Are ProMag magazines good quality?

PDA

The Dutchman
July 2, 2006, 03:35 PM
I have been interested in getting a couple of these for my USP and I wanted to know if they are worth the money.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are ProMag magazines good quality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
July 2, 2006, 04:13 PM
I've had a lot more Pro-Mags that didn't work than what did.

They claim to have a lifetime warrenty, but the few that worked have been fine, the ones that didn't never did.

I've a few of the "new" plastic 30 round ProMag AK mags. They work in some guns not in others, my commie surplus AK mags don't seem to care what gun they are in, they just work.

Personally I'd skip Pro-Mag unless there are no other choices.

--wally.

The Dutchman
July 2, 2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks for your help....I think I'll skip the Promag mags. Does anyone know where I can get factory .45 USP mags then? It is very difficult to find anything but promag magazines for the .45 USP.

Babalouie
July 2, 2006, 05:05 PM
My experiences has been very positive. Every promag I bought (5 mags) for my XD 40 worked flawlessly. So much so I had no problems using them in competition. They're cheap enough to buy one and see for yourself.

larry starling
July 2, 2006, 05:14 PM
Bought some for A CZ-99 I had and 1 out of 3 worked! IMHO pass spend a little extra money and go with mecgar or some other manufacturer....:rolleyes:

Jkwas
July 2, 2006, 05:41 PM
I guess from what I'm reading on these boards, some do and some don't. But that's probably the case with all the aftermarket makers. I've had good luck with them. I only have two, I bought them for range shooting to save wear and tear on my factory mags. They were cheap and have never failed to operate properly in my Ruger P89. But for defense purposes, I only rely on factory mags. They're cheap. It's not like your buying jewelry. Get a few, if they work fine, if not, oh well. I'm sure we've all spent good money on worse things and are sure to do it in the future. :rolleyes:

daysleeprx
July 2, 2006, 08:13 PM
I get all my USP mags from CDNN. I don't know if they still do it, but they used to give you a free 10 rounder for every hi-cap you bought.

asknight
July 4, 2006, 05:02 PM
The only ProMags I have experience with are the Ruger P89 and Mini-14 magazines. They both worked as intended and I am happy with them.

progunner1957
July 5, 2006, 09:46 AM
I have heard alot more bad than good about Promag magazines, especially their mags for the H&K P7M8. The positive reports seem to be the exception. I would spend the extra money and get magazines made by the maker of the gun in question.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for...

BulletFan
July 5, 2006, 10:17 AM
I have one pro mag....it's hangs up on every round when firing anything other than FMJ round nose.
I use it for just target practice with Win FMJ at the range, but my factory mag has the HD ammo in it.

spencerhut
July 5, 2006, 10:21 AM
These mags are absolutly craptastic in my wife's 3913TSW. Practice only!!

Flame Red
July 5, 2006, 11:17 AM
I bought some Promags for a Beretta Cougar a while back and they were real POS!!! I called them and told them that they did not work and wanted them to take them back under their 'lifetime warranty'. They would only replace them, not guarantee that they would work.

Finally figured out that if I put in factory springs they worked fine.

Run away from PROMAG.

rbernie
July 5, 2006, 11:35 AM
Are ProMag magazines good quality? Not in my experience.

JJE
July 5, 2006, 11:57 AM
Following advice on this forum, I bought 2 Pro-Mag .40 cal mags for my 9mm CZ-75 P01. So far, they've each shot about 300 rounds without a failure of any kind. The consensus was that they worked well in that application.

I don't think you can say that Pro-Mag products are either good or bad, and the fact that a Pro-Mag worked or didn't work in Gun A doesn't tell you anything about whether a different Pro-Mag model will work in Gun B. Your best bet to evaluate mags is to go to a forum dedicated to your gun and see what experiences people have had - I found a lot of good info on THR by searching for mag threads for my specific gun. Good luck!

Walt Sherrill
July 5, 2006, 09:48 PM
My experience with Pro-Mags is hit and miss.

I'm one of the folks who recommends Pro-Mags for the CZ-75B compact, but that's about the ONLY gun for which I'll recommend them.

Springs tend to be on the weak side.

I've had good luck with S&W 59 series Pro-Mags, and some Beretta 92 and 96 Pro-Mags, but have heard so many horror stories about OTHER models, I avoid them.

I do know, however, that if you have problems with a Pro-Mag magazine, and return it to the factory, they'll do their best to get you one that works right. They do try to honor their warranty. (Too many folks just trash the mags before taking that extra step.)

Jkwas
July 6, 2006, 09:12 AM
I've read elsewhere that you can upgrade the springs cheaply. They do come apart in a jiff.

HankB
July 6, 2006, 09:29 AM
During the dark days of the ban on standard cap magazines I bought four Pro-Mags for my 9mm Browning HP.

After cleaning them up a little (they arrived very greasy) I took a pistol class and fired >1000 rounds of WWB over a weekend using these magazines exclusively.

I had no malfunctions of any kind.

I've put at least a couple of thousand more rounds through them since then with the same result. :D

TonyT
July 6, 2006, 01:41 PM
I have had a positive experience with singlke stack Pro Mag magazines for the S&W 952 and Sig 220 (some failed to hold the slide open after the last shot in the Sig 220). With double stacks most function acceptably. They do require degteasing prior to use (made that mistake once).

mjb
July 7, 2006, 01:42 PM
In my experience, Mecggar is the best aftermarket magazine. However, I haven't had any problems with my promag magazines.

commygun
July 7, 2006, 07:59 PM
I've had Promags for a HP, a Sig P225, a
P-89 and they all worked flawlessly. Of
course that's a very tolerant group of
pistols.

HKGuns
July 7, 2006, 09:14 PM
DO NOT buy Pro-Mag's for your HK. They are crap, garbage and any other bad word you can think of.....

I buy all of my HK magazines here.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/hk_magazines.html

or here........

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/hk2.html

dogngun
July 8, 2006, 05:16 AM
I had several Promags once and they were not reliable. I recommend MecGars if they are available for your pistols, or factory mags.
I shoot an old S&W 3rd gen pistol and use MecGars and S&W mags only and have NEVER had any problems with either one. I had MecGar mags in my M-16 in the Army and never had any problems with that either.

Mark

cyanide
August 1, 2006, 07:34 PM
Well pro mag is the only one out there that will make a 20 round magazine for my Beretta 96 40 cal S&W

so I will have to give them a try.

Walt Sherrill
August 1, 2006, 07:51 PM
While I will buy some Pro-Mags for some models (CZ compact, for example), I would NOT buy their 20-rounders. I've never heard of any of those mags working properly after the first couple of uses.

Good luck, as I'm sure you're going to buy them, anyway.

(You'll probably be wasting money to pick up 4-5 extra rounds, you'll find the mags ungainly, and very impractical anywhere but at the range -- and there, reloading isn't a big deal.)

10-Ring
August 1, 2006, 08:04 PM
I have 2 Pro Mags for my USP 45. Anyway, I don't have alot of rounds through them, but they have been fine over the few 100 rounds I've shot through them.

PS...I only use them as range mags. I use my factory mags for home, IDPA etc :D

Redneck with a 40
August 2, 2006, 03:28 PM
Several months ago I purchased a pro mag 11 round for my XD 40, its been reliable so far. I just purchased a 20 round pro mag for my XD 40 yesterday, I'm looking forward to trying that out. This mag hangs about 4 inches out of the grip frame, lol.:D But if the 20 round mag is reliable, thats some serious firepower there.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Are ProMag magazines good quality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!