Brass Jacketed Ammo... Safe?

PDA

Dacoda
July 2, 2006, 02:55 AM
So I usually shoot S&B's thru my cz-52, but today, I bought two boxes of ammo, and didn't realize until I got home that the bullets are brass as well as the casing... or atleast it appears to be. Is this stuff gonna wear down the barrel?

I tried searching for info on brass jacketed ammo.. but to no avail.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass Jacketed Ammo... Safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Firehand
July 2, 2006, 03:07 AM
It shouldn't be any harder on the barrel than copper-jacketed. Among others, Remington Golden Saber hollowpoints use a brass jacket.

EddieCoyle
July 2, 2006, 08:57 AM
It'll be fine. Brass is composed of copper and zinc - neither of which is hard enough to harm your barrel.

Montana Gold bullets are also brass jacketed. If they were bad for the barrel, I would've had to replace a few barrels by now; and I haven't.

When I load up .38's with brass jacketed bullets, brass cases, and Winchester (brass) primers, I'll put them through the tumbler after loading to polish them up. They look preety cool.

Dionysusigma
July 2, 2006, 10:29 AM
Think about what keeps scraping in and out of the chamber every time the action cycles. ;)

Brass is fine.

armoredman
July 2, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hornady made his first jacketed bullets using spent 22lr brass...

Dacoda
July 2, 2006, 12:42 PM
Excellent. Thanks.

However the same isn't true about lead, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a solid lead bullet, like some found in .357/.38spl and .22lr WILL, after time, damage the barrel?

It's this reason, whether true or not that I stopped shooting lead jacketed bullets. I was under the impression it's like sand paper thru the barrel.

the naked prophet
July 2, 2006, 01:38 PM
Lead is so soft you can scratch it with your fingernail. How could it scratch steel? You could make your barrel from cheap plastic and (assuming the hot gases don't melt it) the lead wouldn't hurt it.

Lead could scratch play-doh. If your barrel is made from play-doh, don't fire lead bullets through it.

The only thing I can think of is that the lead might build up in the barrel, but that shouldn't be a problem if you clean it regularly.

Firehand
July 2, 2006, 05:12 PM
As the Prophet says, lead bullets will NOT harm the barrel. In some cases can foul it, but if you clean properly that goes away.

I've got an old Martini .22 made in the 1920's. It's had God only knows how many rounds of lead bullets through it, and the bore still shines like a mirror

Vern Humphrey
July 2, 2006, 05:19 PM
I have a Kimber M82 that I bought 20 years ago. By the empty 5,000 round cases, I figure I've put over 105,000 rounds through it. The bore looks absolutely new.

shermacman
July 2, 2006, 05:20 PM
Lead is harmless. It is way too soft to hurt a steel barrel. Now, it does tend to stick to a barrel and cause lead fouling. The Glock's trapezoidial rifling seems to be more prone to this than any other that I know about. Glock warns you not to use lead cast bullets because they "grab" the rifling too well and can literally get stuck. But do a search on "I hate Glocks" before anyone turns this thread off track!:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass Jacketed Ammo... Safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!