Combo Guns

PDA

Surefire
July 3, 2006, 07:39 PM
What are the best combo rifles/shotguns out there for the money?

Not high end $1,000 stuff, and also not low end sub $100 stuff. Something in the $250-$600 range that is reliable and reasonably well made.

By combo I mean, a long gun that can fire a shotgun and rifle cartridge--something like a 20 gauge barrel and a .223 barrel for example?

Any such guns out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Combo Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
clone
July 3, 2006, 08:24 PM
NEF (h&R) and Rossi come to mind, they both can be had for around the $200 to $250 mark. i have a Rossi 22mag/12guage and have no complaints.

cpileri
July 3, 2006, 10:58 PM
baikal makes an Over-under 12ga-over-308, and 12ga-over-30'06. They're not cheap, but not 1000 bucks either.
C-

rbernie
July 4, 2006, 12:12 AM
The Savage 24F leaps to mind as the most common of the breed.

Have you ever shot a combo gun? I ask because I lusted after a 24F for AGES - right up until the point where I shot one. It didn't point well, the sights weren't really suited for rifle *or* shotgun use (unless shooting slugs at very close ranges), it was oddly balanced, and in general it acted like a committee design that tried too hard to be too many things for too many people and did nothing well.

I've been cured of the desire to ever have one.

browningguy
July 4, 2006, 12:12 AM
I think the Savage 24 is about the only thing in that price range. You can get them in 20 or 12 ga. over .223/30-06 and several other rounds.

Kymasabe
July 4, 2006, 12:22 AM
Friend of mine has an old Savage with .22WMR over a 20 gauge. What a worthless piece of crap. Neither one works well; the rifle/sights isn't all that accurate and the combo is unnaturally heavy to swing like a shotgun.

M67
July 4, 2006, 11:00 AM
I don't own one, but as a European I seem to have quite a bit more experince with them than most Americans do.

There are a lot of choices - in Europe. What is imported into the US, I don't know.

If you want a decent combo, $1000 isn't high end - rather the opposite. That makes the Baikal low end and the Savage very low end.

Also, imo a combo is a shotgun first and a rifle second. That means that one size does not fit all. You have to find one that feels good to you, it's to a large degree a question of personal taste and how the shape and balance of the gun fits your body.

trickyasafox
July 4, 2006, 11:55 AM
if you dont mind changing barrels, you might be able to track down an encore and a some used tubes in that range.

If you enjoyed reading about "Combo Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!