New Glock 26: first range report

PDA

gunmetal
July 2, 2006, 02:51 PM
Got my G26 a couple weeks ago at a gun show.

Anyways, I put the following through it. The gun is stock with the exception of a NY-1 spring.

140 WWB FMJ
20 PMC FMJ
30 WWB JHP ("Personal Defense" load)
20 Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr.

I am happy to report that the gun functioned beautifully!

I did have ONE failure to fire with the PMC rounds. I heard a "click" and left it pointed downrange for about 15 seconds.. then ejected the round to find what looked like a light primer strike. I then fired the rest of the mag without problems. After this, I put the "dud" round back in and tried it again. Another click! I looked at the primer, and it looked like it was a little deeper, but still not deep enough. At this point I started thinking that maybe the round was holding the slide slightly out of battery and got a little nervous.. so I loaded the round one more time and examined the slide. It was fully in battery, so I tried a 3rd strike on the round.. and got another click. The only explanation I can come up with is that this round must have had a ROCK-hard primer that just refused to detonate.

The accuracy was great.. I was only shooting at around 5 yards but I was easily able to hold good groups in slow fire. The groups obviously spread during rapid fire but all stayed in the black. Also, last time I fired a Glock (my G22), I wasn't familiar with the concept of resetting the trigger. Now I understand why the Glock trigger reset is so beloved!! It's very easy to get rapid follow-up shots with the short reset.

Recoil with all ammo tried was easily manageable and getting the sight picture back was quick.

I also deliberately limp-wristed a magazine-full and there the gun still cycled fine.

I have a Don Hume 715-SOOT for this pistol and I am quite confident now that it will be a great carry weapon. Once I put a couple hundred more rounds through it I'll fit it with some night sights, probably Mepros.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Glock 26: first range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
July 2, 2006, 03:07 PM
I've heard PMC has really hard primers. Sounds like you should steer clear of the PMC stuff with it. Glad you like it. Though I don't have a G26, I really like all the compact 9mms for carry. They offer one heck of a lot of 9mm +P firepower in a tiny package. They can be amazingly accurate, too.

Doug S
July 2, 2006, 04:54 PM
The G26 is a great little CCW gun. Congrats.

July 2, 2006, 05:26 PM
It sounds like the primer was just plain defective. You fired more rounds of the same ammo with no problems. Just one was a problem.
That happens.

gudel
July 2, 2006, 07:41 PM
so what makes you selected the ny1 spring?

MCgunner
July 2, 2006, 07:55 PM
so what makes you selected the ny1 spring?

The only way I'd consider a Glock. That muzzle, if it sits in a pocket, is pointing at things I don't want shot. :eek:

longeyes
July 2, 2006, 08:25 PM
Glock in a pocket with an uncovered trigger???:uhoh:

gunmetal
July 2, 2006, 10:28 PM
I do use a holster with my G26, but durability is the real reason I bought the NY-1 spring for it.

While it is true that the stock spring doesn't often break on people, it is one of the things that most frequently does break. For $2.50 + S&H, it's cheap insurance.

I'll probably add a Glockmeister steel guide rod for the same reason, and get a few OEM rods as spares.

gudel
July 3, 2006, 12:16 AM
someone get that guy a holster :D

I've bought several Glocks, G17, G22, G22, G32, G21, none of the parts ever break.

If I were you I'd stick with a stock glock parts for the recoil rod.

gunmetal
July 3, 2006, 01:46 AM
Gudel, I'm assuming your comment about the holster is directed at someone else. ;)

I'm glad you've never had a parts breakage, but nevertheless the springs can and do break on some people. I just don't want to be one of them. :neener:

I may stick with the OEM rod, I haven't made up my mind on that one yet, but I have the same concerns there.

Anyways, this isn't the right thread to be debating endlessly about this topic, I just wanted to get my kudos to the G26 out there! :banghead:

longeyes
July 3, 2006, 02:29 AM
Glock got it right with the 26. It's a pretty impressive little gun.

MidnightRambler
July 3, 2006, 02:43 AM
26's are nice little guns

medic_guns
July 4, 2006, 10:57 AM
After all of the talk about g26s, I bought one last month. What a nice unit. I took it the other day to shoot. First, I shot 60 rounds through my 686. The loads were pretty stout. Shot the 26 soon after; felt like a .22 in my hand. At 21 feet, I shot 11 rounds as fast as I could at an 8.5X11 sheet of paper with Saddam's picture on it (at targetz.com). I filled his face full of holes. This 26 is a REAL nice shooter. The only gun I have shot that is even more accurate than the 26 is the P7M8, which I sold:confused: Why did I do that? Anyway, I carried it for 5 hours yesterday while I pressure washed my fence. A little moisture will never hurt that G26. I many get another one.

Ric

If you enjoyed reading about "New Glock 26: first range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!