Make it up, but pose as sages
Those who think that it's all true
Pay the bills to print more poo

Even worse are the reviews
Pay for adds is pay'n dues
If per chance you didn't pay
It ain't so good what we will say

Clark Magnuson July 2, 2006, 1:27 p.m. with nothing better to do

If you enjoyed reading about "Ode to gun magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
July 2, 2006, 09:25 PM
See also this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=101700) . . . :D

Pork Fat
July 2, 2006, 11:48 PM
The poem is too true, but I still owe a debt to the raggiest rag ever. Back in the Eighties, Guns and Ammo was my gun education. Jan Libourel, Dave Arnold, Elmer Keith, Ross Seyfried, Garry James, Bob Milek,Peter Hathaway Capstick,Bill Jordan, Robert Shimek, Mike Venturino and a few others my memory can't drag back made me the "gun geek" of my small circle of friends. Doubtless, the same inbred limits on objective journalism that we see today existed then, for the same reasons as today. Still, there was plenty of wheat among the chaff for which I am grateful today.
Magazines have bills to pay, and a certain healthy skepticism must be employed when phrases like "acceptable combat accuracy" are used. Most of this occurs in the new firearms articles. I gleaned more useful background from Q&A columns and historical retrospectives.
Dave, Elmer, Bob, Bill and Mr. Capstick are no longer with us, and I miss them and their inherent prejudices a lot, because they were the teachers I would not have had without the gun rags, warts and all. I only hope that the new guys can influence and educate a few kids amongst the shameless pandering and puff pieces that are necessary to keep a newstand magazine alive.

mec
July 3, 2006, 12:10 AM
the meter and overall tenor reminds me of the first poetic effort I ever read on a restroom stall. Not a criticism by any means as your poem is very creative but it did jog my memory. Let me see if I can convey that first poem, written on the stall in the restroom at Navarro county Hospital sometime in the 1950s:

People who write on (out) house walls
Wad their (output) into balls.
People who read these lines of (poetry)
eat those little balls of (toiletry.)

There. I think we both did good!

Clark
July 3, 2006, 01:17 AM
Preacherman,
I like your link better than my poem.
I won't quit my day job.

Pork Fat,

I sent an email to Dr. Jan Libourel asking him where he got the idea that CZ52s are stronger than Tokarevs.

He emailed back and said that he just printed what HE read.

I would give a point for the email and a point for the honesty.

Still, I bet he has employees that he tells the gun journalism facts of life, "This is a business to make money. You aim the article at readers who knows nothing. You write about something that is paying advertising. Capiche?"

Mec,
That was the poem I had in mind.
I read it in the can on a WA state ferry in the 1960s.

mec
July 3, 2006, 09:09 AM
Amazing! We know it's over 50 years old an a continent-spanning cultural artifact. I wonder where it originated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ode to gun magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!