FMJ harm?

PDA

Dan Tanna
July 4, 2006, 01:13 AM
I was wondering if there is any harm in shooting military surplus ammo in a new hunting rifle. I picked up a few boxes of .30-06 at Cheaper Than Dirt today just for plinking and steel plates and stuff.
Thanks.
Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "FMJ harm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Duneblade
July 4, 2006, 01:35 AM
Main thing to worry about is corrosive ammo, if it is then you can still shoot it, just people have told me to clean gun with watered down windex which kills the bad corosion stuff.

-Dune

Limeyfellow
July 4, 2006, 03:45 AM
Boiling water does the trick too. It be very rare to find though corrosive 30-06. The US has used non corrosive primers in all their ammo like that.

Diomed
July 4, 2006, 04:17 AM
It be very rare to find though corrosive 30-06. The US has used non corrosive primers in all their ammo like that.

Any surplus .30-06 from before the mid-fifties is corrosive.

Sheldon
July 4, 2006, 04:34 AM
The Korean surplus stuff with the "KA" headstamp is corrosive as well. The ones I have are dated in the 1970's.

Swampy
July 4, 2006, 08:37 AM
It be very rare to find though corrosive 30-06.

Um..... Not really. Corrosive 30-06 is quite common.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

Tyril
July 4, 2006, 05:30 PM
Corrosive 30-06 is common.

Corrosive 30 M1 (.30 carbine) is not. Because the gas system of the M1 carbine was not designed to be often taken apart, noncorrosive primers were specified in the US production 30 M1.

Some Foreign loadings did use corrosive primers, however... so take this with a grain of salt =)

-mike

mrmeval
July 4, 2006, 05:55 PM
Unless you like toxic chemicals or extreme heat nothing 'neutralizes' the potassium chloride salt. In these tests it's soap and water that is the winner.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/alittlesalt/index.asp

Steve in PA
July 5, 2006, 09:39 AM
Plain old windex is used by alot of people who shoot corrosive ammo.

Dave Markowitz
July 5, 2006, 10:19 AM
Windex works because it's mostly water, so it flushes out the salts. The ammonia in Windex will work on copper fouling, so its presence is beneficial, just not for the reason usually stated.

Dan Tanna
July 5, 2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the helpful information, guys. I will do a thorough combination of all the suggestions. Warm soapy water, then Windex, followed up by the usual gun cleaning routine. I appreciate the tips.
Dan

ball3006
July 5, 2006, 12:56 PM
with the exception of the KA Korean and pre 1954 US ammo is corrosive? The reason folks use ammonia Windex is because it has a soap as well as ammonia in it and is handy in the squirt bottle. 5 shots down the bore will do the trick and one squirt on the bolt face..........then clean as normal....chris3

If you enjoyed reading about "FMJ harm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!