Steyr GB

PDA

Navy joe
May 1, 2003, 08:37 PM
Ok, who owns one, how do you like it etc.?

-Can you still find parts?
-Does anyone make 10rd mags?
-Any hi-caps cheaper than 90 bucks out there?
-Should be very accurate, is it reliable?

Saw one today for 499, one 18rd mag included. Cool design, really loved the construction and gas delayed blowback. Want it bad in fact. Please tell me what you know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr GB" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff OTMG
May 2, 2003, 12:49 AM
who owns one,
**** I do!

how do you like it etc.?
**** I love it. I have had mine since 1985 and used it in IPSC. I had less in my gun than other shooters had in their leather gear. I shot 2nd in my class in the Oklahoma State IPSC Championships and 25th overall and that was shooting minor. It is strong enough and I developed 9mm major loads for it. You must use jacketed ammo.

-Can you still find parts?
**** I don't know, nothing ever broke.

-Does anyone make 10rd mags?
**** Not as far as I know. The gun went out of production in 1987 after losing to the Glock for the Austrian military contract so there was no incentive to make mags for a gun that had such a short production run.

-Any hi-caps cheaper than 90 bucks out there?
**** If you can find new factory mags for $90 BUY EVERY ONE OF THEM. The going price is $125-$175 each.

-Should be very accurate, is it reliable?
**** It is very accurate. Not quite a P210, but 18 shots into 2" at 25 yards is the norm.

To me the price is high, depending on what you want it for. The mag is worth $100, but the gun without the mag isn't worth $400. I would say $300-350 for the gun and $100 for each mag. They are a bit collectible and I have seen people asking $650-$700 for a LNIB sample with both mags, again they were sitting on the table for that, not selling.

The gun is BIG and diffucult to carry concealed, but it does carry 19 rounds. I used it for my car gun on trips until about 10 years ago when I got a Calico 9mm carbine with the collapsable stock and the 50 and 100 round mags.

Many of the Tulsa PD SWAT team bought them for personal use in the mid-80's for the high capacity. Remember that the Glock and its' 17 round mag had not come out yet.

There are different variations. There is a model with polished slide flats and one with a parkerized finish. There are two variations of hammers, a spur and a Nastoff style loop. There are some that were converted to SAO and the hammer drop is only a firing pin block. There was also a compensator type bushing that replaced the stock bushing/gas chamber. A rare accessory.

Handy
May 2, 2003, 12:41 PM
I just bought a late commercial one. Blued flats, ring hammer. Very nice trigger.

Only had the one mag for $500, but it appeared to be unfired.

I'm chasing down a possible lead on mags, you guys can PM me and I'll get back to you if it pans out.

For now, if anybody has a lead on other mags for sale, PM me and let me know.

The construction of the gun is so solid (all steel), I'm not too worried about parts. Even the gas system is so robust that I can't see it wearing much or even fouling.

I hope to get the time to do a write up/range report soon.

Tamara
May 2, 2003, 01:10 PM
I hope to get the time to do a write up/range report soon.

I'd like that. I've had a couple of shots at reasonably priced GB's lately and was sorely tempted. (It was one of my dream guns when I was in high school... "18 rounds! Wow!" ;) )

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr GB" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!