anyone know where to get a cheap sks ?

PDA

saf305
July 3, 2006, 09:54 PM
i have shot a few and always been intrested, and now i want one for myself

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone know where to get a cheap sks ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
saf305
July 3, 2006, 09:56 PM
i have been looking in to getting an sks with a 100rd drum a cheap bipod and scope

blackhawk2000
July 3, 2006, 09:57 PM
Dunhams, has them on sale for $99-$119 quite often. Yugo's. I picked up 3 last year, and they were in very nice condition.

OCJ
Dunhams has the Yugo 59/66's on sale for 109.99 every few weeks if you have Dunhams in your area.

saf305
ok thanks

OCJ
July 3, 2006, 09:58 PM
wow, we both posted at exactly the same time.

saf305
July 3, 2006, 09:58 PM
but i dont think there is a Dunhams around here

saf305
July 3, 2006, 10:00 PM
you keep them as is ?

saf305
July 3, 2006, 10:02 PM
any other's ?

MechAg94
July 3, 2006, 10:04 PM
I am sure you can search for SKS threads that talk about the aftermarket mags. Most people have had problems and went back to using the stock 10 round mag.

Personally, I like the ten round internal mag and a pouch full of loaded stripper clips. It satisfies the collector in me and really is not that much slower to shoot. I know it works also.

smince
July 3, 2006, 10:05 PM
i have been looking in to getting an sks with a 100rd drum

Good luck with that.

Let us know how it turns out:rolleyes:

DMK
July 3, 2006, 10:05 PM
i have been looking in to getting an sks with a 100rd drum a cheap bipod and scopeYou can't fit a drum on an SKS. Perhaps you'd rather have an AK like a WASR or SAR1.

A cheap bipod won't do anything for you but throw your shots wild, unless you get something like a Shooters Ridge that fits to the stock.

Do a search here for SKS before you buy anything. Get yourself comfortable and prepare for enough info for a couple hours reading. I just hate to see someone waste a lot of money on junk that won't work.

saf305
July 3, 2006, 10:06 PM
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/sks.html

they sale the 100rd drums

saf305
July 3, 2006, 10:07 PM
you can fit a drum if you get the removable clips

Technosavant
July 3, 2006, 10:08 PM
A few catches to modding up an SKS in that manner:

The cheap SKS's at the moment are the Yugo 59/66. It is imported under a Curio/Relic status since it has Evil Features that preclude importation as a sporting arm (seems bayonets, grenade launchers, and night sights aren't seen as "sporting" by the ATF). Any modification to the gun that changes its original configuration voids the C&R status and those evil features MUST be removed (and in most cases, the threads for the grenade launcher must be covered with a muzzle brake or similar).

You're OK doing that, up until you go with a detachable magazine. Now you must comply with the "10 or less game" required by section 922r, replacing enough parts for it to qualify as "domestically produced" according to the ATF (see the continuing theme here?).

On top of all that, the cheap models are shooter grade, meaning that the bore and barrel (and maybe even the gas valve on the 59/66) may not be in the greatest condition. If the gas valve is fried, figure on $10 or so for a new one in order to shoot semiauto. If the bore or barrel aren't in good condition, the accuracy won't be for squat (the SKS isn't notorious for it anyway).

So by now, if you have bought an excellent condition SKS ($150+), you have spent hours cleaning out the cosmoline and removing evil features. You have also invested quite a bit in US-made parts as well as the scope mount, optics, and large capacity drum. If you only spend $100 on a shooter, then you won't have the accuracy at longer ranges (so the scope will be not much more than a general "the bullets will go thataway" guide). Figure either route, you are now at $300+ and several hours of work, all for a gun that, at best, is minute of pie plate at 100 yards with most ammo.

Whew.

At this point, you may be asking yourself "why not just get an AK or something that is already 922r compliant and NOT covered in grease?" That would be a good question.

I love my SKS- it is truly great fun, and a very reliable and simple medium power rifle. But it isn't cost effective to mod up into a long range "tactical" rifle, and isn't happy in that role. It's your money, but just keep these things in mind before you go dropping cash- that cheapo SKS turns into a real money burner in a hurry once you go a-modding.

saf305
July 3, 2006, 10:10 PM
ok thanks

saf305
July 3, 2006, 10:11 PM
i am wanting it to shoot about 50 yards

saf305
July 3, 2006, 10:14 PM
and i doesnt have to be too accurate i just want it for plinkin

DMK
July 3, 2006, 10:35 PM

they sale the 100rd drumsHuh. Now that's a new one on me. :)

Ok, I change my advice then. You definately need to buy one of those, then give us a report on how it works!
:evil:

DMK
July 3, 2006, 10:38 PM
As far as finding a cheap SKS, check all the gun shops and pawn shops you can find in your area. If where you live is anything like where I live, you'll definately find at least one or two dusty Norincos tucked in the dark corners behind some 30-30 lever actions. You might get lucky and find one with a scope already on it. The price should be somewhere between $150 to $250.

Technosavant
July 3, 2006, 10:44 PM
For just plinking, I would recommend that you price out the gun, the accessories, and the time involved in the work. Then compare that to a Romanian AK with a 75 round drum, a side mounted scope mount, and your optic of choice. At 50 yards, the accuracy difference will be negligible.

Or, if you go for the SKS, I would shoot it a bit before jumping right in to a bunch of mods- you might find that it is plenty of fun as-is. Ain't no shame in a box-stock SKS.

Will Learn
July 3, 2006, 11:52 PM
Buy the SKS and spend your leftover dough on ammo. Gotta love the stripper clips.:evil:

GW
July 4, 2006, 02:26 AM
Tricking out an SKS is like putting designer clothes on a pig.
The beauty of the SKS lies in its low price, cheap ammo and reliability.
The last SKS I bought was 2 years ago, but I do recall getting the gun, 20stripper clips and a case (1000 rd) of ammo for well under $300.
The bullets fly in the general direction I point the rifle in, in some cases (minute of pie plate was an apt description.) and in others, albeit the more expensive Russian models the accuracy is surprisingly decent.
Buy the rifle, spend the accessory $$ on ammo and have fun shooting it.

buck00
July 5, 2006, 01:40 PM
Tricking out an SKS is like putting designer clothes on a pig.

I'm glad someone stepped up and said this. As always, its your money and your life, you can obviously do what you want. But I always roll my eyes when guys talk about putting scopes, bipods, tripods, chrome plating, laser dots, etc on their SKS.

I own an SKS and it is a real beauty just to shoot it the way it was originally made.

By the way, I wanted to caution you. The 100 round "drum" was the web site you mentioned is a "100 Round detachable mag". That means it is long banana mag which would look pretty goofy on the rifle.

If you want to shoot at 50 yards, a regular SKS should be fine for plinking. You can get a cheap Yugo SKS for $100 to $150. Get some stripper clips and a case of Wolf and you should be good to go. Good luck.

carterbeauford
July 5, 2006, 02:44 PM

they sale the 100rd drums

Tickbite's magazines also don't work.

My Yugo has a muzzle brake, 3-9X lighted shorty scope, ATI Dragunov stock and folding bipod, I have been considering selling it for the right price.

But I always roll my eyes when guys talk about putting scopes, bipods, tripods, chrome plating, laser dots, etc on their SKS.

I can see chrome plating or expensive scopes, but what's wrong with a bipod? SKS is a nice rifle to lay down and shoot prone. Unless one enjoys lugging around a sandbag rest or balancing the barrel on the bayonet, a bipod is a useful accessory. A lot of people enjoy building them up, it makes a nice platform for a budget tactical rifle.

If I could have done it again I would not have put a scope on it, though, the iron sights are fine.

DMK
July 5, 2006, 08:48 PM
If I could have done it again I would not have put a scope on it, though, the iron sights are fine.Actually, a low power scope is the only accessory that I thought was worthwhile for an SKS in my experience. I had a really short 4x scope solidly mounted with a Choate mount and it worked very well. Of course, that was before Law27 came out with the Tech Sight rear arperture for the SKS.

The original equipment rear sight on the SKS and AK does not work for me very well with my bad eyesight.

Aftermarket mags, bipods, muzzle brakes, they were all garbage and a waste of time and money for me. I ended up getting rid of every one of those I bought.

smince
July 5, 2006, 08:50 PM
Of course, that was before Law27 came out with the Tech Sight rear arperture for the SKS.

I like the Tech rear and the Firesight front combo.

MudPuppy
July 6, 2006, 09:39 PM
the iron sights are fine

Some of us are getting old in the eyes. Nothing wrong with a scope on an SKS (or the 30/30 either).

Not that I own stock in Tapco, but I can see the use in the AR style adjustable (erroneously refered to as collapsible) stock either. My 7yo and I share the same rifles. :)

smince
July 7, 2006, 07:42 PM
AR style adjustable (erroneously refered to as collapsible) stock

TAPCO may call it adjustable, but I believe COLT originally called it "collapsible".

kahr404life
July 7, 2006, 07:54 PM
Just about anywhere I would think:p . The SKS's from China are really cheap:what: .

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone know where to get a cheap sks ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!