why 7wsm

PDA

bigcim
July 3, 2006, 10:46 AM
i was thinking about a 7 mag and heard about the wsm any guys out there own this caliber or know what make it a better round then the rem mag

If you enjoyed reading about "why 7wsm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Karbon
July 3, 2006, 12:02 PM
From the guys here and one of the Federal reps I talked to, it looks like that might be the most expendable of all of the wsm's. It offered little advantage over the 7mm mag that is so popular. IMO, go for the 7mm mag.

Art Eatman
July 3, 2006, 12:17 PM
The benchrest guys figured out that short, fat cartridges are more accurate than long, skinny cartridges. This is in part due to shorter, stiffer receivers.

The loading data and ballistics numbers indicate that these short magnums use some 20% less powder but achieve 90% of the velocity of the long magnums. Since recoil is due to the weight of the powder as well as the weight of the bullet, there is less recoil with the short magnums.

Magazine capacity is not an issue for a hunter or a benchrest shooter. For any decently skilled hunter, only one or two shots are generally sufficient.

IMO, these short magnums aren't a significant gain for a hunter who already has a .243, .270, 7mmMag or an '06. If one lacks one of these, however, the short magnum makes sense. IMO, they're more for handloaders than for "off the shelf" ammo users.

My 2,

Art

rbernie
July 3, 2006, 12:24 PM
The 7mm WSM is an effort to get 7mm Rem Mag performance in a short action. Does it achieve that? Not quite, but it's close - best I can tell from the load data, it does best in the lighter bullet weights and doesn't do so well in the heavier bullet weights.

If you shoot mostly 160gr to 175gr bullets, you'll probably like the 7mm Rem Mag better. If you use 140gr bullets a lot, then the 7mm WSM is a viable choice *if* you're also looking for a light weight short action rifle. Oh, and if you shoot factory ammo, you'll find that there's a lot more to choose from right now in the 7mm Rem Mag ranks than in 7mm WSM.

bigcim
July 3, 2006, 06:18 PM
great

GTSteve03
July 3, 2006, 08:19 PM
You might want to check out the 270WSM. Since no one (that I know of) was making any kind of wildcats with the .270 caliber rounds, the WSM actually fills a pretty good hole in the ballistics range. You get better than 270 power from a short action rifle.

bigcim
July 4, 2006, 01:02 AM
i thought the wsm 7 performed alot better then the rem i might have misread but you guys think the 7 wsm wont be around long i thought i seen that the wsm had a way flatter trajectory:)

bigcim
July 6, 2006, 12:57 AM
anybody own one

blackops
August 16, 2010, 12:18 AM
If you use 140gr bullets a lot, then the 7mm WSM is a viable choice

I think the 7wsm is a better choice no matter what grain bullet. Most guys shooting beyond 1k are going with 180 VLD's though not 140gr bullets.

Get a 7wsm and have a smith put a good brake on it for you. Recoil will no longer be exsistent and will have a laser beam that cuts the wind out to 1500yds with authority.

benzy2
August 16, 2010, 12:42 AM
this thread is 4 years old.

If you enjoyed reading about "why 7wsm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!