratz2
May 2, 2003, 01:30 AM
There was just another story involving a lady clearing the nest of a Canada goose a couple weeks ago. Goose came back and got dealt with which caused a ruckus. How do you spell ruckus? :p

As far as 100,000 Canada geese in Indiana, if thatts truly an accurate number, then I'm pretty sure I know where half of them are... on Georgetown Road between 71st and 75th Streets. We used to complain about them all the time... just general bickering really. Worked with this one guy guy that was always talking about how pretty they were etc... We even had a couple unfriendly words about it. One day, he was walking up towards the entrance of the building and one startled him by jumping out of the bushes. Well, I guess he kicked at it with one foot, lost his balance, stumbled and broke the ankle of his other leg. :p There's is no sweeter victory than irony involving broken bones. ;)

larry_minn
May 2, 2003, 03:06 AM
They can be tasty if you know what you are doing. Not worth the trouble IMO. They are a pest and if it had been a dog that attacked the K9 wouldn't it have been ok to destroy the other dog? Lots of training and time/loyalty has to be built up for a good K9 team.
I would kill a goose if it was attacking any of my family or even my sisters dog. Doubt I would shoot it but if in rural area might.
This reminds me to see if I can pick up a neusence permit to do some target practice for some of the local land owners. Not sure of law/rules but understand they can get permission to destroy geese/animals that are harming crops/livestock and "hired" help can do the work. :)

Apple a Day
May 2, 2003, 07:33 AM
Millions of years ago there were some very aggressive geese at the "duck pond" at Georgia Southern campus. People used to run from them. They would attack unless you threw them something. I got attacked , made a sort of goose shadow puppet with my hand, stuck it in one goose's face and hissed right back. The goose backed down, confused.
This wend on for about a week at least twice a day when I crossed the center of campus. After that the geese learned to ignore me. My friends were astounded that I could walk between the two ponds without being assaulted. :evil:

DadOfThree
May 2, 2003, 09:46 AM
I know about agressive gooses, but you gotta be a wuss to have 2 geeses knock you down and peck you bloody. Prolly a PETA member that didn't want to hurt a poor goose
I read that this guy was recovering from spinal surgery. Once he fell, he couldn't get back up. That what geese do, they cull the weak and injured from the herd! :D

XLMiguel
May 2, 2003, 11:18 AM
The g-- d--- geese around here don't migrate, thye just hang aound and poop. A lot.. They're annnoying and a public health problem, but the bunny hugggers stick up for them.

As far as destroying the eggs go - it's awaste of time - they just lay more. The proper thing to do is 'addle' them, i.e. shake them violently to scramble the insides. That way the stupid birds will continue to sit on them, but no more little poop machines. Addling is a team sport - the trick is to distract the geese off the nest while someone does the deed.

Poodleshooter
May 2, 2003, 11:52 AM
Non-migratory geese make excellent "intro to waterfowling" prey. The ones down here on the James mock me all summer, but when the early September season rolls around, my Faststeel BB's get the last honk. Too bad I can't cook them well. Every recipe I try ends up producing goose jerky.
Non-migratory geese seem to have become the larger nastier equivalent of those audacious little park squirrels.

Ol' Badger
May 2, 2003, 12:20 PM
Ok. Here’s what a friend of mine did when geese made a nest in his back yard. At first he let them be and all was well. Then he had to mow the yard and was pecked in the crotch very badly by said geese. He fixed the problem with his Samurai sword that he bought from Cold Steel I think. The worst part was the eggs stayed all summer and I picked them up in the fall and one exploded in my face. I had the worst smelly green **** and it tasted awful.:barf:

Bergeron
May 2, 2003, 12:45 PM
Back to the Robocop who started this whole mess...

Did this officer not have any nonfirearms force options available to him?:confused: Number one, any dog that gets its butt kicked by a goose is not a dog I want to have serving as a K-9. Number two, considering that the dog was otherwise occupied, and granted, it's probably pretty humiliating to see your dog get pecked by a goose while he's trying to take care of buisness, I would have seen nothing wrong with a whupping of the goose by Mr. Happy Baton, could have still killed the stupid bird, but without using the gun.

I think that this does set a bit of a double standard if nothing happens to the officer. We are rightly told to only deploy our arms to defend ourselves and our loved ones from immediate and grave bodily harm, but this guy can go ahead and blast birds that mess with his dog?:scrutiny:

Speaking of the nonfirearm option though, a pepper-sprayed goose would probably be a very funny sight.

CZ-75
May 2, 2003, 01:17 PM
shouldn't a police K-9 pup be capable of tearing a goose up pretty quickly?

I think K-9s are too expensive to let get injured. What if the goose got his eye? That's around $10K or more down the drain.

Bergeron
May 2, 2003, 01:25 PM
That's a pretty well trained dog, not to tear up a bird that's pecking at it.

rebbryan
May 2, 2003, 02:34 PM
it was assault on a police officer, good shootin

don't know about police dogs, but bomb dogs cost at least 30,000 to train

Newt
May 2, 2003, 03:17 PM
I'm with Bergeron on this one. The only things lower than a goose on the food chain is the easter bunny and that timid little mouse down in the basement. A 10K dollar K9 should've torn that thing's head right off it's shoulders.

As far as the shooting goes... I don't think that guy should get just a slap on the wrist for shooting said goose. If I'd been in a rural place with a sidearm on me... I'd have probably blasted it too. I agree with all that said, if it would have been an everyday "Joe" that shot that goose, he would've been in a lot more trouble than that. Surely the cop could've kicked the thing away until he had time to get his dog and go. There's my 2 cents.

45R
May 2, 2003, 03:22 PM
Not to be a jerk about this or anything but I'd like to play devils advocate here.....

I say this respectfully.

Now if it was a person that pecked or punched at a "police officer" would that warrant such force? (Probably not)

If a perp was fleeing the scene and the dog chasing took a punch or kick, is it justified to use deadly force on the perp?

Not too long ago an officer shot a family dog during a felony traffic stop. I am sure that we all remember this. The tiny dog was sent to doggy heavan by the officers 870. Everyone was pissed. I dont understand why everyone here is all for the officer.......

The Goose was protecting his nest.............it wasnt like the dog was in danger...

:fire:

El Tejon
May 2, 2003, 03:24 PM
The goose wasn't anyone's property. The Southern doggie wasn't a pest like Yankee geese.

45R
May 2, 2003, 04:17 PM
Can someone post a picture of this so called Yankee Goose. :) I want to see the monster with my own eyes.

firestar
May 2, 2003, 05:55 PM
If the cop felt the need to use his gun on a goose that pecked his wittle-bittle doggie, what do you think he would do to your grandma if she poked his dog with her cane?:uhoh: He would probably think his dog's life was in danger again and blast the old hag.:D

That cop sound like a bully and a coward. Whatever happend to shewing it away? I live in Indiana and I can honestly say that I have never been in fear for my life or my dog's life from a goose. Yes they are big and surprisingly nasty for a bird but they are mostly show. Cops have WAY too much power and we need to put them back in their place. They are not Gods and they are not supposed to be able to do whatever they feel like doing. This kind of thing happens all the time around here and people are getting sick of the beligerant attitude of these cops. Every couple of months, a cop is suspended with pay for doing things that you or I would go to jail for *without pay).

I don't hate all cops, my friend is a cop and he told me once that he feels that about 80% of cops shouldn't even have their jobs because they have the wrong kind of attitude. How many people here feel safe and relaxed when they see a cop around? Not me, I feel like, oh S$%T, what is he going to try and pull now? I am about as law abiding as they come but I am getting sick of the power game they try and play with you. If you don't kiss their A$$, they will find something to bust you for.

12-34hom
May 2, 2003, 08:58 PM
Firestar, you need to go to the doc and have him prescribe a large dose of CHILL PILLs.... for your condition.

Serenity now..;)

12-34hom.

Watchman
May 2, 2003, 09:08 PM
I think I would have whacked its tail with my ASP.

IF that didnt work, an ASP to the head would have killed it.

Nice and quiet like, and nobody had to know....
:what:

Kcustom45
May 3, 2003, 01:02 AM
I cannot speak for the cop, but if I had to guess I would say that wasn't actually afraid for the life of his dog or himself. He was probably thinking what a lot of people here said, that the goose is a pest and should be dealt with as such. Did he have to use his gun? Probably not, but maybe that was the only thing he had on him at the time. I have no problems with him shooting the goose as long as it was done safely.

Dash Riprock
May 3, 2003, 05:02 AM
Kcustom45,

I pretty much agree with your analysis of the situation-the cop got PO ed at the goose, and he shot it. I’ve been tempted to do the same thing a bunch of times. The problems that I have are:

1) His story was absolute B.S. No police dog is in danger from goose pecks, unless they are using poodles for K-9's in Hoosier land.

2)It is a violation of Federal law to kill or harm migratory waterfowl unless you have the proper permit.

I get so sick and tired of cops getting a free pass for violating laws that the rest of us have to obey. I really do hope the Feds take an interest in this case and make this officer’s life miserable.

El Rojo
May 3, 2003, 01:07 PM
What law did he break? I get tired of hearing the same old crowd around here. Something like this happens and we hear, "I hope they throw him in supermax for 20 years because it isn't fair for him to not get in trouble when I know I would have had to pay a fine and probably would have gotten some community service." How do you know? This is a big hypothetical. First, we don't know the location. 2nd, you don't know what kind of K-9 it was. Third, it was a damn goose! Instead of everyone rallying around common sense and saying, "Hey, if pesky geese get wild and attack, people ought to have the right to put them down as long as it is done in a safe manner." Instead, the anti-cop crowd goes on their usual kick about federal prosecution and the "unfairness" of the system. Deal with it. Then we get to hear outlandish accusations like, "if he would do this to a goose he might do it to grandma." Yeah, that means all firearms owners have the potential to kill grandma doesn't it? I have shot squirrels before. For no other reason than they are squirrels and I like shooting them. Could you imagine what would happen if one of them pissed me off? I would probably shoot him twice! Imagine the lethal potential I would have if my boss pissed me off eh? Some people disgust me.

Treat this just as it is, a goose got crazy and he died. No one else was injured. Because it was a cop, quite a few of you get pissed off about it. Had it been a civilian, instead of calling for the gallows, you would have protested the system that would prosecute a man for killing a goose. Talk about double standards and hypocricy. Instead of fighting for what is simply right, the anti-cop crowd fights simply for what is anti-LEO.

CZ-75
May 3, 2003, 02:16 PM
********** has got you trained right.

Cop uses force = Good.

Civilian uses force = Bad.

Feanaro
May 3, 2003, 02:26 PM
Wasn't too polite of that officer. The goose was only protectings it's nest and I've never heard of a goose killing a dog or a human. Someone is a bit too trigger happy.

But I don't really care. I just don't think it was, in the words of Bush Sen., prudent. If it was illegal he should be jailed though. I don't think we should place the police above regular citizens.

4v50 Gary
May 3, 2003, 02:28 PM
Jim, love your Mikey the Ferret story and BTW, do you have some sort of harness for him? Someday I'd like to have one but right now plastic plants are the only thing I can keep alive in my house.

redneck
May 3, 2003, 03:18 PM
Why not just let this set precedent? Geese have become a pest animal. The majority of folks don't think they're good to eat, so considering them a game animal and having a legal season with permits and all isn't doing a bit of good to manage the population.

The state has a whole list of pest animals (racoon, coyote,possum, ground hog, fox etc. ) that I'm allowed to destroy if they are causing damage/disturbance on my property. And it doesn't require a depredation permit either. So why not go the same route with geese? Its just a huge load of BS.

I say, let the cop off. And just let the rest of us take care of our own problems too.
Sure it probably wasn't legal to discharge a firearm where he was, and it sure wasn't legal to kill a migratory game bird out of season, without a permit, and using a handgun rather than a shotgun.
I want the same rights he has though, so rather than rant about tying his hands behind his back, why not just leave him be and give the rest of us the same freedom ?

El Rojo
May 3, 2003, 06:35 PM
CZ-75, who are you talking to when you said that "********** has got you trained right."? I am pretty sure you weren't talking to me because I said just the opposite. I said let us all have the right to shoot a goose. And if I was "properly" trained like the person you were referring to, I wouldn't have a CCW permit or have a Glock 27 on my hip right now. So I am 99% sure you weren't referring to me. So who were you referring to?

billybaus
May 3, 2003, 06:40 PM
seems to me he was going for humorous sarcasm....

billybaus
May 3, 2003, 06:42 PM
and that its not so much as an anti cop bias, but a "cops arent above the law" thing, IMO.

Soap
May 3, 2003, 06:50 PM
What is everyone getting so fired up for? A man shot a goose that attacked his dog. If this happened in my backyard I would have done the same. I don't want a blind doggie. As long as he was safe about it, good for him.

Kcustom45
May 3, 2003, 07:39 PM
unless they are using poodles for K-9's in Hoosier land. YOU TAKE THAT BACK! :D
I don't know how easy it would be for a goose to actually get to a dogs in a fight, but I imagine it could be very bad for the dog to be pecked in the eye.
As far as the other statement about killing migratory waterfowl you are right. I don't see why because the geese around here don't really migrate, but it is still the law not to kill or harm out of season without a permit. At least it is here in Indiana.

coonan357
May 3, 2003, 10:25 PM
ok for all of you who are on the gooses side we are going to lock you in a bathroom with the beasts while you are doing your thing and see what you will do... :D
as for the Ipd using poodles ... I know a few poodles with attitudes (the full sized ones ) I actually thought they were using pomerainins .:D

I got off the phone with one of my freinds in Speedway (west of Indy and she said the Geese are real bad as her dog cannot go outside without being harassed , shes asking what shot to use .. I said no-go, not out of season .

rebbryan
May 3, 2003, 11:23 PM
Not too long ago an officer shot a family dog during a felony traffic stop. I am sure that we all remember this. The tiny dog was sent to doggy heavan by the officers 870. Everyone was pissed. I dont understand why everyone here is all for the officer.......

the only thing i was pissed at were the people who threatened his children so he had to take them out of school. IMO the shooting was justified, no question about it

with that said, i don't think this one was, but if the bird had pecked out the dog's eyes then that's thousands of dollars down the drain, the politicians don't wanna waste that money :rolleyes:

Feanaro
May 3, 2003, 11:25 PM
If you lock me in the bathroom with a goose I will restrain it, break out and set the goose on you. :D

BTW, the poodle comment is uncalled for. The full sized poodles are some bad SOBs if they wrap their jaws around you. Smart too. People just make them look like sissie dogs with those stupid haircuts.

EDIT: Excuse my foul mouth. I get carried away with myself sometimes.

Coronach
May 3, 2003, 11:40 PM
1. Language?

2. The officer probably should have just whalloped the thing with his baton, assuming he had one. But if the choice was mace or hand-to-hand with the goose vs. firearm, I'd shoot it if the first attempt at a *punt* didn't work. The dog is expensive, and I'm not wrasslin with a goose.

3. We're now equating a goose attacking a police dog with an old lady poking one with her cane, for use of force discussions? Whiskey tango foxtrot, over? One is a human being, one is not. :rolleyes:

Mike

dustind
May 4, 2003, 12:07 AM
wow, didn't know killing geese was illegal, even in MN? I guess if its a federal crime. I was planning on using alcaseltzer(sp) if one attacked me. There are so many of them, and they are violent, even without nests.

As it is, i am going to have to get my paintball gun back together to handle some birds that wont leave my house alone.

As for this story, I think what he did should be legal, it was not the best move afaik, but shouldn't be a crime. Since he did do it, he should be subject to the same law/treatment as us nonleo civilians.

Selfdfenz
May 4, 2003, 01:12 AM
Competent police dogs become so by training. And not just a small amount of it either. Instinct and genetics are only part of the deal.

Don't equate the fact that this dog might have been able to but an agile 175 lb BG on his a-- as any indication the dog knew what to do on its first meeting with a pizzed off Canada. Or for that matter a good sized copperhead. Dogs have to be trained for that if you want a good outcome.

I can tell you a young hunting dog "handling" its first wounded Canada can be scary for the dog and the handler. Seen more than one turned around by a bird that had plenty of shot in it but a lot of life too. That dog may have handled 100 of wounded ducks but wounded goose #1 is school all over again.

Having said all that, Canadas are migratory game birds and are protected/managed by federal law. The feds are not addressing the goose overpopulation problem in many areas of the country successfully. I read stories all the time where someone at an apartment complex or golf course kills one or more geese and gets nailed by the feds. Where the birds are causing plobems they can't be hunted effectively. They are not stupid creatures in that they live where its safe and there is food. Apts and golf courses, well landscaped industrial parks and parks in general.

The law is either the same for all of us or its not. Was the officer justified in what he did by shooting the bird to protect his dog? Yep
Did he break federal law? Yep
Will being a LEO afford him an "out"? Yep again

S-

CZ-75
May 4, 2003, 03:08 AM
Because it was a cop, quite a few of you get pissed off about it. Had it been a civilian, instead of calling for the gallows, you would have protested the system that would prosecute a man for killing a goose. Talk about double standards and hypocricy. Instead of fighting for what is simply right, the anti-cop crowd fights simply for what is anti-LEO.

I think he did the right thing, but if I could be prosecuted for doing the same, then so should he.

CZ-75, who are you talking to when you said that "********** has got you trained right."? I am pretty sure you weren't talking to me because I said just the opposite. I said let us all have the right to shoot a goose. And if I was "properly" trained like the person you were referring to, I wouldn't have a CCW permit or have a Glock 27 on my hip right now. So I am 99% sure you weren't referring to me. So who were you referring to?

Actually, I didn't get that point. You know what my feelings are, as mentioned above. No double standard.

Dash Riprock
May 4, 2003, 05:40 AM
Geese aren't that tough. I have three nesting pairs on my pond right now, and they fear my terrier, and he has never been to any of the tactical goose-defense schools. I refuse to believe that a police dog could not protect himself from one. The goose pissed the cop off, and he did what a lot of us would have liked to do-he shot it. He should pay the same legal price that any one of us would if we did the same thing.

Master Blaster
May 6, 2003, 02:36 PM
We have herds of Canada Geese here on the campus where I work.

I like to look for their nests at lunch and check out the fuzzy gooslings this time of year. They do poop alot and hiss at you if you get too close. Biggest danger is slipping on a turd and falling.

The other day I was out at lunch with two coworkers and I approached a pair with 3 gooslings, Papa puts his head down opens wings and hisses at me as he charges from 5 feet away.

I wave my arms and stomp my feet pretending to charge back, and the whole family tuns tail and runs hissing over their backs as they run away.

My two female coworkers were scared stiff and say to me,

Weren't you afraid they would bite you?

:rolleyes:

My reply: You just have to show them whos boss and they run away. :rolleyes:

Besides I always hope they do attack, then I can find out how far a goose can be punted.

:neener:

Mike Irwin
May 6, 2003, 02:42 PM
"Canadian geese..."

Spaceman,

How did you know they were Canadian?

Did they show you their passports? :D

Master Blaster
May 6, 2003, 02:49 PM
They were drinking a Molson and smoking a pack of Navy cuts,

When I said dont poop near my car, they replied:

HONK HONK, EHHHH?

Shalako
May 6, 2003, 04:45 PM
Good for the cop. There's no shortage of feathered critters as far as I'm concerned. But, it kind of shows he was eager to pull the pistol to solve the problem. That is supposed to be a last resort isn't it? I could of handled the situation with my Gerber Tactical Folder....Oh well.

My grandma once capped a goose with a wormburner off the tee on a public golfcourse. She was a little traumatized though and hasn't played much golf since. So, hmmm, what has better goose-stopping power, Titleist or Pinnacle?
:D

2nd Amendment
May 6, 2003, 05:58 PM
The goose population is declining around here. Seems to suddenly be a lot of freshly dug and refilled holes, too. I have no idea what that means...

caz223
May 22, 2003, 12:23 PM
I had a similar situation with a goose.
I didn't think it was that funny when the little SOB was keeping up to me on my jet-ski trying to peck my eyes out.
After waging war on that particular specimen, I no longer use just enough force to get by.
I now carry a bat on my jet-ski.
I'm gonna hit a home run one of these days, if that little SOB is still there this year.
Goose vs. dog, I really gotta see the dog that would tear the gooses' head off. Them things are tough. Like a flying billygoat.

foghornl
May 22, 2003, 12:37 PM
Geese are a MAJOR pest around here. Used to be a pair of Mallards (ducks) in my neighboorhood, but they are no longer aorund. Instead, we have about 30 geese, and green, slimy **** by the bushel.

If I could find out which *** on my street is feeding these critters, I would gladly leave him all the "goose gifts" on HIS/HER driveway

Betty
May 22, 2003, 12:57 PM
Watch the language, please.

AJ Dual
May 22, 2003, 02:44 PM
I had a similar situation with a goose.
I didn't think it was that funny when the little SOB was keeping up to me on my jet-ski trying to peck my eyes out.
After waging war on that particular specimen, I no longer use just enough force to get by.
I now carry a bat on my jet-ski.
I'm gonna hit a home run one of these days, if that little SOB is still there this year.
Goose vs. dog, I really gotta see the dog that would tear the gooses' head off. Them things are tough. Like a flying billygoat.

I reccomend an old tennis racket actually. Just go pick one up at a yard sale for $1-2. Excelent striking power, no air resistance to your swing, cuts a wide swath like a flyswatter, weighs much less than a bat, and your swing is much less likely to knock you off balance, which could be important when cruising along the lake.

You also have about 0% chance of running afoul of the law for carrying a "club" like a baseball bat would. I am aware just from renting a jet-ski, just how much attention personal watercraft can get from law enforcment and DNR agents.

I can attest to the effectivness of a racket on repelling arial attack, back in the 80's during the jogging craze, my father was repeatedly set upon by a demented redwing blackbird along his route. He tried handfulls of gravel, and would also pick up deadfall sticks from the park along the way, but none were effective. One day he went out with a racquetball racket and came back grinning, and didn't ever bother to bring it again.

jmbg29
May 22, 2003, 03:27 PM
The Goose was protecting his nest.............it wasnt like the dog was in danger...This and some other comments have this Agro-American laughing at the flatlanders.

A) It's a freakin' goose! It is not, nor will it ever be, a person.

B) Geese, most especially wild geese, are often viscious. I know of at least one case where an elderly lady was walking her little dustmop dog - when said mutt blundered in between goslings and the damn sentry geese - the lady was knocked to the ground, bitten repeatedly, bruised over 60% of her body from the bites and the beating* she took, and suffered a broken rib.

C) Hit one with a nightstick when it is attacking? :rolleyes: Gimme a break!

D) Overabundant Canada geese are a plague in this country.
Do an internet search on public beaches that have been closed due to bacterial contamination from goose droppings. Have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy, your computer might short out as it overloads in the attempt to read all of the incoming files.

Poor little goosy got blowed up. Oh my God! The world is going to end! :rolleyes: :scrutiny: :uhoh: :barf:

*Try to remember that these animals are 18+ pounds, and can fly 300-400 miles at a clip, i.e. they are very strong. They strike swiftly, they can move their heads in a snake-like fashion, and they can, and do, fracture the bones of their attackers with their wing beats. And one other thing; you might want to experience what it is like to be bitten around your head and eyes by one of these varmints, before commenting on the level of danger involved.

2nd Amendment
May 22, 2003, 04:08 PM
About tennis rackets: Nothing makes a better defense mechanism against bats in the house, too.

*swing* *twang* *thud*

280PLUS
May 23, 2003, 10:17 AM
as long as you cook them right...

:neener:

Horsesense
May 23, 2003, 02:07 PM
Just some observations,

Police Dogs are trained to NOT fight/kill without orders

The dog was the mans partner and partners stick together.

The goose was a menses to the public

The cop took an oath to serve and protect the public

He would have taken heat if he sicked the dog on the goose

This story should have never made the news

Don’t wine about unjust DA/s, dumb laws, etc. get involved and vote just men in office!

cordex
May 23, 2003, 02:27 PM
He would have taken heat if he sicked the dog on the goose
He would have taken less heat than he did by discharging his pistol in an urban setting.

I say, he should have let loose the hounds of war, so to speak. I don't mind that the bird is dead. I just think the dog missed out on some great force on force training.

Edward429451
May 23, 2003, 03:11 PM
I can't fault the cop for protecting his bud & campanion. Geese gotta be strong. We used to have chickens and I've been attacked by biggish roosters and wings on the legs hurt. One punt and they go flying though. Geese are much bigger and could probably do some damage to a high dollar dog.

The problem is one of precedent as suggested. A civvie would have been hung out to dry, probably even with the federal charges for the same actions as the cop.

Let the cop off, let the civvie off? Is that an unreasonable expectation? The slightest hint of double standard is in the air, and thats the only problem with this situation...

Dash Riprock
May 24, 2003, 04:41 AM
"Officer" Waters already had one of his dogs shot when it when it attacked another cop. Maybe he was being a little bit sensitive in this event, because he didn't want to be sent into the fast food industry, where he and most cops actually belong.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/5/040769-5865-093.html

BLKLABMAN
May 25, 2003, 05:18 PM
It appears, there are some Rambo wannabees ,on this site.
As some of the comments were more than alittle== Sad .

First off let me state, that I have been an avid Watefowl hunter ever since my father took me ,when I was 10. I'm 34 now, and have had the good fortune, to have been able to duck/goose hunt, in 8 states plus Canada, and Mexico so far.
I was/is my love for these animals that led me to pursue a B.S degree, and then a Masters degree in Biology.

I will be the very first to admit, that we have a population problem with geese. While this is annoying, I also find it wonderful.
Why is this you ask. Simple. We turned the population around.
Hunters, conservationists, and Biologist's, worked together. With the help of state Waterfowl organizations, and national clubs, like Duck's Unlimited, and Delta Waterfowl, they made a difference.

I can remember back in the Mid 80's growing up, the goose population was hurting very badly. To be able to goose hunt we had to send in to Nashville, to get a permit to be able to kill - 2 - geese.

Many things have things have changed, since then . Changed for the better in my view.

Now about this cop.
Unlike a dog that is sent to retrieve a crippled bird,(where the dog can actually be hurt) I do not believe this cops dog was in any danger.

Why? If the cop would have shood the bird away and gotton out of his area everything would have been fine.
The goose was simply doing what Mother Nature programmed it to do. To protect it's nest-- To protect it's brood.
But this cop, chooses to draw his weapon, and kill the bird instead.

If it were up to me. The cop would have been fired, and would be facing Federal charges for killing a Migratory Bird.

standingbear
May 26, 2003, 12:41 PM
there are alot geese here,they crap everywhere and its bad when i step in it unknowingly and drag the mess on my shoes into my car(always checking my shoes now).when we have a company picic,someone has to go around and clean up the do do.kinda ruins appatites quickly seeing it and people stepping in the stuff.they hang around the parking lot an hiss at everything that goes by.they frequently get hit out front too.id imagine if they were bad enough at an airport,they could cause some fatal crashes.there was one that was rapidly annoying my uncle at his pond.it bit a couple of my nephews and chasing their dog around.he walked right up to it and kicked it(hurt his anckle and fell on his back-then it got him in his side)got up,went into his house,came out limping and shot it with his double.barn cats had a feast.

If you enjoyed reading about "(IN) Cop kills goose that pecked his dog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!