AMT 9mm 380 semiauto

PDA

once20
July 2, 2006, 08:44 AM
Hi! My husband just purchased a used AMT (Arcadia Machine and Tool Inc) 9mm 380 semiauto.He wants to clean it. He cannot figure out how to break it down /get it apart.Does anyone know how to do this? I have done an online search and all I get is information about lawsuits against this company .I have also gleaned bits and pieces regarding the safety of handguns manufactured by this company.It looks to be pretty safe to me due to the long and hard trigger pull.Does anyone know why these handguns are considered unsafe?Any information that anyone can give me would be more than greatly appreciated :) Thanks! Cheryl

If you enjoyed reading about "AMT 9mm 380 semiauto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MillCreek
July 2, 2006, 12:28 PM
Your husband has either a AMT Backup in .380, or he has a AMT DAO Backup in 9 mm. On the side of the slide of the pistol will be engraved either the number .380 or 9 mm. This is how you can tell the caliber of the pistol that he has.

If you go to these two websites: http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm (click on AMT Backup) and http://www.glossover.co.uk/amt/Backup/OwnersManual.asp (click on download AMT Backup owners manual) you can download the owners' manual for each pistol. This will have the disassembly and cleaning instructions. The 9 mm is easier to disassemble and clean than is the .380.

I have, or have owned, AMT Backups in a number of calibers. I currently still have DAO Backups in .380 and 9 mm. AMT had some quality control issues, but I have had good luck with every AMT that I have bought, and I still carry mine from time to time.

If you have any other questions, please post and I will try to help you.

MutinousDoug
July 2, 2006, 01:36 PM
Years ago I owned a single action AMT Backup in .380acp. The safety was defective in that if the trigger was pulled while the safety was on, the gun would immediatly fire when the safety was moved off. AMT replaced my safety with a new design that addressed the problem, but I never felt good about the gun after that. This was in the 1980's.

Snake Eyes
July 2, 2006, 01:45 PM
A couple of years ago, I bought an AMT Backup off of Gunbroker on a lark--I paid $38.00 for it.

On the third round of the first magazine the top mounted extractor sheared off, the slide loaded another round and the gun slamfired. If the extractor had not sheared, another round would have loaded behind the slamfired round, resulting in a full auto AMT. As it was, I got a failure to extract/eject and a double feed.

I took the gun to a competent smith and, after discussing the wonderful metalurgic qualities of cheap pot metal, asked him to destroy the gun even further.

There are some guns that might be fine at the range but I would never bet my life on (Taurus), and some guns I consider to be risking injury and death just by loading them--AMT.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and others have already posted good expereinces, and--as one of my favorite sig lines says--"the plural of anecdote is NOT data".

Snake Eyes
July 2, 2006, 01:48 PM
Oh, and by the way,
Welcome to The High Road!

Sir Aardvark
July 2, 2006, 01:48 PM
Welcome to THR!

The AMT DAO .380 backup has printed on the slide:

"CAL. 380 9MM KURZ"

What you have requires .380ACP ammunition.

"KURZ" is the german word for "short", so "9MM KURZ" is a fancy german way of saying "9MM short", which is what the .380ACP is sometimes referred to.

Why a company would print something that could be misconstrued or misinterpreted on the slide of a gun, of all things, is beyond me. If the gun requires .380ACP ammo, then put ".380ACP" on the slide and don't add any more unnecessary information.

As previously mentioned, AMT has had a long history of quality control issues. I have had a couple problems with my 380 Backup, but nothing that would be considered dangerous of life-threatening. Of course, printing confusing caliber info on the slide of a gun might be a further reflection of this company's mindset on the whole safety thing, but that's something for you to decide.

To take down your AMT you would need to drift out the roll-pin that is located on the slide just above the serrations.

Enjoy your new pistol and particularly enjoy its 14#+ trigger pull.

Another place to look for schematics on firearms is Brownell's. Follow the link:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematics/SchemMFG.aspx

If you enjoyed reading about "AMT 9mm 380 semiauto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!